• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello on Project Scorpio and the future of Xbox (Inner Circle Podcast)

I doubt this system will be using zen. I mean maybe but zen will still be new by next fall. Will there be a mobile version of it ready by then?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
What I will say is that just because we have the prospect of an Xbox being the most powerful console again, it still doesn't mean that resolution is the be all and end all of IQ.

I don't doubt that Scorpio will be capable of 4K, but using that same power to produce 1080p with good AA, good motion blur, better lighting, better textures etc. is a much better use of that power IMO.

Ushay

It's because the best graphics cards in the PC market can't consistently do 4K at 60 FPS - hence the skepticism. But maybe developers can optimize the code for the Scorpio better than they can on PC... I don't know. But to me it's more likely that developers will have to downgrade the resolution to achieve 60 FPS.

I'm no expert, but doesn't console optimization supersede PC in like for like configurations?

I'm no expert, but doesn't console optimization supersede PC in like for like configurations?

PC finally has similar API's to consoles in DX12 and Vulkan, so that should close most of the gap. DX11 and OGL have extremely high overhead compared to console API's.

Trup1aya

It's true this gen.
The PC is not the lead platform for current multi-platforms.

I'm not talking about current pipelines using cage files from high-poly sculpts to add normal and height map details to character models (which was also happening at the end of last gen)

There are a couple exceptions, but many if not most of current gen multis use PC as the lead platform.

Electret

I doubt this system will be using zen. I mean maybe but zen will still be new by next fall. Will there be a mobile version of it ready by then?

In a recent thread about Zen, someone linked the following article: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-08/amd-grafikkarten-marktanteil/

Polaris to prior rumors in the coming revised consoles from Microsoft and Sony stuck where they are however still paired with old cores - opposite of some recent media reports even with Microsoft's Xbox Scorpio . Zen cores and new graphics as semi-custom solution, it should not be before 2018. hinted AMD boss Lisa Su in small groups.

It's a single sentence buried in translation of a German article, so I've no idea whether it should be taken with a grain of salt or not. If true, it would suggest no Zen for Scorpio.

quest

Not Banned from OT

If that is the case then that means they lied about VR support. Sony is the only one who has a VR solution that works on a jaguar level CPU. MS is not making their own VR device so that leaves 3rd party devices. None of them is working with the jaguar CPU. That is our best hope for a Zen CPU.

If that is the case then that means they lied about VR support. Sony is the only one who has a VR solution that works on a jaguar level CPU. MS is not making their own VR device so that leaves 3rd party devices. None of them is working with the jaguar CPU. That is our best hope for a Zen CPU.

I dont think its Jaguar CPU either.

Bsigg12

In a recent thread about Zen, someone linked the following article: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-08/amd-grafikkarten-marktanteil/

It's a single sentence buried in translation of a German article, so I've no idea whether it should be taken with a grain of salt or not. If true, it would suggest no Zen for Scorpio.

Scorpio looks it it may be coming out with the Raven Ridge release. This would make a ton of sense based on what Microsoft is trying hit in terms of performance.

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-based-cpu-summit-ridge-apu-raven-ridge-spotted-aida64-changelog/

http://wccftech.com/amd-roadmap-2016-2017-leaked-zen/

quest

Not Banned from OT
So a tech question, I probably wont play Scorpio on a 4k tv right away. So I will probably have this plugged into my 1080tv. Would the down sample make like text really difficult to read?

I remember Banjo Kazzoie Nuts and Bolts had a problem on my SD tv and the text was blurry as fuck. This was because I wasnt on an HD tv at the time. I was a struggling college student at the time.

krang

So a tech question, I probably wont play Scorpio on a 4k tv right away. So I will probably have this plugged into my 1080tv. Would the down sample make like text really difficult to read?

I remember Banjo Kazzoie Nuts and Bolts had a problem on my SD tv and the text was blurry as fuck. This was because I wasnt on an HD tv at the time. I was a struggling college student at the time.

Try setting the output on an XB1 to 720p and see if you have the same issue with any games? I think in general HUDs tend to be native resolution, these days.

Journey

Banned
Going for 4K with XBO assets would be really stupid.

Unless those assets are from games like Ryse Son of Rome :p

Heck I would love to see Forza Horizon 3 at 4K/30fps, the game already looks amazing at 1080p, but we are talking about end of 2017, so we could be looking at Forza Horizon 4 on Scorpio running at 4K, that would be orgasmic and totally doable.

Fortunately they did say that they're not forcing developers to go with 4K, instead they can choose what to do with the extra power, so that's that, no more worries lol.

Top Bottom