• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Tovarisc

Edit: I can't read this morning. It wouldn't be the first Nvidia-related downgrade: in the final version of Alice: Madness Returns, fluid simulation and destructible terrain is pared back drastically compared to the PhysX promo video. The latter in particular is limited to one section of the game (and not the one in the video).

Even with enhanced rain turned off cape looks better in GameWorks video than in comparison video.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Weird how this game used to be shown on PC rather than PS4 not too long ago, but now PC version has so many problems.

Not really. Those demos were highly-controlled "vertical slices" [Trigger warning: Kotaku article]. I'm sure Rocksteady was working on them directly to make sure they were as polished as they could be. The full final game is a different matter altogether.

ABdcI08.png
I half expect this to be official.
Let's be honest, this whole title has had a nightmare launch. We've had limited/collectors editions delayed/cancelled, and as soon as I read that no PC code was being sent out for review, it was clear this was just another chapter.

My guess is WB have cracked the whip in all regards with this title, cutting costs on the models for the collectors sets etc as well as rushing out the PC port, and the removing of PC features, and frame limits, were damage limitation. Doesn't appear to have worked out so well in that regard though.

Last I heard, they cancelled the collector's edition because the statues got borked, not because of anything related to the software itself. A lot of games are really trying to push the next-gen versions due to the PS4's success, which leads to obscuring the PC version until post release; Witcher 3 even did this, and it turned out just fine on PC.

It's dumb but that's how they try to maximise sales.

With all the clusterfuck going on, this game...actually works for me. No issues whatsoever after 4 hours of continuous play. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know this isn't helping anyone with issues, but just want to put it out there. Really don't know why it's like this.

Preloaded the game yesterday, didn't have to do any integrity checks or redownloads.

Core i5-4670K @ default 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
Gigabyte 970 G1
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Win 8.1 Pro

Playing on a 1080p TV via Steam Big Picture mode.

Everything maxed except Interactive Smoke & Interactive Paper.

Followed the instructions from PCGW regarding AF (from 2 to 16), frame rate set to 60, motion blur off.
Getting a locked 60fps experience with occasional dips while in the Batmobile (especially during fast turns or blowing up stuff --> particle effects going crazy).

Again, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Really hope WB/Rocksteady/Lang's Phone get this patch ASAP because the game isn't working for MOST of the people.

Peterthumpa

Thats what it would take.
- highest textures is "Normal"
- No AO
- Cant turn off Film Grain
- Cant turn off CA

- 30 fps cap unless ini tweaks
- uses basically the entire RAM of ypur GPU regardless of how much you have

Not trying to be the Devil's advocate here, but the first is purely a naming convention, "Normal" could be their "high" and "low" their normal, nomenclature.

The other two are features that are present in a lot of games and that sometimes are also permanently enabled (see Dying Light, Lords of the Fallen pre-patch, etc). Totally up to the developer.

Agree with everything else though.

kizzmaul

Neo Member
Well I hope I'm not late... my rig consists of the following:

i7 3770K @ 4,4GHz
8GB ram
R9 290X

The game is buttery smooth for me apart from the batmobile. It stutters occasionally and the framerate fluctuates.

PC Performance test:
Minimum 60
Maximum 115
Average 84

This is everything apart from nVidia settings maxed.

Kinthalis

Banned
With all the clusterfuck going on, this game...actually works for me. No issues whatsoever after 4 hours of continuous play. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know this isn't helping anyone with issues, but just want to put it out there. Really don't know why it's like this.

Preloaded the game yesterday, didn't have to do any integrity checks or redownloads.

8GB RAM
Gigabyte 970 G1
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Win 8.1 Pro

Followed the instructions from PCGW regarding AF (from 2 to 16), frame rate set to 60, motion blur off.
Getting a locked 60fps experience with occasional dips while in the Batmobile (especially during fast turns or blowing up stuff --> particle effects going crazy).

Again, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Really hope WB/Rocksteady/Lang's Phone get this patch ASAP because the game isn't working for MOST of the people.

Hmmm SSD... I wonder if that helps with the stutter.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
My programmer friend at Iron Galaxy just responded to my message from before. The whole studio is all hands on deck for the performance issues so hopefully, some of the big problems are fixed soon.
Ask him if someone even played that build for even 2 minutes or not.

Anyway, thanks for info.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmmm SSD... I wonder if that helps with the stutter.

I have the game installed to an SSD myself and didn't experience any stutter/texture streaming/framerate issues (though I did leave the 30fps cap in place) in my one hour with the game.

epmode

The other two are features that are present in a lot of games and that sometimes are also permanently enabled (see Dying Light, Lords of the Fallen pre-patch, etc). Totally up to the developer.
It's garbage there too. I propose a constitutional ammendment mandating the option to disable chromatic aberration.

