• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Annoyed Gamer: Getting Ready for Xbox One

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
This is why most people who actually have credibility check and double check sources on "rumors" before spouting off about them.

Ah I see, I should look deeper into the context of the situation next time. Could have sworn it was a rumor since a post was done on GAF (don't remember which one) that showed the red line of death but it was clearly taken out of context for being the death of the console.

njean777

I hear this idea of having a civil discussion a lot, and yes, that is fantastic. But games personalities and games journalists have so few ways to really interact with the rational part of their audience. Twitter is not the place to debate anything, nevermind topics that demand a great deal of technical analysis. A discussion in 140 characters is incredibly limiting, and so the ideas get condensed and statements quickly get hyperbolic. It's also much easier for less generous members of the community to spend their time swearing or making threats in that format, and thus encouraging people like Adam Sessler to entirely shut down a conversation and recede into their own opinion without giving it much more thought. It's the same thing with YouTube comments - these are places with historically terrible discussion value. Stop reading them and believing that is your audience.

Instead, there needs to be a forum of actual discussion. Even if they don't take the time to respond to each and every article on email or lengthy forum post, they can read them, they can understand them and then perhaps they can construct their own follow up. The issue here is not that people are angry Sessler doesn't care about resolution - it's that he's refusing to acknowledge the faults in his argument, and the hatred he's received is an escalation of this arrogance. That does not say the level or tone of the hatred is anywhere near justified, but I believe he should acknowledge the part of his audience who disagrees and isn't being bitter and angry over it. The audience who would like to have that discussion, but want to do it outside of somewhere like Twitter, but haven't been gicven the option to do so.

At the end of the video, Marcus tells us to discuss with him on Twitter, but Twitter is not going to work for discussion. If people like he and Adam and any other journalist would like to have a conversation, please open avenues for that conversation. I can't guarantee everyone who enters it will be polite and respectful, but most will, and most will have thoughts far more intelligent than anything that can come from Twitter or from YouTube comments.

They could just come on Gaf and actually talk to us, but no instead they stay on twitter and complain.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I Annoyed Gamer and Adam Sessler are really being to annoyed me
They want civil conversation from viewers/readers but completely ignore they ones being civil and group everyone into "trolls". Choose to ignore the civil and only respond to the "trolls"

I think he should apologize because he rumors were disproved by GAF and other websites within hours after his video went live.

I can see why the apology is garnered but with the first comment, when you have a following like they do, especially Sessler, it gets pretty difficult to separate the fodder from actual conversations on twitter, youtube, etc. Unless there is another form of social media that I am not aware of.

SeanTSC

Gametrailers as a whole has felt a little off to me for a while now. It's kinda felt like they've been downplaying the PS4 and giving the Xbox One a pass on things. Kinda like the differences in the titles of Marcus' last two episodes:

"Growing Concerns for the PlayStation 4" Vs. "Getting Ready for the Xbox One"

Even Kyle's final Battle of the Bands video felt off, the portrayal of Sony there was really weird there.

I think they've possibly had a big stick up their ass about the whole HDCP issue and some really weird bias has been seeping out. That also may just be a small part of it, since it feels like a lot of so called "Gaming Journalists" are giving the Xbox One a pass now and really downplaying a lot of stuff. Maybe it's all in my head, but it just feels like there's some weird collective crap going on lately.

Dragon Carr

Neo Member
Being an internet critic is similar to buying a house next to a freeway. The freeway was there before you bought the house, so bitching about it being too noisy is just plain stupid.

The world wide web, home to anonymous jerks since 1996, but no, i'm sure that YOUR rant will be the thing that changes the whole culture.

wildfire

Banned
If it's giant leap over what the 360 is capable of then why can't do 1080P. The main reason why people upgrade the graphics card is get better graphics...if people upgrade from 360 to the Xbone then they deserve better graphics.

Look it's one thing to be annoyed that MS is offering a console that is $100 more than the PS4 and can't output to 1080p but to think the Xbox 180 hasn't made any improvements over the 360 is embarrassingly misinformed. You even invoke graphics card so I can't assume you are some type of dude bro. What do you think GPU reviews were telling you?

