• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As much as Sony is shit on about PSN, rightifully so. They did get one thing right

Good lord, people are actually saying PSN sales are better than Steam sales?

- Witcher 3 DLC is 40% off on PSN EU right now, only 25% off on Steam, and the Expansion Pass is 50% off on EU PSN while it's not on sale on Steam at all. GOTY Edition is price-matched.
- MGS5 is €15 on EU PSN, €17 on Steam
- No Man's Sky is €26 on EU PSN, €36 on Steam
- Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary is €8 on EU PSN, €14 on Steam
- Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition is €15 on EU PSN, €20 on Steam. What makes this worse is that the console version came out much later than the PC version, and it's still cheaper.
- Layers of Fear is €8 on EU PSN, €10 on Steam. Its DLC is €3.45 on EU PSN, €5 on Steam. Its complete edition is €10 on EU PSN, €13 on Steam.
- Murdered Soul Suspect is €5 on EU PSN, €7.49 on Steam

Yeah, Steam ain't all that great. The Steam client does have the ability to redeem keys from other sources which is why I really wish consoles also had one-time-use digital keys inside retail copies. But PSN is really great for what it is.

You're largely missing the fact that people claiming Sony sales are vastly better than Xbox sales, are people that don't actually look at xbox sales.

Like, they're virtually identical when it comes to this this gen. Same prices for multiplats, heavily discounted first party.

Yes

I think that's the part they're doing most wrong, actually. Just like Valve.

Sales devalue games in the eyes of the consumers, I wish they'd stop doing them.

Bite me.

I always use these sales to buy single player games, or mp games that are not worth full price like Overwatch. If that's devalueing games, oh well.

SkylineRKR

Yesterday I bought Valkyria Chronicles for 10 euros, and both TW3 expansions for about 17. And not done yet.

And if that fucking store made some sense, I would've found the expansions pass up front. Which would save me a few dimes

jdmonmou

I've been a Plus subscriber since PS4 launch but I've never been amazed at the sales that are on there. I guess it's probably because their best sales are for games I don't want.

Spinluck

OP is correct.

The only downside is that; like Steam sales, I'm buying a lot of shit that I won't ever find the time to play lol.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
About my only criticism is the $150-at-a-time limit on your PSN wallet. Ran into it twice this holiday season, trying to redeem PSN cards bought via Amazon instant, and not being able to because the wallet limit.

Basically, the wallet balance doesn't auto-update in all places on their servers instantly. I'd see the new balance via the PSN store just fine but would still be unable to redeem a new card because elsewhere in their system my balance was still too high to allow more. It would be cool if they increased the wallet limit to something like $250 or whatever.

A first world problem of the highest order.

Kurdel

Banned
This year they really stepped their game when it comes to sales. Those flash, weekly, and theme sales be killing it lately. The only thing they can improve on is by putting DLC on sale, and take away that five dollar limit when adding money to the wallet. If I need 80 cents I am not going to add five dollars.

Agreed.

yyr

I don't know about the best. I love Playstation sales as much as any other Sony gamer/Fanboy, however, I still think Xbox kills it with their sales more than Sony.

I disagree. I *wish* MS killed it with their sales more than Sony, because XB1 is my primary platform. And MS' sales have been pretty good sometimes. But really, nothing beats Sony's flash sales.

With the exception of the one happening right now, there is almost always something I feel I *have* to buy. And because a bunch of the stuff is cross-buy with Vita, it means there's even more value there. My PS4 is mostly loaded with flash sale pickups and PS+ games...

The $5 minimum is a PITA but I understand why it's there. Every time there's a credit card transaction, the merchant pays a fee. The fee is usually a small set amount PLUS a percentage. If someone only charges $1-2, the merchant's profit margin gets drastically cut or eliminated completely. It does more harm than good, really, and only benefits the credit card companies. They don't need the money as much as the merchant does, especially if they're a small business. So think about that before charging a $2 cup of coffee, and always have a bit of cash with you =)

Past

I never understood why Microsoft never list the actual price of their sales. They only list how much percentage the game is off. You have to manually search the game on the Xbox marketplace one by one to see the price... that's so dumb.

thelastword

Banned
I have to disagree. But I use the shitty EU store so there's that.
Yeah, traditionally the EU has had worse sales, but that has improved recently I heard.

Current price for Street Fighter V: 2017 Deluxe Edition is $79.99 on PlayStation 4 and $47.28 on Steam.