MaddenNFL64

8GB RAM
Gigabyte 970 G1
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Win 8.1 Pro

Again, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Check if you have cape effects like the console version and ambient occlusion.

Well unlocking the framerate and enabling the Half refresh adaptive vsync option in Nvidia control panel seems to be the best bet for now.. its locked 30fps this way (At least on 60hz monitors) but its running smoother than before.

Would I be doing anything different in the Nvidia control panel for a 120hz monitor?

Green Yoshi

Why are there still remains of old Ios ports in the ini.file? How can you fail to implement graphics options in an Unreal Engine 3 game? That doesn't even require coding, only a reference in the ini.file.

Seriously, Rocksteady should do the port. Not Iron Galaxy.Was Mortal Kombat X for PC ever fixed completely? Rocksteady knows their game and has more than enough experience with x86-machines.

Not trying to be the Devil's advocate here, but the first is purely a naming convention, "Normal" could be their "high" and "low" their normal, nomenclature.

Agree with everything else though.

Dying Light updated the game and allows you turn off stuff like Film Grain now

Not to mention "Normal" textures are worse than PS4

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My programmer friend at Iron Galaxy just responded to my message from before. The whole studio is all hands on deck for the performance issues so hopefully, some of the big problems are fixed soon.

Did you friend offer any explanation why the PC port ending up like this?

DagsJT

My game crashed 5 mins in and an error box appeared showing "Fatal error!" BUILD_JULY_2012"

I'm sure this game wasn't built in 2012 but it's a little odd.

pahamrick

It also looks like AO exists in the Gameworks video.

Edit: I can't read this morning. It wouldn't be the first Nvidia-related downgrade: in the final version of Alice: Madness Returns, fluid simulation and destructible terrain is pared back drastically compared to the PhysX promo video. The latter in particular is limited to one section of the game (and not the one in the video).

This really does sound like we got an early build of the game.

So either things were changed for 'performance' reasons, or we got an earlier / older build? Tough choices. I really want to play, but I keep getting a crash without fail every so often.

Why are people getting hung up on this? There's no standard definition for 'high', 'normal' or 'low' textures, so them calling the highest detail textures they have 'normal' means nothing. They could just as easily have called them 'high'.

Probably because they look worse than console? Or at the best of times equal?

They most certainly are not "high"

Conspiracy theory:

NVidia got the dev to downgrade the no-effects version to show more of a difference.

You're right, that's a crazy conspiracy theory.

Thats what it would take.

The entire thing needs to be rebuilt.

We are talking about a PC port that not only barely runs but in 2015 has

- highest textures is "Normal"
- No AO
- Cant turn off Film Grain
- Cant turn off CA
- 30 fps cap unless ini tweaks
- uses basically the entire RAM of ypur GPU regardless of how much you have

Total catastrophe

Ambient occlusion settings are present in the System Settings INI.

Can't turn off the horrendous motion blur either

You can turn off motion blur in the INI file mentioned in the OP.

paolo11

Thanks. I really wish they can fix the performance and make it more stable than Arkham Origins. Is that possible?

They'll release some patches to address a few things, but if history has taught me anything, pc ports this messed up never get fixed properly. They bide their time with PR apologies and promises, then trickle out fixes over what could be months. Eventually enough time has passed that 1) they've gotten most of the sales they can expect from PC and 2) realize that there isn't enough consumer interest left to justify putting in any more development time, then the game is abandoned in a slightly "not as bad" but still lackluster state.

I got it for free with my video card and I'm still pretty disappointed. I hope those of you that paid for it can refund it and wait UNTIL it gets fixed to your satisfaction or got a really good deal on it so you're not losing much money.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Andrew Burnes from Nvidia did not post his geforce graphics guide like usual with all Nvidia sponsored games, so even Nvidia knew that there is something wrong here.

lets hope they can fix this.

pahamrick

Any other 970 owners care to comment on their experiences? The batmobile sections run like dog shit, a lot of freezing and stuttering

I've got a 970, and the Batmobile settings are mostly smooth for me when locked at 30.

That said, I'm running Windows 10 and AK is on an SSD. It seems like a total crapshoot. A friend of mine has a stronger system, has AK on an SSD and using Windows 8.1 and he said his stutter is so bad he can't even glide let alone drive the batmobile.

And to think I missed out on an extra $10 reward zone certificate just to play it on PC with a 980 ti. This may be the first time that was the wrong thing to do.

Any other 970 owners care to comment on their experiences? The batmobile sections run like dog shit, a lot of freezing and stuttering

Two hours last night with zero issues. Supposed to swap it out tomorrow for a 980ti.

Top Bottom