• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any service that ships authentic NYC tap water?

I think the other ingredients matter a whole lot more than the tap water

Sorry, OP, that your pizza sucks so much that you feel that you need blame the tap water

How much you willing to spend fam? My brother lives in Manhattan so you can get some of that really good shit. I could have him put some in a few bottles and FedEx it to you.

Hahahhaha.

No, I'm actually serious. I mean, if you are.

Are you?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
NYC pizza tastes like that Mac and Manco crap on the boardwalks.

EcyOHm7.gif

Best pizza I've had was in South Jersey - pretty much any place named Fabrizio's, Angelos, Carollos or some other Italian-sounding name is the best. One or two store owned places with the same owner bouncing back and forth between them all day long checking all the stuff all the time.

Once you get into chains, it's over.

rjinaz

Sounds like easy money for a native. Fill water bottles with tap. Ship with Priority Mail so there are no weight limits. Profit.

Dynomutt

Sounds like easy money for a native. Fill water bottles with tap. Ship with Priority Mail so there are no weight limits. Profit.

An entire franchise is already pushing it as their secret ingredient so...it's possible!

New York taste. Neighborhood flavor.

What does New York-style pizza in Arizona taste like?

Amazing dough made from scratch every day. Hand-tossed pies baked to perfection in classic stone ovens. Sauces made from family recipes, California vine-ripened tomatoes, and secret blends of spices. Whole-milk mozzarella that is made for us exclusively. Plus our secret ingredient – water filtered exactly as it is in New York, which is why bagels and pizza there have such a distinctive East Coast flavor.

https://www.aznypdpizza.com/about

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Y'all are talking like the OP is nuts but I have a friend that moved out to California and tells me it is impossible to get good pizza crust there due to the water.

So this isn't just a one person thing.

I am sure the huge state of California completely lacks good pizza

dafortune

I heard this was bs for pizza but actually true for bagels. I mis NYC tap water though, much more drinkable than any other place I've been to (Denver was pretty good too)

ThisGuy

Huh, I always thought new York pizza was a bullshit ego trip.

But does this mean pizza will taste differently between states?

'Made with tap water shipped directly from NYC' sounds like some hipster joint nonsense where they charge you twice as much for a pie and people trick themselves into thinking it's better because it's 'authentic'.

clav

Just eat Costco pizza.

Costco pizza dough is supposedly made with NYC water.

New York pizza fanatics will claim that the city's signature water is a crucial ingredient in the dough. Costco agrees. It purchases its dough from a Brooklyn-based distributor who delivers it daily, then it rests and proofs before being layered in olive oil (power fact: Costco is the world's largest retailer of olive oil) and loaded into a flattening machine that presses it with 130 degrees of heat for seven seconds to ensure a uniform thickness.

There is a difference in tap water: the best water I know is from a small town that filters it through sand, basically spring water. Any larger city will probably have worse water, and NYC would probably be relatively bad (for a western, sanitized city).

Either way, water spoils. I don't think you can ship it for very long before it will taste differently.

Ok so everyone is baggin on OP here, but as a homebrewer, water chemistry is key. OP, I suggest taking a look at some brewing water chemistry spreadsheets. Bru'n Water is a good one. You'd need to know the basic PPM of most minerals in your own water, and then use the spreadsheet to build up a water profile for your NY style water. Pick a NY brewery and clone their water.

You can also build water from scratch by starting with distilled or reverse osmosis water.

KHarvey16

You can identify all the differences you want in the composition of the water. Test after test has shown that whatever contribution any of that has is imperceptible and easily dwarfed by differences in recipes and methods.

riotous

Banned
Put a PUR filter on your tap and use that.

Seattle itself has incredibly "pure" tap water. Ive actually measured it. Seattle owns the waterway between the glaciers in the mountains and the city.

Its similar in that regard to NYC.

Pre filtering the water from my tap has about 30ppm total desolved solids.

Makai

Secret recipe for NYC water: Don't TELL ANYONE.

One parts dead rat

2 parts lead

1 fluid oz. water

15 fluid oz. recycled sewage

1 12 volt duralast car battery (it can't be Interstate, that gives you Chicago water)

Let sit 3 days in open air outside to fully tepid

bam one bottle of NYC water.

I supose you're from NY, OP, maybe try to pee on the dough

^

akira28

EWG Tap water database for new york city says the naturally occurring contaminants include:

Chromium (total)
Nitrate and nitrite
Nitrate
Strontium
Chromium (hexavalent)

or maybe look into whatever minerals are in the water and try to recreate it like the bagel shop and their "water Brooklynizer".

DrBo42

Good thin crust pizza aka the best version of pizza is hard to find in Seattle. I want to try making it myself but read somewhere that the tap water in NYC is one of the reasons that the version in NYC is unique.

Thinking about a trusted service only since it's easy for me to get scammed with regular tap water. Don't want to throw $100 down the drain literally.

The water thing is bullshit. The keys are how hot the oven is, ingredients you use and how long you age the dough. Keep it in the fridge to ferment for like 3 days and then make it.

Top Bottom