• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
Just got 8 of my 12 delivered from Amazon. The other three come on Monday (Link, Samus, and Marth). Not sure why they took longer to fulfill, but I knew it at the time of order.

Any ideas when they will work in MK8 and Hyrule Warriors? I know in MK8, there is a place in the menu for it, but not sure if it's active yet.

Not sure about MK8, but the patch for amiibo compatibility in Hyrule Warriors comes out on Thursday.

Pilgrimzero

Best Buy near my place had all of them (except Marth, I guess). Picked up Mario, Link, and Samus.

I am pleasantly surprised by how nice they look, especially Samus and that nice metallic paint.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Here's our first three Amiiboz:

Fzb9aNz.jpg

Samus looks nice as expected. In person the paint on Fox is really pretty good for the complexity of his costume.

The solid matte color cartoon characters like Yoshi seem to come out best, nearly flawless.

kunonabi

Just got 9 of my 12 delivered from Amazon. The other three come on Monday (Link, Samus, and Marth). Not sure why they took longer to fulfill, but I knew it at the time of order.

Any ideas when they will work in MK8 and Hyrule Warriors? I know in MK8, there is a place in the menu for it, but not sure if it's active yet.

They already work for MK8. I'm hoping that Hyrule Warriors will start reading them with the Nov. 27 update.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm happy with my set! I did have to wait at TRU for an hour since they never opened any of the boxes yet. Looking for Villager was what took the longest (since he only had ONE box out of... a lot).

Happy with my set though :) Geeze what an expensive endeavor... Series 2 coming out next month is TOO SOON!!

Pilgrimzero

Oh yea, the Wal-Mart near my place has misplaced their stock of Amiibos. They have the sign out and everything but no figs. I asked and the worker told me they can't find the shipment.

Spiderduff

I might go by there to take advantage of the 3 for 30 but I don't know if I want three more. Can I use that for pre-orders? If so, I'll get zelda, lucario and fox.

You guys think Best Buy will price match the 3 for $30? Picking up pokemon later and dont want to drive to Toys R Us.

ASIS

Wait, so Amiibos are a hit? It may seem obvious to everyone but I'm very surprised. I thought it would only target a niche market and nothing more.

Wait, so Amiibos are a hit? It may seem obvious to everyone but I'm very surprised. I thought it would only target a niche market and nothing more.

Well, you have to consider that this niche market has deep pockets and the strong tendency to collect and hoard things. I'm not surprised on launch day. I will be surprised in a couple weeks if they are still selling out.

Nohar

Hum... I'm torned. I guess I may buy some amiibos in the future, but I don't feel the need to do it right now. Once more games make use of those, I guess I'll give it a try, but I'm not feeling buying one for Smash Bros, or just to look cool on my shelf (though getting Samus is very tempting).

Though, it seems that one needs to be wary: the quality of the amiibos is not perfect (some paint running where it shouldn't, Samus being tilted, Link suffering from a severe case of Strabismus...). Close inspection is required before buying one.

Only saw one Marth and I went to 3 stores. My local Target had 2 Villager's left so I got one, anticipated only getting 3 at TRU today but got 5 spread across 3 stores. Peach, Yoshi, Link, Villager and Fox all for $54 is not bad.

inki

I really wonder if people are totally mis(or under)informed and think this is a skylanders/Disney Infinity type product. Where you get levels and such.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It's way too early to tell if they're a success or not.

Well, you have to consider that this niche market has deep pockets and the strong tendency to collect and hoard things. I'm not surprised on launch day. I will be surprised in a couple weeks if they are still selling out.

This! Check back after a few weeks to know. Though Nintendo has more waves coming which should infuse life into the idea even more.

Sandfox

I really wonder if people are totally mis(or under)informed and think this is a skylanders/Disney Infinity type product. Where you get levels and such.

I think they would notice that before buying given there's no game being sold with the figures and the sections in stores being dedicated to showing how Amiibo figures work.

Just went to my Toys'R'Us and picked up Samus, Pikachu, and Kirby. I already had my Amazon order of Link come earlier today.