Thousands of great games so yes? Storefront is showing discounts for GTA V, Watch Dog 2, FF X/X2, The Witcher 3, The Division, MGS5, Fallout 4, FF9, DS3, Dishonored2, Rainbow Six Siege, CS Go, Dying Light, NBA 2K17 now.
All these games have been on sale so many times on PSN, I lost count, it's like almost every week or other week. As for SFV, the season 1 pass was 14.99 on PSN when it was 20.00 on PC some weeks aback. I checked because I have SFV on both platforms. The Season 1 pass is only hitting 14.99 on steam in the current sale, only now. Also, some people forget that PS plus users get even further discounts ontop of sale prices.

yyr

I never understood why Microsoft never list the actual price of their sales. They only list how much percentage the game is off. You have to manually search the game on the Xbox marketplace one by one to see the price... that's so dumb.

AFAIK, their sales are not exclusive to one region, they are worldwide. But when they publish the sale, they do it once for the whole world.

Different countries, different currencies, different prices, etc. so they just list the % off. When you browse the sale on the store, the prices are shown for your country.

ironmang

They still have a lot to go to compete with physical sales though. Most of the flash sales I can find find a physical copy for cheaper without holding out for a random psn sale that I may miss. The sales on PS1 games last month were nice though and I added a bunch to my vita backlog.

You're gonna have to elaborate on that one. They seem pretty good to me, and new things are on sale every single week. Xbox's big holiday sales are usually really good too.

Yup. Just got a console during their Black Friday sale and got a nice haul for under $20

Cartho

I've picked up loads digitally on PSN since Black Friday. Need to wait till I get paid at the end of this month then I get get involved with the January stuff! Wanna get Tomb Raider to let my Pro flex its muscles.

JP

Agreed. Sales have been great this year, even in the U.K.
Not in UK they didn't.
Neogaf.gif
What is it with people posting this sort of thing on here? Opposing opinions are not unique to this place in any way, they're subjective comments and it shouldn't be seen as a negative that people don't necessarily agree about this stuff. As a matter of fact, the neogaf.gif comment is probably only suitable as a response to people who post neogaf.gif in response to a comment.

Personally, I've been very happy with the ongoing sales on PSN and they've made me spend far more on games than I would have without them.

SURGEdude

It's been a remarkable turnaround from the previous digital pricing strategy of just robbing people. The sales now actually feel like sales instead of just one less lashing.

Slight hijack, but I have a quick PSN query:

I had my vita stolen 6 months ago. I had PS+ the whole time (still do). I don't know if my Persona 4 saves were successfully uploaded to the cloud - is there any way I can actually see what's on there without having a Vita?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Is it a country thing?

Because in Australia they're about the same. Sometimes Sony will have a particularly good sale on a game while Microsoft will have a good sale on a different one.

They come up about the same level when all is said and done. Again, in Australia at least. But their standard pricing is actually worse than Microsoft in most cases.

Icolin

Banned
Pretty much this. I bought a PS4 in October for the exclusives, but haven't seen any really good deals pass me by so far.

bARng2J.gif

Have you seen the Wii U library? It's exclusives trounce the PS4 library.

Have you seen the Switch? The PS4 Pro is shaping up to be an overpriced disappointment meanwhile Nintendo is bringing that innovation back to this creatively bankrupt industry. Nintendo ain't playing around any longer.

Sorry I just really wanted an excuse to use this pasta. What exclusives are you eyeing at the moment to get cheaper?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yeah, traditionally the EU has had worse sales, but that has improved recently I heard.

All these games have been on sale so many times on PSN, I lost count, it's like almost every week or other week. As for SFV, the season 1 pass was 14.99 on PSN when it was 20.00 on PC some weeks aback. I checked because I have SFV on both platforms. The Season 1 pass is only hitting 14.99 on steam in the current sale, only now. Also, some people forget that PS plus users get even further discounts ontop of sale prices.

Well, these games are on Steam discount countless times too, but Steam has the added incentives of offering a bigger selection of discounts at the same time than PSN even if we discount shovelwares.

PC gamers doesn't need to pay for any subscriptions to get even further discount in the first place.

Steam's sales ain't what they use to be. You could get some crazy deals on flash and dailies.

Can't argue with you there, but the fact is Steam still offers a ton on sale for good prices. We all knew that crazy shit wasn't going to last.

Quality vs quantity perhaps.

Steam wins both.

Thousands of what? Games you're dying to play? I'm pretty sure bad rats and a million others are on sale if this is your metric.....

Yes? Just about every time I bring a list of games I want to pick up during a big seasonal sale, they get discounted. The fact that shovelware also goes on sale as well means absolutely nothing to me, because the games people want go on sale.

I am honestly struggling to think of when a game I wanted didn't go on sale, except for maybe the newest of new games (at the time).

You guys really underestimate how expansive these sales are. I can comfortably hold off on games because I know they will go on sale the next time around, often with better discounts. And I'm not talking just about popular, well-known games, but something like... From Dust for example. Also, I know that I will be able to pick up older games at great prices as well because they will also go on sale several times a year. Entire franchises will be discounted, not just the newest entries.

Well my opinion differs from yours then. There is overall more low quality junk on Steam.

Again, this literally means absolutely nothing. It's like saying the PS2 library sucks because the system received a bunch of shovelware along with its quality releases. There are thousands of quality games that go on sale as well. And as mentioned before, just about every game I can think of that I want gets a sale during the big seasonal sales.

- Witcher 3 DLC is 40% off on PSN EU right now, only 25% off on Steam, and the Expansion Pass is 50% off on EU PSN while it's not on sale on Steam at all. GOTY Edition is price-matched.
- MGS5 is €15 on EU PSN, €17 on Steam
- No Man's Sky is €26 on EU PSN, €36 on Steam
- Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary is €8 on EU PSN, €14 on Steam
- Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition is €15 on EU PSN, €20 on Steam. What makes this worse is that the console version came out much later than the PC version, and it's still cheaper.
- Layers of Fear is €8 on EU PSN, €10 on Steam. Its DLC is €3.45 on EU PSN, €5 on Steam. Its complete edition is €10 on EU PSN, €13 on Steam.
- Murdered Soul Suspect is €5 on EU PSN, €7.49 on Steam

Yeah, Steam ain't all that great. The Steam client does have the ability to redeem keys from other sources which is why I really wish consoles also had one-time-use digital keys inside retail copies. But PSN is really great for what it is.

US Prices:

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary:
Steam: $13.99
PSN: not on sale

MGSV:
Steam: $23.99 (base), $25.99 (Definitive Edition)
PSN: $33.99 (Definitive), base edition not on sale

No Man's Sky:
Steam: $35.99
PSN: 39.59

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced:
Steam: $19.99

Witcher 3
Steam: $19.99 (base), $29.99 (GOTY), Blood & Wine - $14.99, Hearts of Stone - $7.49
PSN: nothing on sale

Murder: Soul Suspet:
Steam: $7.49

So as you can see with your examples, all the sales are better for Steam here. It seems like the EU sort of gets the short end of the stick when it comes to Steam sales (which has been a complaint for years), so I can understand why you or others there would be disappointed. But in the US, Steam sales are usually better than their PSN counterparts, both in quality, quanitity, and price. I mean it's not as good as it used to be, but I think they're still very much worth it. Again, if you're in a region where Steam prices or choices aren't that great, especially compared to competitors, then I can understand your view.

And none of this is to say that Sony does a poor job or anything when it comes to sales, but when people say they or MS are "better than Steam" I feel like there have to be a lot of qualifiers added to that statement to make it true.

Sorry for the long ass post. I only just got time to respond and wanted to respond to everyone.

Head.spawn

US Prices:

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary:
Steam: $13.99

MGSV:
Steam: $23.99 (base), $25.99 (Definitive Edition)
PSN: $33.99 (Definitive), base edition not on sale

No Man's Sky:
Steam: $35.99
PSN: 39.59

Witcher 3
Steam: $19.99 (base), $29.99 (GOTY), Blood & Wine - $14.99, Hearts of Stone - $7.49
PSN: nothing on sale

Murder: Soul Suspet:
Steam: $7.49

So as you can see with your examples, all the sales are better for Steam here. It seems like the EU sort of gets the short end of the stick when it comes to Steam sales (which has been a complaint for years), so I can understand why you or others there would be disappointed. But in the US, Steam sales are usually better than their PSN counterparts, both in quality, quanitity, and price. I mean it's not as good as it used to be, but I think they're still very much worth it. Again, if you're in a region where Steam prices or choices aren't that great, especially compared to competitors, then I can understand your view.

And none of this is to say that Sony does a poor job or anything when it comes to sales, but when people say they or MS are "better than Steam" I feel like there have to be a lot of qualifiers added to that statement to make it true.

Sorry for the long ass post. I only just got time to respond and wanted to respond to everyone.

Yeah, I'm sitting here trying to buy the complete edition of Helldivers so I have something new to play on PS4...

PSN: $40
Steam: $16

And I have money from a refund just sitting in my Steam wallet, but I would just like to get it on PS4 so I more options on there when I turn it on. I'm sure as fuck not spending $40 on PS4 for the pleasure; really hoping they match the sale there soon or I'll just end up getting it on Steam. They have until the 2nd to match it I guess.

smh

Van Bur3n

I can definitely attest to it in this case. I managed to get Divinity: Original Sin EE for $15 on an Xbox sale some months back. Killer deal for a fantastic game.

Top Bottom