• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Annoyed Gamer: Getting Ready for Xbox One

dalin80

Banned
Why do all of these internet personalities have to be "annoyed" or "angry". What's with all of the negativity? Why not just enjoy your hobby and be happy about the great games that are releasing?

There was a great article during the last gen launch about the flood of 'angry' reviewers and net personalities from comical style like yahtzee to the full bore hate rants. Mostly it comes down to showing your superiority and satisfying your complex, people were having 10min rants on youtube etc towards fanboys or game devs or anyone else as that is one very potent way of expressing your perceived superiority.

Zabant

Because Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw and John "TotalBiscuit" Bane both made their fame by having an accent and being cynical, so if you're British/Australian and want to talk about games, it's an easy style to bite. To be honest, I haven't seen anything from him that even vaguely justifies the monicker, so I assume it's 100% branding.

To be fair, being a Brit myself, that's just a cultural thing. It's how we are. Some might play it up for effect, but we brits are a cynical bunch.

BeerSnob

I have it on good authority that Beer has developed an overheating issue that no one is willing to publicly refute. My question is, why isn't he willing to discuss this issue of his personal overheating problem? Is he hiding something? Is he secretly made of lava? Is he a undead person remade in the Universal Soldier program? Why isn't he willing to refute this rumor? I'm just asking questions here folks.

Looks like he's only giving attention to the negative comments.

I've read many great arguments regarding Sessler's points and how contradictory he's been. But do Sessler or Beer give any reaction to that?

No.

This is what's wrong here. I like Marcus and do think his show is providing something valuable. Between Jim's and Kyle's videos, I feel he often provides a--how should I put this?--less 'gaming-focused' perspective, being more of a serious media guy who makes points salient to a larger Western culture in relatable language. This is where his real strength lies and where he, frankly, should find his niche.

He is sadly also prone to talking down to his audience, though, and ignoring evidence and very open, honest discussion (did he actually read the thread on this?) just to 'come to the rescue' of friends who certainly don't need rescuing. I'm not saying he should adopt the academic discussion angle of YouTubers such as MrBtongue or the like, but, in my insignificant opinion, he needs to take a step away from responding to the latest drama du jour. This is the internet, we know by now to ignore the trolls and one-liners and so on. We don't need Marcus to tell us that. What we need is for someone to do the actual work of finding out whether what was said on both sides had any real merit and then rigorously showing what constitutes real merit in such discussions. He does call himself the Annoyed Gamer, but simple bitching is just not going to cut it and he has actually demonstrated that he can do better than that.

In summary, this was definitely not him in top form, but I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

To be fair, being a Brit myself, that's just a cultural thing. It's how we are. Some might play it up for effect, but we brits are a cynical bunch.

I think most people would actually prefer a bit of charm and dry wit - David Tennant and Peter Dinklage are a damn sight more popular worldwide than any angry Brit I can think of - but dour cynicism is low-hanging fruit that anyone can emulate by throwing a handful of endearing British swear-words into a mostly monotone rant.

ClearData

I don't mind that he reported on a rumor but it does rub me the wrong way when he does not retract his statements after several reports surfaced that refuted the overheating issue from several sources. Many people are understandably squeamish after the RROD and YLOD incidents so it is right to inform them of overheating issues. But when the "rumor" is shown to be false or misinformed a journalist should admit that what they initially reported was wrong or evidence points to the contrary,

Chinner

Banned
oh i wonder what hes going to get mad about this week? hes so funny when he gets angry and shouts. wow what a quality product he provides.

So you can shit on Phil Fish because he's a public person whose choices you disagreed with, but we can't call you out for disagreeing with your stances, eh Marcus?

I don't get this guy, I don't like him, and I'm so over the annoyed/angry Internet shtick.

Find me on Twitter, Marcus: @mikebrothers

Soooo if all these issues and concerns are only relevant to the vocal minority then why are so many people in the press so persistent on responding to it? I mean it is not significant after all so why bother? Cover Peggle 2 instead, it's about the games afterall.

tickling

Banned
UsualLy enjoy his shows but these console launch ones have been poor. Being recorded a couple of days beforehand makes them look dated very quick.

But when the "rumor" is shown to be false or misinformed a journalist should admit that what they initially reported was wrong or evidence points to the contrary,

But, that probably tells you a lot about him. Even that ReviewTechUSA guy admitted his source was wrong about those rumors that he posted recently.

frizby

Summary:

1. Ignored the 500-600 MFLOP power difference and attributed resolutiongate to "drivers"
  2. Didn't acknowledge that he was wrong to spread a lie without properly researching first
  3. Lumped everybody who criticized him into "Sony Defense Force"
  4. Thinks he's "contributing" to the industry
What can I say about this man that hasn't already been said?

Summary:

1. Ignored the 500-600 MFLOP power difference and attributed resolutiongate to "drivers"
  2. Didn't acknowledge that he was wrong to spread a lie without properly researching first

Hahahaha. #4 just killed me. Does he really think he "contributes" to the industry? Guy is a total douche. He really does talk down to his audience. That's why he ain't getting a free PS4. No credentials =P

I don't see any controversy with this video.

Me neither, he's not really trolling/arguing with anyone. He just shed some light on why X1 graphics are inferior. Just weird he left out the most important part : PS4 has better specs.

The last couple of mins are funny though. Media journalists are cracking from all the trolls. lol
Sessler did deserve shit. I don't think he's a shill but when you blatantly backtrack you set yourself to be trolled hard. Is he a good guy? probably. Does he know more than me? Probably. But when you're wrong, you're wrong. Man up.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I like Marcus, but he really needs to address the larger issue that an (apparently increasing) number of gamers feel that Sony and Microsoft are treated markedly differently by the gaming press.

Part of the reason why "resolution-gate" has blown up the way that it has, is that for the last few years its been commonplace for the media to make an unfavourable comparison between PS3 and 360 versions of multi-platform titles. Often citing small differentials in resolution and performance as a contributing factor, some outlets like Digital Foundry have specialized in this sort of nit-pickery for example.

This has been going on for many years, and I honestly cannot think of a single instance where the importance of these comparisons to consumers was ever called into question by a fellow member of the media.

Until of course, now, when suddenly its apparently become in need of repudiation.

Why is that? Why now?

You don't have to be a console warrior to pick up on the fact that the major circumstantial change is who is getting the rough-end of the scrutiny this time.

When you get this sort of about-face in what constitutes "meaningful" criteria for comparison, and it (perhaps inadvertently) is to the benefit of the same party, people are going to start asking questions.

What concerns me personally is the fact that there's been no effort made to pre-empt skepticism on the part of the gaming public over this about-face. Regardless of whether an individual journalist actively took part in making these sorts of comparisons over the last few years, they would have to have been wilfully ignorant not to have noticed that it was the status-quo in the gaming media as a whole.

In simple terms, by allowing DF and their like to flourish without comment or censure for the last few years, the gaming media has legitimized this sort of approach. So now, when we start being told, "no, no, that doesn't matter", its very difficult not to wonder what agendas and ulterior motives are at work.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I liked Marcus up until now. He seemed honestly disgruntled by the industry.

Personally I can't see why journalists take the Xbone's side in anything. They should inform the public about everything that is wrong and assume that it's the worst case scenario. But, they are apart of the PR strategy and is bribed and pandered to so that they "see both sides" of things. They want a war so they report on the situation like it was one. Microsoft's PR machine doesn't get the rules of this game and just gets everything wrong thus creating the easiest job in the world for Sony's guys. The journalists are then forced to take Microsoft's party in order to keep the war going.

Pundits like Beer and Sessler are only here to feed opinions that cater to their self-intrest. I think they, in private, could agree that they aren't doing the business any favours by looking into a camera telling the gamers what's real. They're hurting it. Sessler is really bad and it seems like Beer just recently got on their payroll. The over-heating rumour of the PS4 that noone knew or talked about until it was properly debunked as a lie. From what we could gather originated from Beer himself. The rumour was something that's just out to create bad press for Sony and it back-fired.

Not reporting on something is just as important as reporting on it. I'll be happy two years from now when next-gen is current-gen. Hopefully then this "war" has settled.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Why the hell do so many gaming journalists have less knowledge about what they are talking than random people on NeoGAF?

