• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS Vita a 'legacy platform' outside of Japan and Asia

Chariot

eKP9H0M.gif

She trusted you Sony. She trusted you GAF.
Why did you let her die?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I bought my Vita three years ago to play PS1 classics and Japanese Games on Dat OLED I honestly didn't expect or want anything else from it. Sony Delivers!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Japanese games and localizations aren't going anywhere so it's not like anyone that cares about the platform cares about what House thinks about it.
Yep, still looking forward to play it for years to come.

Yaari

Meh. Whatever. As long as I get the fun games that I had on my Vita, now made for PS4 instead, its fine with me.

Still a waste of a great device. I loved the specs. The Vita 2000 especially feels great.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Goodnight sweet prince

I still need to play Soul Sacrifice Delta and Freedom Wars

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Way to be late for the confirmation party, Andy.

family_guy said:
Prices will probably go up since they'll probably quit restocking them.

Good thing I've stopped buying games for the platform back when Disgaea 4 hit, then.

I'm still looking for FFX/X-2 to get the X-2 digital code to play.

/Still waiting for Disgaea D2 Portable and FF:XII:I:ZJS HD portable and then the system can die in a ditch. Otherwise it's dead and buried until those hit to me.

http://gamingtrend.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/gsm_169_walkingdead_vita_launch_ot_081913_640x360-620x347.jpg
http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/image/data/1150032/The-Walking-Dead-Vita.jpg

lol Ironically enough that runs fucking horrible on the system. Skipped lines/stuttering performance.

Prezhulio

I do wonder what they'll do with ps+ for vita and PS3 eventually. They've got to stop at some point but the way the handle the announcement will probably lead to meltdowns of the likes I've never seen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think a lot of us will. Vita will go down in history as the greatest failed platform of all time, and I think we'll be looking back on the thing very fondly and condemning this terrible generation for not buying it. Vita is one of a kind. And the cool thing about Vita is that even when the system basically died and even Sony stopped supporting it, it somehow still got a fuck ton of great games for years! That's something that cant be said for systems like Dreamcast. Vita's legacy will be that it was the most alive dead system ever.
Nope, won't even get that honor because of Wii U.

Circinus

We noticed Andy. The whole 'not promoting it or making games for it' part sort of gave it away.

I'm moving on to the Nvidia Shield ;)

Interesting choice.

Android phone/tablet based handheld solutions are definitely going to be future for mobile/handheld gaming.

Physical handheld controls are going to converge with mobile/tablet gaming.

I think the next Nintendo handheld will perform worse than PS Vita commercially. Especially if they don't shake-up their approach to handheld gaming as a whole, but make a traditional successor to 3DS.

Its interesting seeing Nintendo and how they handled the Wii U and comparing it to Sony and the Vita. Both have sold roughly the same amount in almost the same timeframe, yet Nintendo is the only one supporting the Wii U. Sony on the other hand said "screw it, we tried, we made games from big franchises and they didnt get an audience and this isnt selling as well as the PSP so lets not bother." Then again, while a portable Call of Duty could have done well and maybe swung some sales, it being a shit game followed up with a shitty game in the Resistance franchise definitely hurt the system. Hell, Modnation Racers was a shell of the console game.

I mean really, Sony could have supported the device more before making it an afterthought everywhere. Where is a Patapon sequel or even a qHD collection? Where was a Vita God of War or Gran Turismo? Definitely shot themselves in the foot not lassoing that Monster Hunter exclusivity.

/KevinSorboDisappointed

The Vita isn't allowed to actually die until there are literally no games coming out for it

Last time I checked I still need to play the new Ys game, and Danganronpa 3. So fuck it. You're gonna have to force your way to get this rotting corpse of a console off my hands

Vashetti

Banned
Very sad to hear this but the writing has been on the wall for over a year.

I'll have to pick up a Slim model on the cheap to replace my OLED at some point.

I guess this also confirms no 3000 model too.

Kriken

Well... at least the games it has are really good

Being able to play SoTN before I go to sleep has been great to say the least

RK128

So this means that similar to the PS2, games will still come from 3rd party developers and it will still be sold in stores, but Sony internally as developers and publishers are 'done' with the console? If that is the case....didn't we all know this :(?

