• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any service that ships authentic NYC tap water?

EYEL1NER

A guy who runs a delicatessen here in town has all of the meat he uses trucked down from NYC. This is a small town in SC and he is an old dude who is from NYC; it isn't some hipster joint. He swears by NYC water though and says that his meat has to touch NYC water to get that authentic NYC taste. The meat is also of a fantastic quality anyway though; another reason he trucks his meat down is because he said none of the local meat is up to his standards. It is absolutely great food; I love the corned beef sandwiches, franks with mustard/onions/peppers, and knishes. He's also seems like an awesome guy, very friendly. So I'm not gonna bother telling him that the 'NYC water' thing is bunk.

The idea of someone getting water shipped to them before they even have their first attempt at making the recipe is hilarious.

Like, what will your point of comparison be to see if it made any difference?

MoeDabs

A guy who runs a delicatessen here in town has all of the meat he uses trucked down from NYC. This is a small town in SC and he is an old dude who is from NYC; it isn't some hipster joint. He swears by NYC water though and says that his meat has to touch NYC water to get that authentic NYC taste. The meat is also of a fantastic quality anyway though; another reason he trucks his meat down is because he said none of the local meat is up to his standards. It is absolutely great food; I love the corned beef sandwiches, franks with mustard/onions/peppers, and knishes. He's also seems like an awesome guy, very friendly. So I'm not gonna bother telling him that the 'NYC water' thing is bunk.

Ok.

Vice

Wait so how does the tap water make it better?
Some people believe some of the minerals in the water have an effect on the taste. If so, it's probably one of the smallest components of the flavor though since they would be measured in parts per million or billion.

Wag

Buys Brooklyn Water Bagels. Eats Brooklyn Water Bagels. No Brooklyn Water in Brooklyn Water Bagels? I demand a refund!!!

JackEtc

Everyone in here that says NYC water being GOAT is bogus has never had a baconeggandcheese on a bagel from the bodega and known what that water does to any sort of bread, ignorance is bliss tho

shout out to the shrimp

But the fact you want to import water to try to learn how to make a recipe, thats a little much LMAO

that's like saying "I want to try starting a youtube channel, lemme buy a camera"

KoopaTheCasual

Glad people are in the know about that being bunk. Proofing method is far more important. And of course the ingredients. From my understanding warm proofing is a big part of it. Don't forget wheat.

Pizza is my life and NY pizza is my mecca. The whole range of NY slices. Honestly though I'd almost kill for the entire recipe and process for the dirt cheap 2 bros slice.
It's method. Cali is about toppings. Don't care about the skin. Skin sauce and cheese are the fundamentals. Skin is the foundation. Good pizza is centered on this. Cali is not.
This man understands me.

Also just had 2Bros today. I weep for people that have to pay over $1 for a great slice of pizza.

JackEtc

This man understands me.

Also just had 2Bros today. I weep for people that have to pay over $1 for a great slice of pizza.

2Bros is not what I would qualify as "great" new york pizza....it'll get the job done but it's basically just cheese on half-cooked dough most of the time b/c of how fast they crank out pies

my favorite $1 slice is on bleaker and macdougal, Percy's Pizza. Hole in the wall. Crispy and greasy as hell. HIGHLY recommended

but most of the time you're paying anywhere from 2-2.75 for a good-ass plain slice I'd say.

z2XUXMs.gif

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Seems needlessly obsessive. Pizza has like thirty total ingredients, if you make it from scratch. Put more money into things you'll actually taste.

Water, flour, yeast, salt. Yeah, almost thirty. But lol, water doesn't change pizza. It's all about the ratio of water and flour, the time you work the dough, the time you let it rest, the way you spread it and the amount of heat. Also Thin Crust is worst pizza because it gets cold after two minutes out of the oven.

milanbaros

Member?
Good thin crust pizza aka the best version of pizza is hard to find in Seattle. I want to try making it myself but read somewhere that the tap water in NYC is one of the reasons that the version in NYC is unique.

Thinking about a trusted service only since it's easy for me to get scammed with regular tap water. Don't want to throw $100 down the drain literally.

The water is the last thing you need to worry about. If you can get to the point that the only difference is the water then you're doing pretty good.

Maximus.

Is NYC pizza really better than pizza from Italy itself? I had pizza from Naples and that is the peak in my opinion

I've been to Italy multiple times and had the best pizza there. I went to NYC and the place I went beat anything else I have ever had before and I couldn't believe it. Subjective, but there is real good pizza in NYC.

I think of the Italians are able to make great authentic *actual* thin crust pizza without NYC water, you should be okay. Unless you like being suckered into stuff.

(Though every think crust pizza I tried in NYC was still 3-4 times thicker than a thin Italian one :'( )

KadeYuy

Seattle has a ton of pizza places I'm sure there is at least one that will scratch that itch until you can go back to NY.

Try hot mommas or big Mario's or Italian family pizza. Not nearly as cheap as a NY slice but they should do.

Tigress

Have you tried Sbarro?

Sbarro, really?

As I said before, Brooklyn Brothers Pizza. It's north of Seattle (everett and mukilteo and not sure if they have any other locations) but worth the drive if you really want NY pizza (the everett one is the better location honestly and has a neat game store right next door). And the place is purists themselves (makes my husband happy, he's the kind of pizza snob that gets upset at non traditional toppings on pizza... he loves that they advertise that they do not do pineapple or ham on pizza and only have traditional toppings. Personally I think it's a little elitist but they do make a good pizza).

