• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS Vita a 'legacy platform' outside of Japan and Asia

Pikma

Banned
So if you officially don't give a shit about it anymore why the fuck won't you cut the price of the memory cards?

inner-G

Banned
I think he just means that its success will leave a legacy behind, like the original PlayStation.

Almost like a legend. But real.

Chuy

Basically business as usual then? Doesn't matter as localizations continue

So, PSN support for VITA is going to end, too?

Serious question, I just got VITA a couple weeks back..
No basically it means no major support from sony. Just 3rd party/indies

Sad for those of us who like the Vita, but it doesn't mean the flow of indies and Japanese games coming to the system is going to slow down in the West, just that we're not going to see WWS doing anything big with it anymore. Which really isn't anything we hadn't already figured out.

RM8

It's been legacy for a while. But yeah, it highlights that Sony simply doesn't want to get involved with handhelds again.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Well yeah, Yoshida said so last year. But i guess having Andrew House say it has more impact.

I played like two games on it in the last year and half. I gave up on selling it too as i got no offers other than one or two dudes that wanted it for almost free. Nobody gives a fuck about it. In comparison, i sold my PS3 last month and had dozens of buyers interested, for a device that came out in 2007.

kgtrep

I feel sad that this likely marks the end of new Vita games. The system has had a lot of potential but Sony didn't market it too well for sure.

I know he was saying what a lot of us are thinking given how Sony has supported the platform in recent times but I appreciate the honesty. He was speaking at an investor meeting so he has to be honest to a degree about what Sony has in mind for the system's future.

I hope we still get localisations and this doesn't affect them too much. I need Digimon Cyber Sleuth.
I've enjoyed my Vita. Steins;Gate and Operation Abyss next week so the Vita isn't that dead to me. Not yet...

iosefe

well, color me disappointed.

at least as a legacy system, it does a damn fine job playing some legacy games

BumRush

Such an amazing machine too.

I guess my dream of getting PS6 type graphics on a handheld for my 50th birthday won't ever come true...

xJavonta

Banned
Could've been better with more support from Sony, no proprietary bullshit cards and if it didn't take a second revision to get mini-usb. Sony is at fault for this, not everyone that didn't buy one

I say this as someone who loves their white AssCreed Vita dearly. I'm just too poor to afford a 64gb vita memory card and the interface used is absolutely stupid. Also the games.THE GAMES. We needed more great games, Sony.

bobawesome

I'll continue to enjoy my indie and wacky third party games while everyone else laments the death of the Vita for the 3rd year in a row.

Namikaze

I'm really happy he came out and said this. Deep down, I needed some closure. LOL.

I think as long as niche stuff like Danganronpa etc. keep getting localized, I'll be good. Vita isn't even close to my primary system so a couple good localizations a year is more than enough for me, personally.

Suplexer

brb selling my Vita.

No but really, it was fun, really fun, while it lasted. Let's just remember the good times, like Gravity Rush, and Gravity Rush, and Gravity Rush and.... :C

boingball

And no successor announced? With the end of dedicated handhelds and PSM Sony seems to be betting all their money on PS Now for their share of mobile gaming. Which will never work, the games they stream need dedicated input devices and not touch controls of mobile phones.

daxy

Would have been cool to see a successor (or the Vita itself) developed with the kind of end-user & developer philosophy the PS4 was based on. I feel like the lack of demand is not simply the absence of a market, but also the inability of Sony to create demand as a result of numerous factors, not least of which the obstructive pricing model of memory and the marketing-driven idea that the Vita needs/will have graphics on par with traditional consoles, but neglecting the associated development costs that necessitate strong sales/extensive marketing. By effectively ostracizing mainstream mid-tier games and relying on a volatile model like this, it's no surprise that it became such a polarized platform in the development field -- anything new is either indie or caters to a small, but consistently supportive niche market. The most illustrative case is probably when Sony shat out stuff like PSABR and some other (decent) first-party content that was dead on arrival because they didn't care enough to tell anyone it was coming out.

Sony should have been upfront about giving zero fucks about the Vita's future, so at least everyone was on the same page and we wouldn't have seen good studios fall apart because they actually believed in the platform. What's equally unfortunate is that they kind of poisoned the well on handheld gaming in general. I think their Vita policies can only be described as 'impressively bad'.

Also, an OLED screen susceptible to burn-in on video game platform? Clever. Honestly, it all makes more sense if this was some kind of elaborate, evil ruse.

18-Volt

Nintendo 3DS struggles, Nintendo does its best to revive the platform by releasing tons of quality first party software.

PS Vita struggles, Sony does nothing.

Dynomutt

PSTV was a last ditch effort to make the "Vita" platform relevent.

However, it was also mismanaged and, even if it had been managed correctly, it was just a product that didn't really have a place.

Or to repurpose the Vita components. Explains why they never tried to apply to a TV UI and went half in.

Ponn

Banned
It was a legacy platform to Sony before it even came out. Sony can build a damn fine portable machine, they just have no clue how to support it. I would even go so far as to say all the other divisions in Sony probably hated their portables thats why they struggled with support for them.

So Gravity Rush 2 on PS4 confirmed then?

Fuck you Sony
And especially fuck you Yoshida

They killed the best handheld ever without even trying to save it.
At least NISA, XSEED, Tecmo Koei and Namco Bandai are still there.
Last time I ever buy a Sony console new.

Prelude.

Japanese games and localizations aren't going anywhere so it's not like anyone that cares about the platform cares about what House thinks about it.

Top Bottom