• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4's will receive HDR upgrade via firmware

KyleCross

So has Sony said anymore about this firmware update? They said "next week" five days ago so it should be soon, right? Wonder if there's even going to be anything HDR compatible when it launches.

eFKac

So has Sony said anymore about this firmware update? They said "next week" five days ago so it should be soon, right? Wonder if there's even going to be anything HDR compatible when it launches.

Wondering about this as well.

As I understand it, it would not be a system wide feature but rather on a case by case basis for patched games and upcoming games which will have this mode.

By next week I assume they've meant anything between this Monday and next Sunday.

Sony and devs have been very quiet about this, cause PS4 Pro is the zeitgeist, I think we only know about UC4 and TLoU that are getting an HDR mode and a couple of upcoming games in the coming months.

Elios83

During TGS I guess, firmware 4.0 has been in beta for a few weeks already.
About HDR it would be nice if some titles supporting it were available immediatly, but I doubt it.

III-V

Considering Sony said 'next week' I imagine this patched-in HDR support might launch this coming Friday the 16th, corresponding to the Slim launch as well.

It seems completely ludicrous to imagine that HDR will accompany 1080p image, soo whats going on here? If the PS4 HDMI are 1.4, will that support HDR metadata, 10 bit color and 4K at 30 fps? Sounds like Netflix Streaming capabilities?

UHD media players shipped in 2013?

Or will we see the elusive 1.4 to 2.0 driver update (hew, hew)?

It seems completely ludicrous to imagine that HDR will accompany 1080p image, soo whats going on here?
Maybe it's ludicrous if it's geared towards the HDR-capable 1080p displays that aren't really a thing, but for PS4s currently connected to UHD TVs, that could definitely be useful.

KyleCross

It seems completely ludicrous to imagine that HDR will accompany 1080p image, soo whats going on here?
HDR isn't a 4k exclusive technology, it's just what they're pushing it with as 4k is the new standard. You absolutely can have it on 1080p, or even lower. It'll be a huge benefit to all resolutions.

Both Netflix and Amazon Instant offers HDR on below-4k streams, so it'll depend on them to update HDR into the apps on PS4.

Harp

The first game to be released with HDr is NBA 2k17. The game will support HDr on the 16th on Xbox one s and HDR will be patched into the ps4 version after launch.i get the feeling no one knew out side of Sony HDr was coming to everything until last Wednesday. Hopefully Sony first parties have at least a couple patches day one. But I truly don't expect anything until Nov 10

Massa

Tue/Wed is when they usually release firmware updates.

thisisamul

Neo Member
Nice I just bought a 4k TV. But i kept HDR off cause i always thought it caused input lag. But i guess turning it on doesn't mean much since my ps4 doesn't support it yet? or does it? kind of confused.

What type of TV do you have? Generally HDR is enabled automatically when you send an HDR signal to it - so you can't manually turn it on.

Can somebody point me to a 1080p HDR compatible TV?

There are none. It's all 4K HDR. Though you don't need a true 4K source to benefit from HDR. A good chunk of UHD Blu-rays aren't even 4K but 2K upscaled, which is only a few lines away from 1080p resolution anyway.

KyleCross

Nice I just bought a 4k TV. But i kept HDR off cause i always thought it caused input lag. But i guess turning it on doesn't mean much since my ps4 doesn't support it yet? or does it? kind of confused.
You might be confusing a setting as HDR isn't usually a setting, it automatically turns on when it detects HDR content. Are you maybe talking about UHD Color? That should only be activated for 4k devices.

Tenshin

so ps4 pro and hdr does not do anything for me because of my old tv.. does the pro has optical port like the old ps4?

You might be confusing a setting as HDR isn't usually a setting, it automatically turns on when it detects HDR content. Are you maybe talking about UHD Color? That should only be activated for 4k devices.

What type of TV do you have? Generally HDR is enabled automatically when you send an HDR signal to it - so you can't manually turn it on.

My TV model is UN40KU7000. What am I looking at? as far as i know it has HDR.

F34R

Correct and to be honest our current infrastructure cant really handle UHD so UHD broadcasts becoming what HD is now is a pipe dream, but hey 8K UHD has been known for years now and theres no way in hell thats going to get picked up. We're becoming more and more ok with mediocre display technology that theres almost no point anymore. Heavily compressed 4K video on mobile screens, yay...

HDR10 is the Open standard, Dolby Vision is the "Pro" standard.
just checked a vizio tv that supports Dolby Vision. $5,999 and it has 1.07B colors. same as my Dell 4K IPS monitors. even $300 monitors will display that many colors. TV marketing is the worst...
Comparing a reference 65" tv to a smaller computer monitor isn't a fair comparison at all.
Right now only a few 4k new tv models has HDR so i dont see many people benefeting from it.
There's a decent amount of them now. Samsung, LG, Vizo, Sony, all have two years worth of tv's at least with 4k/hdr.

ethomaz

Banned
It has HDR but...

"Unfortunately, HDR performance is average, judder is present in movies and the picture deteriorates when viewed from the side."

To use it you just need something sending HDR via HDMI to your HDTV... the HDMI cable needs to support 18Gbps too.

It has HDR but...

"Unfortunately, HDR performance is average, judder is present in movies and the picture deteriorates when viewed from the side."

well i mostly sit right infront of the TV. But yeah man the TV is like 600 bucks. Can't ask too much from it. Atleast it got HDR lol. BTW one of the reason i got this TV is because I saw the input lag on it is very good for a 4k TV.

thisisamul

Neo Member

Yes it does - but it doesn't get "enabled" unless you send an HDR signal to the TV.

The HDR+ mode on that Samsung is a software feature that attempts to make SDR content look like HDR.

If you want to see HDR in action there is some content on Amazon prime video as well as Netflix. When you play HDR enabled content and check your picture setting you will notice the backlight automatically get maxed out.

I checked jeff's ludicrous prediction thread OP and he didn't mention HDR at all. Or anything similar.

Ironically, the one thing that Sony could add... he didn't predict.

virtualS

To me this is confirmation that the HDMI controller in all PS4s are upgradeable to 2.0a which hopefully implies that HDCP 2.2 can be activated also.

Unless of course this is some sort of hack... which seems unlikely. Dolby Vision works through HDMI 1.4 but also requires a custom chipset. Odds are this is a proper HDR10 implementation.

All we need now is for Sony to flash the blu ray drive to accept triple layer discs, pay licencing fees and get 4K movies working through the optical drive. Make sure Dolby Atmos, etc can be bitstreamed and add a few logos to the case.

LordofPwn

Comparing a reference 65" tv to a smaller computer monitor isn't a fair comparison at all.
It would be if I was directly comparing them, but you missed the part where I was talking about available colors as a marketing "sell" point. TV marketing is dumb. "This brand new 2016 TV has over a billion colors! Isn't that amazing, plz give us thousands of dollars." Yeah ok but like my computer monitor has been able to do that for years and doesn't really fuck with the video signal it receives. Don't get me wrong, computer displays are expensive for their size but atleast they aren't as bogged down by bs.

Edit:
In reference to the post above. HDCP is a different beast than HDMI. The PS4 HDMI has always been custom. Dolby vision working through 1.4 with custom chips also makes HDR10 work through that same system. If it supports Dolby Vision it supports HDR10, just not the other way around. I don't believe Sony has officially said that their HDMI was 1.4, they've only said it had HDMI out. Some other place just rated it at 1.4.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
According to Cerny, HDR color compression is all calculated on the GPU, and they just need to activate a software renderer for it for non HDMI 2.0 compliant units.

The HDMI 2.0 jump is primarily to get 4K 60fps with HDR support baked in, as HDMI 1.4 does not support that format 4K/60 or HDR on its own.

