• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4's will receive HDR upgrade via firmware

platocplx

I imagine it will run parallel to it. Deep Color works on TVs that support it (I have 2 1080p screens that can) and HDR is a different color space altogether. Deep Color is just there for support even though many TVs prior to The New Hotness don't support it and/or don't have 10-bit panels.

yeah it runs parallel if you go into the settings now there is an HDR option then deep color is set to automatic as well.

Halabane

Apologies if some one answered this earlier, didn't see it... what application or game would actually work with HDR on the ps4 right now? They are offering this update but what uses it today?

Wag

So does the old PS4 actually support HDCP 2.2(a)? Without this Netflix won't even update their app to support HDR output at 4k. I have no idea about 1080p/HDR support on Netflix. AFAIK both Netflix and Amazon have refused to support 4k/HDR without HDCP 2.2a support. I would imagine this applies to 1080p/HDR as well.

platocplx

It is essentially useless.

"HDR on the old PS4: No games, no streaming, just a useless menu option" http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/09/ps4-hdr-no-games-media-useless/

NBA2k17 is supposed to be the the first game that will utilize it via a patch from what i hear. Of course its nothing right now without games supporting it. lol Like Xbox One S the only games that support HDR right now is NBA2k17 and Forza coming soon.

It probally will be more useful as more devs add it on.

STEaMkb

High-dynamic-range was considered to be a welcome step forward when announced on Microsoft's stage. "May very well be a huge deal," wrote Ars Technia's Sam Machkovech. The benefit would be more apparent in the future, but an awesome step forward nonetheless.

Now Sony have announced HDR compatibility for all 40 million existing PS4s, meh useless, who cares.

PulseONE

To people still confused about HDR, go to any big store that sells nice TVs, usually they have demos that show HDR vs non HDR, thats the best way to see what a big difference it makes

Trust me you'll notice an HDR TV when you see it, there's a big difference

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
High-dynamic-range was considered to be a welcome step forward when announced on Microsoft's stage. "May very well be a huge deal," wrote Ars Technia's Sam Machkovech. The benefit would be more apparent in the future, but an awesome step forward nonetheless.

Now Sony have announced HDR compatibility for all 40 million existing PS4s, meh useless, who cares.

Doesn't HDR 10 need HDMI 2.2 or something like that? Aren't OG PS4s 1.4?

So is it just a wider colour gamut on the OGs that's being loosely labelled as HDR?

STEaMkb

Meaningless techspeak. All PS4's were already "compatible" with HDR before the update.

But they only announced it recently. The point is, Ars suddenly appear less enthusiastic about HDR than when Microsoft were talking about it.

Doesn't HDR 10 need HDMI 2.2 or something like that? Aren't OG PS4s 1.4? So is it just a wider colour gamut on the OGs that's being loosely labelled as HDR?

Apparently the PS4's HDMI controller has enough bandwidth to push a 2.0 signal, so there's nothing artificial about it - it can output the higher range.

Colbert

Banned
Doesn't HDR 10 need HDMI 2.2 or something like that? Aren't OG PS4s 1.4?

So is it just a wider colour gamut on the OGs that's being loosely labelled as HDR?

HDR10 needs a HDMI 2.0a specification implemantation. HDCP 2.2 has nothing to do with HDR as it is Copy protection/DRM.

As far as we know the launch PS4 only has HDMI 1.4. Thats the reason people are interested what kind of HDR Sony actually implemented in the FW update and if modern TVs are able to support it if Sony chose an approach outside the HDMI specifications.

Sanador

To us non-technical people, can someone explain why the Xbox S was required for HDR but not for PS4?

Sony planned for the HDMI interface to be upgraded through firmware. Unless you built it anticipating a specification change, it would be impossible to change via firmware. At least that is how I have heard it explained.

Sanador

HDR10 needs a HDMI 2.0a specification implemantation. HDCP 2.2 has nothing to do with HDR as it is Copy protection/DRM.

As far as we know the launch PS4 only has HDMI 1.4. Thats the reason people are interested what kind of HDR Sony actually implemented in the FW update and if modern TVs are able to support it if Sony chose an approach outside the HDMI specifications.

It had much greater bandwidth than the 1.4 standard at launch. This is why.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

I never mentioned HDCP. I know what that is.

There's a piece on Ars Technica detailing how the support looks like:

HDR on the old PS4: No games, no streaming, just a useless menu option

Since HDR support seems heavily tied to 4K and Ultra Blu Ray across media, it seems unlikely the situation will change outside of any developers willing to build PS4 base mode games that support HDR but not any other improvements. Though I'd imagine normal PS4 systems will be lower in the pecking order compared with PS4 Pro.

xion4360

Since HDR support seems heavily tied to 4K and Ultra Blu Ray across media, it seems unlikely the situation will change outside of any developers willing to build PS4 base mode games that support HDR but not any other improvements. Though I'd imagine normal PS4 systems will be lower in the pecking order compared with PS4 Pro.

It was just posted a few posts above.. Of course its a useless menu option right now, no games support it.. but that will change moving forward.

NBA 2K17 should be the first.

NBA 2K17 should be the first.

There are threads for forwards compatible New 3DS games and PS4 to Pro games, wonder if anyone is willing to document forwards compatible HDR functionality for the base PS4 model and its existing software + upcoming games that are confirmed to support it.

Wag

http://4k.com/news/dolby-vision-hdr-ready-for-many-more-4k-devices-thanks-to-software-version-18728/

The people at Dolby have even demonstrated the newly increased flexibility caused by their changes to Dolby Vision by running content with the standard on an old PlayStation 4 console, which comes only with HDMI 1.4 ports. This of course is just the beginning of how this HDR spec could start arriving in many more devices.

It's too bad I can't create topics anymore because this one seems worthy of one- apparently Dolby Vision is now capable in software on a standard PS4.

Top Bottom