• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Babysitter who had sex with 11-year-old boy gets suspended sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breraa

Banned
Guys,

Don't get me wrong.

What happened is against the law but the judge made the right decision here and it's clearly backed by government sentencing guidelines.

Judge's can't pull shit out their ass in the UK.

Reishiki

Banned
My partner was raped* at around the same age by a girl older than him. He still has screaming nightmares about it over fifteen years later. That shit messes you up for a long time.

*: iirc, rape still requires penetration in UK law, so legally, he was only sexually assaulted. Kinda messed up.

Guys,

Don't get me wrong.

What happened is against the law but the judge made the right decision here and it's clearly backed by government sentencing guidelines.

You're talking about the legal aspect but you also agreed with the father. Do you think what happened was morally wrong?

dity

Guys,

Don't get me wrong.

He didn't pull it out of his ass, he spewed it out of his mouth. It's still gross.

Guys,

Don't get me wrong.

What happened is against the law but the judge made the right decision here
and it's clearly backed by government sentencing guidelines.

You also said you agreed with the dad. Do you even read what the dad said about his 11 year old son and about the babysitter?

Breraa

Banned
So would you be ok with your 11 year old kid having sex with an adult?

No I wouldn't

The woman was found guilty. The issue is the sentence.

You guys post stories to US miscarriages of justice all the time where someone goes to jail for 10 years for a petty offence, this is what a moderate mature, human legal system produces.

This girl doesn't deserve to go to jail, unless she does it again, in which case it's highly unlikely she would get away without a jail sentence.

Razmos

No I wouldn't

You guys post stories to US miscarriages of justice all the time where someone goes to jail for 10 years for a petty offence, this is what a moderate mature, human legal system produces.

This girl doesn't deserve to go to jail, unless she does it again, in which case it's highly unlikely she would get away without a jail sentence.
Raping a minor under your custody is not jail worthy? You see this as a minor offense? would you think the same if it was a 20 year old man raping an 11 year old girl?

Breraa

Banned
Raping a minor under your custody is not jail worthy? You see this as a minor offense? would you think the same if it was a 20 year old man raping an 11 year old girl?

There's a separate law with it. Sexual Activity with a child under 16.

If this was a case where the kid was raped, then I would agree, she needs to go down hard for it.

The issue here is that the UK and US have different views of what "rape" is.

In this case, the woman has fully admitted it, she's been found guilty in court. There's no allegation that the boy was forced, tricked etc which would make it rape (in the UK), plus in the UK a woman CAN'T rape a man.

Also, the matter was reported to the Police by the dad so he's hardly "bad dad of the year".

Life aint black and white yo

dity

No I wouldn't

What's the difference between her doing it once and then doing it again? It'll be the same thing!

stufte

No I wouldn't

So we shouldn't punish until there are at least 2 victims? Sweet baby jesus. "let's ruin 2 childrens lives before we ruin one adults life".

This is actually directly linked to paternalism and toxic masculinity.

Men telling boys they need to enjoy their rapes because women aren't fellow citizens but conquests to be marked as notches on your belt. Because otherwise you are not manly enough and are a piece of shit sissy.
even if.. this was not the case.. the father is just a random idiot as well...
plus the father banged her as well, as far as I understood, so..

i understand that justice is gray at times, but if you're putting it on that line of reasoning, loosing virginity is like that, depending on the circles for girls as well.. girls that don't get have sex before a certain age are "picked on" more or less maliciously.. conversely in some circles if you sleep with multiple people you are seen like a slut..
so no sex? silly virgin.. too much sex? slut..

now without the offtopic, I for one think she should be punished, but stuff like this is always about personal perception of the whole event i guess...

Breraa

Banned
Yeah, so why is a potential second case jail worthy but the first isn't? You're not making a lick of sense.

Like I said, the UK isn't the US.

Her sentence is suspended for 2 years, if she gets done for ANYTHING illegal in those 2 years, even shoplifting, then she will go to jail.

She hasn't avoided jail, she's been given benefit of the doubt.

BajiBoxer

Banned
There's a separate law with it. Sexual Activity with a child under 16.

If this was a case where the kid was raped, then I would agree, she needs to go down hard for it.

The issue here is that the UK and US have different views of what "rape" is.

In this case, the woman has fully admitted it, she's been found guilty in court. There's no allegation that the boy was forced, tricked etc which would make it rape (in the UK), plus in the UK a woman CAN'T rape a man.

Also, the matter was reported to the Police by the dad so he's hardly "bad dad of the year".

Life aint black and white yo
It's my understanding that "consent" is not relevant under law if the victim is under 13.

dity

Her sentence is suspended for 2 years, if she gets done for ANYTHING illegal in those 2 years, even shoplifting, then she will go to jail.

Are they doubting that that kid isn't a sex maniac? Because that's the message.

Beefy

She has been given benefit of doubt over sexually assaulting a 11yr old, which is wrong. She should be locked up.

Kurita

That's the whole point. She shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt.

She is a child molester, she deserves jail not the benefit of the doubt.

Your logic is twisted.

