• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS Vita a 'legacy platform' outside of Japan and Asia

phanphare

Banned
"what's a Vita?"

"the Vita's dead baby, the Vita's dead"

pulpfiction00001.png

cyba89

I will still play through Danganronpa 2 on my Vita and then I might sell it.
Don't have any interest in keeping this system just for indie games I can also play on PS4 or PC.

Circinus

Awesome, this might mean lots of PS Vita games will get cheap on the PS Store. ^.^

What an amazing legacy this system will have. :p

SCE really did an amazing job with this device. Shame, it didn't have much mainstream / mass-market appeal, but oh well to me it's definitely a very valuable device that I enjoy almost every day. =)

RM8

I'm curious about the future of handhelds. We're definitely getting a new one from Nintendo, but even then we don't know if it'll be a traditional handheld. Then we'll probably see super niche stuff like the Shield... and that's it.

Foffy

Banned
Guess we're gonna have to hope for fans to translate Japan-only games. Just like on PSP....ugh.

Goodbye, God Eater 2, Rise of Mana, SaGa 2015, Phantasy Star Nova, and countless other games given the bullet.

Japanese games and localizations aren't going anywhere so it's not like anyone that cares about the platform cares about what House thinks about it.

This. Most of us have realised that AAA efforts on the console are dead, but I'm happy with it being a localisation/indie machine. I'm nowhere near done with mine yet.

Ogawa-san

A portable with two analog sticks to allow non-spider people to play comfortably, a screen with higher resolution than a scientific calculator's and specs compatible to a 21st century device - aka. that don't make you wonder if it still use vacuum tubes.

It really didn't stand a chance.

VanWinkle

They haven't put any real commitment into it for years. Absolute shame, too. The minute they saw bad sales, they gave up on it.

18-Volt

Guess we're gonna have to hope for fans to translate Japan-only games. Just like on PSP....ugh.

Goodbye, God Eater 2, Rise of Mana, SaGa 2015, Phantasy Star Nova, and countless other games given the bullet.

God Eater 2 has also been released for PS4. It has high chance to be localized.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I will cherish the legacy.
I think a lot of us will. Vita will go down in history as the greatest failed platform of all time, and I think we'll be looking back on the thing very fondly and condemning this terrible generation for not buying it. Vita is one of a kind. And the cool thing about Vita is that even when the system basically died and even Sony stopped supporting it, it somehow still got a fuck ton of great games for years! That's something that cant be said for systems like Dreamcast. Vita's legacy will be that it was the most alive dead system ever.

Dangan Ronpa 1/2 are really great, Persona 4G is amazing as well. Shame to hear them say this. This is like the 2nd or 3rd time?
So maybe the rumblings about a price drop are true.
If they aren't interested in supporting he platform I don't see them pricing at a point were making money off of it is very unlikely

Shahed

Well there's not too much going forward that I'd buy on it. Ys 8 I'll get on PS4 just like anything else with a PS4 version. I'd typically get all the games with PS3 versions there as well but I've got rid of mine so Stein's Gate and the like will be bought on Vita. I wonder what else there even is for me to buy? If it's not an RPG/Visual Novel from Japan, i'm likely not to care about it.

Sesto

Banned
on paper we can't blame Sony for the Vita support
in the first year they assecured titles from the biggest franchises (CoD, AC, Need for Speed) regardless how they turned out.
On top of that they released some first party titles with a decent budget (Uncharted, GR, KZ). It's just the Vita's didn't sell.

The only thing Sony missed imo is they had to release titles of their biggest IP (Gran Turismo, GoW, another Uncharted). You can be sure a gran turismo moves hardware, unlike a Killzone...

My only hope is SE releases FFXII HD on the Vita and I would be more than happy with my portable RPG machine

Sophia

They haven't put any real commitment into it for years. Absolute shame, too. The minute they saw bad sales, they gave up on it.

Yup. It's baffling as to why they decided to just drop all major first party support for the system after their initial set of heavy hitters (Uncharted/Killzone/Gravity Rush/etc) failed. It would have been more logical to find out why they weren't as successful as they should have been and adjusted their strategy accordingly.

What's the price right now? I can't imagine it being too high right now.

I think it's $199 for the Borderlands combo? Mind you, it only comes with an 8GB memory card. Which is serviceable for the casual user, but anyone interested in more hardcore digital distribution or gaming will likely want something better.

Iacobellis

I feel like this was Sony's plan all along. Why else would they have released just about all of their major first party franchises in the first year?

Foffy

Banned
God Eater 2 has also been released for PS4. It has high chance to be localized.

I'd hope. Namco has actually...been on a role. Last generation they were fat fucking garbage with localizing games. The fact Project X Zone 2 was outed at a non-Japanese event is telling.

I do worry about Square's games, personally. Sega's a non-starter, considering the mess PSO2's been for an English release, so Nova is fucked. I am getting tired of hoping for fucking hacks to platforms, which open piracy, to play games in English. If the game is from a major Japanese publisher, they might as well not bother given the situation of Vita, which is what they've already been doing anyway...

Tapejara

Japanese games and localizations aren't going anywhere so it's not like anyone that cares about the platform cares about what House thinks about it.

