• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienation review thread

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
You get to keep everything. Weapons, cores, resources, everything. You just continue playing the game on a new cycle with harder enemies, better loot and a few surprises thrown in for good measure.
Appreciate that bruh. It's true that enemies scale to your weapons though? I hate when games do stuff like that, it kinda kills the thrill of loot. Actually, it totally kills it.

RichGS

Appreciate that bruh. It's true that enemies scale to your weapons though? I hate when games do stuff like that, it kinda kills the thrill of loot. Actually, it totally kills it.

Yeah, unfortunately they do. They sure go down easier with the better equipment you find at higher levels though.

kinggroin

Banned
Hardly recognise any of those review sites in the OP, everyone and their mum is a reviewer these days!

Good. Naturally as time moves on, the dedicated reviewers will stick around and the rest won't. Having a game get more coverage and reviews cover more angles, is a good thing.

John Wick

Sony's off to a great start this year.
With the exception of SFV ;)

C'mon now you can't blame Sony for SFV that's due to Capcom. They fcuked big time on that even though the core gameplay is fantastic.
Great to see Housemarque title getting great reviews! Deserved

eFKac

Scores seem decent, would be a shame if the meta ended up below or at Dead Nation, from what I've played of Alienation at WGW it was better in almost every way.

TEH-CJ

Banned
This objectively has a better campaign than destiny, helldivers and diablo 3. If it had more interesting loot and more variety with the guns it would be incredible. But as it stands it's one of the best games on ps4.

what, seriously no local co-op? whats the point then..? thats the whole reason i was interested in this game.

i just love how we go backwards from PS3 days. feels like i have less and less options every year.. sigh.

RichGS

Hardly recognise any of those review sites in the OP, everyone and their mum is a reviewer these days!

So you'd value the views of "professional" reviewers rather than those who play games because they actually enjoy them?

Big name sites are all good and that but I'd hardly base my purchasing decisions on their opinions.

So you'd value the views of "professional" reviewers rather than those who play games because they actually enjoy them?

Big name sites are all good and that but I'd hardly base my purchasing decisions on their opinions.
Where did the person you were responding to say they value only professional reviewers?

Most of us value individual reviewers. Aside from Christian's review for Eurogamer, I wasn't familiar with most of the reviewers posted yesterday, and I ended up putting off buying the game until more people whose opinion I value look at the game.

Besides in which, as shocking as you seem to find this, there often is a lot of value to professional reviews. When I'm looking at reviews for a film, I don't want to read some hyped up review written by some fan-blog. I want to read an actual critique by a professional writer, one that I follow, who understands the medium of film.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Ok just got a legendary gun that does lightning Damage when there is a group of enemies. It's like the zhalo supercell from destiny. Fucking amazing game.

Also the end game is awesome. So many random events, loot caves etc.

Freeman76

Too many cooks spoil the broth

Freeman76

Where did the person you were responding to say they value only professional reviewers?

Most of us value individual reviewers. Aside from Christian's review for Eurogamer, I wasn't familiar with most of the reviewers posted yesterday, and I ended up putting off buying the game until more people whose opinion I value look at the game.

Besides in which, as shocking as you seem to find this, there often is a lot of value to professional reviews. When I'm looking at reviews for a film, I don't want to read some hyped up review written by some fan-blog. I want to read an actual critique by a professional writer, one that I follow, who understands the medium of film.

Thank you, i couldnt say that any better

RichGS

Every site and reviewer has to start somewhere, it doesn't make their opinions less valid than any others.

If more people actually looked and followed some of the smaller sites maybe they'd grow to value their opinions too and not just dismiss them because they've not heard of them.

The fact of the matter is Alienation is a great game, and you shouldn't have to have Gamespot et al tell you that to believe it.

Loudninja

We never really mentioned it before, but did you know that Alienation is geared for replayability, offering randomized enemy spawns including stronger alien “bosses,” challenges sprinkled all over the levels, post-campaign procedurally generated levels, alien hideouts to explore, and different “World States” (our own version of New Game+) unlocking new things to do? All this makes the game fresh each time you pick it up, because you can’t just learn enemy patterns, events, and maps by heart; on the contrary, you’ll have to figure out how to face different configurations of obstacles with every playthrough.

It doesn’t end there either, as in typical Housemarque fashion, you’ll compete against others for country XP, Invasion ranking, and best completion times. Expect great things in the months to come, as we plan to support the game steadily. And yes, we heard you loud and clear: local co-op is our number one priority based on popular demand.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/04/26/defend-earth-in-alienation-out-today-on-ps4/

Looks amazing. If I didn't just spend all my money on getting my cars brakes fixed I would pick this up. Ill probably pick it up after Uncharted 4 :)

Tecnniqe

Banned
"Alienation is an ambitious twin-stick shooter that goes beyond Housemarque doing what they do best. It's gorgeous it's addictive, and its's some of the best fun you'll have on your PlayStation this year - especially if you're the get caught up in the grind for better loot."

Oh dear.

Oooh dear.

Goodbye life, I am loot.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Add me on the psn Tec, We can be pandabros4lyfe (Broadbandit on psn)

tumblr_n30q1403YQ1qhv4h7o1_400.gif

Pandabros!

Every site and reviewer has to start somewhere, it doesn't make their opinions less valid than any others.

If more people actually looked and followed some of the smaller sites maybe they'd grow to value their opinions too and not just dismiss them because they've not heard of them.

The fact of the matter is Alienation is a great game, and you shouldn't have to have Gamespot et al tell you that to believe it.
Sure they have to start somewhere. I don't have a mandate to read their review or value their opinion though, especial with some unknown backgrounds. If you want to defend the credentials of a reviewer, make the case to people that they're knowledgable and worth following. That's been done for other critics from Jim Sterling to Stephen Totilo to Jason Schreier to AVGN to Angry Joe.

People are perfectly within their right to dismiss the opinions of an outlet and wait for the reviews of the people they follow.

Because yeah, we were totally waiting for Gamespot.

3322bddffb27e1067f0c1360551abac4.png

I actually used to follow Gamespot until Kevin VanOrd left.

sonny4p

The game looks great but the footage shown in the announce trailer looks ever better and more exciting for some reason...

Played for a good three hour stretch today. Took a bit for it to get its hooks in, but damn the game sure gets fun. Turned my sound system up ubsurdly loud and had a blast.

IGN on Alienation:

"Housemarque’s previous games have always kept me coming back through the strength of their gameplay alone. Alienation adds a straightforward, but enjoyable power chase on top, making its finely tuned arcade action all the more alluring. Its action-RPG elements won’t make it a replacement for something like Diablo 3 or Grim Dawn, but they successfully provide a structure for unending, enjoyable alien slaughter."

87 rating.

Top Bottom