• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienation review thread

I didn't like Helldivers very much either. I mean in principle it is also a multiplayer top-down twin-stick shooter, but it just didn't feel that fun.

A lot of people asked me to get it on Steam but I really just did not like the PS Plus version so I didn't bother. Just don't feel like I missed much based on my early experience at least.

Didn't have the HouseMarque magic maybe. Not trying to rag on the game, but I just didn't like HD. Seemed OK though I guess I dunno. Just didn't click with me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Housemarque does it again. Fuck yeah! Preloaded and ready to go!

Yep yep! Same here!

In Housemarque, I trust. Very very few devs have proven themselves time after time again where I don't even have to think about reviews to even consider getting the game because I already know I'm there day one. That level of trust is very hard to come by and earn.
Housemarque, Naughty Dog, and CDPR are few of the devs I trust with my money regardless of the IP because they've proven themselves to me time after time again with quality products.

I hope they sell a fuck ton on PSN cause the industry needs more Housemarque games.

Well said!

I have been saying for a while, they are the Naughty Dog of PSN Arcade shooters. So stoked to play this when it unlocks!

I didn't like Helldivers or Dead Nation, but somehow still feel confident I'll enjoy this. We'll see.

Same, but I like Housemarque's games.

Helldivers wasn't fun because of the friendly fire and other mechanics.

Dead Nation was zombies which bore me.

This is eye-gasmic 4 player twin stick god gameplay here. Pre-ordered and pre-loaded and ready!

In Housemarque, i trust.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

This is eye-gasmic 4 player twin stick god gameplay here. Pre-ordered and pre-loaded and ready!

In Housemarque, i trust.

Plus the Diablo like elements of loot and classes is a definite enhancement over Dead Nation.

In Housemarque, i trust.
Aw Dead Nation wasn't that great, but Helldiver's friendly fire was one of my favorite things. It made for some real laughs when playing with friends locally.

Helldivers let absolutely one thing completely tank the game for me: the short magazines. I just felt I was reloading way too much to frequently in that game, which killed any sense of momentum being built buy how awesome the primary weapon felt and sounded. It failed at being satisfying.

Helldivers let absolutely one thing completely tank the game for me: the short magazines. I just felt I was reloading way too much to frequently in that game, which killed any sense of momentum being built buy how awesome the primary weapon felt and sounded. It failed at being satisfying.

Get the machine gun. Alternatively, learn to conserve your shots.

It's meant to discourage prolong fighting. Helldivers is strictly objective base, you don't get rewarded base on kills.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I hated that game, but I was looking forward to this. Officially worried.
Can't put my finger on why, but I hated Helldivers too. Well more like I was indifferent to it. One thing I remember for sure not liking was re-generation of enemies. That game felt like work to me, and I enjoyed Dead Nation far more. To me this looks much more like supercharged DN than Helldivers.

Get the machine gun. Alternatively, learn to conserve your shots.

It's meant to discourage prolong fighting. Helldivers is strictly objective base, you don't get rewarded base on kills.

I also felt like some objectives were unclear, which incidentally prolongs the fighting. Even if an objective is intentionally puzzle-like, that's going to prolong combat due to the constant regeneration of enemies.

So while I can see why some like it; I didn't and I don't buy that, because it's conflicting.

Subaru

My boyfriend is really addicted to Dead Nation, so I did the pre-order two days ago expecting local co-op =(

Well, this is the era of incomplete games at launch at all. But I can't say that I'm not disappointed.

Curufinwe

Resogun was on PS+ the month I bought my PS4 and it's still the best game that's been on there since.

Shame the DLC is only appealing to fanatical fans who are also extremely skilled.

I wanted to play more Resogun and was willing to pay, but they didn't make it even slightly appealing for me to do so.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
My boyfriend is really addicted to Dead Nation, so I did the pre-order two days ago expecting local co-op =(

Well, this is the era of incomplete games at launch at all. But I can't say that I'm not disappointed.
Just remember how much they added to Resogun. That game ended up having probably 3x more content than it originally had. Consequently it was one of my most played games on any platform. I really don't' worry about post launch support for this..

Shame the DLC is only appealing to fanatical fans who are also extremely skilled.
Not at all. I had ton of fun with it, and I'm not savant-skilled at the game.

RichGS

Anyone worrying about Alienation's content really didn't ought to.

Whilst you could blast through all the missions really quickly, it pays to explore the open environments, completing challenges and boss hunts wherever possible. There's also post-game content and the fact that finishing all the missions resets your world level, increasing enemy difficulty and making the loot more lucrative.