Sony not announcing any new software for the Vita at both Gamescom and TGS from their internal studios really hits home that they are done making new games for the system; they will let other developers/publishers take over for software.

Does this mean that their port of Revelations 2 is the official 'last' Sony developed game for the Vita? If so, at least we are getting a fun action tittle for the Vita from them :l.

....I love my Vita, and I own over 230 games for the system across everything (PSN, Retail software, physical tittles, PS1 games, PSP games, ect), so I feel that the Vita was well worth getting back in 2013 :).

kewlmyc

If DanganRonpa 3 is released on PS4 or Steam (the developer seems interested in Steam) alongside the Vita release, then I'll won't have a reason to touch my Vita again, sadly.

Yup. It's baffling as to why they decided to just drop all major first party support for the system after their initial set of heavy hitters (Uncharted/Killzone/Gravity Rush/etc) failed. It would have been more logical to find out why they weren't as successful as they should have been and adjusted their strategy accordingly.

Well, Sony's in pretty dire straits right now financially. Not only can they not actively support every single one of their devices for several years, they're also likely looking for things to kill.

The Vita isn't going to make Sony any money. The 3DS is basically the only go-to handheld for people who actually care about having dedicated portable gaming hardware. Everyone else can (and does) stick with mobile, hardware they probably already own and carry around everywhere.

They can't do anything to make the Vita anything other than a super-niche platform without pouring a tremendous amount of money into it, and even then there's no guarantee people will listen.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
What? Oh hell no. Doesn't have tbe indie support of Vita to keep up the kind of impressive lineup of games once Nintendo drops support. It's a worse version of tge Gamecube since at least GC had something resembling third party support in its life. Also the first party lineup of Vita was fantastic wben Sony were supporting it so Wii U isn't even abead there imo. Ninty made gamea for longer, but Sony certainly left their mark in those first two years.

I love Vita so much I made this post on Vita.

I'd also say this basically seals the deal that there won't be a successor.

I don't think we will get a successor per se, but if the adoption rate of remote play drops off with the end of the Vita, as in no longer supports remote play so perhaps on PS5. I could see them perhaps making a cheaper dedicated device for it, think Vita TV but handheld and streaming only functionality, be it through a console or PSNow.

Though this would require the Remote Play users to be a high enough headcount though and I haven't got a clue what the adoption rate is like. It would also require the adoption rate of Remote Play on Sony phones and tablets to a lot lower than it is on the Vita too. And arguably Sony would have a lot more success just unlocking access to the feature on all/most phone and tablets brands instead.

With some decent adoption statistics among the owners and a short sighted attempt to keep software locked to their own devices I could see them making some form of bare bones successor perhaps, but I'd prefer they just unlock functionality to other devices and not depend on selling their mobile hardware to access it.

As a platform on it's own merits Vita has been largely dead for a long time anyway so they may as well focus on what good they can carry forward from it.

I'm fine with Sony not making any new Vita games, because that's been the case for years. But I am worried they'll stop publishing, which makes a lot of indie games possible.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I agree. It makes the system a lot more expensive than what it should be. But if it really drops to $100 at least the memory cards won't be as much of an issue anymore.

I think the memory card prices did a lot more damage than anything, really. $249 on top of the price of the card itself.

Great system, but Sony gonna Sony with their proprietary BS.

It should have just been a regular MircoSD and it might have done a bit better.

Sure, more support would have helped too.

Ridley327

Its interesting seeing Nintendo and how they handled the Wii U and comparing it to Sony and the Vita. Both have sold roughly the same amount in almost the same timeframe, yet Nintendo is the only one supporting the Wii U. Sony on the other hand said "screw it, we tried, we made games from big franchises and they didnt get an audience and this isnt selling as well as the PSP so lets not bother." Then again, while a portable Call of Duty could have done well and maybe swung some sales, it being a shit game followed up with a shitty game in the Resistance franchise definitely hurt the system. Hell, Modnation Racers was a shell of the console game.

I mean really, Sony could have supported the device more before making it an afterthought everywhere. Where is a Patapon sequel or even a qHD collection? Where was a Vita God of War or Gran Turismo? Definitely shot themselves in the foot not lassoing that Monster Hunter exclusivity.

