• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASU Professor slammed to ground after jaywalking; charged with assaulting officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

It's a nice easy quota filler in some cities. Cops will show up on a street, tag a bunch of people with tickets who aren't expecting it, then stay away long enough that everyone goes back to jaywalking in that area so they can repeat the process.

It's even easier if you setup right next to construction on the street where it's nearly impossible not to jaywalk. That's a fantastic way to meet your quota.

Don't like the professors tone, seems like she thinks she's above the law. The police officer used excessive force, but can't really sympathize much with the prof.
I was caught jaywalking once. The cops screamed YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE LIGHTS ARE GREEN! I was like YEAH...WHATEVER, and that was the end of the encounter (as it should be).
Such a badass you are. Here's a cookie.

BSsBrolly

Banned
So, she might have been selectively targeted and she didn't have to legally show i.d., her outraged response is pretty understandable to me. Also, she didn't know what the officer was going to do when he reached for her skirt, she was just defending herself. No need to blame the victim, the officers where the one's carrying out the injustice and not acting smart.

She had a right to be outraged, still should have complied with his orders and things would have gone much better for her. Where do people like her think doing these things will get them? I just don't understand. "Hmm let's fight this cop, that'll make him let me go!"

Mesousa

Banned
I never get why people just don't comply with the officer, and the. Come back to sue later. I don't know, maybe I am just nervous in general around police because I am a minority male and got the "police" talk from my dad almost every time I left the house as a teenager.

Fighting cops to their face won't accomplish shit. Being mad at them is like being mad at troops for being murderers. Don't attack the the body, go after the head.

YoungHav

Banned
#notallcops

Her kick was understandable, he had reached for her skirt. That would be a reasonable response under the circumstances. 1 in 4 women are sexually abused at some point in their life, and police are known to do whatever the fuck they want and get away with it. The guy was being an ass, then reached for her skirt, of course her gut reaction would be bad intentions for his reach.

If only Americans put half as much effort against police quotas as they do with fictional affirmative action quotas, shit like this wouldn't happen.

Huff

Banned
I've been stopped for jaywalking on a campus. But I was let go with a warning since I wasn't an ass to the cop

YoungHav

Banned
This happened to 2pac. The cops beat him up and he won a civil suit against them.

The average citizen fears boogeyman Al-Qaeda when their taxes pay for the biggest gang of thugs in the nation.

She did talk a lot of smack to that police officer. She should just ask politely to cross the street and then show her I.D and give an explanation. Or maybe that wouldn't work either, who knows with this cops.

Dennis

Banned
She did talk a lot of smack to that police officer. She should just ask politely to cross the street and then show her I.D and give an explanation. Or maybe that wouldn't work either, who knows with this cops.

You don't understand, she is a professor. A professor!

A cop should just know his place.

Does look mighty aggressive for a whole lot of nothing.

What do Americans think of jaywalking?

Do you all laugh that such a law exists like those of us in countries where we use common sense instead?

gdt

He was justified in the way he acted and what happened after he confronted her.

But jaywalking? Come on man wtf. Looks like a bitch move coming after a lady for jaywalking.

The ASU statement is disheartening in that they don't at all support their employee, but I guess they can't seeing as technically/legally, the officer is completely in the right.

ksan

Damn, why haven't all states and countries thought of this?

It's so much easier to target minorities when you make up some bullshit law that makes it really easy to selectively enforce it.

God save the fascist regime!

Zoe

Wasn't there that other jogger girl who was forcibly taken down to the ground for jaywalking? What happened to her?

Got some added longevity because of the chief's poor #firstworldproblems comparison, but otherwise it fizzled out as justified.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
How is this a thing? I understand being approached by an officer for jaywalking is pretty bogus, but it's such a small infraction that you simply comply and get a small fee at the very most. More often then not you only get a warning for something like that. Refusing to follow orders and talking back consistently will never end in your favor. If I was a cop and I was questioning someone who was being belligerent and refusing to show identification, I would be suspicious and take my actions to the next level as well.

I really think the officer was trying to be a good guy and show her at least some courtesy. I'm fairly certain that if it were a male resisting as much as she was, that he'd of been at least tasered and possibly worse.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Wow, I can't believe people are actually siding with the cops here.

GAF does have a defense force for everything.

Pilgor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

The map I posted above is from this. Arizona actually seems to have one of the stronger laws in this case from a quick perusal of the wikipage.

Just so you know, the officer did not need to rely on this type of statute to ask for her ID. The officer witnessed the defendant break the law, as trivial as jaywalking may be, and therefore had probable cause for the arrest. This was not a Terry stop based on reasonable suspicion.

lemonade

The officer was extremely aggressive and could have handled the situation much better. ASU prof should have handled it with much more class. They both looked like bafoons.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Jaywalking is dangerous as hell, especially at night. Is there a video of the whole thing anywhere?

The construction does make it somewhat understandable though.

