• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Annoyed Gamer: Getting Ready for Xbox One

ironcreed

Banned
I can't agree more with the end. All of this shit has taken on a life of it's own and is tainting the launch of a new generation. Yes, Microsoft was the devil with their initial plans and the system is weaker than the PS4. But they reversed course, the system is still a giant leap over what the 360 is capable of, the interface seems incredibly slick and they have a great launch line up.

The bottom line is that both of these systems are going to be great in their own way and get better over time. I don't know about anyone else, but I am ready to move on and get ready to enjoy a new generation without all of the constant drama and shit storms. Mad about the resolution or whatever? Then don't buy the system. There are alternatives. Personally, I'm excited for them both.

ronco2000

I can't agree more with the end. All of this shit has taken on a life of it's own and is tainting the launch of a new generation. Yes, Microsoft was the devil with their initial plans and the system is weaker than the PS4. But they reversed course, the system is still a giant leap over what the 360 is capable of, the interface seems incredibly slick and they have a great launch line up.

The bottom line is that both of these systems are going to be great in their own way and get better over time. I don't know about anyone else, but I am ready to move on and get ready to enjoy a new generation without all of the constant drama and shit storms. Mad about the resolution or whatever? Then don't buy the system. There are alternatives. Personally, I'm excited for them both.

If it's giant leap over what the 360 is capable of then why can't do 1080P. The main reason why people upgrade the graphics card is get better graphics...if people upgrade from 360 to the Xbone then they deserve better graphics.

If it's giant leap over what the 360 is capable of then why can't do 1080P. The main reason why people upgrade the graphics card is get better graphics...if people upgrade from 360 to the Xbone then they deserve better graphics.

Forza 5 is 1080p, so is NBA14 and Need for Speed. Ryse looks better than anything this gen has thrown out, so people are getting better graphics.

ironcreed

Banned

Take one look at Ryse. If you think that is not a giant leap over what is possible on the 360, then I don't know what to tell you. Besides that, we are talking launch games here. The tools will improve and we will see better results as the systems mature. But that is not new news. Such is always the case every generation.

Saganator

Maybe one day someone will step forward as the Informed Gamer, the Educated Gamer or the Accountable Gamer. One can only hope.

I've thought of doing something like this but I just don't have the time. I also probably lack the personality.

I think the negative tone of some of the YT personalities derives from their real passion for gaming and distaste they have for publishers/developers shitting (real or perceived) on their hobby. Also, Annoyed Gamer is way more catchy than Nice Guy Gamer who manages to find a silver lining in every shitty game they play.

Gestault

Well I mean, we know the system can do 1080/60 with good visuals, and between just the launch lineup games, you'd be silly to say we're not seeing a big improvement over previous-gen. Mind you, we're also seeing games running at lower resolution on XB1 than PS4, but that's aside from the point you were making. If you're sincere that you don't think there's a generational bump in graphics quality, you may not be looking at the games themselves.

Watched it earlier, 2nd half of the video are going to rustle some jimmies.

Actually I was rather happy with his take in the second half of it. I completely disagreed with what Adam Sessler had said in his take on the resolutiongate stuff but the extreme responses people had is unnecessary. I never thought Sessler was a shill per say but was disappointed in his change of opinion

Yagharek

I really wish media members would address the decent posters making good points instead of addressing the trolls. Take his Adam Sessler point for example.

-Adam says 1080p isn't what matters about next gen.
-People point out to him that he earlier said these new consoles better be 1080p and 60 fps as an expectation.
-Other people called him all sorts of really terrible things because that is unfortunately par for the course of the internet.
-When it comes to a response from Adam or somebody speaking in behalf of Adam, only the latter troll party gets a response. The same goes from Marcus and his own trolls here. Why not address the good posts and not feed the trolls?

If they addressed the good posts then they would have to concede they are mistaken. Instead, they only focus on the (reprehensible) troll posts and get to play the victim without conceding any of their disproven points.

sol_bad

Hold on. He's doing what he told Phil Fish not to do....

He's getting pissed off at haters giving him abuse. Yet, he tells other people to "man-up" and "take it" because it's part of the package of being on the internet.

Isn't Marcus doing what he is telling other people to do?
He's saying if you have opinions or if you want to insult someone, don't do it hiding through anonymity? That's what Marcus did with Phil Fish, he publicly stated what he thought of him, he didn't hide behind a username.

So you can shit on Phil Fish because he's a public person whose choices you disagreed with, but we can't call you out for disagreeing with your stances, eh Marcus?

