• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got link and samus from gamestop yesterday. Bought mario, pikachu and yoshi from toys r us and then star fox from gamestop again. Gonna ask my wife to gift me dk, peach and villager

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Ok, after reading this thread, I want some more. Fuck you guys.

also one of my link's pupil is really tiny, best shot I could get of it.

B2_veuKCYAAwv84.jpg

Went to the mall with a couple of friends. Had no intention of buying any amiibo... saw Samus then thought why not so while at the cash register the owner of the store said that they wont be getting marth, villigar or wii fit trainer any more(EBgames). After that I went to Walmart and a friend pointed out the wii fit trainer, that last one too, so I caved and bought that as well. Went to target and found 2 marths and 1 villager...... bought them all. Damn you Nintendo! D:

My friend calls them dollies. I'm giving her the extra marth. LOL

Sora_N

Marth is so bad but I got one anyway since he'd be a fun Amiibo or I'd scalp it. Found a decent face and still derp

The best one is Mario.

Our (my) Best Buy in the Milwaukee area stayed pretty well stocked which surprised me, but we got at least 10-15 of each character in stock. The only ones we didn't have more of were the Wii Fit Trainer, Marth & Villager which we all got 2 of each. Territory levels were low too so those might be the ones to go for early on

muteant

And the best one...

xFnZzp0l.jpg

I'm just going to try to buy them all from a brick and mortar store from now on.
Ordered five from Amazon, three boxes were mangled, and oddly enough the packaging for the Link amiibo was in the EXACT same shape as yours. Moreover, there was a post-it note on Link's packaging with "F212" mysteriously handwritten on it.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome to Amazon shipping!!! This is why I don't pre-order any LEs online that are also available in stores. At least places like NISA (and even IF and SE) know how to package stuff.

Yeah, I've been screwed by them a few times before. The only reason I went through them this time is because I used a gift card to pay for all of the Amiibos. Won't be making that mistake again though!

Oh god, Link's box.

Come on, Amazon.

Yeah :( . Link and Yoshi are the two that I wanted the most too. I'll just go to Walmart in the morning and see if I can find replacements...

Holy crap at the Link one. Isn't there anything you can tell Amazon about this? I mean the thing is freaking opened for crying out loud.

I don't know how I could prove that it came that way. I really wish I had done an unboxing video or something now so that I had proof that they looked like this when I opened the box.

It's pretty clean off the card, though. I wonder if the glue loosed? But still...

Yeah, that could be what happened. Doesn't look like the cardboard really tore anywhere on the backing except on the bottom:

yCazkcel.jpg

qFw9480l.jpg

SmokeMaxX

So immediately after opening my big box of Amiibos from Amazon, I went and cancelled my wave 2 and 3 preorders. I really want to have a sealed collection of Amiibos, but a good number of the Amiibos I received had boxes that are all fucked up:

Y5YoOBsl.jpg

2UaG4A7l.jpg

DRpe6mrl.jpg

zSDXJMMl.jpg

And the best one...

xFnZzp0l.jpg

I'm just going to try to buy them all from a brick and mortar store from now on.
Lol Amazon shipping strikes again.

I'm sorry but I have to ask: What are these even for? I mean I know you can scan them in and then you can train them...but to what end? What's the purpose of training them? Just a harder AI to fight against?

So you have to have an amiibo figurine to do the whole custom partner who levels to 50 or is it just a giant VMU for when you want to use it at a friend's house? I like the idea of an AI fighter to train, but I don't want to use a figureine every time I want to use it.

TI82

Banned
So you have to have an amiibo figurine to do the whole custom partner who levels to 50 or is it just a giant VMU for when you want to use it at a friend's house? I like the idea of an AI fighter to train, but I don't want to use a figureine every time I want to use it.

Gotta have the figure. The option is completely locked away without one.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered five from Amazon, three boxes were mangled, and oddly enough the packaging for the Link amiibo was in the EXACT same shape as yours. Moreover, there was a post-it note on Link's packaging with "F212" mysteriously handwritten on it.

Bah! Sorry to hear that man :( . I wonder what F212 is though, haha. There was nothing on mine at all.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I've been screwed by them a few times before. The only reason I went through them this time is because I used a gift card to pay for all of the Amiibos. Won't be making that mistake again though!

Yeah I was done when they wouldn't listen to my bubble wrap requests, and my SMTIV box came in squished :/ I was just... done.

Yeah, that could be what happened. Doesn't look like the cardboard really tore anywhere on the backing except on the bottom:

The bottom probably happened when they shoved it INTO the box >_> "This one looks open. Ah well, shipment fulfilled!"

(mat)

I'm sorry but I have to ask: What are these even for? I mean I know you can scan them in and then you can train them...but to what end? What's the purpose of training them? Just a harder AI to fight against?

"What are these for? I mean, I know you can scan them in and fight against them.. But what are these for?"

Gotta have the figure. The option is completely locked away without one.

Dang... And the amiibo is character specific too, right (DK amiibo must be used for DK custom) ? I just checked and all three characters I like to use it for (Shulk, Sonic, Toon Link) aren't until a much later wave.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think one has to remember that just for Smash getting them all comes to £480 (assuming no Miis). Then you have other games, Mario Party being a pretty safe bet, for other characters. So if you aim to get them all, prepare to invest quite a bit of money into them.

TI82

Banned
Dang... And the amiibo is character specific too, right (DK amiibo must be used for DK custom) ? I just checked and all three characters I like to use it for (Shulk, Sonic, Toon Link) aren't until a much later wave.

Yep. Those are part of the December or march wave, can't remember. Shulk is also GameStop exclusive.

steveovig

I was expecting short supply of these this morning but my TRU had plenty of all of them. I got Marth and Link but I want most of the others. I kinda want to just leave them packaged! I haven't even gotten a chance to try the game yet, let alone these but after I take I shower, I'm all in.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
To me they are on the same level as those popular bubble head things....totally irrelevant in my life and no reason for me personally to purchase.

SegaShack

Damn it, this is why I shouldn't browse GAF, now I want to buy these.

No, there is a foil sticker underneath the base that stops it from reading through the packaging like Skylanders and Infinity figs do/can.

Edit: Beaten...

There's actually a whole thread dedicated to the rage this practice induces in some GAF'ers. It doesn't bother me 'cuz I open all of my Skylander (and soon, amiibo) figures. I don't plan to try and defraud retailers.

Couldn't someone just scan a friends figure and unlock the same content on their console as well? Or is it tied to one user?

jeffers

What do you think are the chances theyll fix the globs to be clear down the line? trying to decide my 1 or 2 purchases for EU release next week.

I've got the nendoroid link, figma samus, the mini kirbys and the mcdonalds mario. So thinking of maybe getting Pikachu (fast char, no globs) as my first amiibo. what you think for a 2nd?

Okay got back from my local best buy around 2 hours ago. They had plenty of Amiibos left... unless you wanted Kirby or Link. I was lucky and grabbed the last Kirby and Link they had since I have friends who work there.
Seriously, I think each character had like 30 units but man the thirst for these things is crazy.
Did not think Kirby would be so popular, I suspected Link... but not my Pink Ball of Loveable Galaxy Eating Death Machine

jaydogg691

While waiting for my Smash to come from UPS I decided to take my Pikachu on an adventure.

Out of the box and first thing I did was give him a name.

So boss.

After being cooped up in the box, it was time for some fresh air.

Chu in his natural habitat.

We even met up with an old pal.

But then a wild box appeared.

It's finally here.

The homie Chu is geared up to whop some ass.

boxter432

Picked up a Link at Target despite not really liking his pose.
Only amiibo sold out was Kirby. One Marth and one samus left. Had 2 facings of link, Mario and peach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom