• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS4 sold through 2.1 million units worldwide as of 12/1, 700K in EU/AU

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Assuming both MS and Sony shipped all they could produce to their launches, does that suggest that MS has a lower production capacity (about half of PS4, considering PS4 also has an Asia launch coming up soon), or that MS started production later and so couldn't build up stocks?

DieH@rd

Banned
So will they reach 3 million by the end of the year? I guess supply is a bit of an issue here?

Depends how much they can restock before Christmas in both NA and EU. Asia launch [Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong] will most likely be on a much smaller scale.

Damnit, Nintendo!

But even as an Xbox One owner, I'm glad to see this. Hopefully both consoles keep the momentum and demonstrate that consoles aren't dying.

SmokyDave

Great number, glad I managed to be one of 'em.

I don't think any rational person thought XB1 and PS4 would sell poorly in the first month or two.

I do believe that as a whole console sales will be down this gen though. Particularly in year 3+. I made that prediction ages ago and I still believe it.
I'd say that's a given now that Nintendo and their expanded audience have collapsed. I wouldn't bet on the PS4 and XBone coming in lower than the PS3 and 360 though.

snack

Where else in the world has the ps4 still not yet launched? I know Japan for one. Which are the others?

avaya

Assuming both MS and Sony shipped all they could produce to their launches, does that suggest that MS has a lower production capacity (about half of PS4, considering PS4 also has an Asia launch coming up soon), or that MS started production later and so couldn't build up stocks?

Microsoft physically can not produce more than Sony due to die size.

Judging from all the reports of yield issues on that monster SoC, probably both.

Visceir

Wasn't there some rumor a while back that the goal was to have an annual shipment of 16 million units?

Seemed insanely high at that point but seems kinda likely now.

zhao3gold

Banned
It is better to wait for the official press release in written to clarify if it is shipment figure or sell through figure. Whatever it is, it is quite impressive. Congratulations to Sony and PS4.

MS, as your fan, please learn from your own lesson and learn from your competitor. It is nearly hopeless to catch up PS4, but please make good games for us Xbox fans, so we will not feel more disappointed.

Loudninja

Where else in the world has the ps4 still not yet launched? I know Japan for one. Which are the others?
Japan: February 22nd, 2014
Asia regions: The middle of December 2013
Other regions: TBA
December 13th (Czech, Hungary, Slovakia, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, Turkey)
2014: (Iceland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Ukraine)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

Strained sports analogy time!

Now... can they hit it out of the park? (Software support including 3rd party over the next 2-3 years.)
Problem is they're not really able to produce enough units to meet hype. It's silly to think that 2.1 freaking million in 2 weeks doesn't count as enough "hype" but any more they could have made they'd have sold.

For now I'd call it a ground-rule double. The most annoying of all hits in baseball. Worse if a full count and runners at first and second were going and could have scored 2. Sure, you got a run, but goddammit! Sounds like constrained supply.

By comparison, perhaps the Xbone only had one runner on. Not in a bad position by any means.

playstation4group.gif

Love this one, right up there with the Avengers GIF.

Mrbob

Will be interesting to see if Sony will hold to that 5 million fiscal year projection. I still can't figure out how Sony came up with that number unless they are low balling or production is only 750k a month.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Fantastic result.
This should also mean that, given UK's debut and its relevance for the whole European market, sell through for the entire Europe should be 1 million / 900k. Leaving, then, around 100-200k sold in NA during the two weeks after the launch. PS4 IS severly supply costrained in US, as I've read almost everywhere, right? :p

bunbun777

Well I did buy one but my zero attach rate for software makes me afraid that I am just costing them money, one day sony you will recoup your losses from me, one day.

madmackem

Or the rumoured yield issues? they aint shipped a whole lot or if they have europe aint buying.

Ulumsk

And people were saying Wii U sales were a precursor for things to come for all console sales. Good to see they were proven wrong, in Xbone's case as well even though I disagree with their philosophy.

slapnuts

Man...i swear i lucked out so much being able to get my PS4 on Black Friday Midnight opening at Gamestop....the line was looooong and my hopes fizzled away when i get near the end of the line...but something happened when Gamestop opened the doors..people started grabbing all the empty PS4 and Xbox1 display boxes thinking they were real PS4's and X1's in them and they looked dumb founded standing there only to lose their spot in the three checkout counters ...i got in one line at about 30th spot in line...i got the 2nd to last PS4!!

This all happened AFTER i had originally went to a different gamestop and stood in line up in the cold for 1 hour until 1130pm..a half hour before their midnight black friday opening...then a gamestop employee came out and got half way though the line and shouted out "no more ps4's but xbox ones still available" ...my heart sunk and i felt so sad knowing it was all over and i was not going to get a PS4....then suddenly i remembered there was another Gamestop about 3 miles away as silly as it seems...i drove their and got in the loooong line there at 1145pm and as explained above in the first paragraph..this is how it all happened and i came home with a PS4 in utter BLISS~~!!!

hawk2025

Don't forget that Xbox One Black Friday sales were supposedly very strong.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've added a good 300K or so to the launch numbers just in the US.

