• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

I'm running fullscreen as well, I have not noted any strange behavior related to vsync. I tried capping the FPS at 60 with RTSS or via the driver panel, no improvements in either case.

I7 4770k stock
GTX 980
And very importantly : 16gb of ram. This game runs much "smoother" (read : more consistent frametimes) after my 16gb upgrade.

For those wondering how I made this graph : download Fraps viewer here :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/frafsbenchview/files/
Run Fraps (not fraps viewer) and press F11 to start recording and again to stop.

Exit your game, run Fraps viewer and quickly you will be redirected to the folder in which Fraps saves its benchmarks (C->Fraps->benchmarks). Drag the frametimes file (clearly labeled) in the Fraps viewer window and upload it to imgur.

Hmm... I've got a rig that's a bit faster than yours:

i7 4790K OC'ed to 4.8GHz
GTX 980 TI OC'ed pretty aggressively (in SLI but obviously that doesn't matter here)
16GB of RAM
1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD

I wonder if I could pull off 60 FPS @ 1440P on my G-Sync display. Might just have to bite the bullet and give this a shot since I can't get a refund and SLI support is never coming.

I do have to wonder if it's possible to brute force this port into running well with future hardware/ludicrously expensive modern hardware.

...Not that that excuses it, mind you.

Kezen

Banned

i7 4790K OC'ed to 4.8GHz
GTX 980 TI OC'ed pretty aggressively (in SLI but obviously that doesn't matter here)
16GB of RAM
1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD

I wonder if I could pull off 60 FPS @ 1440P on my G-Sync display. Might just have to bite the bullet and give this a shot since I can't get a refund and SLI support is never coming.

1440p will not be an easy task even with such GPU, I won't promise you 60fps without any drops anywhere. Don't even try using the GPU Physx options, they are extremely demanding and the game is already taxing enough.
I'm playing at 1080p.

I do have to wonder if it's possible to brute force this port into running well with future hardware/ludicrously expensive modern hardware.

...Not that that excuses it, mind you.

Probably not, some issues cannot be brute forced. The streaming engine seems unequipped to allow for a pristine 60fps. So no matter the hardware stutter is always there, it can be greatly reduced though, but those cannot tolerate it can safely forget about Arkham Knight.

wazoo

I'm running fullscreen as well, I have not noted any strange behavior related to vsync. I tried capping the FPS at 60 with RTSS or via the driver panel, no improvements in either case.

The game runs much better with vsync in game off and g-sync activated.

i7 4790K OC'ed to 4.8GHz
16GB of RAM
1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD

i5 2500k @ 4.5
980 ti (mild factory oc of 100 mhz)
16 gb ram
Same SSD
1440p G-sync display

With max settings, the game can fluctuate from 70s to 40s while driving the Batmobile through lots of debris and objects. Sometimes even just gliding through the air in certain parts of the city.

Your system is better than mine but overall I think it's simply not feasible to expect a solid 60 fps at max settings on this game. G-sync doesn't do anything about the stutters this particular game suffers from, either.

Honestly, unless you're just a die hard Batman fan, I would say forget this game ever existed and play something else. The fact that it was such a shitty situation is enough for me to not want to support them, fixed game or not. I would have refunded it had it not been free w/ my video card and never purchased it, regardless of how much it went on sale. There are plenty of others games for me to play that weren't such a shit show, in terms of technical issues how poorly everything has been handled, as this.

Freiya

Reading various PC gaming forums I got the impression that SLI was never working properly and was regularly broken by patches or drivers.
Glad to see it's not a nightmare for everyone though.
Whats funny is the fact that the other batman games support sli.

kuYuri

i7 4790K OC'ed to 4.8GHz
16GB of RAM
1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD

I think it's doable if you cap the framerate in the options menu to 60.

We have almost exact same specs, but my stuff are still at stock speeds.

robgrab

Since I have Windows 10 installed I decided to upgrade my RAM from 8GB to 16GB to see if it would make any difference. Here are my results:

8GB
MIN - 65
MAX - 124
AVG - 89

-----------------------------------------------------

16GB
MIN - 50
MAX - 127
AVG - 89

So in my case clearly adding an extra 8GB of memory did nothing. Gameplay felt just as sluggish as before (if not moreso). Oh well, it was only $35.

wazoo

Since I have Windows 10 installed I decided to upgrade my RAM from 8GB to 16GB to see if it would make any difference. Here are my results:

clearly adding an extra 8GB of memory did nothing. Gameplay felt just as sluggish as before (if not moreso). Oh well, it was only $35.

In your case, performance was already quite good, no ?

robgrab

In your case, performance was already quite good, no ?

If you're going by benchmark numbers alone, sure. I know the 89fps AVG is because they cap the game at 90fps so it couldn't go higher if it wanted to. My problem is for some reason I don't get those framerates "in game." In game is usually around 30-40fps, which I simply don't understand. It's like there's a 30fps hard lock. I have mine set to 60fps in the graphics settings and I've tried No V-sync, V-sync, and Adaptive with no difference. I just wish I could figure it out. I doubt my hardware is the issue.

wazoo

If you're going by benchmark numbers alone, sure. I know the 89fps AVG is because they cap the game at 90fps so it couldn't go higher if it wanted to. My problem is for some reason I don't get those framerates "in game." In game is usually around 30-40fps, which I simply don't understand. It's like there's a 30fps hard lock. I have mine set to 60fps in the graphics settings and I've tried No V-sync, V-sync, and Adaptive with no difference. I just wish I could figure it out. I doubt my hardware is the issue.

