• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires Online and Microsoft Flight just removed from Steam

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if this will retroactively go back and add something like League of Legends to your account.

I know Valves payment policies were different them, so it probably won't happen.

The applicable games are automatically re-added to your library, even if they are no longer available; for example, I have Battle for Graxia in my list despite the game being shut down a couple of months ago and consequently pulled from the store. LoL, from what I can gather, had no DLC on the Steam store, so it's not covered by the change.

Grief.exe

The applicable games are automatically re-added to your library, even if they are no longer available; for example, I have Battle for Graxia in my list despite the game being shut down a couple of months ago and consequently pulled from the store. LoL, from what I can gather, had no DLC on the Steam store, so it's not covered by the change.

Thanks for the info.

This should have been available for yonks. Regardless of the fact that the developers want the game removed from Steam, you still paid money for their product.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for the info.

This should have been available for yonks. Regardless of the fact that the developers want the game removed from Steam, you still paid money for their product.

I hope this is a stepping stone to free games -- not F2P games, but regular games like Super Crate Box -- being tethered to accounts.

I'm not putting faith in them because they're dreamy and awesome or anything like that. They have two defining characteristics that make me believe they will be around for a long time: One, they're a big company with an established presence and two, their main business is on the PC.

...and this reasoning doesn't apply to Microsoft? I am pretty sure that most of Microsoft business in on PC. Windows, Office, their development software, etc....

If you believe that Steam can't fail....well...I hope you don't.

...and this reasoning doesn't apply to Microsoft? I am pretty sure that most of Microsoft business in on PC. Windows, Office, their development software, etc....

If you believe that Steam can't fail....well...I hope you don't.

Valve isn't going out of business anytime soon and if they were, someone would buy Steam up to continue service. With millions of dedicated customers Steam isnt going away anytime soon and since the games are attached to our accounts people will continue buying more games going forward.

So can Steam fail? Sure. It can fail, Google can fail, the U.S. could collapse, we could get hit by a comet that would destroy all of civilization. Not something that keeps me awake at night.

Valve isn't going out of business anytime soon and if they were, someone would buy Steam up to continue service. With millions of dedicated customers Steam isnt going away anytime soon and since the games are attached to our accounts people will continue buying more games going forward.

So can Steam fail? Sure. It can fail, Google can fail, the U.S. could collapse, we could get hit by a comet that would destroy all of civilization. Not something that keeps me awake at night.

Did you really just equate Steam failing with a comet destroying civilization? I am going to read into that you really think Steam can't fail.

Did you really just equate Steam failing with a comet destroying civilization? I am going to read into that you really think Steam can't fail.

And the U.S. crashing, Google failing, and more. IE, things that can happen which aren't likely to happen. You may also walk out f your home tomorrow, get in your car, and get hit by a drunk driver and die. Happens every day.

anything can fail. as long as pc gaming is around steam will be as well.people didnt buy from gfwl because they knew it couldnt be trusted like steam.

PC gaming was around before Steam, you do know that right?

And videogames were around before Nintendo. Does that mean you believe Nintendo is going to go uder and cease making games? Same with Sony? Same with MS? Cars were around before Honda. Should folks be concerned Honda will go caput? Movies were around before Disney. Should we be concerned Disney isn't safe?

And videogames were around before Nintendo. Does that mean you believe Nintendo is going to go uder and cease making games? Same with Sony? Same with MS? Cars were around before Honda. Should folks be concerned Honda will go caput? Movies were around before Disney. Should we be concerned Disney isn't safe?

Is anyone claiming that the future of video games is dependent on Nintendo or the future of cars is dependent on Honda? No, but the argument is being made that PC games are dependent on Steam.

of course but look at where pc gaming has moved now.its all digital.

That can change at any time. Also, all digital doesn't equal Steam. There are other DD services and sometimes devs distribute games themselves from their website.

Valnen

Is anyone claiming that the future of video games is dependent on Nintendo or the future of cars is dependent on Honda? No, but the argument is being made that PC games are dependent on Steam.

I would not play PC games anymore if Steam went away. Steam is what got me back into PC gaming on non MMO's. PC gaming was shit before Steam, so much hassle.

The health of PC gaming and it's Continual growth is tied in a way to Steam. People are emotionally attached to their Steam account. If Steam goes under, folks will continue buying Pc games as long as their accounts live on and the company that were to buy Steam continued Valve's business model. If for some reason these two things didnt happen folks would be less hesitant to buy as many PC games as they currently do.

Top Bottom