• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4's will receive HDR upgrade via firmware

EvB

If your TV doesnt support HDR, expect nothing
If your TV does support it, get ready to see some really really nice colors

Nope.

Nothing to do with Color, the PS4 already supported 10 bit color, as does the Xbox One.

Seems to me I rather have a 1080p tv anyway for pro, besides HDR I rather have better graphical effects and longer draw distances on games that are present on the bass mode.

4K mode just draws all the resources on higher res, no fun

ethomaz

Banned
I'll admit that I haven't followed any of this tech at all, so can you elaborate a bit? How do I know if my TV supports HDR? Is it only newer models or will some older models support it?
You need to check the TV specs or manual.

Only modern TVs support so the possibility of a old TV supports is really low.

No It, isn't HDR is about peak brightness.
WCG (Wide Colour Gamut) or Deep Colour is about colour.

These things combined are what form the HDR stadards (HDR10, Dolby Vision) however, they can both exist separetly from each other.

PS3 support Deep colour for example.
All assets need to be in 10bit colour in order to take advantage of a wider colour gamut, but this requires increased bandwidth and 20% more storage vs an 8bit file
Well HDR means a lot of things for each type of media.

TV HDR: Expanding the TV's contrast ratio and color palette to offer a more realistic, natural image than what's possible with today's HDTVs.

Photo HDR: Combining multiple images with different exposures to create a single image that mimics a greater dynamic range.

So yes it expand the color pallet.

MANGOD

Banned
This just goes to show that people in general don't know a goddam thing about the tech right now. All Hail Jeff lol THE PS4 IS NOT AND WILL NOT PLAY UHD DISKS NEITHER DOES THE PRO.
FALSE GOD

LordOfChaos

Niiice.

So I wonder why the original XBO misses it and it was billed as S exclusive? Was it due to the slightly older GCN revision in the XBO?

ethomaz

Banned
This just goes to show that people in general don't know a goddam thing about the tech right now. All Hail Jeff lol THE PS4 IS NOT AND WILL NOT PLAY UHD DISKS NEITHER DOES THE PRO.
FALSE GOD
To be fair it doesn't need because any 1080p output will be upscaled to 4k by the HDTV... it is the same than Xbox One S except in one case the upscale is done by HDTV and in the other the console.

The only feature missing was HDR and UHD... now only UHD.

BigEmil

Lol they're probably going to make an update so all Xbox One's have HDR now all of a sudden.

-d0hv
So MS knew this and could've done it for the OG Xbox before but refused to do it and use it as an 'exclusive' feature to sell the Xbox One S. Lame.
But yeah thanks to Sony doing this MS are likely pushed to doing this now aswell..hopefully

score01

Cant believe Jeff was half right. My heart stopped for a moment at that announcement, I felt he was going to follow up and say UHD drive / movies along with HDR as well.

Realyst

Don't you need a HDMI 2.0 device to even send a HDR signal? I thought the PS4 was like 1.3 or something.

Also, wouldn't the display require 1080P HDR functionality to even receive the HDR signal? How many TVs on the market that aren't 4K are able to do this? Or would the panel have to upconvert the signal to 4K?

So many questions...

AgeEighty

Huh. Do 4K televisions support HDR information on a 1080p signal? It's part of the 4K spec, no?

Also, why is everyone shouting about Jeff Rigby? This has nothing to do with his UHD drive claims.

xemumanic

Huh. Do 4K televisions support HDR information on a 1080p signal? It's part of the 4K spec, no?

Also, why is everyone shouting about Jeff Rigby? This has nothing to do with his UHD drive claims.

If... as I asked about, the OG PS4 can now do HDCP 2.2 for 4K Netflix, then he was half right. He got the part with the drive wrong.

LordOfChaos

HDR is software.

XBO can do it if MS wishes.

HDR as in the changes in bright to dark area colour palates is software, but HDR as the newfangled term is a hardware spec for TVs to support more colours.

http://www.techradar.com/news/telev...-next-big-shift-in-home-entertainment-1280990

So they don't mean the new TV and HDMI spec of HDR? They just mean the software implementation games did since what, Half Life 2 E1, with the shifting lighting? Not the TV standard for more colours?

Do I have enough questions?

I literally just got a 50" 4K HDR Samsung yesterday.

This news could not of come at a better time, fucking fantastic news for me.

dex3108

As far as i remember PS4 has 1.4 HDMI and from few people i heard that HDMI 1.4 can't do HDR and that 2.0 is for HDR. So did Sony just lied?

fernoca

Seeing people saying Jeff was right, just shows that people don't even know what the heck is all that.

They just saw HDR + firmware and translated it into Rigby was right, redeemed!!

XD

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
As far as i remember PS4 has 1.4 HDMI and from few people i heard that HDMI 1.4 can't do HDR and that 2.0 is for HDR. So did Sony just lied?

Yeah... I'm interested in the explanation for this as well.

Also, will pre-existing games be able to take advantage of HDR, or will games need to be designed around it?

LordOfChaos

"HDR" isn't just one cohesive thing, which is why this is confusing. Games as early as Half Life 2 Lost Coast showed HDR on standard ass CRT monitors. It would shift colour palates based on light and dark areas, though the monitor could not display more colours at once.

However, all the newfangled talk on HDR is about the new TV spec, which supports more colours and depth...Since this was indeed after HDMI 1.4, I think Sony just means the software version.

HDR10 requires HDMI 2.0a and bandwidth for 4k very high bitrate. The SOC(system on a chip), handles HDR processing which isn't a problem for the PS4 chipset to handle.

Mines an HDR 4K set too....i imagine then it will be a setting someplace in the new update..?? Otherwise how would we know we have it

I can imagine? As it is there are no new settings at all for this. My TV also shows a notification when HDR is enabled and it's nowhere to be seen in the current beta. I guess they wanted to keep the feature secret?

I really wonder how they're doing this because as others are pointing out the PS4 HDMI shouldn't be able to support HDR? I guess we'll find our soon enough!

Top Bottom