• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

While waiting for my Smash to come from UPS I decided to take my Pikachu on an adventure.

Out of the box and first thing I did was give him a name.

So boss.

After being cooped up in the box, it was time for some fresh air.

Chu in his natural habitat.

We even met up with an old pal.

But it a wild box appeared.

It's finally here.

The homie Chu is geared up to whop some ass.
Haha, I love it XD

"What are these for? I mean, I know you can scan them in and fight against them.. But what are these for?"

You know what I mean though. Why sell plastic figures for something that is basically just another AI fighter you can level? Why not just include AI levelling in the game? Obviously for profit reasons (why sell a game for $60 when you can get players to spend $15-$50 more?), but it doesn't seem to add an advantage for the player instead of just having it be something included in the AI. Basically they are selling something and then limiting the existing AI for those who don't want to pay extra.

zruben

Banned
vL971G6.jpg

my friends and I have started calling that version Pikacholo.

Chopper

Stupid question: Does each amiibo relate to that specific character in Samsh Bros, or can you train up any character using any amiibo to store it?

zashga

Picked up a Samus at Target. None of the characters were sold out yet, but they did have to fetch mine from the back of the store.

You know what I mean though. Why sell plastic figures for something that is basically just another AI fighter you can level? Why not just include AI levelling in the game? Obviously for profit reasons (why sell a game for $60 when you can get players to spend $15-$50 more?), but it doesn't seem to add an advantage for the player instead of just having it be something included in the AI. Basically they are selling something and then limiting the existing AI for those who don't want to pay extra.

The AI is portable, so there's that. People just like the physical aspect of these NFC-based games as proven by Skylanders/Disney Infinity, and those games are far more limiting in content without them. There's also not a whole lot of Nintendo merch like this, especially for certain IP and characters.

Neiteio

Yes you can and they level up faster fighting each other more than human player.
I wonder, though, if the Amiibo face each other, how do they learn? Maybe it's a good idea to have a human and two or more Amiibo duke it out? That way they can copy the human's behavior...

Labrys

While waiting for my Smash to come from UPS I decided to take my Pikachu on an adventure.

How does one do this? I've been tapping the base of my kirby on the gamepad and nothing is happening.

Nevermind, I'm stupid.

I wonder, though, if the Amiibo face each other, how do they learn? Maybe it's a good idea to have a human and two or more Amiibo duke it out? That way they can copy the human's behavior...

Spoiler:
the learning from human players was more or less a lie to make them seem better and they actually just randomly change up their attacks anyway.

Neiteio

Spoiler:
the learning from human players was more or less a lie to make them seem better and they actually just randomly change up their attacks anyway.
Are you sure? It seems kind of coincidental, then, how it worked out for some reporters, where they'd taunt after KO-ing an amiibo, and then the amiibo would taunt after a KO, etc.

Bought link and samus at best buy. The minor characters were sold out. No marth, no villager, no WFT, no captain falcon. The two i bought were the second-to-last of their respective characters. There were plenty of marios, dks, peaches, yoshis, pikachus, kirbys...

I'm satisfied with the quality and kind of want them all now.

mugwhump

It's unclear exactly how the "learning" is implemented. Might be supervised learning where they copy observed behavior, or it could be reinforcement learning.

Now I wanna buy one to see if there's actually some machine learning going on...

Spoiler:

This would not surprise me at all. But afaik nobody's done any thorough testing so far.

edit:
Believe it or not, Brawl AI learned from players too. Maybe to a lesser extent, and it was based on all human players so it was an amalgam of play styles. Amiibos are a way to personalize it.

No, it didn't. Brawl's AI has been hacked pretty thoroughly, and replay data against AIs shows no saved AI info either. The most that could have possibly happened was that the AI learned over a single match, but then forgot everything... which would be pointless.

Are you sure? It seems kind of coincidental, then, how it worked out for some reporters, where they'd taunt after KO-ing an amiibo, and then the amiibo would taunt after a KO, etc.

Believe it or not, Brawl AI learned from players too. Maybe to a lesser extent, and it was based on all human players so it was an amalgam of play styles. Amiibos are a way to personalize it.

TI82

Banned
Bought link and samus at best buy. The minor characters were sold out. No marth, no villager, no WFT, no captain falcon. The two i bought were the second-to-last of their respective characters. There were plenty of marios, dks, peaches, yoshis, pikachus, kirbys...

I'm satisfied with the quality and kind of want them all now.

Cap ain't out yet

moolamb

So boss.

After being cooped up in the box, it was time for some fresh air.

Chu in his natural habitat.

We even met up with an old pal.

But it a wild box appeared.

It's finally here.

This is the correct use for an amiibo.

RhyDin

Best Buy worker here. We got a lot of Link, Samus, Yoshi. Sold out of Wii Fit trainer, animal crossing and marth..didnt get too many of these to begin with.

I didnt get a Marth because of this. Also, they can only fit so much on the peghook..we have a dozen boxes in the back with more common figures, all depends how fast associates restock these. Ask them to check the back for you.

We also have zero inbound at the moment, we wont be getting more.

I'm an idiot. When deciding which second Amiibo to buy today I decided on Pikachu because he'd work in both Smash and Mario Kart. Stupid me forgetting that not ALL Amiibos work in Mario Kart. I could have had Fox!

Aquila

I managed to price match the ToysRUs sale at Walmart this morning and picked up Samus and Link. Samus looks amazing but some of the others I found have small scuffs or paint errors on them; I'm definitely going to keep buying them at brick and mortar stores to inspect them first.

It's going to be hard to resist DK, Marth, Villager, and Fox until Captain Falcon comes out. I swore he was out in phase 1 but I guess I was mistaken.

No, it didn't. Brawl's AI has been hacked pretty thoroughly, and replay data against AIs shows no saved AI info either. The most that could have possibly happened was that the AI learned over a single match, but then forgot everything... which would be pointless.

I see. I looked through some basic evidence but that was pretty early on in the game's life. If it was proven false though hacks, I suppose that's as good as any confirmation we'd get. It resetting after matches would probably make the most sense though. I don't think the devs would want the AI to stray from "standard" behavior.

TriBlade

I got these info from IGN. They have been posting videos about amiibo. Based on what they said, they do learn to fight a certain way base on how the real player fight them.

I am picking up Yoshi tomorrow. The figures look much better in store. Enjoying my Mario one so far. It is much more fun to spar with than CPU.

Javier

Went to the store to pick up my Smash Wii U copy and they were nearly sold out. All they had left were two Donkey Kongs, two Pikachus, one Wii Fit Trainer, one Villager and one Yoshi. Ended up getting just Yoshi but will search for a couple more tomorrow.

Yoshi definitely looks great.

jnWake

Lol I went to a store to pick up my GC controllers and the guy there told me all Amiibos were sold out. Funny thing was that one of the most demanded was Wii Fit Trainer and he had no idea why.

I was at Target looking at these earlier and heard some mom read it as "Aniboos" as her kids were talking about them.

Snagged a Link last night for my GF at Gamestop when I was getting the game. She loves it. They're a little smaller than I expected.

Aniboos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom