• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASU Professor slammed to ground after jaywalking; charged with assaulting officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSsBrolly

Banned
In my 34 years, and the vast majority of it living in a city, I have never once seen nor heard of anyone getting stopped for jay walking. It's painfully clear to me that this is an issue of an over aggressive cop looking to pick a fight because he thinks he can get away with it. It's also precisely why police should be required to video record every interaction they are involved with.

Luckily there is a video in this case and we can clearly see the cop wasn't in the wrong here.

Even in the video you see other people jaywalking in the background. Why was she stopped? How common is jaywalking actually ticketed? I have never heard of anyone actually being ticketed for it. Why was it that I immediately knew the race of the professor by just reading the title? You can also see the street completely blocked off behind them.
I can't say why the other people weren't stopped. Too preoccupied with the woman blowing shit out of proportion maybe? Who knows. I've known people to get tickets for jaywalking when just walking across the street into their own apartment complexes/houses.

vikki

No state requires a physical ID outside of traffic stops, right? I understand that one may be obligated to identify themselves, but to require a physical ID doesn't seem right. What happens when a person does not carry their ID on them?

Bored police officers are a pitfall you have to watch out for when you're out and about. If you immediately submit and obey you might get off with a warning.

No state requires a physical ID outside of traffic stops, right? I understand that one may be obligated to identify themselves, but to require a physical ID doesn't seem right. What happens when a person does not carry their ID on them?
If the law states that you must be able to present ID upon request, why would you not carry your ID...?

The ID has everything to do with it. The cop asked to see it and she refused. That is why things escalated. She was not compliant at all throughout the entire thing. The cop reacted to her stupid actions.

So much this. No matter how hard the OP is trying to bait everyone, the police are clearly not in the wrong here. The initial reason for the stop, or her job are both irrelevant. She refused to identify herself, refused police instruction after several warnings about the result of such behavior, and then resisted being handcuffed.

The police at that point have no other choice than to take her to the ground and restrain her. They have someone who, for an unknown reason, is fighting them. They don't know if she has a weapon, is a wanted felon, etc. They are in a roadway with someone who is intent on fighting them. The quickest way to defuse the situation is get that person handcuffed.

Again, all of this would have been avoided if she had simply produced identification after being stopped for breaking the law. She chose tomescalate the situation, even after being warned as to the outcome of that behavior.

vikki

If the law states that you must be able to present ID upon request, why would you not carry your ID...?

I go out for a walk in my neighborhood all the time without an ID. Why should we be required to have an ID if we are not operating a vehicle?

edit:I was asking if the law actually requires a physical ID, or if she just had to identify herself?

Jenov

This lady is just stupid. Jaywalking can be a minor offence, but her reaction to the cop was wrong in every way and she put herself in jail for it.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Rosa Parks says "Hello."

Well firstly, I believe Rosa Parks actions were non violent. That goes a long way towards not being manhandled by authorities. Secondly, what was this professor standing for exactly? Her right to refuse to cooperate with law enforcement or the right to jaywalk?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I can't say why the other people weren't stopped. Too preoccupied with the woman blowing shit out of proportion maybe? Who knows. I've known people to get tickets for jaywalking when just walking across the street into their own apartment complexes/houses.

Uh huh. I doubt she was the first person of the night to jaywalk in front of a blocked street on campus.

Um, not everyone carries ID on them at all times. Some people don't even have driver's licenses and never get a state ID.

Well firstly, I believe Rosa Parks actions were non violent. That goes a long way towards not being manhandled by authorities. Secondly, what was this professor standing for exactly? Her right to refuse to cooperate with law enforcement or the right to jaywalk?

Black people are not allowed to break the rules. Ever.

Sophia

How is this a thing? I understand being approached by an officer for jaywalking is pretty bogus, but it's such a small infraction that you simply comply and get a small fee at the very most. More often then not you only get a warning for something like that. Refusing to follow orders and talking back consistently will never end in your favor. If I was a cop and I was questioning someone who was being belligerent and refusing to show identification, I would be suspicious and take my actions to the next level as well.

I really think the officer was trying to be a good guy and show her at least some courtesy. I'm fairly certain that if it were a male resisting as much as she was, that he'd of been at least tasered and possibly worse.

"Let me see your ID or you will be arrested for failing to provide ID" does not sound like the language of an officer trying to be a good guy in a simple jaywalking stop. Especially when we take his tone into account via the video. She was still pretty dumb for not providing her ID when asked, however.

Kimawolf

I go out for a walk in my neighborhood all the time without an ID. Why should we be required to have an ID if we are not operating a vehicle?
In the militarized police state that is America some states require you to ID yourself If police ask for it yes. People justify it as" well if you're not doing anything wrong why not show them"? It's just one more thing Americans willingly give up.

He'll in Kansas there was a push to let police finger print people on TRAFFIC STOPS. Luckily it didn't past.

People say she was being an ass but neglect the cops role here. Your job is to protect and serve not take it your mental angst on some woman.

IISANDERII

The right to not be oppressed. The right not to be discriminated against. The right not to be brutalized by officers of law.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Can we please leave the "police state!" and "police brutality!" accusations fore ACTUAL issues instead of petty shit like this? The cop had the legal authority to stop her and ask for ID. She refused and attacked him and resisted arrest. This seems pretty straightforward to me.

BSsBrolly

Banned
The right to not be oppressed. The right not to be discriminated against. The right not to be brutalized by officers of law.

If the argument is discrimination and oppression, that's a different can of worms.

However, she was brutalized because she was combative and uncooperative. The cop even warned her multiple times before hand. She still refused. As you can see, this is what happens when you act like a moron to a cop.

Scoot2005

Banned
While I absolutely agree that what this woman endured is fucking atrocious on many levels, life has taught to never fuck with the police. When they ask for I.D. you show your I.D. That's it, end of discussion. Don't fuck with the police.

Edit - Because they will most likely get away with it.

BSsBrolly

Banned
He was way too aggressive. In my opinion he was picking a fight.

I don't see it. I think she was being too hostile. Just show your ID and move on lady. All of this could have been avoided.

I agree the reason she was stopped was bull shit but that's as far as I'm willing to side with this lady.

Can we please leave the "police state!" and "police brutality!" accusations fore ACTUAL issues instead of petty shit like this? The cop had the legal authority to stop her and ask for ID. She refused and attacked him and resisted arrest. This seems pretty straightforward to me.
It's not straightforward at all. She was targeted because she was black. He tried to reach up her skirt, while pinning down her arms to her side with his body and legs. So she did the only rational thing in that situation and kicked the police officer. Then once she was free of his brutish grasp she tried to move away from the potential rapist demon cop, and they grabbed and body slammed her WWE style. And they have the nerve to charge her with jaywalking and assault? How dare they

Kimawolf

While I absolutely agree that what this woman endured is fucking atrocious on many levels, life has taught to never fuck with the police. When they ask for I.D. you show your I.D. That's it, end of discussion. Don't fuck with the police.

Edit - Because they will most likely get away with it.

Oh I've learned that lesson the hard way too. Best to just try to deal with it after the fact, the police after all can beat you, skull drag you, even kill you and most likely the justice system will give them a month of paid vacation while everyone forgets you've been killed.

So yes I comply with all their requests, doesn't mean what they do is right though and that you shouldn't pursue any kind of civil action if possible.

Particle Physicist

If the argument is discrimination and oppression, that's a different can of worms.

However, she was brutalized because she was combative and uncooperative. The cop even warned her multiple times before hand. She still refused. As you can see, this is what happens when you act like a moron to a cop.

Maybe she was frustrated that she was stopped for something so seemingly innocuous that she realized there could be racial motivation behind it. Are you black? (just asking here). My mom is half black, I look white as hell, but I have family and friends that are black and I see a huge difference in how police treat them versus white people (and me). Could she have handled the situation better? Yes. But I completely understand her frustration with the situation.

vikki

In the militarized police state that is America some states require you to ID yourself If police ask for it yes. People justify it as" well if you're not doing anything wrong why not show them"? It's just one more thing Americans willingly give up.