Can not comment. My experience went from ok with vsync to stellar with gsync, there is clearly a problem in the engine.

Mivey

In game is usually around 30-40fps, which I simply don't understand.
The performance issues are likely (I'm speculating of course) problems in the games data pipeline, how it loads the data it needs for a seamless transition on the world map. I guess the benchmarking suite is only an artificial graphics stress test, and does not test the streaming tech. (which makes it quite useless as a benchmark, btw)

This is also the reason why I don't think this will improve with better GPUs, only marginally, and certainly not when you want a stable and high framerate. Maybe future PC architecture is going to be more performant all around, making these issues "disappear" on future hardware.

Kezen

Banned
1.7gb update went live today, DLC most likely.
EDIT : well....

Fixed a hitch during some game saves
Fixed a Windows 10 issue causing the game to be unresponsive on launch when the keyboard language was set to Japanese, Japanese Microsoft IME, Korean, Chinese (Traditional) or Chinese (Simplified)
Fixed minor delay when aiming a gadget when playing with a keyboard and mouse
Fixed a bug causing full screen movies to play at half the monitor’s refresh rate on some systems
Fixed players sometimes not being able to counter the Mini-Gun Brute after being spotted when playing as Nightwing or Batman
Fixed a performance drop that occurred when encountering Man-Bat for the first time
Fixed some Multi-Monitor specific bugs
Some improvements to mouse and keyboard bindings
Improved VRAM management to reduce framerate hitches
Stability improvements for rare crash issues
Fixed an issue causing certain types of lights & shadows to render incorrectly
Fixed an issue causing the game process to occasionally remain running in the background for a period of time
Fixed the Knightfall Protocol not being able to activate under certain conditions<- That is me
Fixed a progression blocker that could occur in Stagg Airships when leaving the predator room after only knocking out one of the guards
Fixed damage states for Batman&#8217;s V8.03 skin in Story Mode after selecting an alternate skin for AR Challenges
Fixed missing rain effects on several Batman skins (fix for 1970s and Arkham Origins skins coming soon)
Added support for new DLC releasing on November 24th
Play as other characters in AR predator challenges

I double checked and this is really the changelog for the 24 November patch.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/485623339234206227/

I have to admit I'm surprised, I thought they gave up on even trying to fix the stuttering, of course I'm expecting it to remain still, but if they have managed to reduce it further then great.

Kezen

Banned
Improved VRAM management to reduce framerate hitches

Mhmm...

Downloading now, I'll post results in a few minutes. I wonder if it'll be noticeable.

You can record frametimes with Fraps if you want to be sure stuttering has been reduced.
I'll do that once the update has finished downloading.

Not expecting miracles. The problem seems structural, if they have not been able to fix it between July and October I cannot think of any reason to believe they can now.

You can record frametimes with Fraps if you want to be sure stuttering has been reduced.
I'll do that once the update has finished downloading.

Not expecting miracles. The problem seems structural, if they have not been able to fix it between July and October I cannot think of any reason to believe they can now.
Yeah just tested it, stuttering is still there. Might be a marginal improvement but that also might be placebo. Hitching seems slightly less, though. Like it seems like it cut the time it took to stop hitching down a bit.

Kezen

Banned
Yeah just tested it, stuttering is still there. Might be a marginal improvement but that also might be placebo. Hitching seems slightly less, though. Like it seems like it cut the time it took to stop hitching down a bit.

Like Arkham City the hitching/stuttering will never be truly fixed, although City stutters very little, much less than it did 4 years ago. I suppose SSDs can make a pretty big difference in those cases.

Like Arkham City the hitching/stuttering will never be truly fixed, although City stutters very little, much less than it did 4 years ago. I suppose SSDs can make a pretty big difference in those cases.
Here's hoping. It's a gorgeous game and it would be very nice to one day in a few years be able to sit down and have a mostly smooth experience!

Also apparently there's new DLC out today - trailer here.

1.7gb update went live today, DLC most likely.
EDIT : well....

I double checked and this is really the changelog for the 24 November patch.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/485623339234206227/

I have to admit I'm surprised, I thought they gave up on even trying to fix the stuttering, of course I'm expecting it to remain still, but if they have managed to reduce it further then great.

You missed some general update notes, most importantly:
o Character Selection in AR Invisible Predator Challenges.

Fuck yes.

Kezen

Banned
VRAM usage did decrease, by about 300mb.
Stuttering of course has not been 100% eliminated.
cMxjFZf.png

Batmobile stress test. 16gb of RAM + SSD.

