• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienation review thread

bombshell

Right, I hope someone in here will be able to help.

I pre ordered the game months ago, yesterday It started pre-loading but I then had an email that it had been canceled due to payment error. (My card is expired and I've not added my new one)

Why did the game and theme still download with a timer ticking away? This has never happened before.

The cancellation only took away your license, but not the ability to download the game.

Trashbat

Think there's any chance of them adding couch co-op.

Loved dead nation for exactly this reason, but i'll sit this one out unless added.

Sony's off to a great start this year.
With the exception of SFV ;)
SFV reviewed well and is an amazing game. Just super light on SP features and online was a bit wonky for a month. I get it that it's the new fun thing to shit on the game but it's come a long way in just a month. Should be great once June hits.

RichGS

so does the weapon loot system ever give you any real unique weapon capabilities or it's all just stats?

Yeah, more often than not, legendary weapons have a unique skill that is enabled by filling the core slots that lead to it. Pretty sure that rares can have them too.

My shotgun gives me a boomerang skill whenever I use a melee attack. It's neat!

It's come to the point where I'm only checking reviews to see if there's something fundamentally wrong with the game for the titles I'm interested in.

Alienation checks out. Time to pre-order and preload.

BigDug13

One thing I noticed in the review was that enemies scale to your stats. If that's the case, what's the point of stat-based loot if there is never a difference in how powerful you feel compared to the enemies you fight?

I don't really like games like Oblivion that straight up scales all enemies to your level and this sounds even worse where they scale to your stats.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-ordered the other day and reading reviews, it seems like the only major negative is that the story campaign is short and meant to keep replaying in order to acquire better loot.

For those who have completed the game solo, how long is the story campaign? Was hoping that it would be around the same as Dead Nation or longer. Thanks.

Either way, it's Housemarque so I know that the quality is definitely there.

RichGS

Pre-ordered the other day and reading reviews, it seems like the only major negative is that the story campaign is short and meant to keep replaying in order to acquire better loot.

For those who have completed the game solo, how long is the story campaign? Was hoping that it would be around the same as Dead Nation or longer. Thanks.

Either way, it's Housemarque so I know that the quality is definitely there.

I'd say you'll probably reach the last mission in around 5-7 hours.

The last mission is so hard compared to the rest that you'll probably have to join an online party to beat it. Enemies are all about 3-5 levels above you and there are no checkpoints...

Plenty of replayabilty though!

PC version? Wat.

This isn't PixelJunk.

Glad to hear local couch co-op is coming.

Did they say how many players? 2 or 4 local?

No word of a pc version?

Charlton-Heston-Crazy-laughing.gif

Machina

Banned
Played a few rounds just then before bed. It's predictably good. Haven't played enough to say it's great yet. The similarities to Helldivers are undeniable. If you loved that game, you'll love this one.

There's no need to. They don't seem to have any problem working only for Sony and XDev also puts in a ton of work on their games too.

Yeah, they seem to enjoy being independent and Sony is continually working with them. They now have Matterfall on the table.

No way. The last thing we need is for the good indie devs to be gobbled up and put through the churn of major publishers.

That's how you get micro transactions and F2P.

SCE/SIE has done this in which example?

Not that I want them to buy HouseMarque, the relationship is fine as is. They are working great with XDEV and Sony as is anyway, no need to rock the boat.

Can't believe this game lacks local coop at launch.

I really can't justify getting it at launch when I'm only going to start playing it once local coop is patched in.

Edited for positivity: the game looks amazing! I really want to buy it and I'm glad it reviewed well.

Can't believe this game lacks local coop at launch.

I really can't justify getting it at launch when I'm only going to start playing it once local coop is patched in.

Edited for positivity: the game looks amazing! I really want to buy it and I'm glad it reviewed well.

You save $2 if you buy it as a pre-order.

So if co-op hits and the game is still full price, might as well buy now.

Depends when co-op is coming though.

wapplew

so does the weapon loot system ever give you any real unique weapon capabilities or it's all just stats?

Seems like just damage, fire rate, clip size and cri chance, nothing unique.
Maybe they should add some legendary weapon post launch, lol.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
In Housemarque, I trust. Very very few devs have proven themselves time after time again where I don't even have to think about reviews to even consider getting the game because I already know I'm there day one. That level of trust is very hard to come by and earn.
Housemarque, Naughty Dog, and CDPR are few of the devs I trust with my money regardless of the IP because they've proven themselves to me time after time again with quality products.

I hope they sell a fuck ton on PSN cause the industry needs more Housemarque games.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah, they seem to enjoy being independent and Sony is continually working with them. They now have Matterfall on the table.
They surely appreciate the flexibility to also do other stuff when they like. The Eugene Jarvis game is their own IP and should be multiplatform.

Top Bottom