• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienation review thread

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Still play Resogun to this day - it was one of the best supported game post-release. I really liked Dead Nation too, so this is an instant buy for me.

You save $2 if you buy it as a pre-order.

So if co-op hits and the game is still full price, might as well buy now.

Depends when co-op is coming though.

If something as sales-boosting as local coop didn't make it in for launch, I really doubt it'll be a matter of weeks.

Solal

In Housemarque, I trust. Very very few devs have proven themselves time after time again where I don't even have to think about reviews to even consider getting the game because I already know I'm there day one. That level of trust is very hard to come by and earn.
Housemarque, Naughty Dog, and CDPR are few of the devs I trust with my money regardless of the IP because they've proven themselves to me time after time again with quality products.

I hope they sell a fuck ton on PSN cause the industry needs more Housemarque games.

Amen.

Zweisy1

Housemarque are amazing. Such well thought out polished games with endless amount of depth and replay value. Easily my favourite arcade style developer..

But I am a bit biased as I've loved their work since the Amiga days. They're on a level for me that I would buy a SONY console just to solely to play their games.

low-G

I'm going to wait for more reviews till the last second (for preorder discount).

I like 360 degree shooters, but I have a backlog of em, enjoying Enter the Gungeon right now; RUINER seems more tempting to me.

Raylan

Banned
In Housemarque, I trust. Very very few devs have proven themselves time after time again where I don't even have to think about reviews to even consider getting the game because I already know I'm there day one. That level of trust is very hard to come by and earn.
Housemarque, Naughty Dog, and CDPR are few of the devs I trust with my money regardless of the IP because they've proven themselves to me time after time again with quality products.

I hope they sell a fuck ton on PSN cause the industry needs more Housemarque games.
Bingo!

I'm buying all Housemarque games. I love their games.

To add some context to Eurogamer's recommended:

'You can hack your way through most of the game, relying on team-mate revives or endless respawns, but towards the end of the campaign, Alienation sweeps a lot of your crutches away and you have to get through a massive boss-ridden level that doesn't allow you to come back from the dead as easily. With failure looming close, Alienation suddenly forces you to engage with its full tactical depths as you juggle ammo clips, skill recharge rates and the enemies you're up against. It's a beautiful thing to behold: the order that lurks behind every Housemarque game shining clearly through the carnage.

It makes for a thrilling twin-stick shooter, alone or with friends, and it also bodes well for the fabled Housemarque/Eugene Jarvis collaboration. Here is a game about chaos, for the most part, but strung through it is the same kind of thinking that made Resogun's precision waves such a delight to pit yourself against. It's carnage, but it's as beautifully balanced as it is relentless.'

Especially happy about the bolded part as I wanted a strong solo experience to complement the multiplayer.
link to the full review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-25-alienation-review

Yea I didn't like the dynamic theme much, think I'm gonna be stuck with Toro for the whole generation, but I don't mind that, great theme.

I like how the game is fully downloaded for me already, and it points out exactly when the game unlocks with a to-the-second accurate timer, very nice.

It can't be adjusted by changing the game clock I presume.... it says unlock at midnight local time...

I am going to buy this, Diablo 3 has lost it's shine for me not that I can blame it since between PS4 and PC I have put well over 1k hours into it lol. I thought the Division would be my loot game but we know how that ship is sinking sadly.

Cheers to killing aliens!

Resogun was on PS+ the month I bought my PS4 and it's still the best game that's been on there since.

Actually pretty hard to disagree with this.

Resogun is distilled perfect and awesome-ness.

Pretty easy to say that Alienation and Matterfall will probably also end up as some of the very best PS4 games too.

Can anyone explain why there are 'bars' over the players and enemies heads?

Looks a little distracting imo. I wonder if they can be turned off?

Tagyhag

I didn't like Dead Nation but I'll keep my eye on this, love me some loot.

Edit: No couch coop? I'll wait for that to be implemented then.

Camjo-Z

Not even on my radar previously but just pre-ordered anyway. Resogun was awesome so I have no doubt this will be too.

I'm just putting the OT together. Can anyone tell me how much it costs in USD and Euros please?

Not sure about Euros but it's $19.99 normally, $17.99 if you preorder.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Played a few rounds just then before bed. It's predictably good. Haven't played enough to say it's great yet. The similarities to Helldivers are undeniable. If you loved that game, you'll love this one.

I hated that game, but I was looking forward to this. Officially worried.

lt519

Are there multiple character slots? I'd like to play by myself with one character and then have another to play through with buddies.

Top Bottom