• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins's Creed PS4 is now 1080p with AA.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ever heard off not being connected to the internet?

Obviously he's connected if it's downloading.
But yeah, it's still possible to see the game unpatched if you haven't put the game in your console yet and you disconnect it. Actually, now that I think about it, Uplay might prevent that.

Replicant

You know what else can make this game even better now it's 1080p? If Ubisoft had gone one step further and disassociated Edward Kenway from those miserable wreck son and grandson of his. I wish he's not related to either Haytham or Connor. Maybe make a DLC where he takes a path not leading to the pro-creation of Haytham? This game is already half sci-fi anyway so may as well make it a full one.

Kade

Hmm, put my system on standby when I left for work so it would download the update but it looks like it didn't. Had to turn it on and then got two notifications about ACIV and Shadow Fall being updated. Do I have to specify somewhere that I want to enable standby downloads?

I am a PS+ member, too.

Tsundere

Banned
Sony needs to do a better job of telling you when things are being downloaded. I'm so used to shitass PS3 that I didn't even realize PS4 downloaded it while my system was off.

It's in your notifications!

Although, it'd be nice when you booted back up that it showed you what downloaded (ala. PS3)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I believe Ubisoft said that this new AA technique to make the PS4 1080p will also be used to make the Xbox 1080p as well.

They definitely didn't say that. They've carefully avoided the resolution figure.

MBison

As someone who thought the first assassins creed was terribly boring considering every mission was based on the climbing gimmick and was the EXACT same over and over....

And who hasn't played AC since that...

Any ideas on how blown away I would be playing this game?

I totally agree about AC1. I thought it was a chore to play. However I played AC2 and loved loved loved it. I imagine you will like AC4 just fine.

DogMeat77

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
AA doesn't improve your resolution; and they said nothing of the sort.

No, they said that Xbox One will be getting the AA fix but no word about the resolution.
Read the OP and read Ubi-blog.

"The most important part of this title update is not necessarily 1080p native resolution,” Trottier smiles. “It’s the fact that even when we were done with the project, even when we were finished with the certification and everything else, even when most of the engineers had started to work on other projects – like we always do at Ubisoft – some of my engineers continued to work on Black Flag and they even developed a brand-new anti-aliasing technique.” (Anti-aliasing is a technique used to diminish the occasional appearance of jagged edges in computer-generated graphics.)

Indeed, along with the full 1080p native resolution, the visuals have been improved even further, simply because the engineers knew that with the additional time they could do even more. So they did. And now, not only will you see every single miniscule pixel in glorious 1080p native resolution on the PS4 – exactly as the artists rendered it – but you’ll also see an even cleaner, clearer and more brilliant moving image than anyone even imagined. (Pay special attention to finer details like the ropes on the ships if you want to get an eyeful of what we’re talking about.) And the best news for gamers on the latest next-gen systems? This anti-aliasing technique will be available for both PS4 and Xbox One."

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Jeebus the jump in graphical sharpness is MASSIVE. Night and day. Everything looks so damn great. Hnnnng. I am in love with this game. So much. I forgive them for shitty ACIII T_T.

SRTtoZ

"The most important part of this title update is not necessarily 1080p native resolution,” Trottier smiles. “It’s the fact that even when we were done with the project, even when we were finished with the certification and everything else, even when most of the engineers had started to work on other projects – like we always do at Ubisoft – some of my engineers continued to work on Black Flag and they even developed a brand-new anti-aliasing technique.” (Anti-aliasing is a technique used to diminish the occasional appearance of jagged edges in computer-generated graphics.)

Indeed, along with the full 1080p native resolution, the visuals have been improved even further, simply because the engineers knew that with the additional time they could do even more. So they did. And now, not only will you see every single miniscule pixel in glorious 1080p native resolution on the PS4 – exactly as the artists rendered it – but you’ll also see an even cleaner, clearer and more brilliant moving image than anyone even imagined. (Pay special attention to finer details like the ropes on the ships if you want to get an eyeful of what we’re talking about.) And the best news for gamers on the latest next-gen systems? This anti-aliasing technique will be available for both PS4 and Xbox One."