Again, Marcus is fine for you to shit on people but don't do it hiding behind a user name.

If they addressed the good posts then they would have to concede they are mistaken. Instead, they only focus on the (reprehensible) troll posts and get to play the victim without conceding any of their disproven points.

Curious as I don't remember my Twitter information, nor do I really look much through YouTube comments, but how many good comments are there?

Don't get me wrong, people like Sessler are going the wrong way in responding to the feedback. However, I'm really curious as to how the environment that they have themselves in actually looks like. The bits I've seen on YouTube are pretty disgusting, either in regards to the video, or to each other.

Dantis

Annoyed Gamer?

More like Annoying Gamer, AM I RIGHT?

I feel like Beer is the polar opposite of Kyle Bosman. Frankly, I just find him to be a bit of a twat. His rant about how Kojima should learn our language if he's going to speak at conferences in our country is actually why I stopped listening to Invisible Walls.

I know it's his shtick to be a twat, but it doesn't make enjoyable viewing/listening for me. It makes me roll my eyes.

Isn't Marcus doing what he is telling other people to do?
He's saying if you have opinions or if you want to insult someone, don't do it hiding through anonymity? That's what Marcus did with Phil Fish, he publicly stated what he thought of him, he didn't hide behind a username.

SO BRAVE OF HIM THAT WAS TOO! BRAVO MARCUS WELL DONE.

Someone calling Marcus a tool isn't the same as Marcus calling someone else a tool, unfortunately.

Jarlaxle

I agree with him for the most part and I echo the sentiment of really wanting these consoles to come out already so we can go back to playing, enjoying, and talking about GAMES.

sol_bad

People will hate me for saying this but I would not be against forums using Facebook as a requirement to register. I honestly believe it would cut down on a lot of bullshit they generally have to put up with.

JLeack

Banned

So. Much. Facepalm.

Oh my god my palm hit my face so fast I slapped myself. Now my cheeks are red.

People will hate me for saying this but I would not be against forums using Facebook as a requirement to register. I honestly believe it would cut down on a lot of bullshit they generally have to put up with.

How would that fix anything? Are you actually under the belief that people are only rude because they aren't using their real names? You can go on Facebook and find countless racist, homophobic and sexist comments and images being posted. The same goes for Twitter. The whole "Anonymity = asshole" line of thinking has been bullshit for the longest time.

Journalists want to fix things? Stop bullshitting the people that are listening to their programs. That's the way to fix it. Don't talk about how tools are going to improve in the future but not bring up the very real gap in power between these platforms. Don't talk about how graphics don't matter if you ever were one of the people that dismissed the Wii or Wii U because they were lacking in that area. Actually ask follow up questions in interviews instead of continually tossing softballs to developers. There's a reason that Metro interview for Ghosts was highly praised. There's a reason why Jim Sterling's "Jimquisition" videos are highly praised. Journalists complaining about those criticizing journalists should look into those to see what they're doing that's so different. And stop telling gamers that they're entitled simply because they hold developers/publishers to their word.

JLeack

Banned

<3 this post and the video.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/wdtj53/annoyed-gamer-getting-ready-for-xbox-one

Beer talks about Resolution Gate, how it personally affects him as an owner of both PS4 and XBox One, mentions Neogaf's threads about Rare and how MS is treating Rare shoddily. And then takes the Internet to task about how the internet is treating journalists.

And Marcus Beer, I am one of those people who criticized Sessler for his contradicted stance. If you truly think I'm hiding behind my name/nick, I will gladly and proudly post my name here. My name is Sonny Taing, and I thought your argument about internet anonymity just missed the mark.

You know you completely missed the point right? He's specifically saying that to people who ARE insulting Adam Sessler and calling him all the names that they did. If you did not do that, then he isn't addressing you now is he?

Pain

Banned
Disappointing video Marcus. That didn't resonate with me at all. Your points seemed wishy washy and in effect it was no different to the whining from fanboys in lesser forums.
Exactly. He also failed to apologize for spreading that PS4 overheating rumor.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So much hate on this thread. The guy is just stating his opinions but don't insult him if it isn't towards you. I personally believe he was spot on this episode, showed both sides of the argument and how it is to be in their shoes. It isn't the internet anonymity that is causing problems, its the mob mentality on the internet, if one goes, the rest well as well and form an amalgamation of hate with a hint of regret on the side without even realizing it.