I never understood why my husband refused to call Papa John's (or other fast food pizza) pizza... I'm like even if you think it's bad it's still pizza. Then I tried it and couldn't eat fast food pizza and call it pizza cause then I compared it to good pizza and it made me not want to eat it. I mean he was on a campaign to find decent NY style pizza somewhere and it took a few places til we found that place. And good pizza definitely is in another class over other pizza (never really loved pizza but thought it was ok until he found that place. On the other hand he likes pizza more than me but I have more tolerance for crappy pizza).

Davidion

New York : and its fucking Pizza :: Los Angeles : and fucking In-N-Out

We're not THAT obsessed with our Pizza. OP aside.

Yo what the fuck now New Yorkers are trying to claim that even their damn tap water is superior? lol

What's the big surprise? Tap water's gross in a lot of places.

I don't know NYC's is more "superior" than a lot of major municipalities, but to say that NYC's water is excellent and better than most isn't a stretch.

Tigress

We're not THAT obsessed with our Pizza.

What's the big surprise? Tap water's gross in a lot of places.

I don't know NYC's is more "superior" than a lot of major municipalities, but to say that NYC's water is excellent and better than most isn't a stretch.

The only tap water I really detest and won't drink (without flavoring added) is Florida's. When we went to visit florida every year I'd make my parents buy gatorade powder to stick in the water to mask the taste. Shoot honestly I prefer tap water over most bottled waters (like Evian I know I find nasty. My high school friend used to drink it all the time and wouldn't drink tap and she would serve it at her house - that was when I was in Atlanta - and I neer understood it cause tap tasted so much better imho).

The tap water in my house is not that great but I think it's the house as the apartment I had before it I was fine with.

meow

NYC has really good tasting tap water. I'm reminded everytime I cross into Jersey for the airport and the water suddenly tastes way worse.

they do but it aint b/c of the water

Una Pizza Napoletana in San Francisco

2Bros is not what I would qualify as "great" new york pizza....it'll get the job done but it's basically just cheese on half-cooked dough most of the time b/c of how fast they crank out pies

my favorite $1 slice is on bleaker and macdougal, Percy's Pizza. Hole in the wall. Crispy and greasy as hell. HIGHLY recommended

but most of the time you're paying anywhere from 2-2.75 for a good-ass plain slice I'd say.

I really enjoy the pizza from NY Pizza Suprema, I think that's the name, on the corner of 8th and 31 right outside Penn. I was shocked it wasn't some dumpster of a pizza considering it's location.

I need to find a good and cheap place near my office (right near Chelsea Market). Only thing I've seen while walking is Artichoke and I refuse to go there.

jtb

Banned
Tap water in NYC is godly. But I don't think that has anything to do with how good the food is?

Also, OP is right. Seattle pizza (food in general) is TRASH

Davidion

The only tap water I really detest and won't drink (without flavoring added) is Florida's. When we went to visit florida every year I'd make my parents buy gatorade powder to stick in the water to mask the taste. Shoot honestly I prefer tap water over most bottled waters (like Evian I know I find nasty. My high school friend used to drink it all the time and wouldn't drink tap and she would serve it at her house - that was when I was in Atlanta - and I neer understood it cause tap tasted so much better imho).

The tap water in my house is not that great but I think it's the house as the apartment I had before it I was fine with.

Yeah I have to imagine that most larger cities have significantly better water processing in place.

For me, it's possible that a big part of it is being able to notice that the water tastes significantly different. Every time I have some water in a restaurant or bar the reminder comes fast and hard.

And yes, some bottle waters are..unpleasant. I agree with you on Evian; it tastes a bit too mineral...filled.

All NYC water is actually from reservoirs in upstate New York.

NYC has its own agency, the DEP, that not only manages things in NYC but in a bunch of small towns in upstate New York.

Omadahl

Banned
If you live in Seattle can't you just crush up some shrimp into your tap water and pretend it's from NYC? This whole idea of needing specific water is stupid.

Gallbaro

Banned
Yeah I have to imagine that most larger cities have significantly better water processing in place.

For me, it's possible that a big part of it is being able to notice that the water tastes significantly different. Every time I have some water in a restaurant or bar the reminder comes fast and hard.

And yes, some bottle waters are..unpleasant. I agree with you on Evian; it tastes a bit too mineral...filled.
Lol you would think. NYC only recently had any kind of filtration put in place. For most of your life here you have been drinking fresh mountain water including bear shit.

All NYC water is actually from reservoirs in upstate New York.

NYC has its own agency, the DEP, that not only manages things in NYC but in a bunch of small towns in upstate New York.

Yup having moved away from new york i miss how sweet the water tastes, i live in shit hole america where the water is hyper chlorinated and leaves stain marks on tile.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
New York : and its fucking Pizza :: Los Angeles : and fucking In-N-Out

I think the Californian equivalent is mexican food.

I am Mexican American, yet multiple different californians try to lecture me on what good mexican food is. Maybe you can get them to admit there is good mexican food in mexico.

spock

There's a myth busters episode on this I think. It's actually legit. It has to do with how NYC water flows from upstate and picks up a unique mineral composition as it gets to the city.

Top Bottom