/KevinSorboDisappointed

I feel like they expected a level of support simply because they solved so many of the obvious hardware issues that the PSP had in attracting western support, but when it came out that Sony more or less licensed CoD from Activision rather than it being a project that originated from Activision, the writing was on the wall then and there. It also didn't help that this was the one time that the autonomy of the regional Sony offices really bit them on the ass, because SCEA never believed in the system at all. It's not doing great in Japan, but it at least has a following and software does relatively OK.

And even that is being tempered with the surge of Vita->PS4 ports, which is driving western audiences even further away from having the thought of considering a Vita even more.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
If DanganRonpa 3 is released on PS4 or Steam (the developer seems interested in Steam) alongside the Vita release, then I'll won't have a reason to touch my Vita again, sadly.

Yeah, the only reason i'd play it again would be for a Danganronpa sequel, or Zero Escape 3. But by that time, i might have just found someone to buy mine or something and won't have it anymore.

br3wnor

I'll continue to enjoy my indie and wacky third party games while everyone else laments the death of the Vita for the 3rd year in a row.

Word. I play mainly indie and ps1 games or remasters on my Vita and I still have a huge backlog. One of my favorite systems even though it's been "abandoned"

Edzi

So, just to be totally clear... This means for sure that there will be no new Vita models (outside of Japan at least)? I've held off on buying one because I was scared they might announce something like that during e3, but if this means there's no chance of that I'll just buy one next time there's a sale.

Circinus

Such a big damn waste. Loved both my vitas...

/KevinSorboDisappointed

Stay salty. ;) (okay, I can someone understand the disappointment, but it isn't like there's a good alternative to a great handheld. PS Vita is still largely unrivaled imho)

I do wonder what they'll do with ps+ for vita and PS3 eventually. They've got to stop at some point but the way the handle the announcement will probably lead to meltdowns of the likes I've never seen.

Good question. They're going to have to announce that they're going to discontinue PS+ for PS3 and PS Vita. It will be interesting to see how they handle that in terms of PR. I mean, if it's like in 2017, probably not many people will care about PS3 and PS Vita at that point, so they might not face too much backlash. They definitely will face it to some degree.

I've been itching to buy a Shield for a while and I just upgraded my PC. It's time.

My Vita ain't going anywhere though. It's still my favourite handheld and my backlog is fucking huge.

You know what's up! ^.^

I think the memory card prices did a lot more damage than anything, really. $249 on top of the price of the card itself.

Great system, but Sony gonna Sony with their proprietary BS.

It should have just been a regular MircoSD and it might have done a bit better.

Sure, more support would have helped too.

It was all really connected. When the 3DS initially bombed at $249, Sony should have seriously known that their system at that price point PLUS additional fees wasn't going to do it... especially since they were trying to push the platform as digitally as possible.

nikos

So sad to read this. The Vita is the best handheld ever made, IMO. Hopefully we continue to see good import support.

AdamMPSP

year... of... the... vita?

Really too bad. I love my Vita and would love to see it get as much support for as long as it can.

The WiiU may have more very great games but the Vita has way more great games and variety.

The library aren't in the same league in my opinion, almost all genres are covered with great games on Vita.

My favorite gaming system alongside the PS2.

Zhao_Yun

As long as all those Japanese games keep getting localized (and there are no signs that they won't), this changes nothing for me.

Just bought one a week and a half ago, wooo!

:(

Doesn't matter though, there are a lot of great games on it that will keep me busy with it for a long time, plenty of good games coming out on it still. Don't need Uncharted and Killzones, but I do hope it doesn't lose western 3rd party support completely from larger devs. Something like AC Chronicles China should be on the vita, really no excuses as to why it's not.

Above all else, Remote play makes it more than worth it to be honest.

I love this machine, Sony just needs to bundle it with the PS4 as a remote play bundle, then it will get the support it deserves.

Tagyhag

It's a shame.

Great system with tons of potential that was never fully realized.

I'm glad I sold it when I did though.

Dugna

Guess this confirms atleast, that the LE P4D Vita definitely for sure isn't comming over to the US. Time to round up some cash to buy it then.

Also pubs like NISA/Aksys/Arc/Namco Bandai are loving this thing, SEGA likes it also with the sales it got from Project Diva and such.

UberTag

Best handheld ever with the most incompetent support ever.
I've bought three of the little things and love it to pieces.

Top Bottom