As for availability at the store, there were only two Kirby's and Samus's left. A handful of Pikachu. A lot of Mario and Link left. One Villager left. I think they ran out of Fox, Marth, and Wii Fit Trainer.

Chucker

VrK6BHdl.jpg

No problem here. Target has LOTS.
Got a non derp Marth to go with Samus.
Would have gotten Villager if Marth was bad.

enewtabie

I went to Gamestop to get the game and I ended up with a controller and some Amiibos. These were extra in the store and not preorders.

So I noticed there's a really weird implementation of these. I guess some stores are either lazy or didn't stock all of them. The first pic is from Best Buy, where Wii Fit Trainer, Marth and Villager were totally out of stock. As far as I could tell, all the other amiibos were there.

In the second pic, I went to Walmart (had to look for something else) and stopped by the shelf. Oddly enough, they had more than enough Marth and Villager, but were completely missing (as in lacking a rung to even stick them on) Samus, Starfox, Yoshi, Kirby and Donkey Kong. Made even weirder by the fact that Yoshi is in the freaking display cabinet!

Last pic is my Starfox. He's all I really wanted today. I'll get some more later.

Intru

Went to Walmart today, got the game with Kirby and pikachu. No problem getting what I wanted, but Marth was sold out.

I'm feeling pretty mixed on the functionality of Amiibos in Smash Bros so far.

1. You can't seem to take Amiibo characters with you on All-Star or Classic modes.

2. Why are the Amiibo equipments and regular custom equipments separate?

3. I personally enjoy fighting against Amiibo fighters than CPUs because of the adaptability of the AI...but there is no way to turn off all the extra stat boosts that the Amiibo has. So Im constantly in the situation of being handicapped against fighters that incredibly beefed up from consuming a bunch of equipments and loses almost all of the time.

4. Interestingly, if you turn off custom characters in Smash Mode and you load in an Amiibo fighter, they still keep their custom move sets. I honestly feel like that's something that Nintendo QA would have reported as a bug and it came back from the developer as 仕様です ("It is by design") :p

Maybe I should have read up more on it before I purchased one...or maybe I'm missing something?

Labrys

Was able to pick up a Kirby, he's pretty much pristine. They had a lot of others from what I can tell, too. (Gamestop)

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
So immediately after opening my big box of Amiibos from Amazon, I went and cancelled my wave 2 and 3 preorders. I really want to have a sealed collection of Amiibos, but a good number of the Amiibos I received had boxes that are all fucked up:

Y5YoOBsl.jpg

2UaG4A7l.jpg

DRpe6mrl.jpg

zSDXJMMl.jpg

And the best one...

xFnZzp0l.jpg

I'm just going to try to buy them all from a brick and mortar store from now on.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So immediately after opening my big box of Amiibos from Amazon, I went and cancelled my wave 2 and 3 preorders. I really want to have a sealed collection of Amiibos, but a good number of the Amiibos I received had boxes that are all fucked up:[/IMG]

I'm just going to try to buy them all from a brick and mortar store from now on.

Welcome to Amazon shipping!!! This is why I don't pre-order any LEs online that are also available in stores. At least places like NISA (and even IF and SE) know how to package stuff.

MattyG

Banned
So immediately after opening my big box of Amiibos from Amazon, I went and cancelled my wave 2 and 3 preorders. I really want to have a sealed collection of Amiibos, but a good number of the Amiibos I received had boxes that are all fucked up:

Oh god, Link's box.

Come on, Amazon.

TI82

Banned
You could tell it to a customer agent and they would have another quality control complaint with Nintendo like on the 3ds.

CBTech

My Link amiibo just got in. It looks cool though I my big complaint is that Link looks like he is looking down too much. I really need to pick up the Samus one.

demigod

I might go by there to take advantage of the 3 for 30 but I don't know if I want three more. Can I use that for pre-orders? If so, I'll get zelda, lucario and fox.

Do you have Best Buy GCU? They're like $10.30 each there. I only bought 3 at toys r us because they didnt have them at best buy when i preordered yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom