• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS4 sold through 2.1 million units worldwide as of 12/1, 700K in EU/AU

Gxgear

Seems like 1 million for each region. Think Japan alone will move that many units?

If both Asia and Japan sell 1 million on their launch then it'll pretty much hit Sony's projection for the quarter.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The demand for PS4 is incredible, provided they had supply they could realistically have hit 5M by year end.

It's well deserved naturally. The key factors giving the sales edge to PS4 in relation to Xbox One:

- Crystal clear positioning, 'the most powerful new generation console'
- Sharply defined target group, 'this is for the gamers'
- Hitting price sweet spot at $399 / £349
- Amazing year of exclusives immediately ahead - Destiny Beta, DriveClub, Infamous, 1886, possibly even Uncharted
- Excellent hardware design and innovative service design (PS+ free games)
- Truly global launch

Hard to find much fault in the plan and execution.

Fantastic result.
This should also mean that, given UK's debut and its relevance for the whole European market, sell through for the entire Europe should be 1 million / 900k. Leaving, then, around 100-200k sold in NA during the two weeks after the launch. PS4 IS severly supply costrained in US, as I've read almost everywhere, right? :p

It is. With this 2.1 million sell-through figure announced, I expect around 900K - 1 million for Europe / PAL as well.

For some reason I think the x1 is going to drop like a rock after the holidays, Im just not seeing the demand, PS4 seems like its got some momentum though, but its not going to save the decline in console sales. We will see what happens though

This is the best I can come up with for now (read notes below):
VOyMPpi.jpg

It's admittedly not the best comparison.

Caveats/notes:
All consoles except PS4 are for November + December of respective launch year. PS4 is just through December 1st.
PS4 is for every territory launched through 1st December.
PS3 is for Japan and US only.
Xbox 360 and Wii's European sales are for UK, Germany and France only. And NA sales don't include Canada.
Wii U's European sales are for UK, FR, GE, SP, IT, NE, BE only. And NA sales don't include Canada.

It's a damned good attempt anyway. Finding accurate numbers for a specific window is damned hard, hence why I asked someone else to do it :p

Looks like PS4 is off the to a good start anyway.

It's a damned good attempt anyway. Finding accurate numbers for a specific window is damned hard, hence why I asked someone else to do it :p

Looks like PS4 is off the to a good start anyway.
Just NB, I initially in error forgot to add in the 360's Japanese numbers, so the image has been updated.

allan-bh

Spetacular, but apparently PS4 sales after launch in US are very poor.

NPD november may surprise because XOne was more available on Black Friday.

Great. I hope both consoles go completely completely fucking crazy so we can stop hearing about tablet free2play social shitcaverns for fifteen seconds. This is great news.

wapplew

Hong Kong
Indonesia
Korea
Malaysia
Singapore
Taiwan
Thailand

How many more PS4 will be sold there in December do you think?
500k maybe?

Depend on how many unit available. Mainland China gonna import from HK, I think the demand is quite high.

- Amazing year of exclusives immediately ahead - Destiny Beta, DriveClub, Infamous, 1886, possibly even Uncharted

Much as I enjoy Sony's work, you are getting WAY ahead of events.

- Destiny Beta: Destiny is an unknown due to its ambitious nature, and it's a BETA... a demo at best, not a noteworthy system-selling exclusive.

- DriveClub: It's an unknown. Could really go either way in terms of quality, and even given it hits the mark there could be a sales non-event.

- inFamous: The series has yet to hit it out of the park in terms of quality or sales.

- 1886: Complete unknown. A shooter from the makers of God of War and Daxter games on PSP? Technically it's going to great... gameplay-wise, complete unknown.

- Uncharted: Very unlikely.

Sony's upcoming year is not looking that good in terms of software... yet.

strata8

Microsoft physically can not produce more than Sony due to die size.

Judging from all the reports of yield issues on that monster SoC, probably both.

Or the rumoured yield issues? they aint shipped a whole lot or if they have europe aint buying.

The yield issues rumours were a bunch of crap and disproven as soon as the consoles were opened up - the difference in die size between the PS4 and XB1 is a measly 4%.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
lol what ?

Simple math, read my post from earlier

Fantastic result.
This should also mean that, given UK's debut and its relevance for the whole European market, sell through for the entire Europe should be 1 million / 900k. Leaving, then, around 100-200k sold in NA during the two weeks after the launch. PS4 IS severly supply costrained in US, as I've read almost everywhere, right? :p

Spetacular, but apparently PS4 sales after launch in US are very.

Because it's hard to find one.

Anyway, great result. Now tease some of your exclusives to us, Sony. Throw us a bone.

Much as I enjoy Sony's work, you are getting WAY ahead of events.

