• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As much as Sony is shit on about PSN, rightifully so. They did get one thing right

bobawesome

Good lord, people are actually saying PSN sales are better than Steam sales?

4hVoYFu.png

By far the best digital console sales. They've made it really easy to go digital only.
On the other hand, Nintendo and MS have lagged with no signs of improving.

DLC going on sale I think is a publisher issue though. It's like they forget it exists. The irony being that most people also forget it exists because it's never on sale and that's just money left on the table.
It's a real shame how much full price DLC is in the store that has never gone on sale or how buying a "complete" edition is the only way to get it, even if you already have the game.
Definitely needs to get looked at.

Also, this is always on sale.

8PbkBZm.jpg

Your move, MS/Nintendo.

Because it's terrible.

thelastword

Banned
There are thousands of actually good games on sale on Steam right now, yes.
And the majority of the time there are actually very good games on sale on PSN flash sales, many highly acclaimed exclusives and it happens very often. Just with less chaff. I think that was the general gist of the OP....and he's right.

Bulby333

Neo Member
Agreed! I've bought a ton of games on sale, I've probably only bought a full price game maybe 2 or 3 times this entire year. A lot of really great deals.

Van Bur3n

You're largely missing the fact that people claiming Sony sales are vastly better than Xbox sales, are people that don't actually look at xbox sales.

Like, they're virtually identical when it comes to this this gen. Same prices for multiplats, heavily discounted first party.

Isn't that always the case when it comes to these comparisons? Person on one side makes a claim its side is better than the other without actually being informed of the other side is a staple of brand loyalty, product justification, etc.

I never thought I would ever have a digital backlog with PS4 games, but here I am with 100 games I haven't even installed yet fml.

But yeah, that aside, I would still reaally appreciate if they added some more things to it and cleaned up the interface

Astral Dog

I never thought I would ever have a digital backlog with PS4 games, but here I am with 100 games I haven't even installed yet fml.

But yeah, that aside, I would still reaally appreciate if they added some more things to it and cleaned up the interface
JESUS stop.buying.games

redcrayon

Just to remind everyone out there, even Nintendo doesn't do this.

But yeah, the flash sales have been rather nice.
Not true, at least in Europe. If you don't have enough in your wallet, it gives you options to just add the needed amount via a credit card or top up the wallet.

I think when people say that PSN has better sales than Steam they are referring to the floor on prices of some of the games. For instance I've bought Telltale full seasons on PSN for like $2 but I don't remember them going that low on Steam unless you count Humble Bundle.

MUnited83

For you.
And the majority of the time there are actually very good games on sale on PSN flash sales, many highly acclaimed exclusives and it happens very often. Just with less chaff. I think that was the general gist of the OP....and he's right.
I have to disagree. But I use the shitty EU store so there's that.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Quality vs quantity perhaps.

Current price for Street Fighter V: 2017 Deluxe Edition is $79.99 on PlayStation 4 and $47.28 on Steam.

Thousands of what? Games you're dying to play? I'm pretty sure bad rats and a million others are on sale if this is your metric.....

Thousands of great games so yes? Storefront is showing discounts for GTA V, Watch Dog 2, FF X/X2, The Witcher 3, The Division, MGS5, Fallout 4, FF9, DS3, Dishonored2, Rainbow Six Siege, CS Go, Dying Light, NBA 2K17 now.

Opt1kon_

Definitely started buying all of my games digital thanks to their sales it's really improved since they've started the PS4 gen

fvng

oh shit it turned out that having affordable digital sales is a better approach to fighting used game sales than 'online passes' and meaningless day one preorder perks. so glad online passes are dead.

watdaeff4

Not going to count Nintendo in this discussion as frankly their sales suck.

The sales between the two are actually very comparable, if not completely equal, for the same 3rd party multiplatform games. (i.e. Titanfall 2, Rainbow Six, etc.) Both in price and frequency.

I think how Sony comes out ahead in having better sales is that they have more games on their platform, and more games go on sale due to this.

As a side note, as someone who just got a Vita this summer, I have picked up a shitton of stuff on sale.

Tommi84

There's a 5 dollar minimum on the US psn? [...]just bought an avatar for 39p lol.
Reading comprehension, please?

If you have money on your wallet, you can buy whatever you want. But adding money to the wallet, there's a minimum.

I've seent it in US and PL accounts. Can't think it's different in UK.

AgeEighty

The biggest thing they did right with PSN was to have a vast library of back catalog games from their previous consoles that played more or less perfectly, had cross-buy and cross-play (with cloud saves) between console and handheld, and even worked with your old memory card saves.

But then they discarded all that for PS4.

Reading comprehension, please?

If you have money on your wallet, you can buy whatever you want. But adding money to the wallet, there's a minimum.

I've seent it in US and PL accounts. Can't think it's different in UK.

If you are purchasing using a debit card you're able to spend as little as you want.

What's so hard to understand?

I have purchased avatars that cost 39p, I've purchased themes that cost £1.69 with ZERO MONEY IN MY WALLET.

Yeah, it's rivalling and even surpassing Steam sales now. It's kinda odd regular prices are still high. Digital console gaming can be cheap if you jump from sale to sale.

spwolf

PSN both in USA and EU has great sales for past 2 years or so... prices are awesome, especially in smaller countries where retailers dont drop game prices almost at all.

So right now I have a ton of games that I never played and never will most likely

JP

I think there may be some confusion here with some people about adding funds to your PSN wallet as people seem to be talking about two separate things.

1. If you are merely adding funds to your wallet rather than buying an item, you do indeed need to add a minimum amount of £5.
  2. If instead of adding funds to your wallet you are buying an item or items and adding the funds as part of that transaction, it will just add whatever funds are needed for those particular items. It does that irrelevant of whether you already have funds in your wallet or not, it will just add whatever is outstanding when you attempt to pay.

EDIT:
Also, Happy Christmas all. If you don't believe in this stuff then, Happy Sunday, Happy Today, Happy Whatever The Hell Works for You. :)

Sometimes it's as good as Steam. But generally speaking, NO. It's not as good as Steam. There are great deals on PSN from time to time, but Steam has way more great deals far more frequently. And in terms of value absolutely nothing on PSN comes close to bundles.

But, I do appreciate they have good sales, and some games at great prices.

Steam is best by far, and I'd say PSN and Live are pretty much identical in terms of sales. Usually they discount the same games.

Off topic, but while on the subject of PSN, the Rez theme is godly.

I think that's the part they're doing most wrong, actually. Just like Valve.

Sales devalue games in the eyes of the consumers, I wish they'd stop doing them.

Bite me.

Comments like this are funny. You do realize that there are literally thousands of games on sale on Steam right now?

Sony's holiday sale, while great, can't even compare to Steam.

Well my opinion differs from yours then. There is overall more low quality junk on Steam.

TheYanger

Well my opinion differs from yours then. There is overall more low quality junk on Steam.

While that's true in an absolute sense, all of the same 'high quality' junk goes on sale on Steam too. It's not like people go into these sales and buy a bunch of 99 cent greenlight games only.

It's hilarious that there are still people on this page acting like PSN sales are actually better than XBL, let alone Steam.

Caayn

Owning both a PS4(Pro) and a XB1 since launch. I can't say that I experience a large gap between the sales on both platforms.

I do tend to prefer XBL sales because it allows me to take advantage of other countries' stores without needing to have multiple accounts. But that's more a system implementation than a sale one.

Top Bottom