• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4's will receive HDR upgrade via firmware

"HDR" isn't just one cohesive thing, which is why this is confusing. Games as early as Half Life 2 Lost Coast showed HDR on standard ass CRT monitors. It would shift colour palates based on light and dark areas, though the monitor could not display more colours at once.

However, all the newfangled talk on HDR is about the new TV spec, which supports more colours and depth...Since this was indeed after HDMI 1.4, I think Sony just means the software version.

Dolby Vision is compatible with HDMI 1.4, HDMI 2.0a is more a cash grab.

phansen

Neo Member
HDR is about color... not resolution.

Even 720p resolution will benefit with HDR (if have any 720p display with HDR support).

No it's not. HDR is a display technology that only comes with 4K tvs. The regular PS4 doesn't support 4K so i have no idea what this announcement means.

rjcc

As soon as they said it Jeff Rigby was the first one I thought of.

He had it the whole time and missed the forest for the trees.

Noobcraft

"HDR" isn't just one cohesive thing, which is why this is confusing. Games as early as Half Life 2 Lost Coast showed HDR on standard ass CRT monitors. It would shift colour palates based on light and dark areas, though the monitor could not display more colours at once.

However, all the newfangled talk on HDR is about the new TV spec, which supports more colours and depth...Since this was indeed after HDMI 1.4, I think Sony just means the software version.
HPR.

I doubt the PS4 will support Dolby Vision as the Sony 4K TV's don't support it. That would be a really poor strategy if it turns out to be true lol

What I'm saying, HDR itself doesn't require any specific HDMI spec. HDMI 2.0 is resolution and lossless audio. HDMI 2.0a is for some strange reason needed to do what Dolby Vision can do on 2.0 as well as HDR10.

I believe it's really for HDCP 2.2 compatibility, there isn't any hardware changes.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
No it's not. HDR is a display technology that only comes with 4K tvs. The regular PS4 doesn't support 4K so i have no idea what this announcement means.

HDR is only being implemented in 4K TV sets, but there's no technical reason preventing we from having a Full HD TV with it.

And while the regular 4K doesn't sends the signal at 4K, it supports all 4K TV and will support the HDR function too.

I wonder how this will work in practice since I always choose the game mode from my tv when playing and HDR has a completely different image processing and settings. I'd think that choosing HDR output for games will highly increase the input lag. Maybe it's some Sony's special HDR that I'll see the benefits in game mode as well.

AgeEighty

HDR is only being implemented in 4K TV sets, but there's no technical reason preventing we from having a Full HD TV with it.

And while the regular 4K doesn't sends the signal at 4K, it supports all 4K TV and will support the HDR function too.

It's a question of whether 4K televisions are designed to accept HDR data from a 1080p stream. Or from an HDMI 1.4 source. If the television sees a sub-4K signal and then doesn't bother looking for HDR, you don't get HDR. But I honestly don't know.

If not, it could be something updateable via firmware, but then it becomes a YMMV type of situation between vendors.

le-seb

As far as i remember PS4 has 1.4 HDMI and from few people i heard that HDMI 1.4 can't do HDR and that 2.0 is for HDR. So did Sony just lied?
Not really.

They simply advertised their console as being HDMI 1.4 capable at the time of release.
Nothing prevents them to upgrade these specs via a firmware update if they can, though.

We knew from the first published PS4 teardown that Sony was using a custom HDMI chip in the PS4.
When Sony started talking about PSVR and its ability to refresh the display at 120 Hz, while HDMI 1.4 is capped at 60 Hz, it became evident that they indeed were using a programmable chipset.

People love to hate Jeff Rigby, but he was right supposing this custom chip was there for a reason.

As far as I know, HDR support was introduced with HDMI 2.0a, and HDMI 2.0 also supports 1080p@120Hz.
So, it's likely Sony will bring HDR support to the PS4 by upgrading it to HDMI 2.0 through software.

le-seb

What I'm saying, HDR itself doesn't require any specific HDMI spec.
It does:
What is it about HDR that requires the format extension?
There is additional metadata is that required to deliver the enhancements offered by HDR. HDMI 2.0a adds the ability for devices to be able to transmit/receive this metadata.