He'll in Kansas there was a push to let police finger print people on TRAFFIC STOPS. Luckily it didn't past.

People say she was being an ass but neglect the cops role here. Your job is to protect and serve not take it your mental angst on some woman.

I guess my problem is the wording, maybe? Identify yourself just sounds like state your name vs. show me your ID. I wouldn't argue that most people don't leave the house without an ID, but if I do, which I do sometimes, why is it a crime?

Ty4on

Jaywalking laws in the US to me show how much emphasis is put on cars and drivers over pedestrians. I just read that it's legal where I live to cross the road when lights are red if the road is empty (common sense).

jett

D-Member
I can't even begin to understand why would this lady refuse to show her id and act confrontational about it. What could possibly go wrong?

JoeMartin

That would be nice, but I doubt he wanted to let her go on her way if he initially decided to start this mess.

I've been pulled over 5 times on my motorcycle for various reasons, never gotten a ticket.

Usually it's a "hey I own a bike too, I know how it is, but stop being stupid" conversation (two times it was the officer outright yelling this conversation at me) - they take my ID/registration/insurance and make sure everything is in check, hand it right back and go about their day.

::THE MAN:: isn't always out to get you.

Maybe she was frustrated that she was stopped for something so seemingly innocuous that she realized there could be racial motivation behind it. Are you black? (just asking here). My mom is half black, I look white as hell, but I have family and friends that are black and I see a huge difference in how police treat them versus white people (and me). Could she have handled the situation better? Yes. But I completely understand her frustration with the situation.
Being frustrated doesn't give you a free pass to be stupid.

Jaywalking laws in the US to me show how much emphasis is put on cars and drivers over pedestrians. I just read that it's legal where I live to cross the road when lights are red if the road is empty (common sense).

Just a few weeks ago in that same town a pedestrian walked right in front of a car in the middle of the block and was killed. It is an issue in that area to such an extent that the police have had to make several high profile pushes to ticket jaywalkers.

BSsBrolly

Banned

I understand that police are assholes and treat black people completely different. I'm white, however my parents have had talks with me from my teen years forward. You don't talk back to an officer, you don't resist arrest, and you sure as hell do not fight them. I was told it would only lead to bad things. If I want to fight a cop, take it to court.

I completely understand her frustration too. I just think she handled everything wrong after being stopped. Should have just showed her ID...

I can't believe there are still people on this planet that argue with police and absolutely refuse to do as requsted. If she had done that, this whole thing would be a non-story.

Scoot2005

Banned
Oh I've learned that lesson the hard way too. Best to just try to deal with it after the fact, the police after all can beat you, skull drag you, even kill you and most likely the justice system will give them a month of paid vacation while everyone forgets you've been killed.

So yes I comply with all their requests, doesn't mean what they do is right though and that you shouldn't pursue any kind of civil action if possible.

She did come off being aggressive though. Now if others were crossing the street and she was singled out (which may be the case) I can understand being pissed. Especially considering she's university staff.

That shit escalated quick as hell though. She should have just showed the I.D. If she was cited for it she could have taken it to court and fight a simple jaywalking citation with plenty of evidence to back herself up.... Not to mention she's a fucking professor I'm sure she could outsmart that cop in court.

genjiZERO

I don't see it. I think she was being too hostile. Just show your ID and move on lady. All of this could have been avoided.

I agree the reason she was stopped was bull shit but that's as far as I'm willing to side with this lady.

Because she has a reasonable expectation of not being harassed, and it's reasonable to be upset when someone is harassing you - even if that other party's position is technically legal. The police do have a long history of harassing people - especially black people.

It's not straightforward at all. She was targeted because she was black. He tried to reach up her skirt, while pinning down her arms to her side with his body and legs. So she did the only rational thing in that situation and kicked the police officer. Then once she was free of his brutish grasp she tried to move away from the potential rapist demon cop, and they grabbed and body slammed her WWE style. And they have the nerve to charge her with jaywalking and assault? How dare they

A met a couple of cops once who in a drunken stupor straight-up admitted to me that that sometimes look for fights.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
The right to not be oppressed...