Above all else however, the game is such a blast to play that you'll actually want to replay missions. It really is one of the best PS4 games I've played.

I wanted to play more Resogun and was willing to pay, but they didn't make it even slightly appealing for me to do so.

I politely disagree. I thought some of the DLC they added got to the very heart of what made Resogun fun - they did a tremendous job with the add-ons.

Calabi

Well based on the reviews I've just preordered. I dont generally preorder but its the sort of game I like and has the one incentive I will buy it for, being five quid cheaper.

SomTervo

I didn't like Helldivers very much either. I mean in principle it is also a multiplayer top-down twin-stick shooter, but it just didn't feel that fun.

A lot of people asked me to get it on Steam but I really just did not like the PS Plus version so I didn't bother. Just don't feel like I missed much based on my early experience at least.

Didn't have the HouseMarque magic maybe. Not trying to rag on the game, but I just didn't like HD. Seemed OK though I guess I dunno. Just didn't click with me.

Helldivers is only really great when 1. You have a good understanding of the mechanics, 2. You play with three close friends, and 3. You play Medium or Hard missions at least.

It goes from mediocre to incredible under those criteria. 2 is the most important one. Without that it will almost never be great fun.

Looking forward to Alienation!

Ogawa-san

Devs said it was "totally fine" to play solo, the few reviews that mention solo play say otherwise.

:|

I wanted in on the twin stick loot hunting goodness, but my experience with these games that could be played solo wasn't very positive.

firelogic

Devs said it was "totally fine" to play solo, the few reviews that mention solo play say otherwise.

I wanted in on the twin stick loot hunting goodness, but my experience with these games that could be played solo wasn't very positive.

Yeah that's what's stopping me from buying it. While it's possible to get through the game solo, it's clearly designed to be played co-op.

Depends on the reviews you're reading, Eurogamer's said it was great fun solo or co op.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So the enemies scale to your weapons' power levels? Aw man.

Also, do you keep all your stuff on subsequent playthroughs (like loot you've earned) or does it all reset?

RichGS

So the enemies scale to your weapons' power levels? Aw man.

Also, do you keep all your stuff on subsequent playthroughs (like loot you've earned) or does it all reset?

You get to keep everything. Weapons, cores, resources, everything. You just continue playing the game on a new cycle with harder enemies, better loot and a few surprises thrown in for good measure.

I didn't like Helldivers or Dead Nation, but somehow still feel confident I'll enjoy this. We'll see.
I loved loved Dead Nation. The payoff after defeating a horde single handedly rivals that of Soul's games. Flamethrower sucked balls though. That music is still seared in my brain.

healer for me, even though I know nothing about the game or that class in this game

..it's burned in my soul to always play a healer in any game :p

Whenever I play PlanetSide 2 I'm a medic or engineer (which is basically a Medic for Robots and Tanks) cuz I can't shoot for shit on PC games :)

trigrtigr

Neo Member
I'm usually averse to playing online co-op with randoms, but the system in alienation is pretty fun.

That said, I've been playing mostly solo on the hardest difficulty and loving it. It challenges you to be really strategic with the abilities and weapons.

Maybe solo was too difficult for some of the reviewers!

Going back in now....

Shady859

Anyone find a review that spoke of the pvp invading besides mentioning it being in the game? Thought this was a Helldivers knockoff and it was totally off my radar until I realized who made it. GAF sells another game :)

Anyone worrying about Alienation's content really didn't ought to.

Whilst you could blast through all the missions really quickly, it pays to explore the open environments, completing challenges and boss hunts wherever possible. There's also post-game content and the fact that finishing all the missions resets your world level, increasing enemy difficulty and making the loot more lucrative.

Above all else however, the game is such a blast to play that you'll actually want to replay missions. It really is one of the best PS4 games I've played.

so with the fact that the levels are procedurally generated are there different branching paths every time?

also good to hear about positive reviews

housemarque are a truly splendid dev

mindtwang

Neo Member
so with the fact that the levels are procedurally generated are there different branching paths every time?

also good to hear about positive reviews

housemarque are a truly splendid dev

No. You're still going from the same Point A to Point B each mission. It's just you might run into different enemies or trigger different events. More like Left 4 Dead where the main mission objectives are always the same, but it's always gonna be a unique playthrough. Although, I'd also say it doesn't do this nearly as well as Left 4 Dead, but that's a whole different discussion.

Went from not even knowing what this game is a few days ago, to preording in excitement.

Sounds like the game I wanted from helldivers, and you cant deny the developers pedigree.

Top Bottom