TitusTroy

-Fixed minor delay when aiming a gadget when playing with a keyboard and mouse

I noticed that during my playthrough...it was annoying and I'm glad they fixed it

-Stability improvements for rare crash issues

I would get the occasional crash to desktop with some 'fatal error' message...they really need to fix this

good to hear that the stuttering/hitching has been improved (if only slightly)...is performance with all the Nvidia GameWorks features enabled improved?

Kezen

Banned
-Fixed minor delay when aiming a gadget when playing with a keyboard and mouse

I noticed that during my playthrough...it was annoying and I'm glad they fixed it

-Stability improvements for rare crash issues

I would get the occasional crash to desktop with some 'fatal error' message...they really need to fix this

good to hear that the stuttering/hitching has been improved (if only slightly)...is performance with all the Nvidia GameWorks features enabled improved?

The quick-fire stuttering has been fixed, as well as the "pause" when saving. That's that at least.

Regarding Gameworks, the first two effects are still very taxing, while the rain effects and the volumetric lighting are rather light on the hardware.

Nerrel

I didn't notice many performance improvements, but then again, it's been running surprisingly well on my system.

What I did notice is that it looks like they rolled back the splash screen to "30mph" again.

Well, the game is completely fixed for me now.
I did my regular test of:
Story mode
Arkham city story
Challenge mode
Back to storry.

This would normally result in the memory leak that usually takes a few hours in story mode to manifest itself right away and thus become stutterfest.
Now it was perfectly smooth with the odd hitch here and there even after doing both the new catwoman and robin dlcs.

Driving around itself doesn't have the same massive drops anymore (40-60 instead of <30-60), same with gliding (50?-60).

As a side note, catwoman's dlc was more fun than I expected (and 70's catwoman is a goddess wow) and the predator character select actually changes the objectives per character, like instead of a fear takedown, harley will have something regarding her jack in the boxes. Pretty neat.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see it's still being patched, by the time I get around to playing it, it may be playable.

robgrab

I have no idea what they did with this latest patch but it runs smooth as butter for me now! I have everything set to high, with all NVIDIA GameWorks options turned off, and it runs locked at 60. To be fair I haven't tried to drive the Batmobile yet but flyng around the city is super smooth. Before this patch just walking was a stuttery mess. THIS is the update people were waiting for. Too bad it came out after most people have already refunded their game at this point. I just wish it had released in this condition. Thanks to developers for your persistence.

TitusTroy

anyone previously get those 'fatal error' crashes?...have they been fixed with this new patch?...I used to get them much more frequently when I had the Nvidia Gameworks smoke and debris setting enabled but even after I disabled them I would still get crashes every once in awhile

Zodzilla

Holy shit, played a little bit of this tonight and it's way smoother with barely any stuttering (compared to when I played this weekend). Looks like this was the patch I was actually waiting for. Pleasantly surprised at the improvements so far. Hopefully they can keep them coming.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, played a little bit of this tonight and it's way smoother with barely any stuttering (compared to when I played this weekend). Looks like this was the patch I was actually waiting for. Pleasantly surprised at the improvements so far. Hopefully they can keep them coming.

Nice nice, looks like my gamble might pay off after all.

I have a 5400 rpm connected via SATA II (lol) hard drive which might explain why I'm still seeing stuttering. Thinking about getting a 7200rpm or SSD over Christmas.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I have a 5400 rpm connected via SATA II (lol) hard drive which might explain why I'm still seeing stuttering. Thinking about getting a 7200rpm or SSD over Christmas.

Get a good SSD, it's a fantastic upgrade. I jumped in way back when with an Intel X25M which was about £250 for 80GB and I could never go back. I'm now rocking a 500G Samsung Evo 850 and I love it.

Get a good SSD, it's a fantastic upgrade. I jumped in way back when with an Intel X25M which was about £250 for 80GB and I could never go back. I'm now rocking a 500G Samsung Evo 850 and I love it.

SSD. Without a doubt
Hmm, I'm definitely leaning that way :) I'm thinking about going for a 250GB SSD as it's within my price range. They've definitely gotten a lot cheaper recently!

I don't think I'd need to go bigger because I have a second hard drive in my computer which is 5400rpm/500GB used for last gen games because they don't seem to need fast streaming. I also have really fast internet and I don't tend to keep a lot of 50GB games installed at a time.

robgrab

I'm really interested in those new Samsung 950 PRO SSDs. They're ridiculously fast even when compared to Samsung's 850 PRO. I'm sure that would eliminate any lingering stuttering. I'm just waiting for capacities to go way up and prices to go way down.

Hmm, I'm definitely leaning that way :) I'm thinking about going for a 250GB SSD as it's within my price range. They've definitely gotten a lot cheaper recently!

I don't think I'd need to go bigger because I have a second hard drive in my computer which is 5400rpm/500GB used for last gen games because they don't seem to need fast streaming. I also have really fast internet and I don't tend to keep a lot of 50GB games installed at a time.

New Egg has the 850 EVO 500GB for $149.99 currently, was a little less Sunday as part of a deal they had going (took $7.50 off that price) but you can still get a copy of AC:S with it and since you already have it you could either sell it to make a bit of your money back or give it away. I was tempted to buy a second one but ended up holding off.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373

Top Bottom