• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD R9 390X benchmarks leak

Josman

Is this going to be 14nm? If so, I'm not as impressed, specially with power consumption which is an important factor to me :/

DieH@rd

Banned
Is this going to be 14nm? If so, I'm not as impressed, specially with power consumption which is an important factor to me :/

No. This is still the 28nm tech [last one we will get from AMD].

Next year, both AMD and Nvidia are switching to 14nm finfet. AMD will adopt HBM1 this year, and both Nvidia/AMD will switch to HBM2 next year.

What are you guys expecting to be a reasonable price for this card? $399?
There are rumors that the top of the line 390X with water cooling and 8gb of vram will cost ~700$. But that price can be cut down with switch to aircooler and 4gb of ram [and non X version].

OmegaX06

6970 here too (except I have two in crossfire). I'll be getting this or a 980ti. Most likely going with Nvidia thanks to an awful driver experience over the past several years.

Instro

No. This is still the 28nm tech [last one we will get from AMD].

Next year, both AMD and Nvidia are switching to 14nm finfet. AMD will adopt HBM1 this year, and both Nvidia/AMD will switch to HBM2 next year.

Yeah next year seems like the time to wait for on a new GPU.

LQX

How the hell AMD still cant get their power consumption under control after all these years is frustrations. It may not matter to some but for me it is big issue as electricity costs are out control here and my computer is nearly always on.

CryptiK

Looks like the 980Ti is going to be boned. Yeah it will still have the brand power behind it. But there now is no other reason to buy it over the 390X. Surprisingly the Ti is slower than the Titan this time.

DieH@rd

Banned
I switched to 270X when my 6870 died few months back. As it goes right now, I will most likely wait for 14nm tech and the significant performance increases it will enable.

UnrealEck

Looks like the 980Ti is going to be boned. Yeah it will still have the brand power behind it. But there now is no other reason to buy it over the 390X. Surprisingly the Ti is slower than the Titan this time.

Aren't AMD's drivers and multi-GPU support dreadfully bad? That's the only thing really holding me back. Well that and things like Gameworks.

CryptiK

Aren't AMD's drivers and multi-GPU support dreadfully bad? That's the only thing really holding me back. Well that and things like Gameworks.
Yep thats what holds me back as well. I wont be buying AMD because they have terrible driver support. That and I'm attached to Shadowplay.

grtkbrandon

Neo Member

I've had AMD my entire PC career. Not a fanboy or something I've set out to do on purpose, my wallet just kind of guided me that way. That said, I personally haven't had any driver issues. I do believe they exist for some people but think it's less of an issue nowadays. Plus some NVIDIA users are currently having massive performance drops with the newest GTA V driver that released, which goes to show that it happens to the best of them.

Irobot82

How the hell AMD still cant get their power consumption under control after all these years is frustrations. It may not matter to some but for me it is big issue as electricity costs are out control here and my computer is nearly always on.

Always on and with the GPU always at 100%? Otherwise that is irrelevant. ZeroCore power downclock's the GPU's to like 300mhz with one monitor so it sips power. This stuff has been around since 7000 series.

spicy cho

Was going to wait for these new GPUs as well (got rid of my 6950 a few months ago), but the r9 290 prices were too good to pass up.
If I was in the US I'd pick up a 290 or 290x on one of those crazy deals but we don't get good deals in Canada, so I'm just waiting for this instead.

Durante

I think there are, and have been for a long time now, plenty of reasons to go with Nvidia rahter than AMD GPUs other than "brand power" -- even if the latter do offer more average FPS/$.

Durante

Übermatik;163944229 said:
What would the REALISTIC price point be for this card, and what are we thinking it SHOULD be priced at?
If the benchmarks are true, I'd say a realistic and likely pricepoint will be $500 for the 4GB version. A 8GB version, if there is one, can go for quite a bit more than that.

golem

Yep thats what holds me back as well. I wont be buying AMD because they have terrible driver support. That and I'm attached to Shadowplay.

Features-wise AMD hasnt always been able to keep up with Nvidia but with regards to performance and stability, they have about an equal share of problems from my experience.

Crzy1

Übermatik;163944229 said:
What would the REALISTIC price point be for this card, and what are we thinking it SHOULD be priced at?
Realistically, I'd say it'll probably land at $549 or $599 USD just so they can make Nvidia squirm like they did with the 290X. Nvidia has a large stable of Maxwell cards right now, so they'll likely shift prices down on everything but the Titan X if it does land around the same price as the GTX 980.

paskowitz

We do not know the price of the 980Ti yet. With the 960 at $200, 970 at $300-350, we could easily see the 980 drop to ~$450 and then have the 980ti slot in at around $600. I highly doubt AMD will be able to sell their (4gb) 390x for anything less than $700.

The biggest arguements against this are team green's pricing history and the price of the Titan (although, that may drop depending on what AMD does).

Jas

Features-wise AMD hasnt always been able to keep up with Nvidia but with regards to performance and stability, they have about an equal share of problems from my experience.

Completely agree with you, I have a GTX 770 in one rig and a 7950 in another.

Only thing I'd add is AMD is better with multi-monitors.

CryptiK

We do not know the price of the 980Ti yet. With the 960 at $200, 970 at $300-350, we could easily see the 980 drop to ~$450 and then have the 980ti slot in at around $600. I highly doubt AMD will be able to sell their (4gb) 390x for anything less than $700.

The biggest arguements against this are team green's pricing history and the price of the Titan (although, that may drop depending on what AMD does).
290x RRP was $549, 780Ti RRP was $699. And the 780Ti launched after the 290x. You are dreaming if you think the Ti will be cheaper.

What's keeping AMD from charging $600?

NVIDIA. AMD's market is cheap cards that go fast. Without that they have nothing.

thelastword

Banned
This beats a 12Gb Titan, that's all that needs to be said, very impressive for single gpu performance. I don't think Sli figures should be in such benchmarks though.

Gimme that GTX960ti with 3Gb, 256bits bus and dead silent HS for less than 200 bucks or else I will keep my vram starved GTX560ti for another year. I'm serious Nvidia!

This beats a 12Gb Titan, that's all that needs to be said, very impressive for single gpu performance. I don't think Sli figures should be in such benchmarks though.

Given how these benchmarks aren't official, nothing can be said of its performance. In fact, benchmark leak threads have to have so much salt in them. Everything is lies.

Trogdor1123

Unrelated question but I have a 560TI right now and I am looking to upgrade it. What would be the best card under $200?

98% sure these are the exact same old benchmarks reposted every few months. Rumors do point to a June unveiling. I hope AMD comes back strong even though i just bought a 980m GTX laptop.

If it comes out to around $600-$700 and beats out the Titan X, then it will sell like hotcakes. Beating out the 980, 980 Ti and Titan X at a more affordable price will be damn nice. However, I'll just probably add another GTX 970 and beat out all of those cards by themselves :).

Serious question, why does any enthusiast looking at high end cards care about power consumption? If I'm buying a ferarri, do I care about gas milage?

Also 20W difference, even if used 24X7 at full capacity over a year, is like $10 in electricity costs.....

Serious question, why does any enthusiast looking at high end cards care about power consumption? If I'm buying a ferarri, do I care about gas milage?

Also 20W difference, even if used 24X7 at full capacity over a year, is like $10 in electricity costs.....

Exactly. Like Lambo's these are "high end" products.

What's the best graphics card to capture footage of your desktop at the highest framerate?

Like 60fps 1080p with several video overlays playing? Possible?

I heard shadowplay has limitations and the games have to be fullscreen.

Top Bottom