• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Gemüsepizza;169536131 said:
https://twitter.com/Seftonhill/with_replies

tweet1cephx.png

tweet22vrdp.png

The patch better be today

Ibuki

Banned
If they take it so seriously, why would they let this garbage get released in the first place?

The whole 'some users are having issues' is pretty ridiculous. It should say 'almost all'.

After downloading the game a second time, I click play and get a "Preparing to launch Batman: Arkham Knight message". It's been there five minutes now.

RulkezX

The game has some set of memory leak. If I keep running the benchmark the performance keeps going down on each run until I reboot. Changing the graphics settings doesn't even effect performance.

Indeed.

I said a few pages back I ran the game with everything on low @ 720p and it was still largely below 30 with frequent freezes and drops into single digits.

Edit trolololololol the fucking game crashes on launch now, just brings up the splash screen then /dead

padlock

I think there are really two possibilities here:

One: The game was at some point working properly on the PC, but some last minute snafu (a major regression introduced in the release build, the wrong version released, etc.) caused all the issues. If that's the case, this should be relatively easy to work out, and I would expect we should get a fixed version soon.

Two: The game never worked well on the PC. It could be that the game was built around the relatively large unified memory pool that consoles have access to, and porting it to a PC is simply a much more difficult task then they expected. Or perhaps they simply didn't allocate enough resources to the PC port. If that's the case, then I suspect we won't have a properly 'fixed' version for a very long time, if ever.

If the former proves to be true, then I think it could be forgiveable as a simple fuck up. If the later proves to be the case, then I absolutely think WB should be held accountable for knowingly releasing the game in an unacceptable state. This kind of behaviour should simply not be tolerated in any way.

jett

D-Member
If they take it so seriously, why would they let this garbage get released in the first place?

The whole 'some users are having issues' is pretty ridiculous. It should say 'almost all'.

When they say "we take this very seriously" they mean they take the taking of your money very seriously.

Was there any mention of an external developer before launch? Would never have bought it if I knew even if it was only $30.
Especially if Dave Lang was involved

Well if it was great, you wouldnt have

Now that there are all these problems SURPRISE its not rocksteady's fault, there is this third party we didnt hear about before.

Lulubop

I can't even launch the damn thing. smh. What a mess. Mad Max was looking pretty cool but unless GMG has it for 90 percent off, no day 1 for me.

Hatty

What a disappointment this experience has been. This, Witcher 3 and MGSV are really all I've been looking forward to this year. Let's hope it's 2/3 for PC ports with MGSV.
If ground zeroes is anything to go by it should be fantastic
But then again Konami

Tecnniqe

Banned
Wow that's terrible. It's like they really went out of their way to make this a bad experience for pc players.

wtf...they purposefully went out of their way to make sure NVidia people didnt get it.

what
the
fuck

Im glad they aint gonna see a single cent from me. I can live without a 10m or whatever DLC, but doing THAT and THEN releasing a trash port like this.

Go home Rocksteady, even Rockstar managed to do better and they give no shits about PC.

Kinthalis

Banned
Guess most of us share the same opinion on that question

So pretty much the same as me except the timeframe. How bad is it at 1440p on a 780ti for you? I think you play at 1440p yes?

At 1440p on my 780ti and 3770k @ 4.3 Ghz Everythign on the highest it will go (textures normal since they won't go higher) and Nvidia stuff off I get 50-60 FPS.

Which would be fine most of the time - Witcher 3 runs that well for me too with almost all on Ultra, and it feels nice and smooth with a locked 50 FPS, but it's the frame times and frame variance that kills it in this game. Stutter, texture pop-in, pretty much the only time the game feels mostly smooth (but not perfectly smooth) is when gliding. Frame rate will sometimes tank to mid 30's for no apparent reason too - like staring at a wall in the evidence room.

The batmobile is another story, it jumps from 60 FPS to 30 to 45 back to 55. It's bad.

