• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon UK: Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy is 2017's best selling game in just 2 days

Acidote

Best selling videogame in Amazon.es too, right behind the SNES Classic Mini in the global for all videogame stuff.

StayDead

UK in the 90s was Playstation country. Anecdotal of course but nearly everyone in my school had a playstation and I grew up on it and my Gameboy Colour.

Crash was my first game I think I really loved. Can't wait to get this <3

B.O.O.M

All these anecdotal comments about the game being sold out makes it sound like even Sony/Activision underestimated the sales for the franchise.

CTR next pls. I'll be there day 1.

oti

Banned
Man, I'm so happy a 3D platformer is #1. Hope this means more games in that genre*.

*outside of Nintendo, the more the better

I'd argue, and maybe sales figures would prove me wrong, that Crash was a bigger name over here in the 90s than Mario (you could even make a case for Sonic).

Everyone I knew - and I mean everyone - had a Playstation and Crash Bandicoot.

Wollan

I believe every single outing of Crash Bandicoot sold better than Mario 64 at the time. I'm not sure if there's any caveat to that, sounds crazy to own a N64 but not Mario.

Skeff

Anecodotal but the game was sold out absolutely everywhere in my town, so it doesn't really surprise me it's doing well.

No they're Coco

It is currently sold out at:

Game - online and within 50 miles of me.
Tesco - online and all the stores i checked
Smyths - online and in all stores apparently, the guy there said any stores with stock left at the end of friday had to ship them back to warehouse for online orders which are now gone.
Grainger games have stock online and 5 copies in stores within 70 miles of me.
Argos unavailable for home delivery and OOS in every store i can check online

I can't remember the last time a game was out of stock so much, I had some games to trade in for it and now i have to drive 15 miles and hope no one buys the solitary copy of the game whilst i drive...

Striek

Anecdotally its the most talked about game amongst my friends and co-workers since Pokemon GO. Not saying that much though since games aren't a typical conversation point most of the time. But there is real nostalgia.

I'm really glad that things seem to be going smoothly so far. I haven't bought the game yet, but Crash 2 was the PS1 game for me all the time. I'd love to know if the younger demographic has been getting it too.

Alienfan

I thought it would sell well. I haven't seen a video game get this much mainstream coverage since GTA5. Nostalgia one hell of a drug

There's no way Crash won't get a sequel, hopefully it's multiplatform

Scotia

Banned
Great news, really happy for Vicarious Visions and the Crash Bandicoot franchise.

I think a "real" new entry in the series with the current design and engine is now almost certain.

This is what I want next the most. CTR would be nice and I'd love to see Spyro get the same treatment, but to me Crash isn't truly back until he gets a new game, hopefully made by VV.

Smyths - online and in all stores apparently, the guy there said any stores with stock left at the end of friday had to ship them back to warehouse for online orders which are now gone.

I can't remember the last time a game was out of stock so much, I had some games to trade in for it and now i have to drive 15 miles and hope no one buys the solitary copy of the game whilst i drive...
No me neither, I just assumed I'd be able to walk into a store and get a copy. Ended up picking it up on Amazon

Kuraudo

Banned

It's happened this year with Nier, Nioh, Persona 5 Resi 7, BotW, probably a lot more. UK stores seem to be ordering less stock of most titles that aren't the usual EA/Ubi titles (which ironically seem to have nowhere near the demand they used to). Seems like they're having a hard time predicting which games consumers actually want.

Skeff

It's happened this year with Nier, Nioh, Persona 5 Resi 7, BotW, probably a lot more. UK stores seem to be ordering less stock of most titles that aren't the usual EA/Ubi titles (which ironically seem to have nowhere near the demand they used to). Seems like they're having a hard time predicting which games consumers actually want.

I know it was tough to find a copy of some of those, in particular Nier and Persona were a llittle tricky to hunt down, but i didn't have any trouble with the others at all really, I guess it's all anecdotal?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I believe every single outing of Crash Bandicoot sold better than Mario 64 at the time. I'm not sure if there's any caveat to that, sounds crazy to own a N64 but not Mario.
Well, as a percentage, more N64 owners bought Mario than PS owners bought each iteration of Crash but there was 4x the PS owners.

Not putting the series down as they basically made Naughty Dog into the developer they are today. But out of the N64 owners they're likely to be the more vocal Nintendo fans so you still hear more from them as well as the decline of the Crash series after the PS1 turning people away.

This shows how highly the PS1 games were regarded here in the UK, which is very by the looks of things.

Ivan 3414

Sorry but no one cares about Crash. There can't be any way that this game sold that well. there's not even that many people in the uk anyway lol. No way this even cracks top 50 in america, Crash was never good and sales will prove that next NPD.

theaface

Good for them. I'm currently playing through Crash 1 at the moment having never had a PS1 in my youth, and I'm having a great time despite the brutal difficulty spikes.

Whether you call this a remake or a remaster, it's clear that a lot of care has gone into this and it looks and feels like how you would want a 20 year old game to when it gets refreshed. Pleased to hear it's doing well.

bede-x

Wiki has Mario 64 at 11 million and the first Crash (the best selling) at 6.8 million. Don't know how correct those numbers are.

oti

Banned
No, but like every Insomniac game I've ever played, they're completely unremarkable. They exist. They're fine. But that's it.

Obviously just my personal opinion.

I remember playing the first one and not liking it as a kid. And I loooooooooved Crash.

That PROVES that Crash good Spyro bad. Science.

Wollan

Wiki has Mario 64 at 11 million and the first Crash (the best selling) at 6.8 million. Don't know how correct those numbers are.
It has been repeated a few times. Even once more at this years E3 (by Jason Rubin, one of the founders of ND). But yeah, sounds like it could in reality be Crash Trilogy > Mario 64. That 11 million number is purely the N64 outing and not DS?

Oreiller

I'd argue, and maybe sales figures would prove me wrong, that Crash was a bigger name over here in the 90s than Mario (you could even make a case for Sonic).

Everyone I knew - and I mean everyone - had a Playstation and Crash Bandicoot.
I'm convinced both Crash and Sonic were bigger than Mario in the UK at the time, which proves how badly both franchises have been handled since then.

Top Bottom