• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello on Project Scorpio and the future of Xbox (Inner Circle Podcast)

quest

Not Banned from OT
They'll be a year late to the party, they need to show a big graphical jump from Neo to get my money.

1440P is not an option on HDTVs...their console may not be a true 4K box...

At least with Neo is can do 1080p 60fps and helps the PSVR graphics as well.

Don't get your hopes up for the NEO. It will be a great 1080p/30 machine but most games will be extremely CPU limited. The Scorpio will be in the same boat if they don't use a Zen CPU. People are looking at the wrong side of things its all about the CPU if we want our 60fps at 1080p. I rather MS cut some costs on the GPU side to get the Zen in there.

Some intentionally obtuse people in here or what?

Scorpio will play games like Forza 5 that XB1 run at 1080/60 at 4K/60

Scorpio will not play games like Rise of the Tomb Raider that XB1 run at 1080/30 at 4K/60.

The quote is right in the OP

This means theyre striving so that if a game was originally performing at 60fps it can run at 4K 60fps if the devs choose that, Uncompromised 4K means Scorpio is 4K 60fps capable

Forza 5

Xbox One = 1080/60
Scorpio = 4K/60

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Xbox One = 1080/30
Scorpio = 4K/30

shoreu

It's not being obtuse nor stirring up anything just wish they would stop with that.
Just not cool suggesting all accessories will work across them when they won't that is if VR support is even 100% confirmed, nor will all games. You may know better but still it confuses things.

I don't think a support feature they don't own counts as an accessory they simply would be making the functionality and allowing Oculus and I guess Vive to work on their system.

It only makes sense that a product that requires so much power would only work on the Scorpio as the XB1 is lacking in that area.

I also feel as if they are going to use "Xbox Connect" as a marker to signify things that will work on all platforms.

dose

Obviously, if you want to be pissy about it. But with all the new resolution techniques that are being used, plus dynamic scaling etc, I believe a game can still be classed as 4K even when it's not technically accurate.
You may believe it, but you'd be completely wrong. It doesn't matter what effects they use, if the output from Scorpio is not 4k it can't be classed as 4k. Period. How is that hard to understand?
And also, pissy? Lol, I'm talking facts, I'm not being pissy at all.

Ushay

Play Anywhere allows for bigger userbase and added revenue will go towards creating and supporting new IP's at Microsoft, however theres still "plenty of work to do"

This makes sense, hope it really does add to the IP revenue stream.

anothertech

Never done an avatar bet... but would be comfortable taking on this one. Would need to define what "looking like ass" pertains though. Seeing as the current Xbox does Forza Motorsport games at 1080p/60fps, I can't see a reason to doubt Scorpio playing the same game at 4k/60fps. The machine will have more than 4x the graphical processing power, and in many cases Xbox One games fall to sub-1080p as a result of the memory layout, not because the GPU couldn't push it otherwise.
Would you be comfortable with this:
3 AAA games running 4k60 native, in the first 3 years of Scorpio, excluding Forza.

I'm betting it won't happen. No upscaling/uprendering nonsense. Have to be native render.

I'm excluding Forza because they make all kinds of iq compromises already to hit their targets. So want to see 3 separate AAA games. Halo, Gears or what have you :)

I'm betting 4k30 will be the norm, due to CPU bottleneck. That's my bet. Let me know If you accept.

anothertech

For some games there is no mystery.

Killer Instinct runs 4k 60fps on a 970/980 on highest settings. There's room to spare on 980

Forza Apex runs at 4k 60fps with settings higher than Xbox One on a 970oc/980.

Assassins Creed Unity and demanding games run at around 3200x1800 with higher settings than Xbox One and look damn good still on 970oc/980

I've also had Rise of the Tomb Raider running at 4k 35-40fps with similar settings to Xbox One in most areas and drops to 25-30 in other areas. Console games usually drop down to 25 or below lets not forget.
with what CPU tho? :) fps constraints are not just GPU centric.

Scorpio will not play games like Rise of the Tomb Raider that XB1 run at 1080/30 at 4K/60.

Forza 5

Xbox One = 1080/60
Scorpio = 4K/60

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Xbox One = 1080/30
Scorpio = 4K/30

It seems like an easy enough concept to grasp, yet some people here are convinced that there will be absolutely no games that will be able to run at 4k/60 natively.

Proelite

3 AAA games running 4k60 native, in the first 3 years of Scorpio, excluding Forza.

I'm betting it won't happen. No upscaling/uprendering nonsense. Have to be native render.