If they fix the stutter and pop-in, and the batmobile frame rate, I'm good. I would still be dissapointed at the lower quality shaders and no AO, but what am I gonna do? No way to get a refund, I'm afraid.

d00d3n

My 980ti, a nearly 6 TF GPU, is missing features the Xbox Ones 1.3 TF GPU has like AO.

What a fucking disgrace. Absolutely shameful

Wait, what?!? So PS4 and Xbone versions have AO? Sad to say that this information would mess with my enjoyment of the game in a major way.

What a disappointment this experience has been. This, Witcher 3 and MGSV are really all I've been looking forward to this year. Let's hope it's 2/3 for PC ports with MGSV.

MGSV should be fine given how GZ turned out.

Though I'm double dipping on that regardless (probably). I can't wait 2 weeks for the PC version. Madness.

Soi-Fong

At 1440p on my 780ti and 3770k @ 4.3 Ghz Everythign on the highest it will go (textures normal since they won't go higher) and Nvidia stuff off I get 50-60 FPS.

Which would be fine most of the time - Witcher 3 runs that well for me too with almost all on Ultra, and it feels nice and smooth with a locked 50 FPS, but it's the frame times and frame variance that kills it in this game. Stutter, texture pop-in, pretty much the only time the game feels mostly smooth (but not perfectly smooth) is when gliding. Frame rate will sometimes tank to mid 30's for no apparent reason too - like staring at a wall in the evidence room.

The batmobile is another story, it jumps from 60 FPS to 30 to 45 back to 55. It's bad.

If they fix the stutter and pop-in, and the batmobile frame rate, I'm good. I would still be dissapointed at the lower quality shaders and no AO, but what am I gonna do? No way to get a refund, I'm afraid.

Oh so it's actually playable with a 780 Ti? My Classified version hopefully is up to the task then. I'll just leave the cap to 30 and be done with it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Okay, it might just be because my eyes aren't the best but when looking at the Nvidia Gameworks Video, and the PS4/PC/XB1 comparison video is it just me or does the wet cape effect look better in the nvidia gameworks video?

Gameworks: https://youtu.be/zsjmLNZtvxk?t=51
Comparison: https://youtu.be/_BcV6LWVDaw?t=225

Edit: I can't read this morning. It wouldn't be the first Nvidia-related downgrade: in the final version of Alice: Madness Returns, fluid simulation and destructible terrain is pared back drastically compared to the PhysX promo video. The latter in particular is limited to one section of the game (and not the one in the video).

BiggNife

Did anyone else who redeemed a key through Geforce's site notice that the game isn't showing up at all in your steam profile? When I go to my steam community profile, it doesn't list the game at all, and the steam activity feed doesn't list the achievements I got or the review I wrote to warn my friends not to buy it. What gives?

I removed the 30 fps limit and set a limit to 30 fps in Riva tuner. That helped a bit, but it's still bad.

I was standing and looking at a soda machine and it took 20+ seconds before the texture popped in.

Agreed.

Putting the game down and waiting to finish Witcher 3. I got about another 100hrs on that game anyway. Fuck this shit. I can't believe there is no CRUCIAL ambient occlusion!!

Me too, but... Yenn keeps on nagging meee!! Woman, I'll wear whateva I want!

How I wish I hadn't put in ~200 hours on TW3. My next play-through will be after CDPR releases all the DLC and patches the game some more (big patch 1.07 incoming).

BAK was supposed to be what helps pass the time. Guess now I will play something in my backlog of 200 games instead.

I'm holding you to this, Mr. Hill.
LOL, "some users", the fucking nerve of these guys.
Why the damn hell do these guys never learn that it's better to be straight with the consumers?

Instead they are saying as if we are idiots and as if the problem is only limited to some.

I tried the game and couldn't even get past the first cutscene before the Wwise error kicked in. Glorious.

Akronis

I hope it's a bug.

If not then they are simply incompetent and couldn't get it working but released it anyway and hoped nobody would notice. That along with the wet cape shader being missing, hairworks getting cancelled and less rain effects.

I'd really like know wtf happened to the PC version of this game.

Looking through this post, I want to apologize to you. I can't believe PC doesn't have AO; that would explain why the PS4 version looks better. Sorry man.

holygeesus

Banned
Let's be honest, this whole title has had a nightmare launch. We've had limited/collectors editions delayed/cancelled, and as soon as I read that no PC code was being sent out for review, it was clear this was just another chapter.

My guess is WB have cracked the whip in all regards with this title, cutting costs on the models for the collectors sets etc as well as rushing out the PC port, and the removing of PC features, and frame limits, were damage limitation. Doesn't appear to have worked out so well in that regard though.

Xamdou

Was going the PC route but will go get the Limited PS4 edition instead. I'll probably pick up the PC GOTY edition with all dlc during a steam sale down the line.

I noticed a huge difference in how nice the game looks outdoors with gameworks on vs off. Looks way nicer with all effects enabled.

Conspiracy theory:

NVidia got the dev to downgrade the no-effects version to show more of a difference.

Course they also put a 30 FPS limit in the INI and only have Medium textures selectable on a 12GB Titan X...

I have a feeling that it's more than just merely a patch. It's gotta be a whole new (ie, "correct") build of the game.

Thats what it would take.

The entire thing needs to be rebuilt.

We are talking about a PC port that not only barely runs but in 2015 has

- highest textures is "Normal"
- No AO
- Cant turn off Film Grain
- Cant turn off CA
- 30 fps cap unless ini tweaks
- uses basically the entire RAM of ypur GPU regardless of how much you have

Total catastrophe

th4tguy

I will say this. Despite all of the issues people are having, at least they have the option to return it. There should be some solace in that. I hope MS and Sony learn from this and allow a similar return policy for their digital purchases.

RulkezX

Thats what it would take.

The entire thing needs to be rebuilt.

We are talking about a PC port that not only barely runs but in 2015 has

- highest textures is "Normal"
- No AO
- Cant turn off Film Grain
- Cant turn off CA
- 30 fps cap unless ini tweaks
- uses basically the entire RAM of ypur GPU regardless of how much you have

Total catastrophe

Can't turn off the horrendous motion blur either

Kinthalis

Banned
Oh so it's actually playable with a 780 Ti? My Classified version hopefully is up to the task then. I'll just leave the cap to 30 and be done with it.

I belive so. I haven't tried capping the framerate to 30 yet via MSI afterburner.

But I think that won't eb enough. The stutters are huge frametime dips, like down to 10 FPS for a split second. It doesn't affect the avg frame rate, but you can feel-em stutter. Liek the world is busy loading stuff for a fraction of a second.

I'll report back tonight.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did anyone else who redeemed a key through Geforce's site notice that the game isn't showing up at all in your steam profile? When I go to my steam community profile, it doesn't list the game at all, and the steam activity feed doesn't list the achievements I got or the review I wrote to warn my friends not to buy it. What gives?
Related Steam Community activity will be visible once section_type ownersonly is removed.

Soi-Fong

My programmer friend at Iron Galaxy just responded to my message from before. The whole studio is all hands on deck for the performance issues so hopefully, some of the big problems are fixed soon.

komorebi

This really does sound like we got an early build of the game.

I'm starting to think this as well, or at least something along these lines. I've followed this thread since the beginning and there's too much that doesn't add up.

I will say this. Despite all of the issues people are having, at least they have the option to return it. I hope MS and Sony learn from this and allow a similar return policy for their digital purchases.

Except that a very large portion of us don't: those who got it from Nvidia, those who bought spare codes from members here (i.e. me), those who bought from GMG, Nuuvem, etc. I've learned my lesson but the truth is even if I bought it through Steam, I'm not sure I would demand a refund. The game itself is great, its the port or this borked build, or whatever, that's the problem.

Top Bottom