So he sais that Xbox One runs games at 720p because it uses "10%" of its processing resources for Kinect and that this is due to unoptimized drivers? Yeah, he "reads" up on stuff....

• Original DRM Kerfuffle
  • Kinect Compulsory
  • 720P Launch Games
  • More Expensive than a PS4
Really feel like Microsoft has lost the plot and isn't coming back. I wish them well in their future endeavours with Xbox One. However I will not be participating in it.

Orca

Odd he thinks the ps4 tools will remain stagnant till the xbox one improves. So much salt

Well after all the 'Xbox One drivers six months behind' stuff, it's probably not entirely untoward to expect those drivers to improve more and more quickly than a more mature set.

Bodde

Banned
Hold on. He's doing what he told Phil Fish not to do....

He's getting pissed off at haters giving him abuse. Yet, he tells other people to "man-up" and "take it" because it's part of the package of being on the internet.

Oh, and my name is Farrow Fox. You can find me on Twitter and Youtube.
Pretty hilarious IMO. Annoyed gamer indeed. Probably annoyed fanboy.

kuppy

Summary:

hahaha, great last one, I totally hate it when he always comes with that point that he knows so much about the industry because he has all this working experience and if you do not have that you can't compete to him, sigh

He's absolutely on the money about RARE
yeah, because of the GAF thread /videogamejournalism
jk, well, kind of

Why the hell do so many gaming journalists have less knowledge about what they are talking than random people on NeoGAF?

So he sais that Xbox One runs games at 720p because it uses "10%" of its processing resources for Kinect and that this is due to unoptimized drivers? Yeah, he "reads" up on stuff....

What are you doing away from the banderas thread? Get back to work =P

Pavaloo

This just bothers me so much, it's so hard to go to any gaming news sites personally, especially for reviews. I'd rather hear a random or respected Gaffer's opinion.

I think I want to hear from more journalists who are ex-industry. Like old designers, developers, programmers, etc. but NOT from an old PR guy.

hahaha, great last one, I totally hate it when he always comes with that point that he knows so much about the industry because he has all this working experience and if you do not have that you can't compete to him, sigh

yeah, because of the GAF thread /videogamejournalism
jk, well, kind of
It's ridiculous. His experience in the industry is as a PR guy who eventually became a journalist. I just hate it. Yeah go ahead and talk down to more indie devs, ya asshole.

I think that's where a lot of the perceived vitriol comes from. Certain journos and personalities pretend to have a higher authority or expertise but rarely, if ever, actually do. With the gaming scene having such a large amount of knowledgeable consumers, they often find themselves in a situation where they're being called out on any BS the put out there, which they then see as vitriol.

wildfire

Banned
I bet this thread won't get locked like last week since he isn't offering a rumor to be pilloried.
No amount of driver optimizations are going to make up a 30%+ performance gap.

Agreed. He offered a refreshing argument by pointing out Kinect which has been forgotten in these discussion but the performance needed to run at 1080 vs 720 is so much bigger than the 10% resources kinect is eating.

as soon as journalists stop wagging their fingers at gamers that choose to stick to one console/company, and going on these rants of the holier-than-thou "you are a console fanboy unless you declare that you just like games and are going to buy both nextgen consoles", only then will i start taking their complaints about gamers on the innernet seriously.

bosman does this a lot. "uhh so what happened to just playing good games? im buying both because i like good games." in a very talking-down manner. it drives me crazy. not everyone can afford to buy both consoles, nor is it very practical. furthermore, the overlap between libraries is so huge that what purpose would it serve to have both?

making up numbers here, but if only 5% of each console's entire library is truly exclusive to it, then just pick one and stick with it. you're only missing out on that small percentage of titles the other one has. the remaining 95% of it's games will also be on your console. i could understand the stance of "buy both because games are awesome" if each of them had very VERY large libraries of true exclusives, because there would be so much content being missed out on that you'd be doing yourself a disservice by ignoring them.

currently, there just isn't a whole lot of reason to buy both unless that small margin REALLY means a lot to you, and you can afford the luxury of not missing out on it. it's so incredibly dumb to say that unless you buy all consoles then you're stupid and a fanboy. this is the kind of shit that a lot of us are talking about with the games media no longer asking the hard questions, and no longer trying to find the truth, and instead are just making sure everything is even stevens between MS and Sony. in the last Doddcast i listened to he talked about that exact thing.

/rant

Qassim

This just bothers me so much, it's so hard to go to any gaming news sites personally, especially for reviews. I'd rather hear a random or respected Gaffer's opinion.

I think I want to hear from more journalists who are ex-industry. Like old designers, developers, programmers, etc. but NOT from an old PR guy.

It's ridiculous. His experience in the industry is as a PR guy who eventually became a journalist. I just hate it. Yeah go ahead and talk down to more indie devs, ya asshole.

Yeah, I have to avoid podcasts from the big sites around big events. I had to just stop listening to podcasts around the PS4 reveal, Xbox One reveal and E3. I don't mind when hobbyists are misinformed, but when journalists (Their job is to know this industry!) make so many mistakes over and over again within a single podcast, I just can't listen.

wildfire

Banned
Hiding in anonymity? I'm Commander Shepard and this is my least favorite employee on GT.com.

Seriously Marcus, get a grip. Why don't you have a conversation with us? Here, right now. These BS rumor-threads get closed very fast if you can't provide or name sources. People would call you out, even if it was about the Xbone. GAF isn't pro-PS4 but pro-gaming, remember that.

That's not how rumor threads work here. You state a rumor and it essentially is making a ban bet. Once a rumor can be proven true or or false determines whether or not you get banned. (and discussing rumors with people who have proven to be reliable with their past rumors isn't the proof that's required) Noone asks for sources because that is an impossible request to make. So instead you have to risk your reputation and posting privileges.

wildfire

Banned
I have no respect for Marcus Beer. His schtick is tired and he has completely lost perspective.

The "Oh look at everybody picking on poor little me and innocent, defenseless nerd Adam Sessler" plea is completely void of intellectual substance. It is a smokescreen. It is totally a last-ditch appeal to people's emotions to avoid having to actually consider the genuine issues and complaints we as a community of gamers have presented.

I felt he was bordering on this myself. I still appreciate what he does in general but this is a negative self failing he needs to correct if he wants to broaden his message.

The biggest problem is that he's not the only one who should be doing this because the format for his show sucks for examining why various talking heads have changed their perspective. There needs to be a talk show that invites people to discuss how their opinions have evolved over the years to better explain why they've made a complete 180 or have become mealymouth apologists.

Beer already explained his own perspective sufficiently enough with his argument about low res games like Hotline Miami and Minecraft.

Static Jak

Will never understand the whole argument they make by saying the games matter over the graphics. That has never, ever been the point.
The comparisons and criticisms all came from direct comparisons between BF4 and COD, multiplatform games.

Lets face it, the bulk of games we'll be playing on either the PS4 or Xbox One will be multiplatform from 3rd party publishers.

It also doesn't help that we've seen PC running games at 1080 for a few years now so to see "next gen" hardware run well below that is very, very hard to get excited for.

Respawn

Banned
in 3-4 years during this cycle we will be playing games at 720p at 30fps as the devs push more pretty things on screen.

the PS4 and XB1 can not keep up with 1080p at 60fps gaming as there parts are not replaceable. the PC will leave them behind and the only way they will be able to keep pace is a lower res and 30fps.

end of..... if you want 1080p at 60fps get a PC or a good stream machine :)
Some of you juniors really need to read more and post less.

Respawn

Banned
I have no respect for Marcus Beer. His schtick is tired and he has completely lost perspective.

The "Oh look at everybody picking on poor little me and innocent, defenseless nerd Adam Sessler" plea is completely void of intellectual substance. It is a smokescreen. It is totally a last-ditch appeal to people's emotions to avoid having to actually consider the genuine issues and complaints we as a community of gamers have presented.

He doesn't have an opinion. He has a defense mechanism.

He is choosing to disregard valid opinions. If he actually wanted to debate opinions, that'd be great.
Great post

Atomski

I love the its a everything box so that makes it ok not to push 1080p.

Last I checked my PC is even more of a everything box and does push 1080p..

Top Bottom