Why the hell do so many gaming journalists have less knowledge about what they are talking than random people on NeoGAF?

So he sais that Xbox One runs games at 720p because it uses "10%" of its processing resources for Kinect and that this is due to unoptimized drivers? Yeah, he "reads" up on stuff....
People like Marcus Beer aren't journalists. They're just people with a soapbox. I don't really even get why their shows exist and why people watch them.

And they circle the wagons at any attempt to dissect their "contribution" to the gaming industry.

There are few people in the gaming media that I would actually consider journalists. Very few do any sort of investigative reporting or are willing to engage, like for example jschreier, on here. One of them was basically pushed out of gaming journalism (Rab Florence) for their article criticizing the state of gaming media.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Exactly. He also failed to apologize for spreading that PS4 overheating rumor.

He said it was a rumor, why should he apologize over a rumor? Look up the definition of a rumor before stating this, it is neither true or false, just gossip. Now if he had stated it as a fact, I would be on the bandwagon with you sir.

xBuTcHeRx

Why the hell do so many gaming journalists have less knowledge about what they are talking than random people on NeoGAF?

So he sais that Xbox One runs games at 720p because it uses "10%" of its processing resources for Kinect and that this is due to unoptimized drivers? Yeah, he "reads" up on stuff....

Well MS improved there CPU performance by like a few bumps but isn't that an idea of what a driver is?

TheHater

I Annoyed Gamer and Adam Sessler are really being to annoyed me
They want civil conversation from viewers/readers but completely ignore they ones being civil and group everyone into "trolls". Choose to ignore the civil and only respond to the "trolls"

He said it was a rumor, why should he apologize over a rumor? Look up the definition of a rumor before stating this, it is neither true or false, just gossip. Now if he had stated it as a fact, I would be on the bandwagon with you sir.
I think he should apologize because he rumors were disproved by GAF and other websites within hours after his video went live.

What apologist nonsense. It's basically the equivalent of that other ridiculous oft-used argument "It's my opinion, so it can't be wrong." If you publicly spread a false rumor that creates FUD, then you better be sure to rectify that FUD through some sort of retraction if it turns out you're wrong.

Try posting a rumor on GAF without it being at least double sourced and see what happens.

TheHater

Well MS improved there CPU performance by like a few bumps but isn't that an idea of what a driver is?
you are correct sir.
Both Sony and MS will improve the Xbox One and PS4 drivers. Hopefully they also reduce the OS footprint and give developers more access to the system RAM.

This is why most people who actually have credibility check and double check sources on "rumors" before spouting off about them.

Pimpwerx

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/wdtj53/annoyed-gamer-getting-ready-for-xbox-one

Beer talks about Resolution Gate, how it personally affects him as an owner of both PS4 and XBox One, mentions Neogaf's threads about Rare and how MS is treating Rare shoddily. And then takes the Internet to task about how the internet is treating journalists.

And Marcus Beer, I am one of those people who criticized Sessler for his contradicted stance. If you truly think I'm hiding behind my name/nick, I will gladly and proudly post my name here. My name is Sonny Taing, and I thought your argument about internet anonymity just missed the mark.

Journalists get taken to task for doing shoddy work all the time. It's not an internet thing. There are shitty journos in all fields. It's just that game journalism is one of the worst because most of them are amateurs with no formal journalistic training. Plus, the nature of relying on handouts destroys objectivity. PEACE.

gogosox8

Doesn't this guy do the exact same thing he's criticizing internet trolls for doing, namely name calling instead of having an actual discussion? What was it that he called Phil Fish again (I honestly can't remember I know it didn't lead to a civil discussion)? And he calls himself the Annoyed Gamer. His whole schtick is about going to these long rants and talking shit about people. He loses any credibility he has when he's known for calling people all sorts of names but has the gall to turn around and say that its wrong and we should be fostering rational discussion.

Pain

Banned
Because he spread it.

Before his mentioning of this, it was nothing but fanboy fiction.

Gusto

Poor ol Marcus Dice Beer. Please don't give this annoyed gamer any more hits. His cry at the end was pretty sad, he doesn't deserve to get paid for his rants. Feed me more of the final bossman, that dudes legit son.

