• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS4 sold through 2.1 million units worldwide as of 12/1, 700K in EU/AU

terrier

The official press release is out.

The number for the euro launch is 700k. So 1.4m in NA between launch and month end.

I know it will surprise some, but I figured they wouldn't have the same stock for Europe as NA.

700 for euro launch including UK? Wow, sony is targeting XB countries for sure then. I guess they know the rest of europe favours them, but they'd better not take this for granted

The number for the euro launch is 700k. So 1.4m in NA between launch and month end.

I know it will surprise some, but I figured they wouldn't have the same stock for Europe as NA.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/131203b_e.pdf

Tokyo, December 3, 2013 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that cumulative sell through for the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system worldwide has surpassed 2.1 million units*1 as of December 1, 2013. The number includes the 700,000 units sold through in Europe and Australasia launching on November 29. The PS4 system became available on November 15 in the United States and Canada and on November 29 in Europe, Australasia and Latin America and is now available in 32 countries globally.

“PS4 delivered the best launch in PlayStation history with the North American release and we’ve continued this incredibly successful start in Europe, Australasia and Latin America,” said Andrew House, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “Demand remains incredibly strong and continues to overwhelm the supply worldwide, but we are diligently working to meet those growing demands and to deliver additional PS4 units to our retail partners throughout the holiday season. We are extremely grateful for the passion of PlayStation fans and thank them for their continued support.”

PS4 consumers embraced the deep social capabilities offered by the PS4 system, including heavy use of live broadcasting on Ustream and Twitch and sharing content through Facebook® and Twitter. PS4 gamers have demonstrated particular interest in the new “SHARE” button on the DUALSHOCK®4 Wireless Controller, with more than 6.5 million shares captured.

Looking ahead, the PS4 system will evolve through PlayStation’s cloud gaming services, available in the U.S. in 2014. Based on Gaikai Inc.’s cloud-based technology, the service will enable users to have access to a catalog of critically acclaimed PlayStation®3 (PS3™) games on PlayStation 4 and PS3, followed by PlayStation®Vita.

*1 Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI.

Addnan

They say demand is overwhelming supply.

They just flooded half the stock in the UK, leaving everyone else to fight didn't they.

allan-bh

Based on the infoscout report? If so, the report only accounts for ~1,500 receipts that had either a console and/or game sale on it.

We had several reports about the Xbox One be more available in US on Black Friday, so I think is plausible that XOne outsold PS4 in this period.

Sakura

Seems like 1 million for each region. Think Japan alone will move that many units?

If both Asia and Japan sell 1 million on their launch then it'll pretty much hit Sony's projection for the quarter.

1 million in Japan alone at launch? No way. It's 2.5 times smaller than the US, there is no way it's going to do a million. I expect 300k~400k.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/131203b_e.pdf

"Tokyo, December 3, 2013 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that cumulative sell through for the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system worldwide has surpassed 2.1 million units*1 as of December 1, 2013. The number includes the 700,000 units sold through in Europe and Australasia launching on November 29. The PS4 system became available on November 15 in the United States and Canada and on November 29 in Europe, Australasia and Latin America and is now available in 32 countries globally.

Damn. So that means they sold 400,000 during Black Friday week/weekend in North America?

EDIT: Ahh. Latin America.

RAD have yet to make a bad game, I think The Order is in good hands.

It's still an unknown for the reason I stated. It will look great, no doubts there. That's where the certainty ends. Every single game they've made has been either hugely based on another studio's game design and IP or has been a remake.

Also, why do you think an Uncharted release is unlikely? It had three years in the oven by the end of next year and Sony wants a big exclusive to counter Halo.

I shouldn't have said "very" unlikely, but it's unlikely. Making a tight deadline like next holiday would result in lowered quality as in Uncharted 3, and I am pretty sure they don't want that again. And yes, next holiday is a tight deadline. Time including before PS4 was even nailed down + resources taken by TLoU =/= Uncharted 4 time.

terrier

If 250k were sold in UK, that means only 450k units for sonyland, i mean euroland. Well, i guess here christmas is more important than black friday, i hope sony doesn't fall short with europe's (and other countries) demand

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, this means NA accounted for 400,000 units sold during the last two weeks.