I believe it's really for HDCP 2.2 compatibility, there isn't any hardware changes.
The clock frequency isn't the same between HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0.
Programmable HDMI chipsets - like the one Sony's been using in the PS4 - are a thing, that being said.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
It's a question of whether 4K televisions are designed to accept HDR data from a 1080p stream. Or from an HDMI 1.4 source. If the television sees a sub-4K signal and then doesn't bother looking for HDR, you don't get HDR. But I honestly don't know.

If not, it could be something updateable via firmware, but then it becomes a YMMV type of situation between vendors.

Yeah, that's some questions that I have no clue. We need Jeff expertise on this, hehehe.

Something that I don't remember, PS4 only support HDMI 1.4?

LordofPwn

HDR from what i understand is more than just colors and bit depth but also utilizing displays that are capable of being brighter where needed.

for instance i guess HDMI 3.1 supports up to 30bit color. displays on the other hand are limit by display depth and color gamut. Also keep in mind that TV displays do a bunch of horrible shit to images to make images "better" looking.

Really though this is just a reminder at how fucked this tech jump has been. SD to HD made sense and they worked the specs out it just took forever to roll out. with this new stuff no one can really agree on anything and it's horrible and i wish they would stop.

It does:

Programmable HDMI chipsets - like the one Sony's been using in the PS4 - are a thing, that being said.

HDR10 does, Dolby Vision doesn't. Clock frequencies are different, but that's not a requirement for HDR. The bandwidth and frequencies are different for resolution and lossless audio. 1080p HDR can be done with HDMI 1.4.

AgeEighty

HDR from what i understand is more than just colors and bit depth but also utilizing displays that are capable of being brighter where needed.

for instance i guess HDMI 3.1 supports up to 30bit color. displays on the other hand are limit by display depth and color gamut. Also keep in mind that TV displays do a bunch of horrible shit to images to make images "better" looking.

Really though this is just a reminder at how fucked this tech jump has been. SD to HD made sense and they worked the specs out it just took forever to roll out. with this new stuff no one can really agree on anything and it's horrible and i wish they would stop.

There are two reasons behind that: One, the HD standards had been in development all the way back to the 1980s, whereas UHD has been comparatively rushed to market. Two, the HD format was in part driven by the FCC, who chose single mandated standards for all the associated technologies. Since there isn't a new broadcast standard at the heart of UHD, it's been more like the Wild West.

HDR10 does, Dolby Vision doesn't. Clock frequencies are different, but that's not a requirement for HDR. The bandwidth and frequencies are different for resolution and lossless audio. 1080p HDR can be done with HDMI 1.4.

HDR10 is the standard though, and is supported in more televisions (right now) than Dolby Vision.

Caayn

Has it been announced which HDR version the PS4 and PS4 Pro will support?
It does:

It only does for HDR10, Dolby Vision is designed to be compatible with HDMI 1.4. The only problem that has is that Dolby Vision requires additional hardware.

It could also be that they're updating the HDMI port to act as partial 2.0a port, it doesn't need to transmit 4K signals so it doesn't need to have the full bandwidth(18Gbps) of 2.0. This to me is the more likely scenario.

xemumanic

I'm betting Sony will use HDR10. It'd be stupid of them to use Dolby Vision. Most HDR capable displays are HDR10. It's the SMPTE standard.

There are two reasons behind that: One, the HD standards had been in development all the way back to the 1980s, whereas UHD has been comparatively rushed to market. Two, the HD format was in part driven by the FCC, who chose single mandated standards for all the associated technologies. Since there isn't a new broadcast standard at the heart of UHD, it's been more like the Wild West.

HDR10 is the standard though, and is supported in more televisions (right now) than Dolby Vision.

HDR10 isn't the standard until next year assuming, no UHD Blu-ray player manufacturers license Dolby Vision and purchase the SOC(system on a chip) to decode it.

No one finds it strange that Sony off all companies doesn't even have stand alone UHD Blu-ray player on the market.

HDR10 isn't the standard until next year assuming, no UHD Blu-ray player manufacturers license Dolby Vision and purchase the SOC(system on a chip) to decode it.

No one finds it strange that Sony off all companies doesn't even have stand alone UHD Blu-ray player on the market.

It's actually still the standard because HDR10 is part of the required spec on UHD blu-ray so if a disc has a Dolby Vision version it will also include HDR10 data.