I'm excluding Forza because they make all kinds of iq compromises already to hit their targets. So want to see 3 separate AAA games. Halo, Gears or what have you :)

I'm betting 4k30 will be the norm, due to CPU bottleneck. That's my bet. Let me know If you accept.

Forza not counting due to lacking IQ despite being AAA and 1080p 60fps.

You can easily move goal posts for the Scorpio releases for some arbitrary self selected criteria.

With that said, I am expecting all 3 COD games and Forza 6 to be 4k 60fps on Scorpio at the least.

I am up for any bet. I'll take your avatar bet.

Edit:

Add Madden, Fifa, PES, nba 2k14, all the big sports title to the list.

anothertech

With that said, I am expecting all 3 COD games and Forza 6 to be 4k 60fps on Scorpio at the least.

Let's keep it simple then. That right there will be the bet. 3 COD games and Forza 6 all native 4k60, no dynamic or upscaling techniques. It's an avatar bet :)

Proelite

Let's keep it simple then. That right there will be the bet. 3 COD games and Forza 6 all native 4k60, no dynamic or upscaling techniques. It's an avatar bet :)
No your bet was no more than two AAA excluding forza. I am betting that there will be more than two AAA excluding Forza within 3 years of Scorpio launch.

Don't back peddle now you realized you've fucked up.

anothertech

No your bet was no more than two AAA excluding forza. I am betting that there will be more than two AAA excluding Forza within 3 years of Scorpio launch.

Don't back peddle now you realized you've fucked up.
lol you said you'd take any bet, I was just going with your suggestions :)

shanew21

But not all games will.
Also, games running in 4k native? Is that doable?
Yes it's doable.

Here's the example I keep using. Take Halo 5. It runs at 60fps and slightly less than 1080p. The Scorpio is roughly 4.5x the power of the Xbox One. That means if they wanted to, Halo 5 could run at 4K and 60fps on Scorpio (requires roughly 4.5 times the power). However, this would still run with the same textures, geometry, lighting, etc. as the Xbox One version.

The choice is there for the developer to run games like that, but they could also use that power to do whatever they wanted to.

Indie games maybe. Games like Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, GTA 5 ... no.

Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, GTA 5 are not 1080p/60 on Xbox One today. That has been my whole point in all my post. Games that are 1080p/60 on the Xbox One (very few) are the ones that will end up being 4k/60 on the Scorpio.

And for all you guys making bets, here's one you don't have to wait 4 years for. I'm willing to bet money, that we'll see at least 2 games (of any kind) that will run at 4k/60 on the Scorpio at next years E3.

krang

Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, GTA 5 are not 1080p/60 on Xbox One today. That has been my whole point in all my post. Games that are 1080p/60 on the Xbox One (very few) are the ones that will end up being 4k/60 on the Scorpio.

And for all you guys making bets, here's one you don't have to wait 4 years for. I'm willing to bet money, that we'll see at least 2 games (of any kind) that will run at 4k/60 on the Scorpio at next years E3.

Only 2?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Have to be dumb to take this bet, as it includes low graphical impact indie games.

jelly

Can you fit two texture packs on one disc and if not will Scorpio get content packs to download for extra eye candy?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Never done an avatar bet... but would be comfortable taking on this one. Would need to define what "looking like ass" pertains though. Seeing as the current Xbox does Forza Motorsport games at 1080p/60fps, I can't see a reason to doubt Scorpio playing the same game at 4k/60fps. The machine will have more than 4x the graphical processing power, and in many cases Xbox One games fall to sub-1080p as a result of the memory layout, not because the GPU couldn't push it otherwise.

Pure GPU adds up, but memory bandwidth may not. You mention the xb1 may be prevented from hitting 1080p in some games due to the memory layout, but Scorpio isn't getting 4x the memory bandwidth so 4K/60 may still be challenging even if the GPU core performance was capable of that

Have to be dumb to take this bet, as it includes low graphical impact indie games.

Well, there's guys here that are absolutely sure that those aren't even possible at 4k/60fps. I'll make it less risky for you (or anybody), you put up whatever amount you want and I'll double it if I lose.

I'd be looking at Madden, FIFA and Forza being safe bets for next year.

That's what I think as well, but hey it's probably impossible with only 6teraflops.

Corine

You guys might wanna be a bit more clear on the 60fps part for the bet :) Like how stable that 60fps has to be. A lot of games including CoD claim to be 60fps on consoles yet have very large drops in framerate.

Forza 5

Xbox One = 1080/60
Scorpio = 4K/60

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Xbox One = 1080/30
Scorpio = 4K/30

This guy gets it.

ganaconda

This guy gets it.