I hear this idea of having a civil discussion a lot, and yes, that is fantastic. But games personalities and games journalists have so few ways to really interact with the rational part of their audience. Twitter is not the place to debate anything, nevermind topics that demand a great deal of technical analysis. A discussion in 140 characters is incredibly limiting, and so the ideas get condensed and statements quickly get hyperbolic. It's also much easier for less generous members of the community to spend their time swearing or making threats in that format, and thus encouraging people like Adam Sessler to entirely shut down a conversation and recede into their own opinion without giving it much more thought. It's the same thing with YouTube comments - these are places with historically terrible discussion value. Stop reading them and believing that is your audience.

Instead, there needs to be a forum of actual discussion. Even if they don't take the time to respond to each and every article on email or lengthy forum post, they can read them, they can understand them and then perhaps they can construct their own follow up. The issue here is not that people are angry Sessler doesn't care about resolution - it's that he's refusing to acknowledge the faults in his argument, and the hatred he's received is an escalation of this arrogance. That does not say the level or tone of the hatred is anywhere near justified, but I believe he should acknowledge the part of his audience who disagrees and isn't being bitter and angry over it. The audience who would like to have that discussion, but want to do it outside of somewhere like Twitter, but haven't been gicven the option to do so.

At the end of the video, Marcus tells us to discuss with him on Twitter, but Twitter is not going to work for discussion. If people like he and Adam and any other journalist would like to have a conversation, please open avenues for that conversation. I can't guarantee everyone who enters it will be polite and respectful, but most will, and most will have thoughts far more intelligent than anything that can come from Twitter or from YouTube comments.

Amen brother

wizzbang

Banned
So much hate on this thread. The guy is just stating his opinions but don't insult him if it isn't towards you. I personally believe he was spot on this episode, showed both sides of the argument and how it is to be in their shoes. It isn't the internet anonymity that is causing problems, its the mob mentality on the internet, if one goes, the rest well as well and form an amalgamation of hate with a hint of regret on the side without even realizing it.

http://kotaku.com/twitter-blowup-leads-to-sudden-cancellation-of-fez-ii-934548588
Well to quote Beer himself, in my opinion I think beer is a fucking tosspot, hell he's a fucking asshole most of the time!

I can't with this guy.

He has the type of personality that I can't give the type of day to. He just isn't worth it. His opinions are rarely credible. Like what do people even listen to him for exactly? What is his audience? Or who should I say?

Kyoufu

I can't with this guy.

He has the type of personality that I can't give the type of day to. He just isn't worth it. His opinions are rarely credible. Like what do people even listen to him for exactly? What is his audience? Or who should I say?

People like to listen to other people bitching about topics they're interested in.

People like to listen to other people bitching about topics they're interested in.

I mean people like to hear someone who is getting paid to review games they get for free and systems they get for free bitch about something that concerns them today and then not tomorrow? Imo, nothing he says is some well thought out concern that people should be worried about.. He's definitely not someone like Jim.. He's just so irrelevant.

megamerican

I actually really like Marcus and think he's a good voice to have in the industry. I disagree with him on the Sessler thing. I think most people on here respect Sessler so they were discouraged when he made that apologist video. And none of the posts I saw were calling him a cocksucker, they were pretty well constructed arguments using Sessler's own words to contradict his current stance.

And I'm surprised people think Marcus is in the tank for MS. He has bitched about them for years and always plays multi-plats on his PS3.

So people are actually saying you can't have a negative opinion about an industry "personality" as long as we don't know your real name?

I'm laughing so hard I peed a little. Beer is continuing his decline, this friendly PSA to remind people that the xboxone is coming out, while spreading FUD about the upcoming PS4 launch is the last straw for me, the wrong person quit the industry the day Fish left, what we get stuck with is a blowhard who is convinced he's still part of it. congratulation games industry.

rich7sena

Banned
I'm not a big fan of Marcus. I don't understand his place in the gaming media. He isn't a journalist, doesn't review games, and he isn't funny. I guess he's supposed to provide contrarian or candid opinions? Kyle Bosman does pretty much the same thing for gametrailers but I think people find him much more entertaining.

There really isn't any validity or point to Marcus Beer. Beer's rants just seem so contrived and under developed. Video game enthusiasts have the right to respond to things how they choose. Whether or not they do that with tact or respect is arbitrary.

Atomski

Having just watched the video, not sure where you got that he was justifying the lack of 1080p on some titles. He was just pointing it out as a possible reason.

Its not a good reason though.. being a media hub shouldnt hold back game graphic quality. Specially when its more expensive.

Mononoke

Banned
The reaction people have to those like Sessler is certainly extreme. But it also highlights the deeper mistrust that consumers have with the game media. That in itself is a much bigger discussion.

Top Bottom