It's actually still the standard because HDR10 is part of the required spec on UHD blu-ray so if a disc has a Dolby Vision version it will also include HDR10 data.

That's true, I'm thinking most of the film industry prefer Dolby Vision. Right now it's the standard in theaters and the only HDR system available in theaters.

LordofPwn

Correct and to be honest our current infrastructure cant really handle UHD so UHD broadcasts becoming what HD is now is a pipe dream, but hey 8K UHD has been known for years now and theres no way in hell thats going to get picked up. We're becoming more and more ok with mediocre display technology that theres almost no point anymore. Heavily compressed 4K video on mobile screens, yay...

HDR10 is the Open standard, Dolby Vision is the "Pro" standard.
just checked a vizio tv that supports Dolby Vision. $5,999 and it has 1.07B colors. same as my Dell 4K IPS monitors. even $300 monitors will display that many colors. TV marketing is the worst...

Bessy67

Cool, maybe with this and Xbox One S supporting HDR it will get the TV manufacturers to start making TVs that allow HDR in game mode. Most TVs out there now have pretty bad input lag in modes that support HDR.

BONKERS

What's the point of this? For 4k streaming content?

As others mentioned, input lag goes to shit and is often untested in reviews for HDR.

Just another headache thanks to the TV industry.
Correct and to be honest our current infrastructure cant really handle UHD so UHD broadcasts becoming what HD is now is a pipe dream, but hey 8K UHD has been known for years now and theres no way in hell thats going to get picked up. We're becoming more and more ok with mediocre display technology that theres almost no point anymore. Heavily compressed 4K video on mobile screens, yay...

HDR10 is the Open standard, Dolby Vision is the "Pro" standard.
just checked a vizio tv that supports Dolby Vision. $5,999 and it has 1.07B colors. same as my Dell 4K IPS monitors. even $300 monitors will display that many colors. TV marketing is the worst...

Exactly, nothing more than a sales push that was rushed to market. 1080p isn't and shouldn't be dead. Content still isn't up to par for that. We finally get a console that can do it. And they are using it to push 4k instead, completing the cycle of the same old shit.

NeoTracer

Neo Member
That's cool actually. I don't need to buy another PS4 just for HDR. That was actually one of the reasons I got the Xbox One S. Hopefully Uncharted 4 receives an update for HDR.

duhmetree

Soooooooo, why buy a PS4P?

45HfDmF.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/PBmna

xkramz

I just hope it doesn't take a year to bring the HDR firmware update. You know how Sony does announcing some OS features early.

So, this update is completely useless for me and my €200 Grundig.

Which leads me to think the update will probably brick my console.

Thats sounds a little farfetched. There is no reason to think that.

I just hope it doesn't take a year to bring the HDR firmware update. You know how Sony does announcing some OS features early.

Didnt they say its coming next week?

Boss Man

I've got an HDR capable TV, I watch some HDR content on Netflix it's pretty sweet.

Having said that, idk what the PS4 is going to give me in HDR. If it's streaming services, my TV already has that covered but in 4K instead of 1080p.

So is this for 4K + HDR TV owners who want to watch content in 1080p + HDR instead of 4K + HDR directly from their smart TV (an HDR TV def has a netflix app).

Cool, I guess. Just not understanding how/what/why.

spwolf

I've got an HDR capable TV, I watch some HDR content on Netflix it's pretty sweet.

Having said that, idk what the PS4 is going to give me in HDR. If it's streaming services, my TV already has that covered but in 4K instead of 1080p.

So is this for 4K + HDR TV owners who want to watch content in 1080p + HDR instead of 4K + HDR directly from their smart TV (an HDR TV def has a netflix app).

Cool, I guess. Just not understanding how/what/why.

i would guess it is for HDR gaming at 1080p since they said that HDR does not require stonger hardware.

bowld

Stoked to have Hdr gaming for my new Vizio p55. Hopefully the deus ex patch will go live next week to take advantage of it

RedAssedApe

Banned

Don't think its that hard to understand why this is a good thing. The firmware update means that you don't have to have PS4 Pro to take advantage of HDR. You just need a HDR capable TV and a regular PS4.

Kyoufu

Why is this thread about Jeff Rigby? He said UHD Blu Ray consoles shipped in 2013. They did not.

Anyway it's great that every model will support HDR. It's a game changer in image quality.

Top Bottom