Um am I missing something? Everyone is saying this. I think YOU need to learn to read, not the people you quoted.

DogMeat77

Not sure if serious? You shouldn't be so condescending about people "not reading" when the things you are highlighting clearly state nothing about the XBO resolution and only regarding AA.

TAJ

BigDug13

Hey you two, please learn to read the OP and read Ubi-blog.

How about you actually read it yourself. Their development of a new AA technique has nothing to do with the fact that they were able to increase the resolution on PS4. They were able to do both. They increased the resolution on PS4 to be pixel matched with TV's. IN ADDITION to that change, they were able to use a new AA technique to further improve the image quality.

One has nothing to do with the other, these 2 paragraphs are describing how they were able to accomplish two completely separate things.

stryke

Try again

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The PC version uses TXAA, maybe it could be 2x variation of that. Conjecture on my part, I hope they actually spill the beans, because I find it interesting.

It's probably a variation of the post process they used in AC Revelations. Whatever it was, it worked damn well for post process AA.

Riddler

Played it on Ps4 this weekend and loved it.

Played it tonight and now I'm obsessed because ships battles with this clarity is just surreal. Weekend can't come fast enough!

jayu26

So this is what you call an epic fail...

DogMeat77

Ok why are people bitching about an optimisation patch that increases resolution?

I think the complaints were prior to the patch being released... spending $60 on a game perceived to be 'unfinished" was the quarrel. I don't think anyone is displeased with the actual increasing of resolution unless trolling.

beast786

dude, are you joking! because you are proving the point of poster you quoted.

so, take your advice and read the OP and the post you are quoting.

Yeah Ubi have been very coy about the resolution for this game on XB1. Oh well looks like I'll be switching to the PS4 for multiplatforms then. I played all the other AC games on Xbox but if it can't provide as good of an experience technically for a cross gen game as the PS4 version then it's pretty disappointing tbh. What can it do then for the future?

All these reviewers who keep saying resolution doesn't matter and are just brushing it off, of course it makes a difference ffs. People need to be informed of these pretty significant differences. I have a gaming PC and 1080p gaming on it is like night and day difference from the consoles. Just look at Sleeping Dogs or the Batman games on PC. Also aren't these the same reviewers who have been criticising much smaller minor differences on multi platform titles for 360/PS3? The irony.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Adding AA actually reduces the resolution you can achieve with a piece of hardware at 30fps, not increases.
Welp. Should have read this before posting my subsequent post. My bad. Does GAF forgive me?

Ok why are people bitching about an optimisation patch that increases resolution?
Who knows. I am just happy that online is now common place for these developers as the patch probably wouldn't have come at all during the beginning of any other gen.

Games were always rushed for launch titles- at least now someone can do something about it I also commend Ubi for working on it after shipping.

TAJ

Sleeping Dogs PC is also loaded with PC-specific graphics features. Man, that game looks good.
There have been rumors about a release with the PC features on the new consoles.

kaskade

The difference is definitely noticeable. I feel like I can see some more detail in Edwards outfit, trees off in the distance look a bit sharper as well. Overall it's much more crisp. I really love the environments in this game, it's so pretty.

The 1080p update is automatic right? i put the disk in for the 1st time and it installed(from disk I guess). Dont know if it installed the update though.

Dumb question, but my TV only does 720p (or 1080i but I never use that) - will I notice any difference? I'm guessing not.

The 1080p update is automatic right? i put the disk in for the 1st time and it installed(from disk I guess). Dont know if it installed the update though.
Check the download list in "notifications."

BigDug13

People are bitching that such a thing is necessary and sets a possible precident of lots of day 1 buyers playing through games that become better optimized with improved resolutions and framerates after they've already played through the game.

TAJ

It should be automatic, but if you want to be sure then go to the AC4 icon in the PS4 UI and push the Options button on the controller. Then go to Update History and see if it's 1.02.

Top Bottom