- Destiny Beta: Destiny is an unknown due to its ambitious nature, and it's a BETA... a demo at best, not a noteworthy system-selling exclusive.

- DriveClub: It's an unknown. Could really go either way in terms of quality, and even given it hits the mark there could be a sales non-event.

- inFamous: The series has yet to hit it out of the park in terms of quality or sales.

- 1886: Complete unknown. A shooter from the makers of God of War and Daxter games on PSP? Technically it's going to great... gameplay-wise, complete unknown.

- Uncharted: Very unlikely.

Sony's upcoming year is not looking that good in terms of software... yet.

RAD have yet to make a bad game, I think The Order is in good hands. Also, why do you think an Uncharted release is unlikely? It had three years in the oven by the end of next year and Sony wants a big exclusive to counter Halo.

Salex_

I don't want the x1 to bomb because they'll get desperate and moneyhat even more third party exclusives.

How could they do that? If the install base is huge for the PS4, how can they give up so much money to make 3rd party exclusives/not for Sony platforms? I don't think Microsoft will waste millions on the Xbox Division to keep that up. If they clearly lose in sales that means MS can't rely on Halo and multiplats. They have to keep the exclusives rolling like the launch period and the current 2014 lineup.

Remember when MS didn't have to worry about sales? Take a look at the last 3-4 years of the 360 exclusives.

dr_rus

So Europe is actually behind NA on the launch sell through. So much for US being Xboxland. I guess the dollar/euro price "parity" does make a difference.

Margalis

Banned
For some reason I think the x1 is going to drop like a rock after the holidays, Im just not seeing the demand, PS4 seems like its got some momentum though, but its not going to save the decline in console sales. We will see what happens though

You would expect sales of both the PS4 and XB1 to be very front-loaded. So the fact that XB1 doesn't appear to be totally sold out should be worrying to MS.

Looking at ebay PS4 is selling for as much or more than XB1, and it costs $100 less at retail. Which again indicates that demand is not outstripping supply.

Quasar

Heres hoping they can do better supply wise. I know Australia seems starved, with it already sold out through to early January.

PS4 could have sold 5million easily if the stock was available. PS4 biggest problem is not the Xbox One, it's the manufacturing time.

I don't want the x1 to bomb because they'll get desperate and moneyhat even more third party exclusives.

LOL! I enjoyed the last year because as PS3 is my primary owner. Every game was a multiplatform game.

However, what saddened me was that even the exclusives that should be system sellers weren't that great anymore. Its like they weren't even trying (hyperbole, but excessively missing). Even the Mighty Halo went through some ridiculous changes, some that will even make Activision cringe.

So when the competition is tough, we will see some really great first party titles from all sides.

I want the next new IP from either one of the three to blow my mind like how "Gears of War" did when first announced all the way to their final theatrical and televised commercial.

Gold Member
That's pretty spectacular, unsurprising IMO but still spectacular. Well done Sony, go get drunk(er)!

Ulumsk

Didn't most think that the Wii U was doomed from the start? I mean the marketing was pretty bad. Nintendo even had to put out that chart for people to differentiate what Wii and Wii U were and that they were different systems.

Pretty much. I remember the original reveal not being sure if they had just announced a controller for the Wii or a full blown new console.

That didn't stop certain industry people from FUDing though.

keuja

So Europe is actually behind NA on the launch sell through. So much for US being Xboxland. I guess the dollar/euro price "parity" does make a difference.

Or it could mean that Europe is supply constrained and PS4 sold out. Can't buy PS4 if there aren't any available.

Key2001

Don't forget that Xbox One Black Friday sales were supposedly very strong.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've added a good 300K or so to the launch numbers just in the US.

Based on the infoscout report? If so, the report only accounts for ~1,500 receipts that had either a console and/or game sale on it.

Of over 102k shopping receipts tracked by InfoScout on Black Friday, slightly over 1,500 included purchases of a gaming console or console game. The data includes purchases at all major retailers carrying electronics including Walmart, Target, Best Buy, GameStop, RadioShack, and others.

MidBoss

Depends how much they can restock before Christmas in both NA and EU. Asia launch [Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong] will most likely be on a much smaller scale.

I think there's plenty enough demand over here. Sportsbros keep asking me about it. I just hope Sony knows this and sends enough units our way.

UNCMark

Banned
Funny guy.

Except you can't prove him wrong. And anecdotal evidence backs him up. Other than Wal-Mart guaranteeing a PS4 to anyone willing to wait in line for hours on Black Friday, who has been selling PS4s since launch? I've been looking everywhere locally and can't find one. I wouldn't be surprised at all if their sales numbers post-launch are low. Now that the European launch has happened, perhaps the US will get some more attention.

Top Bottom