• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires Online and Microsoft Flight just removed from Steam

I asked this question in the steam thread and a couple of people told me that even if the store page has been removed, the keys for the games are still valid. If you have Dark Souls in your Steam inventory you should be golden then/

Good to hear.

I just wish that Steam had the option of when you redeem a key, that you had an option whether to add it to your steam library or to store it in your inventory, similar to when you buy a game from them directly.

Oh, same here, absolutely. My only thought for why that's not included (besides "they haven't gotten around to it yet") is that maybe it's a measure to cut down on people amassing cheap keys on their accounts, and flooding trades and such with them. But they really should add it, at this point.

To be honest, every game you purchase on Steam should count as in your "inventory" until the first time you install it or run it on a computer via that account. Meaning tradable, giftable, and so forth.

I remember when AoE Online launched and they ran a large sale. The bundle that unlocked all the civs and regular competitive online play was $20 and I was seriously considering it.

So fucking glad I ended up skipping it. I now have AoE II HD, whose online netcode is still spotty but at least it's not fucking shutting down in a couple years' time.

Grief.exe

I remember when AoE Online launched and they ran a large sale. The bundle that unlocked all the civs and regular competitive online play was $20 and I was seriously considering it.

So fucking glad I ended up skipping it. I now have AoE II HD, whose online netcode is still spotty but at least it's not fucking shutting down in a couple years' time.

AoEO is actually shutting down in less than a year.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Here's the thing, Age of Empires Online doesn't appear in your library UNTIL you download it and now that the store page is gone....where would you download it?

you'd need someone to tell you the app number and then go to steam://install/appnumber in your browser. that might work.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So really, the game is removed from the libraries of people who don't currently have it installed.

I don't know, honestly. I've never installed it so I can't tell you.

I can tell you that the app number thing still works.

If you still want to install AoE Online for some reason, copy this in your browser:
steam://install/105430

I don't know, honestly. I've never installed it so I can't tell you.

I can tell you that the app number thing still works.

If you still want to install AoE Online for some reason, copy this in your browser:
steam://install/105430

Yeah that works, thanks. I saved it to a notepad file in case I uninstall it in the next year. Still don't understand why Steam doesn't put the game in your library, must be a free to play thing.

Grief.exe

Added some information to the OP.

Games for Windows Live Marketplace on Xbox.com is shutting down today, as a product of this, Microsoft is removing GFWL games that it has published from other retailers as well.

Will I be able to purchase Games for Windows Live games in other marketplaces now that Games for Windows Live titles are no longer available on Xbox.com?

Games for Windows Live titles published by Microsoft are no longer available for purchase from any marketplace. For other titles, please check directly with the title’s publishers.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/pc-games/pc-marketplace-closing

There are several other GFWL titles published by Microsoft that haven't been removed yet.

Fable III
Toy Soldiers (Has an option to install a version without GFWL)
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (Getting GFWL patched out)
Iron Brigade
Gears of War and Halo Trilogy (I can dream)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Multiple people, myself included, contacted Double Fine about Iron Brigade. The response has been categorically that it's Microsoft's game, the ball is in Microsoft's court, and it's up to MS to initiate the patch-out process or pay them to.

Grief.exe

Multiple people, myself included, contacted Double Fine about Iron Brigade. The response has been categorically that it's Microsoft's game, the ball is in Microsoft's court, and it's up to MS to initiate the patch-out process or pay them to.

Good luck with that.

Microsoft doesn't seem to care too much about residual income. Even on games that would be very popular like Halo and Gears of War.

jediyoshi

Yeah that works, thanks. I saved it to a notepad file in case I uninstall it in the next year. Still don't understand why Steam doesn't put the game in your library, must be a free to play thing.

Because there's also no hiding games option, it'd be a hassle to deal with a bunch if you only mean to quickly check some out. Generally, if you buy content for a f2p game through steam, it will just stay in your library even after uninstalling.

antitrop

If FROM is going to make Dark Souls II work on PC they can practice by figuring out how to patch Steamworks into Dark Souls: Prepare to Die.

jediyoshi

The latest Steam beta has the following update:

So I am guessing it was in response to this being pulled.

So weird, I feel like it's been that way even in the default client for a while now.

edit: Checking through my records, it was probably just ingame market transactions and not 'dlc'. Weird distinction on their part if they did it intentionally originally

LeHNu3u.png

Because there's also no hiding games option, it'd be a hassle to deal with a bunch if you only mean to quickly check some out. Generally, if you buy content for a f2p game through steam, it will just stay in your library even after uninstalling.

Not this one, I have bought content for this game through Steam but since the content requires the base game (which is F2P), it doesn't show up in the library until you install it.