It's disingenuous to suggest that only people who care about the Vita will disregard Houses' statement, especially when the longevity of the platform is also put into question when Sony brands it as a "Legacy System." How long before the game servers are shut down? How long until the Store no longer functions? By 2017 will I still be able to play EDF 2017 and Killzone: Mercenary online?

Edit: I've got to stop getting riled up over Sony and Vita.

koutoru

It may be legacy to Sony, but as long as it keeps getting support from indies and Japan it'll carve out a living.
At least until Sony stops manufacturing it.

SmokyDave

Yup. It's baffling as to why they decided to just drop all major first party support for the system after their initial set of heavy hitters (Uncharted/Killzone/Gravity Rush/etc) failed. It would have been more logical to find out why they weren't as successful as they should have been and adjusted their strategy accordingly.
They weren't successful because the only people left buying dedicated handhelds are parents of toddlers and Nintendo fans. Nothing would've saved the Vita, especially not more expensive games that most people would rather play on a console.

Those of us that loved it, loved it. We are few in number though, and well outside of any viable mainstream market.

Circinus

So gravity rush 2 on ps4 for sure?

Yep probably, but I think there's a decent chance it will be cross-platform between PS Vita and PS4. It's also an SCE Japan Studio game after all, and PS Vita is still somewhat important in the Japanese market for SCE Japan.

So, PSN support for VITA is going to end, too?

Serious question, I just got VITA a couple weeks back..

No. PSN support for PSP only ended this year. (but you can still download PSP games from download list and purchase PSP games from PSN Web Store)

Expect PSN functionality to last still at least 3 years for PS Vita. Maybe the PS+ program for PS Vita will be discontinued in a couple of years, but definitely not the whole PSN network.

Been meaning to pick up a Vita. I'll see what the price looks like in the Fall and scoop it up then.

Strongly recommended for any portable gaming enthusiast imho.

Why did they even waste time on PSTV?

I guess they thought it might be worth pursuing that niche audience with minimal investment. A very niche device (pointless to most people) without proper TV/VoD support imho.

The best handheld, in theory.

Horribly handled by Sony.

Vita, you were too good for this world.

Remind me never to buy a handheld by Sony

Could've been better with more support from Sony, no proprietary bullshit cards and if it didn't take a second revision to get mini-usb. Sony is at fault for this, not everyone that didn't buy one

I say this as someone who loves their white AssCreed Vita dearly. I'm just too poor to afford a 64gb vita memory card and the interface used is absolutely stupid. Also the games.THE GAMES. We needed more great games, Sony.

pretty much an accessory for the PS4 at this point

Nintendo 3DS struggles, Nintendo does its best to revive the platform by releasing tons of quality first party software.

PS Vita struggles, Sony does nothing.

Stay salty. ;)

To each their own of course. ^.^

This is the quote that the article is using.
House also cast a dim view of the company's handheld business. While he noted that the Vita platform remains "strong and vibrant" in Asia and Japan, his outlook for the current fiscal year included declines in the US and Europe. Additionally, he referred to the PlayStation Vita and its microconsole counterpart the PlayStation TV as "legacy platforms" when discussing a write-off of hardware components for the two.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-05-27-sony-admits-first-party-lineup-a-little-sparse/

House doesn't say that 2nd quoted text in the OP, that's the author's interpretation.

So gravity rush 2 on ps4 for sure?

That, or it's canceled.

It would be neat to see a port of Gravity Rush 1 on PS4 to coincide with a hypothetical release of GR2 on the same platform.

Nintendo 3DS struggles, Nintendo does its best to revive the platform by releasing tons of quality first party software.

PS Vita struggles, Sony does nothing.

It was Nintendo's "do or die" moment. If they navel-gazed at that point the failure would've been so big as to actually threaten their entire business.

Vita failing isn't Sony's "do or die" moment, nor do they have the resources to pour money they don't have to a handheld platform they know has lost all appeal in light of the competition (mainly mobile games).

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
We noticed Andy. The whole 'not promoting it or making games for it' part sort of gave it away.

I'm moving on to the Nvidia Shield ;)
Nvidia Shield? Ew. I'm holding out for the Steamboy.

But bey I don't need anything other than Vita for a while anyway. The indies keep coming plus there's remote play and PS Now.

Takao

Banned
This has been abundantly clear for a long time now.

I buy handhelds knowing full well that they're probably not going to get decent western support. As long as Vita has stuff on the way I'll be okay until Nintendo's next handheld or something.

I'd be surprised if we had a Sony MSRP drop, but I would definitely keep my eye out for retailer-specific fire sales at some point in the near future.

SmokyDave

Nvidia Shield? Ew. I'm holding out for the Steamboy.

But bey I don't need anything other than Vita for a while anyway. The indies keep coming plus there's remote play and PS Now.
I've been itching to buy a Shield for a while and I just upgraded my PC. It's time.

My Vita ain't going anywhere though. It's still my favourite handheld and my backlog is fucking huge.

-Horizon-

I think it's $199 for the Borderlands combo? Mind you, it only comes with an 8GB memory card. Which is serviceable for the casual user, but anyone interested in more hardcore digital distribution or gaming will likely want something better.
Ugh there should a memory card price drop instead :[

$169.99. Rumors about a drop to $89.99
Even lower than a 3DS? That'd be crazy :O

Top Bottom