Caayn

Can someone tell me what is this setting on my tv
"hdmi uhd color"
On most TVs this enables 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 chroma subsampling and higher bit depth 10/12bits on 4K60Hz inputs. If this is disabled you'll get a maximum of 4:2:0 / 8bits on 4K60Hz.

Chroma subsampling determines the colour compression that takes place, blu-rays for example use chroma subsampling 4:2:0.

Despite this, you'll want to enable this option for the sources that do support 4:4:4 or higher bit depth at 4k60Hz.

III-V

HDR isn't a 4k exclusive technology, it's just what they're pushing it with as 4k is the new standard. You absolutely can have it on 1080p, or even lower. It'll be a huge benefit to all resolutions.

Both Netflix and Amazon Instant offers HDR on below-4k streams, so it'll depend on them to update HDR into the apps on PS4.

Currently, HDR is a feature set exclusive to 4K monitors.

I get that you are trying to decouple 4K & HDR, but there are going to be a lot of sad pups thinking that HDR will benefit their 1080p display when it simply will not.

Shin-Ra

Will High Dynamic Range be added to, or replace the Deep Colour Output setting.

29004388634_9531d04276_o.png

spwolf

I get that you are trying to decouple 4K & HDR, but there are going to be a lot of sad pups thinking that HDR will benefit their 1080p display when it simply will not.

point of this is to enable HDR for PS4 OG/Slim owners that have HDR TV (4K) and do not have PS4 Pro. They will get HDR without having to buy new console.

Why would people with non-HDR displays think this will give their displays HDR?

so ps4 pro and hdr does not do anything for me because of my old tv.. does the pro has optical port like the old ps4?
PS4 Pro certainly does something for you if you own a 1080p TV, as it will have benefits like native 1080p rendering, higher frame rates, increased visual effects, etc. It's a better GPU, and higher clocked CPU, you can appreciate that it will deliver better visuals.

Edit: But correct, PS4 Pro and HDR doesn't do anything for those of us that do not have 4K HDR capable sets.

onQ123

According to Cerny, HDR color compression is all calculated on the GPU, and they just need to activate a software renderer for it for non HDMI 2.0 compliant units.

The HDMI 2.0 jump is primarily to get 4K 60fps with HDR support baked in, as HDMI 1.4 does not support that format 4K/60 or HDR on its own.

When did he say this? are you sure he didn't just say they needed to update the code in the HDMI output?

Will High Dynamic Range be added to, or replace the Deep Colour Output setting.

29004388634_9531d04276_o.png

I imagine it will run parallel to it. Deep Color works on TVs that support it (I have 2 1080p screens that can) and HDR is a different color space altogether. Deep Color is just there for support even though many TVs prior to The New Hotness don't support it and/or don't have 10-bit panels.

Shin-Ra

I imagine it will run parallel to it. Deep Color works on TVs that support it (I have 2 1080p screens that can) and HDR is a different color space altogether. Deep Color is just there for support even though many TVs prior to The New Hotness don't support it and/or don't have 10-bit panels.
Is there any PS4 software to-date that's output 10(30-bit) colour though.

Either way, everything new that does will probably also support HDR so the same updated 'Automatic' option may just cover [10bpc, HDR luminance, WCG] together for simplicity.

It partly depends how reliable displays are at communicating their exact capabilities over HDMI.

KyleCross

Then they need to learn to read. I'll repeat; HDR isn't a 4k technology. TV manufactors are currently only including them in 4k televisions yes, but you do not need 4k resolution for HDR. That's all I'm trying to say.

I've been using the Wii U's HDMI for PS4. Should I get a new HDMI to get HDR? My HDR TV is arriving soon and I need to be prepared.

Given it's not sending a 4K signal it might not, but at the same time the High-Speed HDMI standard cables (an actual, honest to god change in HDMI cables!) are normally needed for it (since it's coupled with 4K signals, despite not being part of the standard itself).

HDR is pretty bandwidth intensive, though, so it may be necessary.

Top Bottom