Makes sense. Figured as much myself as well. What about the majority of games which run at 900P on Xbox One? Is the goal to make those be able to run at native 4K too or is the expectation that they would be able to run natively at some resolution just south of 4K, i.e. 1800P?

Bizzquik

Albert, please tell third-party publishers that many of us just want 60fps.

I want 60fps Far Cry 5, 60fps Resident Evil 8, 60fps Bioshock 4.

From there, I'm totally fine with my Scorpio upressing to 4K and calling it a day.

rokkerkory

No No my $4,000 Macbook from 10 years ago can't do 4K so your 2017 console will not be able to run Xbox One games in 4K & this is a fact!

You are going to be very sad when it does. There's no reason why scorpio can't run Forza 6 in 4k60.

onQ123

By the way @Albert Penello will Scorpio still use ESRAM or will it be using a small amount of HBM for cache? or just going with a single pool of GDDR5 without the cache?

Synth

Yea, I'd take that...

...though I also expect 4k30 to be the norm as well. The two aren't conflicting with each other. If it plays out like 1080p60, then you'll lose your bet, and 4k30 will be the norm.

Pure GPU adds up, but memory bandwidth may not. You mention the xb1 may be prevented from hitting 1080p in some games due to the memory layout, but Scorpio isn't getting 4x the memory bandwidth so 4K/60 may still be challenging even if the GPU core performance was capable of that

Well, this is something of an unknown, yea. However the only "fast" memory the XB1 had was the 32mb EDRAM which isn't generally enough to hold the 1080p buffer. The rest of the XB1's memory is less than 1/4 the Scorpio's bandwidth (320GB/s). The amount given for Scorpio is in line with that of a GTX1080 so I'd imagine it wouldn't be a limiting factor for 4K, so long as no dodgy split memory math is at work again.

Forza not counting due to lacking IQ despite being AAA and 1080p 60fps.

You can easily move goal posts for the Scorpio releases for some arbitrary self selected criteria.

Edit:

Add Madden, Fifa, PES, nba 2k14, all the big sports title to the list.
Forza is 1080p with Msaa2x, even if the IQ is lacking it's pretty much the best xbone or ps4 could hope for.

Forza 5

Xbox One = 1080/60
Scorpio = 4K/60

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Xbox One = 1080/30
Scorpio = 4K/30

I still hope devs choose to go for "Super Forza 5" / "Super TR" @ 1080p instead of just (!) delivering the very same XBOX One game pushed to 4k (at whatever fps). Which is what I read from this.

anothertech

This guy gets it.
Hey Albert. So, basically majority of games won't hit that 4k60fps mark then? Similar to Xbone, 1080p60fps situation?

A lot of people seem to think '4k60fps capable' means all their AAA games will be able to hit that 60fps mark at 4kres when it probably won't be the case.

I'd be more willing to believe games like the new Forza even would be using dynamic res like Halo5 did to reach the 60fps mark.

Is that about right?

onQ123

Hey Albert. So, basically majority of games won't hit that 4k60fps mark then? Similar to Xbone, 1080p60fps situation?

A lot of people seem to think '4k60fps capable' means all their AAA games will be able to hit that 60fps mark at 4kres when it probably won't be the case.

I'd be more willing to believe games like the new Forza even would be using dynamic res like Halo5 did to reach the 60fps mark.

Is that about right?

Who are these people who think that "'4k60fps capable' means all their AAA games will be able to hit that 60fps mark at 4kres"?

I only remember seeing the people like you who flat out said it couldn't do 4K 60fps unless it was low polygon like Wii sports or something

Pardon my ignorance in these technical matters but is this box going to offer better fidelity of the games themselves or is it just an improvement in resolution? The rumours surrounding Neo is that it will offer improved graphical fidelity for games on a 1080p TV, is Scorpio going offer the same thing for non 4K TV owners?

cakely

says who?

Polls. Most of the them. All of them?

screenshot-says-who-cnn.jpg

statham

Pardon my ignorance in these technical matters but is this box going to offer better fidelity of the games themselves or is it just an improvement in resolution? The rumours surrounding Neo is that it will offer improved graphical fidelity for games on a 1080p TV, is Scorpio going offer the same thing for non 4K TV owners?

Devs can use the power however they like, like Neo. BF1 isn't goingto be 4k but probably 1080/60 on scorpio instead of 720p. plus you get downsampling on anything over 1080p, which really makes games look nicer. even at 1080p Scorpio games should look better then Neo games. Unless they go for parity.

Top Bottom