Excusing child molesting in the name of liberal nonsense is messed up, not everyone deserves a second chance.

entremet

I don't know if you are all aware, but I know that a father taking a teenage boy to a prostitute to lose his virginity was and is a thing in some backwards ass homes.

This reminds me of that but in a way more messed way.

Breraa

Banned
It's my understanding that "consent" is not relevant under law if the victim is under 13.

These are the max penalties for the law she was tried under:

Statutory Limitations & Maximum Penalty: Penetration - 14 years imprisonment
Non-Penetration - On Indictment - 14 years imprisonment
Summary Conviction - 6 months imprisonment and/or statutory maximum fine

Rape is maximum life imprisonment and there is no option to try it in a summary trial.

Clearly two very different laws and circumstances.

Here's the simplified guidelines:

Relevant Sentencing Council Guideline (if any)
Guidelines effective for offences sentenced on or after the 14th May 2007.
The starting points are for an adult offender, of previous good character who was convicted after trial.
The same starting points apply whether the activity was caused or incited. Where an offence was incited but did not take place as a result of the voluntary intervention of the offender, that is likely to reduce the severity of the sentence imposed.
"...no precise guidance can be given. The appropriate sentence is likeley to lie within a very wide braket, depending on all the circumstances of the particular offence. There will be very few cases in which immediate custody is not called for, even in relation to a young offender because the purpose of the legislation is to protect children under 13 from themselves, as well as from others minded to prey on them.

The sentence for S9 and S10 offences is likely to be less where the victim is under 16 rather than under 13" (per Rose LJ in R v Corran and others [2005] 2 Cr.App.R.(S) 73).

Type/nature of activity: Penile penetration of the vagina, anus or mouth or penetration of the vagina or anus with another body part or an object

Starting points: 4 years custody
Sentencing ranges: 3 - 7 years custody

Type/nature of activity: Contact between naked genitalia of offender and naked genitalia or another part of victim's body, particularly face or mouth

Starting points: 2 years custody
Sentencing ranges: 1 - 4 years custody

Type/nature of activity: Contact between naked genitalia of offender or victim and clothed genitalia of victim or offender or contact with naked genitalia of victim by offender using part of his or her body other than the genitalia or an object

Starting points: 12 months custody
Sentencing ranges: 26 weeks - 2 years custody

Type/nature of activity: Contact between part of offender's body (other than the genitalia) with part of the victim's body (other than the genitalia)

Starting points: Community order
Sentencing ranges: An appropriate non-custodial sentence

'Non-custodial sentence' in this context suggests a community order or a fine. In most instances, an offence will have crossed the threshold for a community order. However, in accordance with normal sentencing practice, a court is not precluded from imposing a financial penalty where that is determined to be the appropriate sentence.

Razmos

I don't know if you are all aware, but I know that a father taking a teenage boy to a prostitute to lose his virginity was and is a thing in some backwards ass homes.

This remind of that but in a way more messed way.
Sure, it's the same kind of twisted problem caused by an unhealthy focus on sex as part of a man's masculinity.

I didn't have sex until I was 16 and even then I wasn't prepared for it, despite having years of wanting to have it.

The idea of an 11 year old having sex is just incredibly gross to me and it's the kind of thing that can warp their view of sexuality and relationships, ESPECIALLY if it is rape like this case.

Enco

lmao

This thread is ridiculous.

Pedophile/rape defence force? I'm 100% certain that those saying this is ok would NOT say the same thing if it was a man and a young girl.

At the end of the day, she still fucked a 11 year old. I really don't want to sound like some MRA nut, but just imagine if the genders were turned around here for a moment. Would you still give a man who fucked a 11 year old girl, the benefit of the doubt?

dity

The fact that the UK considers "genital on genital" contact worth less of a sentence than penetration of the victim seems very backwards to me. I wonder if there's ever been a "dry humping" rapist in the UK - all the perks of rape, guaranteed half the sentence. Hooray!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Rape defence force is hideous.

We're back to "She enjoyed it", anytime soon, i guess?

Breraa

Banned
I'm not sure why I'm getting marked as a peado defender.

No one is arguing what she did was against the law and neither is the judge.

Breraa

Banned
I've not defended the babysitter at all.

I just pointed out that I agree with the judge, who is an expert in UK law and it's application has come to a decision. Also, the court, judge etc will be privy to a lot more information than what's presented in a newspaper article that's designed more to stir up a fuss and get clicks.

I'm defending my legal system goddamit.

I don't see the CPS, Police, Parents objecting to the finding either.

Beefy

I just pointed out that I agree with the judge, who is an expert in UK law and it's application has come to a decision. Also, the court, judge etc will be privy to a lot more information than what's presented in a newspaper article that's designed more to stir up a fuss and get clicks.

Defending the legal system when it is clearly wrong? The NSPCC clearly object to the verdict, as did a kids charity who was at the trial.

cameron

NSPCC has objected. The father is a creep. The judge is mental with his "it was quite clear he was a mature 11-year-old" line.

Kurita

How is it an argument? The legal system can't be flawed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom