• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Chrono Trigger, what is the SNES' next best RPG?

Ziocyte

1) FF VI
2) Chrono Trigger
3) Earthbound

Honorable mention: Secret of Mana

In my mid 30s now, I spent a significant chunk of my pre-teen years playing SNES RPGs. Final Fantasy tops my personal list just because that was my brother and my jam. We put the most time into that game of the four mentioned. I definitely have no qualms with people who put Chrono Trigger on the top of their list, though. I mean, at that point we are really splitting hairs among some of the greatest RPGs ever made.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Good point. Darn. Would be fun topic to actually discuss. I'd like knowing everyones actual legitimate reasoning behind their decisions.

That's pretty easy for FFV. The gameplay (and flow of the game for the first third to half) is based around the job system. And the job system is great and stands the test of time. It's a weirdly balanced game that manages to be challenging to the unfamiliar but at the same time gives incredible amounts of freedom with your job options and doesn't lock you into anything.

The story isn't anything amazing, but in the not shitty translation the game makes it work since it doesn't take itself too seriously a lot of the time. Which is appropriate for a game where the ultimate villain is a tree. And it's probably one of the less memorable Final Fantasy games musically, but the soundtrack is still solid and it gave us classics like Clash on the Big Bridge.

StereoVsn

FFVI and Secret of Mana are better JRPG than Chrono Trigger.

So the OP is confusing.

I don't think anyone can objectively prove either OP or this opinion. Well, FFVI vs Chrono Trigger that is as SoM while great is not quite as good unless the only thing that matters in a JRPG is an active battle system.

Malvingt2

After? please OP Chrono Trigger is not even in my top 15

anyway

1-FFVI
2-Seiken Densetsu 3
3-Star Ocean
4-Tales of Phantasia
5-Terraningma

it is a flip between FFVI and Seiken Densetsu 3 as the best RPG for the console... God what an era.

DJIzana

Earthbound, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, PSO Episode 1 and 2, Final Fantasy Tactics and Ragnarok Online are my favorite games of all time (in order) so I'm going with this.

zonq

IMO the Steam/iOS/Android version is EASILY the best version if you can get past the high-res sprites. The fast-forward/auto battle is such a huge improvement.

Mhhh, the bad reviews on Steam are really putting me off. But good to know that there are also QoL improvements included, so if I really feel like I need the FF/Auto Battle feature, I'll consider switching.

There is no definitive version unless you start messing with mods and emulation.

SNES version has some bugs and lacks some content and quality of life improvements in the GBA and later versions. GBA version has worse sound quality and the color is off. Translations are different and both are fine, each has its defenders and detractors.

GBA version can be modded to fix the sound and color, which is the closest thing to a definitive version.

I see. I guess I'll go with the restored GBA version for now! Thanks for the input.

JRW

Most memorable time with my SNES:

latest

Malvingt2

Which Secret of Mana are people putting against Chrono Trigger?

Seiken Densetsu 2 or Seiken Densetsu 3?

You can make an argument that CT beats in some area Seiken Densetsu 2 but Seiken Densetsu 3?

I don't think so...

Secret of Mana is so clean, such a masterpiece. Some of it doesn't hold up over time, but the gameplay is so friggin good.

FF6 and FF4 and Lagoon and others are totally in the convo obviously.

syncyes

Dragon Quest V.

I find that the thing that made Chrono Trigger great to me was the warmth and charm of its world and scenarios. In that sense it is, to me, is very DQ-esque--it's the kind of feeling I've never gotten from FF. I've always felt like that was Yuji Horii's influence on the game.

kunonabi

With so many people praising FF6 in here, what's the currently best version to play? Just get the SNES version and play it there? The Steam version does not seem convincing, reading some of the reviews. Are there any new versions that actually made improvements?

snes is still the best.

StereoVsn

Mhhh, the bad reviews on Steam are really putting me off. But good to know that there are also QoL improvements included, so if I really feel like I need the FF/Auto Battle feature, I'll consider switching.

I see. I guess I'll go with the restored GBA version for now! Thanks for the input.

Yeah, that's probably for the best. I have the iOS version but the sprites and the portraits are just not good. If you could get over them it's probably the best version. Personally I couldn't and went back to modded GBA version.

Thud

I can appreciate Chrono Trigger, however I don't love it like Earthbound. There aren't many games that take the time to make the player comfortable in the game, but doesn't baby them.

The only issue I have with Earthbound is its outdated inventory system.

120v

Which Secret of Mana are people putting against Chrono Trigger?

Seiken Densetsu 2 or Seiken Densetsu 3?

You can make an argument that CT beats in some area Seiken Densetsu 2 but Seiken Densetsu 3?

I don't think so...

replayed SD3 recently... honestly i found it to be a pretty mediocre game. back in the day i was blown away by the late gen graphics, the branching paths and leveling system. but going back to it i was just bored to tears... virtually no gameplay, just mob after mob where you're holding down A

i used to consider it one of the greats but in retrospect it doesn't hold a candle to SD2

Secret of Evermore is underrated

It was honestly an interesting experiment from Square-Soft that was also their very first RPG that was made by a completely western team. Mystic Quest was made in America too, but it was made by a Japanese team. It was a good twist on the Secret of Mana series, it used almost a similar combat system. The game itself was pretty fun if a bit short. The team went on to do some interesting things in the industry and the music was composed by Jeremy Soule. It was his very first game soundtrack.

Secret of Mana. Game is like a fine wine. Others will say FF6. They might be right.

Edit: For story and aesthetic Earthbound gets high marks however.

My head said FFVI
My heart said Secret of Mana

As epic as FFVI and its colorful cast of characters is, SoM felt like I was taking part in an adventure, not just witnessing events in a story.

Its probably why it still sticks with me today. Being able to name the main character after yourself like in Zelda, and even naming your party members made it a journey That felt like I was a part of. Also it was one of the first story driven (dialogue heavy) AJRPG that I played.

FFVI allowed you to rename characters (if I remember correctly) but jumping from character to character, place to place made the game feel like an interactive movie more than an experience.

FFVI is the right answer and one I would give to someone I didnt know, but SoM is my personal favorite and the one I would give to those looking for something that is a little more smaller and charming but still an epic adventure.

DonMigs85

While I love Secret of Mana and Evermore they're more action RPG than typical JRPG.
So my ranking would be:
1. FFVI
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Mario RPG
4. Lufia 2
5. Breath of Fire

Shepard

Tales of Phantasia is amazing. My 2nd favorite after CT. SNES version is also way better than the gba and ps1 ones too.

Top Bottom