I just clicked the link. You can see how the entire street is blocked off behind them due to construction. This was absurd and it seems to me that she was targeted.

How so?

How does it? She was breaking the law. He saw an easy ticket. She didn't comply with his orders, resisted arrest, etc. I don't see how her being black matters in any way. It's not like he just stopped her out of the blue and asked the see ID.

Officer wants a few days paid leave? Start some shit that will lead to an investigation...sit back and rake in the money knowing you won't be found guilty of misconduct from the police review (they never are) unless you're bad mouthing your lesbian police chief.

No surprise race was an issue in this after reading the dialogue. Lots of people crossing the street and it's the black lady that gets singled out.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
How does it? She was breaking the law. He saw an easy ticket. She didn't comply with his orders, resisted arrest, etc. I don't see how her being black matters in any way. It's not like he just stopped her out of the blue and asked the see ID.

Even in the video you see other people jaywalking in the background. Why was she stopped? How common is jaywalking actually ticketed? I have never heard of anyone actually being ticketed for it. Why was it that I immediately knew the race of the professor by just reading the title? You can also see the street completely blocked off behind them.

Fox Mulder

Wow, I can't believe people are actually siding with the cops here.

GAF does have a defense force for everything.

no one got shot. How hard is it to show an ID? Jaywalking may feel like a dumb thing to get a ticket for, but it's still illegal.

I've only been pulled over twice, but could instantly tell which cop had an attitude problem and could easily lead to trouble if I didn't choose my adventure correctly.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Do drivers not drive with due care and attention? Do pedestrians not look where they are going?

That it is illegal to cross a road seems fucking stupid to me.

Many drivers don't drive with due care and many pedestrians don't look when they cross roads. People are idiots.

Zoe

Do drivers not drive with due care and attention? Do pedestrians not look where they are going?

That it is illegal to cross a road seems fucking stupid to me.

Around campuses? Pedestrians have blinders and think they rule the streets.

Literally the day after that UT girl was arrested, somebody got hit by a car jaywalking on the other side of campus.

He stopped her walking in traffic. She proceeds to give the officers attitude and refuses to show Id. Officers attempt to handcuff her so they can assertain her identificatio , but she continues to resist police. She gets arrested.

Not really seeing the issue. The Thread title is simply baiting the anti-police GAF members. She wasn't slammed to the ground for jaywalking. She was slammed to the ground after refusing to show identification, refusing to be handcuffed, and kicking an officer. She was given multiple warnings, but chose to escalate the matter because she didn't like the way the cop was talking to her.

If she had simply showed him her identification, the worst the story could have been was "ASU professor ticketed for jaywalking".

Filaipus

Banned
He was an ass but she did break the law. Was it that hard to show her ID? You can complain after, just obey the guy and then talk to him.

I'm saying this because there are a lot of asshole cops that can get really violent (she was a woman but if it was a man it could have been worse), so it's always better to prevent getting yourself punched in the face.

Coreda

I've been stopped for jaywalking on a campus. But I was let go with a warning since I wasn't an ass to the cop

Are you suggesting she was? Edit: I read she allegedly kicked the officer. Yeah, not the brightest idea.

This happened to 2pac. The cops beat him up and he won a civil suit against them.

I remember seeing the photo of him after the assault. Terrible.

rCIZZLE

no one got shot. How hard is it to show an ID? Jaywalking may feel like a dumb thing to get a ticket for, but it's still illegal.

I've only been pulled over twice, but could instantly tell which cop had an attitude problem and could easily lead to trouble if I didn't choose my adventure correctly.

What does showing an ID have to do with anything?

People shouldn't have to carefully choose their responses because that particular cop is an asshole. The cop should always have to adjust to the civilian.

Rosa Parks says "Hello."
I'm not American, but I don't recall reading that Rosa Parks was rude and resisted arrest. Reading into the case, it seems ironic that you mention her:

Parks was exceedingly cognizant of the dangers a black woman faced in getting arrested. She knew that Claudette Colvin had been manhandled by police and others had been beaten or shot for their resistance.
Parks thought about the possibility of resisting but decided not to put up any physical fight, even if Blake or the police got rough with her.
Parks was a seasoned activist at this point and understood the value in not resisting arrest...

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/03/rosa_parks_i_had_been_pushed_as_far_as_i_could_stand/

BSsBrolly

Banned
What does showing an ID have to do with anything?

People shouldn't have to carefully choose their responses because that particular cop is an asshole. The cop should always have to adjust to the civilian.

The ID has everything to do with it. The cop asked to see it and she refused. That is why things escalated. She was not compliant at all throughout the entire thing. The cop reacted to her stupid actions.

genjiZERO

In my 34 years, and the vast majority of it living in a city, I have never once seen nor heard of anyone getting stopped for jay walking. It's painfully clear to me that this is an issue of an over aggressive cop looking to pick a fight because he thinks he can get away with it. It's also precisely why police should be required to video record every interaction they are involved with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom