• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

ahoyle77

looking to get this for my son for Christmas. Just need 1080p at 30fps. Will be on FX8350, gtx 960 2gb, 8gb ram. Is that sufficient with the new patches?

I see a few people in here mention getting the other games...neat. I was just looking at my Steam list and was surprised to see Origins/Blackgate in there, since I got my Knight code from buying a GTX970. Looks like I have a lot of Batman to play next year.

New patch up, apparantly restores heavy rain effects in earlier sections of the game

The latest patch for Batman: Arkham Knight was released today and contains the following updates:
Fixed some issues with stars being awarded or lost incorrectly in specific AR Challenges
Improved target prioritization during combat
Restored heavier rain during the opening section of the game
Fixed missing rain effects on a few remaining player character skins
Miscellaneous gameplay fixes and stability improvements
Fixes to some keyboard and mouse prompts after being rebound
Made frame times more consistent for 60hz monitors running at 30fps with VSync enabled
Previously equipped gadgets can be selected with keyboard and mouse again after restarting an AR Challenge
Fixed the default key binding for Harley’s Snare gadget
Batgirl’s Remote Hacking Device can now be properly selected with keyboard & mouse in AR Challenges
Minor performance optimizations for certain combinations of hardware
Fixed keyboard & mouse controls that did not function in DLC AR Challenges when no previous save data existed
Quick Photo Mode can now be triggered with keyboard and mouse controls when using the Batmobile
Special Combo Takedowns can now be performed with Quickfire Gadget binds if they were rebound
Fixed graphical corruption that may occur after Alt-Tabbing
Improvements and corrections to some localized text
Added new Classic Harley Quinn skin for use in AR Challenges & the Harley Quinn Story Pack
Added Arkham Knight as a playable character for AR Challenges & the Red Hood Story Pack
Added support for December DLC content

Kezen

Banned
New patch up, apparantly restores heavy rain effects in earlier sections of the game

Thanks a lot to those who reported this bug heavily.

I may be in the minority but the game runs really well, stuttering is still there (have not tested with the new patch) but it no longer is intrusive enough to bother me.

EDIT: Alright, tested my usual sequence and stuttering has been further reduced, LOD transitions are handled better, rain is still the same.

Best part about this update:
3d31ffa193.jpg

Also they finally also updated batgirl/harley/red hood to receive story mode upgrades as well.

Zodzilla

Happy to say that this newest patch has finally made performance consistent. Would be pleased if this is just how the game is from herein out to be honest.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I keep pushing this to the back of my backlog and they keep fixing it, should be good by the time I get to it.

Happy to say that this newest patch has finally made performance consistent. Would be pleased if this is just how the game is from herein out to be honest.

Great! Hopefully it pops up in the soon to be Steam sale so I can proceed to murder my 560Ti with it. I love the rest of the series, I've been waiting for this one to be fixed up so I can finally dive in!

/salute to all of you brave souls who paid out full price and suffered through until the game was fixed!

Is any of the DLC worth it? I wonder if the DLC will go on sale during the Winter sale

If you like some cool skins, skinpacks yes. (custom batmobiles can only be used in story if you've gotten rid of everything that requires combat mode (roadblocks/drones).
If you like challenge mode (like me), then definitely get the challenge packs.
If you want to do a bit more focussed mission type of thing then batgirl DLC is good
If you really like challenge mode (like me), then also get red hood/harley

The nightwing/robin episodes were alright, nothig great or memorable, catwoman episode was more fun than I expected though.

Season of infamy should be dropping next week, which basically continues the story.

Zodzilla

30pfs, 60fps, or both? Framepacing was my major issue with it. If that's fixed I'll download it agsin

Seems like both on my end. Then again, my box is underpowered, so I'm having to run it at 720p to get a full 60 frames. Performance for me with 1600x900 at 30p is extremely consistent however so I've settled with that.

1920x1080 seems pretty consistent frame pacing wise, but with 2GB of VRAM, I'm seeing the occasional drop still pop in, which I'm assuming is due to things loading into RAM.

TitusTroy

It uses less VRAM now.

approximately how much VRAM does it use now on average?...does it fix the random fatal error crashes as well?...I completed the game after the October patch but would still get occasional crashes

has performance improved when enabling all the Nvidia smoke, debris effects?

Kezen

Banned
approximately how much VRAM does it use now on average?...does it fix the random fatal error crashes as well?...I completed the game after the October patch but would still get occasional crashes

has performance improved when enabling all the Nvidia smoke, debris effects?

The game crashes when I run MSI Afterburner but the in-game VRAM meter says 3280mb using the game's best textures.

Gameworks features are still very taxing, when all four are enabled the framerate is unplayable on my single 980.

jett

D-Member
I'd like to believe that this is the patch that actually fixed the game, but I don't. I'm not gonna redownload 30GB just to probably suffer the same memory leaks.

jett

D-Member
Was hdd so cramped that you needed to delete it last time? Or was it a rage delete?

I'm usually hovering around 100GB left, so I figured I'd delete it. I had done everything but the Riddler challenges anyway. I don't have oodles of space I guess. I was thinking about completing the game on hard mode if it was fixed. I kept it installed until the second patch, when that shit didn't fix anything, after waiting like two-three months, I nuked its ass.

x3sphere

30pfs, 60fps, or both? Framepacing was my major issue with it. If that's fixed I'll download it agsin

Only tested 60. It's not perfect though, I still get some hitches usually when driving the batmobile but they're less frequent. Smoke effects are still pretty demanding as well and drop me into the 40s on a 980 Ti at 3440x1440.

Running really well for me, actually smoother than Arkham City because it doesn't stutter.
Then again I've only gotten to the part where you first get the batmobile, I don't know if there's some kind of frame rate problems later in the game.
Running it maxed at 1080P with all Nvidia effects off except for enhanced rain.

Specs:

980 Ti
i7 5820k
16Gb RAM
Win 10 x64

Also using this to remove the fight effects still works, I recommend using that + HUD toggle if you want a more immersive looking game :p

Running it maxed at 1080P with all Nvidia effects off except for enhanced rain.

Enhanced rain is great, the fog is the real perf killer but on a 980ti you should be able to have it all.

I'm running a stock 4670 + 16gb Ram + 980ti and its pretty good maxed. Although I haven't actually done a framerate check.

In fact I'm downsampling from 2880 x whatever!

kodecraft

It's not about bothering with modelling them. The Batmobiles originally don't have "battle modes". It's only fair to think that they left them vanilla by purpose,

This, the default Batmobile is an upgrade from the other Batmobiles, because of the tank mode. It is an original design.

jett

D-Member
Okay, redownloaded it, cuz I need some closure on this ordeal. :p It seems like they finally fixed the horrible memory leaking on my end? I don't seem to be getting the multi-second stutters anymore. In 30 minutes of play I got just a couple moments of brief stutters when I reached a new area and when I called the Batmobile once. I'm not ready to say it's completely fix because hell it may break down again if I play it for longer, but it seems okay now. Too bad I already finished it, but I guess there's hard mode.

Framerate-wise it's the same. A locked 60fps is an impossibility, it always goes down when you drive the tankmobile or when you're flying around the city.

p.s. Rain effects on the tankmobile are still shit. I don't understand this one at all.

dEvAnGeL

this pleases me-

hoping for winter sale discount-
Don't be to pleased, fog is indeed the killer, i have a 980ti and if i want something close to a locked 60 i have to disable enhanced lights or however that's called and fog because lights tanks the framerate while gliding and the fog while driving the batmobile

dr_rus

Don't be to pleased, fog is indeed the killer, i have a 980ti and if i want something close to a locked 60 i have to disable enhanced lights or however that's called and fog because lights tanks the framerate while gliding and the fog while driving the batmobile

I'm running the game on 980ti with everything on at very much a locked 60Hz in 1080p. The GPU load remains below 70% most of the time and the only places where I'm seeing dips is during the fast batmobile driving.

The game has always run kinda well for me but after the last couple of patches I really can't see anything wrong with its performance.

I'm running the game on 980ti with everything on at very much a locked 60Hz in 1080p. The GPU load remains below 70% most of the time and the only places where I'm seeing dips is during the fast batmobile driving.

The game has always run kinda well for me but after the last couple of patches I really can't see anything wrong with its performance.

most of us have a very different definition of what a "very much locked 60hz" is. the game drops frames and has absolutely awful frametime variance anytime you enter the batmobile or fly above the city. those 2 activities combined count for over half of the game time during the campaign.

wazoo

game is fine on my 970 max at 1080p. not even filling my 4gb vram.

running vsync off + gsync, the game is north of 60fps most of the time and beautifully fluid 100% of the time thanks to gsync

dr_rus

most of us have a very different definition of what a "very much locked 60hz" is. the game drops frames and has absolutely awful frametime variance anytime you enter the batmobile or fly above the city. those 2 activities combined count for over half of the game time during the campaign.

A locked 60 means that the game runs with vsync on most of the time. Frametimes doesn't matter much with vsync as vsync has built in frame pacing but they are perfectly fine right now.

I repeat - after the last couple of patches the game perform great on 980Ti in 1080p with every setting cranked to on/max. I can't see how anyone can be unhappy with the performance of the game right now. If there are issues then they are more than likely related to the machine in question and not the game itself.

At 720p with the lowest settings possible, a locked 60 is completely out of reach. The game stutters snd drops frames constantly in the 2 scenarios i described above. This has been verified on enough machines. Dont see how anyone with a high end pc could be happy with this game technically. And its still missing proper rain and rain shaders from the console versions

Kezen

Banned
Frametimes are good actually, I've already posted mine (full batmobile runs).
XYgVthq.png

And this is before the latest patch, maybe I'll record another one just for kicks.

Kezen

Banned
Same run, Batmobile from beginning to end at high speed :
M6qdkFJ.png

As usual not "perfectly" smooth but the game runs very well. The rain is slightly heavier and the rain shaders more flagrant.

16gb of RAM + SSD greatly helps.

Top Bottom