People tried to engage in sensible discussion with him after his last video. He blocked them from his Twitter. They weren't being homophobic or racist, they were just presenting questions that he didn't have answers for or opinions that differed from his narrative.

I would like to see a thread about this where people complained about this. That would change my opinion of him if the way they approached him wasn't remotely vile.

I'm not saying that having a shtick is inherently bad. I got sick of Ben Croshaw's many years ago, but I still respect the man because his reviews to this day contain actual intelligence and creativity. Marcus Beer has never contributed to the videogame industry any more than the shit I took this morning.

He actually worked in the industry on the PR/marketing end. He's contributed more than than your average forum poster who is just a step above the majority of our illustrious gaming press who only helped to regress the spreading of information compared to what the press used to do in the 90s. We are more objective than them but we don't actually do anything other than to call out bullshit. You're doing a good job of living up to the standard of being a below average forum poster.

Why do all of these internet personalities have to be "annoyed" or "angry". What's with all of the negativity? Why not just enjoy your hobby and be happy about the great games that are releasing?

That's Kyle Bosman. The perfect antidote to all those toxic "angry gamer" internet personalities that hide behind their cynicism.

(Except for Yahtzee, who I think is the only one who pulls it off with enough wit to still be worthwhile.)

IrishNinja

Classic Game Room is the show for you.

shit yeah! cant wait for his GOTY list this year

MetalJesusRocks is the show for you!

never seen this one, checking out now...thanks!

That's Kyle Bosman. The perfect antidote to all those toxic "angry gamer" internet personalities that hide behind their cynicism.

(Except for Yahtzee, who I think is the only one who pulls it off with enough wit to still be worthwhile.)

also, agreed on all counts here

Sick of this circling the wagons mentality.

To be fair, we here on NeoGAF behave in pretty much the same way. When he see GAF being painted in a bad light collectively, we lash out and circle the wagons as it is the logical thing to do. When journalists see their profession being referred to as a joke and they are being accused of being shills collectively, they will circle the wagons. Condemning whole forums or whole professions with little to no discrimination will inevitably lead to people choosing sides and circling the wagons. Ironically, in these last few weeks approaching launch the one thing that is missing from both the journalist and forum side is balance.

koji kabuto

Summary:

1. Ignored the 500-600 MFLOP power difference and attributed resolutiongate to "drivers"
  2. Didn't acknowledge that he was wrong to spread a lie without properly researching first
  3. Lumped everybody who criticized him into "Sony Defense Force"
  4. Thinks he's "contributing" to the industry
What can I say about this man that hasn't already been said?

Ha! 4th one is really funny,But I guess if your life is all about kissing gaming companies representatives ass's to get free stuff then you will have to lie to yourself about what you are really doing..you know..to help you sleep at night, Problem start when you believe the lie.

Can't wait for the ad revenue bubble to burst and half these people go out of work. I'm tired of being called entitled cause I'm pissed I paid $60 bucks on a shit game that the "journalists" in the industry gave perfect scores too.

Or have these people drop critic hints about happening in the game industry on twitter and cause a shit storm over nothing.

nomis

He actually worked in the industry on the PR/marketing end. He's contributed more than than your average forum poster who is just a step above the majority of our illustrious gaming press who only helped to regress the spreading of information compared to what the press used to do in the 90s. We are more objective than them but we don't actually do anything other than to call out bullshit. You're doing a good job of living up to the standard of being a below average forum poster.

Wait... PR is a contribution now? PR is damage control.

Perhaps my substandard status is owed to my post having nothing much to say other than annoyance with Beer. Angst has no value, at least I have no delusions of grandeur.

Knox

"Annoyed Gamer"

*cringe*

This guy has a show because he can string sentences together with an accent, which for some reason makes idiots think he know's what he's talking about. He's a poor man's TotalBiscuit, and TotalBiscuit fucking sucks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
He said it was a rumor, why should he apologize over a rumor? Look up the definition of a rumor before stating this, it is neither true or false, just gossip. Now if he had stated it as a fact, I would be on the bandwagon with you sir.

Because he should realise he has a lot of people watching heia show. His words have weight. So he needs to exercise responsibility in what he says. He often does the 'i'm not a journalist' line, but that doesn't give him freedom to spout any old shit.

artist

Banned
Because he should realise he has a lot of people watching heia show. His words have weight. So he needs to exercise responsibility in what he says. He often does the 'i'm not a journalist' line, but that doesn't give him freedom to spout any old shit.
Heck even the "anonymous" insders here have bigger standards when it comes to posting rumors.

Jabba

Banned
Why the hell do so many gaming journalists have less knowledge about what they are talking than random people on NeoGAF?

So he sais that Xbox One runs games at 720p because it uses "10%" of its processing resources for Kinect and that this is due to unoptimized drivers? Yeah, he "reads" up on stuff....

Your first point is scary part. Especially, when interacting from a position of "authority"
These journas are afraid of losing audiences to places like GAF. They all know GAF is a place to find truth about this industry. As many have said there are some great discussions/input on any and all subjects related.

Perhaps Evilore should challenge some of these gaming personalities to actually READ the threads on GAF. Many here, DO take the time to read/watch a gaming personalitys view on a subject. Why else on earth would there be intelligent responses to the subjects at hand?

Because there's NO REAL interest in discussing well thought out viewpoints, unless they bolster/agree with the journas own viewpoint, as others have pointed out.

And lately, there's been plenty to discuss.

Guerilla

Summary:

1. Ignored the 500-600 MFLOP power difference and attributed resolutiongate to "drivers"
  2. Didn't acknowledge that he was wrong to spread a lie without properly researching first
  3. Lumped everybody who criticized him into "Sony Defense Force"
  4. Thinks he's "contributing" to the industry
What can I say about this man that hasn't already been said?

The first one was the most annoying to me. He. couldn't. stop. making. excuses. He kept doing it for minutes.

Ding-Ding

If they addressed the good posts then they would have to concede they are mistaken. Instead, they only focus on the (reprehensible) troll posts and get to play the victim without conceding any of their disproven points.

That is exactly what the problem is. Like every topic floating on around the internet, there will always be users that take the argument to the extreme.

These so called journalist though are using them as a diversion and as a means to try to discredit the argument put against them.

Its such an easy out for them. Simply say "not getting into this debate as this is the kind of idiot questioning me"

AppleMIX

Can't wait for the ad revenue bubble to burst and half these people go out of work. I'm tired of being called entitled cause I'm pissed I paid $60 bucks on a shit game that the "journalists" in the industry gave perfect scores too.

Or have these people drop critic hints about happening in the game industry on twitter and cause a shit storm over nothing.

You live in a day and age where you have almost any information literally at the tip of your finger. If you don't trust reviews, you can look at tons of gameplay footage uploaded on the internet.

wildfire

Banned
Wait... PR is a contribution now? PR is damage control.

Perhaps my substandard status is owed to my post having nothing much to say other than annoyance with Beer. Angst has no value, at least I have no delusions of grandeur.

So companies don't need that? We haven't had companies raise our ire because of things they said? You don't think PR hasn't at any point acted as an idiot check filter that helped shape company policy?

Besides PR also does more than damage control. They can help act as an efficient bridge between devs/publishers and their customers once the audience grows to large for them to handle directly and still do their work (unless they are Valve who doesn't believe in PR and still ended up with the Diretide debacle by accident)

PR is synonymous with community management.

Also he did marketing which is the primary means in which we can find out about the games we are interested in.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's been well known that Microsoft shited on rare long before gaf made a thread about it
Yes but he didn't say shit until after the GAF thread. Saying he's right or spot-on about Rare is attributing something to him that shouldn't be attributed to him. At least he doesn't think of himself as a journalist (at least he didn't, I don't know if that has changed).

MarcusBeer said:
If I called myself a journalist then that is pretty stupid. I am part of the games media, but I don't have skills to do what some of these folks do. I am an 'opinionist' I guess?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=73192261&highlight=#post73192261

dalin80

Banned
The first one was the most annoying to me. He. couldn't. stop. making. excuses. He kept doing it for minutes.

I just got an old Panasonic Toughbook running again with it's mighty pentium 2, I can't wait for the drivers to be updated out so I can play X-rebirth!

Top Bottom