She suffered no oppression that isn't forced upon everyone else. They're called laws, they seem to have them everywhere.

The right not to be discriminated against...

How was she discriminated against? People of all race and creeds are expected to cooperate with law enforcement. Are you advocating that she should be exempt somehow?

The right not to be brutalized by officers of law...

I just can't comprehend what fairy tale world you inhabit that this display should constitute police brutality. He calmly asked several times for her compliance which she refused. He even took the time to explain the law to her since she seemed confused and reluctant to capitulate. Even after he was forced to bring her to the ground to handcuff her, he tried to fix her dress so that she'd be less shamed, which she responded to by kicking him. I personally see this as an example of police restraint, I could easily see this taking a far nastier turn.

gdt

And hold on, he did not reach for her legs in a sexual manner.

He was clearly pushing her dress down to cover her up.

Particle Physicist

Being frustrated doesn't give you a free pass to be stupid.

I said she could have handled it better, but I definitely think race was a motivation for the police.

I tried to look up jaywalking laws in arizona.

I could only find this:

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00793.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

A. A pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles on the roadway.
B. A pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles on the roadway.
C. Between adjacent intersections at which traffic control signals are in operation, pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

It almost sounds like they are saying that jaywalking is okay as long as you yield to vehicles. Is there another law I can't find?

She did come off being aggressive though. Now if others were crossing the street and she was singled out (which may be the case) I can understand being pissed. Especially considering she's university staff.

You can see other crossing the street in the background of the video. I am pretty sure she was singled out.

Bodacious

Banned
I would've just shown him my ID and gone on with my life. I guess I'm just silly like that.

Since that's the law, yep me too. No matter how bent out of shape people here want to get about this, or allege racism, the video shows classic obstructing and assaulting an officer. It didn't get wild till she did.

It's sad when people like you make a situation like this into a joke. It's not even clear anymore whether you are serious or just a trolling, but it wouldn't be surprising if you are in fact dead serious. You address none of the facts that show the professor being in the wrong and instead go off on a fantasy land description of events.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Because she has a reasonable expectation of not being harassed, and it's reasonable to be upset when someone is harassing you - even if that other party's position is technically legal. The police do have a long history of harassing people - especially black people.

It is reasonable to be upset but it doesn't give her the right to refuse compliance. How she felt makes no difference. The cop did nothing wrong here.

Particle Physicist

The main reason why most (if not all) Europeans find it bizarre that voter I.D's are even an issue in the United States, because not having that requirement seems absurd over here.

There are major hurdles to getting a "proper" ID in the US that affects certain populations (i.e. minorities/poor/etc.) That is the big issue and difference with Europe. There is also a history of Poll Taxes in the US for voting purposes and some of these voter ID laws are basically rewritten poll taxes.

It's sad when people like you make a situation like this into a joke. It's not even clear anymore whether you are serious or just a trolling, but it wouldn't be surprising if you are in fact dead serious. You address none of the facts that show the professor being in the wrong and instead go off on a fantasy land description of events.
...all of my other posts have been in defense of the cop. That one post you quoted was entirely facetious.

Scoot2005

Banned
Didn't notice the people crossing the street. Blatant racism.

Edit - Still, don't argue with the fucking police whether you're in the right or not.

There are major hurdles to getting a "proper" ID in the US that affects certain populations (i.e. minorities/poor/etc.) That is the big issue and difference with Europe.

Europe doesn't have poor people or minorities?

She escalated things but the whole situation started over some bullshit like quotas or power tripping.

Or someone breaking the law by jaywalking, after a recent, high profile jay walking fatality and increased police response in the aftermath.

jimi_dini

I can't believe there are still people on this planet that argue with police and absolutely refuse to do as requsted. If she had done that, this whole thing would be a non-story.

Yup.

Don't argue with police. Especially not about laws. No police officer will say "oh well in that case, I guess you are right. The law really doesn't make sense in this situation. I'm sorry for disturbing you". And especially don't fucking physically attack police officers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom