• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any service that ships authentic NYC tap water?

Yeah, NYC does have amazing tap water. And it does make your food taste better-- if your cooking actually uses a lot of water. Soups taste better. Noodles, rice, etc cooked with water taste better. But for pizza dough?... No.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I need to try some NY pizza but all the hype makes me think I'm gonna get let down.

Just make sure you get a recommendation and double check on Yelp that it's a good pizza place. Way too many people come to NY, get a dollar slice in Times Square (which tastes like Little Caesars) then think they've been lied to.

Interested to hear about the other places that top it in variety.

Whats with you Americans and your bloody variety. Theres enough depth and variety in one single culinary culture to last you a lifetime. But I guess this is not so obvious when you are bombarded with the same 3 dishes per culture all your life.

Quality>quantity and NYC as far as big cities go in terms of overall quality when put in a worldwide ranking its just so-so, even though its high end culinary scene is world class.

KHarvey16

That is not what I said, read again.

I think it is. Any person can come up with some internal filtering logic to reduce the food quality in any city to whatever they want. If an argument relies on food in X or Y city being average, anyone can come up with conditions to make that happen. Especially given the impossibility of ever quantifying the average quality of food in any given city.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm from NYC. I can confirm that our tap water is indeed the greatest. And by extension, our pizza and bagels too.

ExVicis

Wait I thought that water thing was a joke about how NYC brags about having the best everything, that's true?

Goddamn guys get over your hubris. NYC Pizza is the most overrated Pizza I've ever had.

I've been to Italy multiple times and had the best pizza there. I went to NYC and the place I went beat anything else I have ever had before and I couldn't believe it. Subjective, but there is real good pizza in NYC.
Which part? If it was Naples I don't believe you, I've had both NYC and Neopolitan Pizza and Neopolitan Pizza makes NYC Pizza taste like someone tried to make a meal out of garbage by comparison.

If it was Rome, or anywhere North of Rome though, I'd believe that.

I think it is. Any person can come up with some internal filtering logic to reduce the food quality in any city to whatever they want. If an argument relies on food in X or Y city being average, anyone can come up with conditions to make that happen. Especially given the impossibility of ever quantifying the average quality of food in any given city.

I thought it was pretty clear what I said was that EVEN THOUGHT the high end cuisine is world class, if you add the high end cuisine to everything else as an agregate the food scene comes out as average, this in the context of talking about "food scene" and therefore im not addibg any qualifier. Im just plainly saying the food is average. Not filtering anything.

I dont think you will find anyone argue high end NYC food is average when taken alone, but thats not what I responded to.

Back in 2003, when I was in community college (in Brooklyn), my history professor told me he saw another professor filling up empty milk jugs with water in the faculty lounge. When he asked him what he was doing, he answered that he was getting drinking water to take home and remarked "You have such great water here!". Said professor commuted in from out of state.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
good luck in your search, this is a good idea

pizza is pretty much garbage almost everywhere in the world but here

Shanlei91

I thought it was pretty clear what I said was that EVEN THOUGHT the high end cuisine is world class, if you add the high end cuisine to everything else as an agregate the food scene comes out as average, this in the context of talking about "food scene" and therefore im not addibg any qualifier. Im just plainly saying the food is average. Not filtering anything.

I dont think you will find anyone argue high end NYC food is average when taken alone, but thats not what I responded to.

The country is a hodgepodge of different ethnicities and cultures, NYC being an enormous hub and its food scene being a shrine to that idea. Chefs flock here to participate in that and as result we boast both quality and quantity.

We've got amazing lowtier, midtier and hightier food littered throughout the city. That is the "food scene". You can't downplay their existence because the city is also littered with stale pizza joints, nasty hole in the walls, franchise restaurants and garbage locations. They exist for the original purpose of selling food, which is sustenance and income. We live in an age where information is at our fingertips, it's incredibly easy to ignore and avoid those places. It's silly to lump that all together.

Also, we've got shrimp in our water.

The country is a hodgepodge of different ethnicities and cultures, NYC being an enormous hub and its food scene being a shrine to that idea. Chefs flock here to participate in that and as result we boast both quality and quantity.

We've got amazing lowtier, midtier and hightier food littered throughout the city. That is the "food scene". You can't downplay their existence because the city is also littered with stale pizza joints, nasty hole in the walls, franchise restaurants and garbage locations. They exist for the original purpose of selling food, which is sustenance and income. We live in an age where information is at our fingertips, it's incredibly easy to ignore and avoid those places. It's silly to lump that all together.

Also, we've got shrimp in our water.

Any person can come up with some internal filtering logic to increase the food quality in any city to whatever they want.(this is when you say it Kharvey)

nyc is not the only enormous cultural hub, it is one of many and in fact is one of the newest ones, therefore having less time to develop.

What you are saying anyone can say about Paris, Rome, Tokyo, Madrid, Barcelona, Hong Kong, etc.

ExVicis

Are you telling me I can sell my tap water. That's what I'm getting out of this OP.

Not even just that, just put some crustaceans in a bottle of water and sell that. Apparently it's the best water ever if you have that in your water.

nitewulf

I've never met a pizza in New York which wasn't proclaimed the best pizza.

I can get the same shit in Boston.

I do not know about "any" NYC pizza, but given NYC, you can walk into any pizzeria at midnight, in a hipster neighborhood (Greenpoint, Bed Stuy, Williamsburg) and get an amazingly fresh slice of pizza, straight off the oven. Any average NYC pizza is very good.

That doesn't mean you can't get similar quality in Boston. Neither does it mean that these average good/great slices are the best in NYC. That's a VERY subjective issue. Most people LOVE the plain cheese slice from a typical pizzeria. While I do like that, it's not my favorite. I love a simple, well done Margherita slice. And that's not a traditional NYC style. But do we have great Margherita here? You bet your ass we do.

Also most people seem to be wholly uninformed about NYC tap water. The water comes from huge reservations upstate, by Catskills and Adirondack mountain ranges. Where the water is stored, gravity is used to bring it into the city, then old school system is used: the water is rotated at high speeds to extract the crap out of it, at water filtration facilities, then distributed via pipes to buildings. It's very good quality mountain water. I still filter it using my fridge.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/drinking_water/maplevels_wide.shtml

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Good thin crust pizza aka the best version of pizza is hard to find in Seattle. I want to try making it myself but read somewhere that the tap water in NYC is one of the reasons that the version in NYC is unique.

Thinking about a trusted service only since it's easy for me to get scammed with regular tap water. Don't want to throw $100 down the drain literally.

It would legitimately easier to just get a water profile and add the trace elements to match. It's not even hard. Brewers have been doing this for decades when necessary to make, for example, legit Pilsners because the water in the original Pils is very soft.

I thought the tap water thing was bogus.

A pizza crust where the trace elements in the water are a readily identifiable difference is probably completely flavorless to begin with. It's food voodoo.

nitewulf

What you are saying anyone can say about Paris, Rome, Tokyo, Madrid, Barcelona, Hong Kong, etc.
You would be more right about south american countries like Peru and modern Nordic cuisine in cities like Copenhagen. Barcelona food isn't much to write home about. Average NYC food is very good, but you would have to stay here at least 3 weeks travel to all the boroughs and seek out the food. Manhattan tourist neighborhoods are typically pretty bad for judging "average" NYC cuisine (except chinatown and ktown). Your statement is pretty wrong and I'm not a vocal New Yorker when it comes to these things.

Example, tacos el pastor apparently is pretty exotic. The taco truck one block from my house in brooklyn has these tacos, made to order:

Suadero
El Pastor
Carne Enchilada
Carnitas
Cecina
Asada
Chorizo
Tinga
Barbacoa
Lengua
Camaron
Tilapia
Cabeza
Tripa
Pollo
Bistec

Amazing fast food prepared in minutes.

Sanjuro

I do not know about "any" NYC pizza, but given NYC, you can walk into any pizzeria at midnight, in a hipster neighborhood (Greenpoint, Bed Stuy, Williamsburg) and get an amazingly fresh slice of pizza, straight off the oven. Any average NYC pizza is very good.

That doesn't mean you can't get similar quality in Boston. Neither does it mean that these average good/great slices are the best in NYC. That's a VERY subjective issue. Most people LOVE the plain cheese slice from a typical pizzeria. While I do like that, it's not my favorite. I love a simple, well done Margherita slice. And that's not a traditional NYC style. But do we have great Margherita here? You bet your ass we do.

Also most people seem to be wholly uninformed about NYC tap water. The water comes from huge reservations upstate, by Catskills and Adirondack mountain ranges. Where the water is stored, gravity is used to bring it into the city, then old school system is used: the water is rotated at high speeds to extract the crap out of it, at water filtration facilities, then distributed via pipes to buildings. It's very good quality mountain water. I still filter it using my fridge.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/drinking_water/maplevels_wide.shtml

Like others mentioned, it's the large number of lousy joints that bring it down a few, but also New Haven wins in the end.

I still do want to get a gang of pizza sluts to try that giant pizza in Yonkers though.

Shanlei91

I just looked up "giant pizza Yonkers" and I must look like a kid on Christmas morning while browsing these pics.

3CMgfu6.jpg

Looks like Pizza Barn is only an hour bus ride away. Gotta plan to go there and then get a colonoscopy the following week.

Sanjuro

I just looked up "giant pizza Yonkers" and I must look like a kid on Christmas morning while browsing these pics.

3CMgfu6.jpg

Looks like Pizza Barn is only an hour bus ride away. Gotta plan to go there and then get a colonoscopy the following week.

It looks amazing.

Sorry guys although I am from NY, I have been around the country and while most pizza is good, NY does have the best. I also admit I fucking love Chicago deep dish pizza. Also surprisingly in the area around Detroit they have really good pizza as well. I don't know if it's the tap water in NY but it generally does taste better than anywhere else in the country.

You would be more right about south american countries like Peru and modern Nordic cuisine in cities like Copenhagen. Barcelona food isn't much to write home about. Average NYC food is very good, but you would have to stay here at least 3 weeks travel to all the boroughs and seek out the food. Manhattan tourist neighborhoods are typically pretty bad for judging "average" NYC cuisine (except chinatown and ktown). Your statement is pretty wrong and I'm not a vocal New Yorker when it comes to these things.

Example, tacos el pastor apparently is pretty exotic. The taco truck one block from my house in brooklyn has these tacos, made to order:

Suadero
El Pastor
Carne Enchilada
Carnitas
Cecina
Asada
Chorizo
Tinga
Barbacoa
Lengua
Camaron
Tilapia
Cabeza
Tripa
Pollo
Bistec

Amazing fast food prepared in minutes.

I cant believe I just read someone say barcelonas food is nothing to write home about, and Fucking Copenhagen lmao. This sounds like straight out of Google.

My dude, im currently touring Europe for 5 weeks, because thats what I do, I travel for fun(and therefore eat in thoae countries) I was just in Barcelona a couple of days ago and what you said made me spill my drink.

Then you finish off with another stereotipical example of the extent of what a new Yorker thinks constitutes Mexican food, fucking unreal.

Fast food is whats actually kills the food scene in America for me, because thats the standard expected in the US.

My statement is not wrong, in fact you just made the point for me. If I have to search for good food then the food scene failed to me.

Im currently in Rome and im pretty sure i can enter any of the restaurants between my hotel in Campo de fiori and Vatican city and get a really good quality meal, because thats what I have done for the last 5 days without cheking yelp or w/e and have had no issues.

On the other hand when I went to NYC some years ago I struggled to find good food. Mind you I did found it, but not as easily as here, I had to use apps and reviews.

nitewulf

I cant believe I just read someone say barcelonas food is nothing to write home about, and Fucking Copenhagen lmao. This sounds like straight out of Google.
yes my dude, because, like, no new yorker has been to barcelona:

https://pix.sfly.com/w1Or9_

and OMG the Copenhagen food scene sucks so much! its not like Noma is rated the best restaurant in the world:

https://pix.sfly.com/7Kocdw

Its not like I spent so much money at Amass (how could I as a poor new yorker?) that they gave me free wine and let me watch the sunset from their backyard garden:

https://pix.sfly.com/Ri7Ycd

Preacher

Are their really people in this thread pretending that the food scene and tap water in NYC is bad?

Kids from NYC have to drink through filtered bottles when they leave because the surrounding areas have significantly worse quality.
And we have pizza shops all over the place that sell pizza for like a dollar along with other foodstuffs.

So when I hear people shit talking the food scene in NYC, I can only question their sanity, because if our food sucks then the rest of America must be eating like kings.

Planx

riotous

Banned
yes my dude, because, like, no new yorker has been to barcelona:

https://pix.sfly.com/w1Or9_

and OMG the Copenhagen food scene sucks so much! its not like Noma is rated the best restaurant in the world:

https://pix.sfly.com/7Kocdw

Its not like I spent so much money at Amass (how could I as a poor new yorker?) that they gave me free wine and let me watch the sunset from their backyard garden:

https://pix.sfly.com/Ri7Ycd

lol.. were you going for douchey? Because you nailed it.

Top Bottom