• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Chrono Trigger, what is the SNES' next best RPG?

espher

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Lufia II
4. EarthBound
5. Shadowrun

Lots of HMs, though. Ogre Battle almost bumped Shadowrun out of my top 5, and then there are all the other great choices listed in the thread.

Console was a beast.

Paladin's Quest. It takes a pastel-colored poop on every other jrpg on the SNES. Chezni was the most underrated hero and his story arc stayed with me for over 20 years! And the final boss being that one midget who accompanied you at the very beginning...pure genius. You owe it to yourself to experience the magic (but no MP!) that is Paladin's Quest.

But probably Final Fantasy VI would be the better choice.

pezzie

FFVI is the best RPG on SNES, though Chrono Trigger is quite alright.

After that and FFIV, I'd consider Secret of Mana. I loved that one a lot, especially with friends.

Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Lufia 2
Terranigma
Final Fantasy 4, 5, and 6
Ogre Battle
Breath of Fire 2
Earthbound
RoboTrek
Soul Blazer

All acceptable answers

kennyamr

After FFVI, Crono Trigger is the best JRPG for the SNES you mean right?

Exactly. FFVI is simply amazing, for me at least.

Also, every person has a different favorite so it's never fair to call something 'undisputed' because people will disagree.

Neither do I.

I will always remember the great LTTP that Griss wrote about Earthbound, which stated some of my beefs with the game much more eloquently than I ever could.

It's definitely not for everyone. You have to have good taste to appreciate it.

In all seriousness, I think the genius of Earthbound is appreciated based on how much the nature of the game resonates with your life experiences growing up. Most of what makes it the greatest achievement of the 16bit era and beyond isn't really about the gameplay, from a traditional sense, but something deeper and much more meaningful.

Nutcasey

Final Fantasy VI is the best RPG on the SNES by some distance. Chrono is good but doesn't touch greatness of Final Fantasy VI.

It's definitely not for everyone. You have to have good taste to appreciate it.

Final Fantasy VI is the best RPG on the SNES by some distance. Chrono is good but doesn't touch greatness of Final Fantasy VI.

200.gif

Lothars

Well considering Chrono Trigger and FFVI are tied for best SNES RPG, the one after that is Super Mario RPG.

Secret of Mana, or Mario RPG.

Earthbound is *very* rough, but it's worth a play for the experience.

FF6 is just boring though.
It's not boring though. It's in the top 5 best games of the SNES easily could even be number 1.

Earthbound, because games go beyond just mechanics and analyzing everything in an over cynical way (and it's also pretty fun)

Super Mario RPG because it's just too goddamn fun

SNES had so many great rpgs, cant decide between secret of mana, FF VI, earthbound, Super mario RPG, Tactics Ogre, etc. I dont even know if Chrono Trigger really is the best one, granted I played it years later on the DS.

Opa-Pa

Probably Earthbound, unless you actually care about gameplay and that sort of stuff.

I really like FFV! Not sure if CT is the best, though.

Type40

Hell even Secret of Evermore is better than Chono Trigger.

Illusion of gaia, earthbound, Mario rpg, ff6, secret of mana, ff4, evermore and then Chronotrigger.

Manzanas

Neo Member
I'd say Final Fantasy VI is better than Chrono Trigger.
Also Earthbound is kinda boring.
Mother 3 is so much better! Its my favorite rpg.

Final Fantasy V is the most endlessly replayable SNES RPG.

But for transcendent first-time experiences, I'd go Chrono Trigger > Final Fantasy VI > EarthBound. Final Fantasy IV would be in there somewhere too for personal reasons, since it was my first RPG ever.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The undisputed first place aside, which other SNES RPG is worthy of playing even in 2017, and why?

Says who?

Breath of fire 2 is better
After that one lufia 2
Tales of phantasia.
Ff5
Ff6
Star ocean
Chrono is overated and should not even be in the top 10

Muffdraul

Omg, you totally convinced me with your nuanced argument or what is a subjective answer. Totally LOL worthy am I right guys?

Oh gosh I'm sorry, was I supposed to provide more nuance and justification detail than the troglodyte I was replying to? I didn't get the memo.

Chrono Trigger > FFVI > Terranigma > Earthbound > Lufia 2 > Super Mario RPG > FFIV and so on

Terranigma and FFVI switch places from time to time, though.

Sölf;230166027 said:
Well, since Lufia 2 is obviously before Chrono Trigger, I would say it's probably Terranigma.

HEATHEN! Nothing is better than time travel combined with JRPGs! NOTHING, I TELLS YA!!

-MB-

Terranigma easily. ( And imho it is even better than Trigger)

And of course Lufia 2 and Secret of Mana deserve a mention here.

Earthbound still holds up.
I haven't replayed Soul Blazer since the SNES days so I am not sure if it holds up but I really liked it back then. Anyone replayed it recently? Is it just average?

Top Bottom