Problem is they're not really able to produce enough units to meet hype. It's silly to think that 2.1 freaking million in 2 weeks doesn't count as enough "hype" but any more they could have made they'd have sold.

For now I'd call it a ground-rule double. The most annoying of all hits in baseball. Worse if a full count and runners at first and second were going and could have scored 2. Sure, you got a run, but goddammit! Sounds like constrained supply.

Wii seemed to do all right based on pure hype and next to nothing of substance for at least a year, with very constrained supply. As long as people want it, they will be fine.

There has to be substance there, however.

Sakura

Great number, glad I managed to be one of 'em.

I'd say that's a given now that Nintendo and their expanded audience have collapsed. I wouldn't bet on the PS4 and XBone coming in lower than the PS3 and 360 though.

I think that kind of depends on how long the generation is.

zeopower6

And people were saying Wii U sales were a precursor for things to come for all console sales. Good to see they were proven wrong, in Xbone's case as well even though I disagree with their philosophy.

Didn't most think that the Wii U was doomed from the start? I mean the marketing was pretty bad. Nintendo even had to put out that chart for people to differentiate what Wii and Wii U were and that they were different systems.

Don't forget that Xbox One Black Friday sales were supposedly very strong.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've added a good 300K or so to the launch numbers just in the US.

Incorrect until proven. I would be very happy if Xbox One sold well because I want both to succeed and innovate and be competitive neck and neck. It won't be a massive industry monopoly like Nintendo had, which made all the others make stupid decisions like Kinect and PS Move and all the gimmicks released inbetween; the THQ killer.

God damn!

Someone make a chart! A chart I say!
This is the best I can come up with for now (read notes below):
dZomuaC.jpg

It's admittedly not the best comparison.

Caveats/notes:
All consoles except PS4 are for November + December of respective launch year. PS4 is just through December 1st.
PS4 is for every territory launched through 1st December.
PS3 is for Japan and US only.
Xbox 360 and Wii's European sales are for UK, Germany and France only. And NA sales don't include Canada. EDIT: Oh initially forgot to add in Japanese sales for XB360 added now.
Wii U's European sales are for UK, FR, GE, SP, IT, NE, BE only. And NA sales don't include Canada.

hawk2025

Incorrect until proven. I would be very happy if Xbox One sold well because I want both to succeed and innovate and be competitive neck and neck. It won't be a massive industry monopoly like Nintendo had, which made all the others make stupid decisions like Kinect and PS Move and all the gimmicks released inbetween; the THQ killer.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say the 300K number was in any way based on fact, only a simple personal guesstimate.

(I do enjoy how the original Kinect is a stupid decision now... even though it was a giant hit for MS and put their system on top of the sales charts pretty much from that point on.)

ShdwDrake

Banned

You can walk in a store and get an Xbone. You cant walk in and get a PS4.

CzarTim

No, it's not. I don't understand where this is coming from.

Competitive platforms are good for the consumer. Sales parity is completely irrelevant to the consumer. In fact, if one platform lags behind the other, it is because the consumer has decided that one platform is not actually good for them. That is how it works. The dog wags the tail.

This "competition is good" thing has grown completely into a monster. Competition is the means by which a lessor is weeded out. If a platform is weaker, it should lose. That is competition. This whole "parity is good for the consumer"/"two platforms selling well is good for the consumer" sentiment is bizarre.

What you are espousing is not capitalism or competition but instead crony capitalism in which market competitors are propped up for the sake of having market competitors.

RE_Player

Sony took their licking last gen in stride and emerged stronger because of it. Look at the clusterfuck that was the beginning of the PS3 and look at them now. You can't get a better turn around folks.

foxbeldin

I don't want the x1 to bomb because they'll get desperate and moneyhat even more third party exclusives.

terrier

It is a pitty that this launches are really supply constrained, even this one with less 'exotic' tech on PS4/XBO. Considering Christmas and Black Friday usually mean huge sales, i wonder if console launches shoud move to other periods of the year to have two huge sales periods, launch, and christmas/BF

Sony took their licking last gen in stride and emerged stronger because of it. Look at the clusterfuck that was the beginning of the PS3 and look at them now. You can't get a better turn around folks.
hopefully they will continue the trend and care for the players forever, and maybe MS and nintendo will too.

NotUS

It's all about supply now.

Here in Australia, I can't find a PS4 anywhere, not in stores, not online. Pre-order now for a January 2014 shipment.

2.1 million, while impressive, is just scratching the surface.

Top Bottom