EDIT: If Latin America is included, then it's < 400,000 in the last two weeks.

So, due to supply constrains I'm assuming, is it impossible for ps4 to hit 3.5 to 4 mil by years end? Cause that would be some crazy shit.

Striek

Obviously the number is fantastic, but I must admit I'm underwhelmed nonetheless. I thought supply would be more plentiful given the NA launch, at least a million for EU to match. Obviously demand is there for it. The PS4 is insanely undersupplied out here in Australia.

I wonder what proportion of sales are being lost due to low supplies + decent XBOne supplies vs. what proportion are merely postponed.

allan-bh

Doesn't mean that the PS4 sold poorly even if that's the case.

I said that considering about 1 million for Europe+Australia. That left only ~100k for North America.

Now we know that sold 700k with leaves more sales for US than I thought

slapnuts

Where has Xbox One yet to release yet? Or have they released world wide in all territories including Asia, Australia, Germany, England,etc,etc

Just wondering because i have not really kept up on the Xbox One launch that much.

I must say i am very impressed with the PS4 numbers considering they have not even launched in their home country!! If MS has already shipped in world wide including Japan,etc (not that Xbox sells well in Japan)...all i can say is wow! Sony has really got something special going on with PS4, history in the making!!

EU had much lower numbers than i thought and UK got about one third of them .
Sony really are going after the markets that help MS this gen UK\US .

UNCMark

Banned
Where has Xbox One yet to release yet? Or have they released world wide in all territories including Asia, Australia, Germany, England,etc,etc

Just wondering because i have not really kept up on the Xbox One launch that much.

I must say i am very impressed with the PS4 numbers considering they have not even launched in their home country!! If MS has already shipped in world wide including Japan,etc (not that Xbox sells well in Japan)...all i can say is wow! Sony has really got something special going on with PS4, history in the making!!

Same regions as Sony, but fewer countries in Europe.

Looking ahead, the PS4 system will evolve through PlayStation&#8217;s cloud gaming services,
available in the U.S. in 2014. Based on Gaikai Inc.&#8217;s cloud-based technology, the service will
enable users to have access to a catalog of critically acclaimed PlayStation®3 (PS3&#8482;) games on
PlayStation 4 and PS3, followed by PlayStation®Vita

Wait a minute... Gaikai can do PS3 games on Vita?

Mind fucking blown!

KoopaTheCasual

http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/131203b_e.pdf

They say demand is overwhelming supply.

So you're telling me Sony flooded the NA market with the lionshare of the consoles, and it's STILL crazy supply constrained in the states? Lawd.

Rhindle

These numbers seem weird. They shipped more than 1/3 of the Euro stock to the UK and only 450K units for all of continental Europe?

Ishan

and i still havent brought mine ... (us person for a few years so i fucked up on not preordering and there is no chance im getting one anytime soon)

dr_rus

PS4 launched 2 days ago in EU.
I know, I live here. 2,1M worldwide today means that Europe had less than 1M sold through on launch day.
As hard as it is to find a PS4 in NA right now they're still restocking and selling which in plus to "more than 1M" units sold on launch there means than it leaves less than 1M units sold in Europe on launch day.
So, basically, Europe is behind NA in terms of first 24h PS4 sales.
This may be due to European supply being lower though. Sony may intentionally direct more PS4 to US market because this is where the real battle is happening.

Sid

I said that considering about 1 million for Europe+Australia. That left only ~100k for North America.

Now we know that sold 700k with leaves more sales for US than I thought
We don't know how much they shipped in NA and EU+AU.

Billen

Banned
Great. I hope both consoles go completely completely fucking crazy so we can stop hearing about tablet free2play social shitcaverns for fifteen seconds. This is great news.

Truer words are rarely spoken. In a world where many developers go for mobile/touch gaming, I see the successful launches of the Xbox One and PS4 as a truly great sign of things to come. Bring on the games!

In 1080P, please.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Only 700k for the Eurozone. That's a shame. No wonder you can't find any at the shops.

How much did it sell after day one?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you don't happen to have any consoles to sell, you're going to sell zero. Sony can't sell what they don't have.

Meanwhile over at Gamestop.com there's a huge banner on the front page saying "XBOX ONE IN STOCK NOW".

Top Bottom