So weird, I feel like it's been that way even in the default client for a while now.

edit: Checking through my records, it was probably just ingame market transactions and not 'dlc'. Weird distinction on their part if they did it intentionally originally

LeHNu3u.png

Wow, you must really like that game

Dipswitch

I'll say this again in case MS is listening: how they handle the GFWL situation will directly impact my console buying decision next gen and my faith in their digital wares going forward. And this is coming from someone who has had zero issues with GFWL, is a subscriber to 3 of their subscription services and a heavy user of their other products.

kuYuri

What about Bulletstorm? I'm guessing Epic will probably patch that one, but not Gears of War. I dunno.

Epic surprised me with the Titan/Black update for UT3 even when that game wasn't doing that well, but at this point, I'm pretty sure Bulletstorm has been thrown under the bus for a long time now.

Grief.exe

Does Microsoft hate money?

They never bothered to make GfWL a good service.

Good riddance.

I've noticed that the bigger the corporation gets, the less they care about smaller profits.

Something like releasing Halo Trilogy on Steam would be immensely profitable for little initial investment, yet they won't do it. Or they will drag their feet until it eventually gets done.
That profit is a drop in the bucket for a company like Microsoft that deals in a serious amounts of money every year.

Hell, just look at their net profit 21,863,000,000. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=msft+Income+Statement&annual

so what happens to those that purchased the DLC for Microsoft Flight on the Steam store? does Steam or Microsoft plan on issuing refunds or credit?

Byshop

AoEO is actually shutting down in less than a year.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. XBL Marketplace shuts down today but the XBL service itself is going away in a year and AoEO is the -only- game that Microsoft has specifically come out and said will cease to function when that happens, so I'm not surprised that they'd remove it from online stores.

It would actually be worse if they had left it up.

LeHNu3u.png

Ah, so you are the reason Nexon is a billion-dollar company.

This is why I only buy games from GOG and Steamworks-enabled ones. I don't trust any other company to be in it for the long haul, not Microsoft, not EA, not Ubisoft.

kuYuri

PC webstore is still up, despite it being the 23rd here on the east coast, lol.

EDIT: Wait a minute, now it says they are closing the store on August 25th.

As part of the recent Xbox 360 system update, Microsoft Points will be retired and the Xbox.com PC Marketplace will be closed as of August 25, 2013. We encourage you to spend your Microsoft Points balance prior to this change. Although you will not be able to purchase new games, you can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading it through the Games for Windows Live client software as usual.

I guess they changed it?

I'm so scared we are going to lose so many games when these online stores shut down one by one. We almost need something like government regulation to make a mandatory "work offline" patch should something like Origin get abandoned.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guess I should buy Lost Planet: Colonies ASAP to try to get the level 100 eh?
if the 360 version and PC version achievement lists are one and the same, otherwise fuck that.

Grief.exe

PC webstore is still up, despite it being the 23rd here on the east coast, lol.

EDIT: Wait a minute, now it says they are closing the store on August 25th.

I guess they changed it?

It would probably be Pacific time considering where Microsoft is located, but I guess they did change the date.

More time for them to do a dollar sale on all of their games.

Guess I should buy Lost Planet: Colonies ASAP to try to get the level 100 eh?
if the 360 version and PC version achievement lists are one and the same, otherwise fuck that.

There are actually two versions of Lost Planet on Steam.

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition is Steamworks
Lost Planet: Colonies is GFWL

EA is in for the long run, you can count on it.

On the PC? With Origin? I very much doubt it but we'll see.

Such faith in Valve....amazing.

I'm not putting faith in them because they're dreamy and awesome or anything like that. They have two defining characteristics that make me believe they will be around for a long time: One, they're a big company with an established presence and two, their main business is on the PC.

Grief.exe

On the PC? With Origin? I very much doubt it but we'll see.

Origin is here, they have the user base. They aren't going anywhere.

I'm turning my focus on Uplay.

I'm not putting faith in them because they're dreamy and awesome or anything like that. They have two defining characteristics that make me believe they will be around for a long time: One, they're a big company with an established presence and two, their main business is on the PC.

Far and away the best reason to get behind Valve is they are a private company.

If they were a public company they would have already taken away the Steamworks platform and released Half-Life 6 at this point.

DocSeuss

I wonder if this is why Microsoft Flight showed up in my games list this afternoon, like I owned it or something (where before, if you delete an F2P title, you can't get it back).

I never could play Flight. GFWL always told me someone else was already using the key.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if this is why Microsoft Flight showed up in my games list this afternoon, like I owned it or something (where before, if you delete an F2P title, you can't get it back).

This is a feature of the latest Steam client beta: any F2P games for which you own DLC are now permanently tied to your library (which, really, ought to have been the case from the off).

Grief.exe

This is a feature of the latest Steam client beta: any F2P games for which you own DLC are now permanently tied to your library (which, really, ought to have been the case from the off).

I wonder if this will retroactively go back and add something like League of Legends to your account.

I know Valves payment policies were different them, so it probably won't happen.

Top Bottom