• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As much as Sony is shit on about PSN, rightifully so. They did get one thing right

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have to disagree. Y'all must be starved for digital sales because I haven't ever seen a decent sale price when these sales come up.

Come on now, that's just wrong and you know it. Just the last 3 weeks and still continuing of Holiday sales are worth it alone.

AlexBasch

Xbox is doing a lot better in my country, but it has more to do with the US dollar pricing and whatnot.

Selling us GTA5 for $75 in regular price is just bullshit, though.

Rathorial

For consoles they are being the most aggressive, and are doing a decent job...but I only tend to buy exclusives because PC sales still regularly beat them on multi-plat stuff.

Head.spawn

If you guys think Xbox sales have been bad, what games in particular are you talking about?

-Multiplatform games see like-for-like sale prices on both platforms.
-Their first party games are heavily discounted, including all of their fall line-up.

What exactly am I missing here?

Better than Steam for years now.

Games have been cheaper on PSN than Steam?

Also worth noting, when Steam goes on sale, every other digital code store provider does as well so you can actually shop around and use said codes on Steam.

ActWan

I don't actually remember the last time sales on PSN were that good.
Bought so many games, and thought to myself "Did Steam somehow get to consoles aswell?".

pbayne

Also, this is always on sale.

8PbkBZm.jpg

Your move, MS/Nintendo.

Its fucking always on sale on the eshop as well. Id be amazed if anyone ever paid full price for it.

sTiTcH AU

If you guys think Xbox sales have been bad, what games in particular are you talking about?

-Their first party games are heavily discounted, including all of their fall line-up.

Pretty much this. Although in my experience on the AU stores, PSN sale prices for multiplatform games are usually a few dollars more compared to XBL (at least all the games I have been interested in).

Yep, before the PS4 era the sales on PSN in my region (Australia) were virtually nonexistent. As soon as the PS4 launched we started seeing some fantastic genuine sales that suddenly made digital not only viable but desirable.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well they have the most content and the biggest userbase - so its easier for them to have non stop sales.

Slayven

Comments like this are funny. You do realize that there are literally thousands of games on sale on Steam right now?

Sony's holiday sale, while great, can't even compare to Steam.

Steam's sales ain't what they use to be. You could get some crazy deals on flash and dailies.

Yeah, I would've never thought I'd go full digital this year but here I am. Bought so many games, and I'm so happy I can afford them now. The Canadian dollar being garbage doesn't help at all, but these deals are helping.

It's not the best but it's there when needed, and I'll wait longer for other desired games to drop in price. They gave out cash and also discount codes. That's pretty cool on their part.

Now where's my R&C sale?!

Alienfan

Nope. Their digital prices for indies are generally $10 more for me than what I pay for Xbox, so when sales happen, the savings aren't that great. As for AAA digital game sales, they're still not as great as steam or Xbox

BriGuy

"As much as Sony is (rightfully) shit on for PSN, they at least got flash sales right."

I fixed your thread title, OP. I agree though.

wtd2009

yep, my library is massive now thanks to those. i own a bunch of ps4 games...and i haven't even purchased a ps4 simply because they've sold so many games for 5-10 dollars. hard to top that ever.

I feel like they're still playing catch-up with Steam, but it does seem like the console manufacturers are moving away from the "RRP or bust" model now. It's been a long time coming.

Krakin

Both MS and Sony learned from Valve that people will impulse buy digital games like crazy that they wouldn't have normally given a look for the right price.

Sadly Nintendo still doesn't get this.

This is so true. I was very reluctant about buying Bloodborne because of my Christian beliefs but seeing such a high profile game at $9.99. I just couldn't help myself.

jayvo

I got Inside cheaper on PSN than its ever been on Steam. My brother didn't believe me until I literally showed him the email receipt.

I will admit that I haven't compared this specific game between PSN and Steam, but PSN overall being better than Steam is laughable. What other game besides Inside.

Orca

People that say that kind of thing are generally only users of one console or the other. Sales are basically identical between the two on third party titles.

People that say that kind of thing are generally only users of one console or the other. Sales are basically identical between the two on third party titles.

Agree

The plus on Sony are the incentives like spend $100 and get $15 back and discount coupons.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've picked up stuff I wouldn't have normally played due to great PS store sales. The flash sale this week is kind of weak, IMO. But the holiday sale has a few things I was waiting for, like the discount on the Battlefront season pass.

Demoskinos

I just wish like steam I could snag something that is on sale on the PSN store and gift it to a friend or something.

thelastword

Banned
Comments like this are funny. You do realize that there are literally thousands of games on sale on Steam right now?

Sony's holiday sale, while great, can't even compare to Steam.
Thousands of what? Games you're dying to play? I'm pretty sure bad rats and a million others are on sale if this is your metric.....

TheYanger

Games have been cheaper on PSN than Steam?

Also worth noting, when Steam goes on sale, every other digital code store provider does as well so you can actually shop around and use said codes on Steam.

You're largely missing the fact that people claiming Sony sales are vastly better than Xbox sales, are people that don't actually look at xbox sales.

Like, they're virtually identical when it comes to this this gen. Same prices for multiplats, heavily discounted first party.

Bowl0l

Correct, although Nintendo continues to lag the most, far behind the other two. But any criticism of Nintendo's [lack of] aggressiveness with digital sales brings out the hardcore defense force: "B-but mah Nintendo gamez hold their value, Nintendo values their IP." GTFO of here with what.

Well done by Sony and the third party publishers, I actually bought more digitally on PS4 this year than I did on Steam.
Don't forget Switch don't have b/c so NoA will have a blast selling their non-Select 3DS and WiiU games for up to 30% discount.

I will admit that I haven't compared this specific game between PSN and Steam, but PSN overall being better than Steam is laughable. What other game besides Inside.
I don't know, it's the only one I've actively followed. I use both and Steam sales really aren't what they used to be. It's living a lot off its reputation.

Yep main reason why I invested in the ps ecosystem. Been 100% digital last 2 years, purchased some 30 games between 5-20$ each.

Strange the others dont see this business model. They are killing it!

BigEmil

That's what I noticed too. Damn especially after 2014 the sales on PSN came up more consistent and more better and better deals.

When you compare it to about before 2014 you won't find sales as common or as good as now.

Top Bottom