• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight On PC Is Not Very Good [UP: WB suspends future sales until fix]

Who is responsible for this mess of a port?

Results are only viewable after voting.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Images shamelessly stolen from a comment on the Eurogamer thread:

So, you guys want to see something funny? The PC version isn't just missing effects like AO - certain textures and models are entirely absent:

PC:
UBmA8LS.jpg

PS4:
9GMeSLB.jpg

PC:
cm4r0qJ.jpg

PS4:
olpRlpx.jpg

Holy fucking shit.

I am actually kind of concerned that they will NEVER get the PC version to remotely where it should be.I know its early to say that, but this is an absolute unfinished mess.

I got my copy free with one of my 970's, but if by the time I finish Wild Hunt, they haven't performed miracles on this game via patch, I am buying the PS4 version.

T.O.P

Banned
"The Recommended Spec is intended to deliver an experience on par with the current generation of gaming platforms."

Yup, fuck them

Ain't buying this anymore

BFIB

So, you guys want to see something funny? The PC version isn't just missing effects like AO - certain textures and models are entirely absent:

I don't usually buy into the whole "Master race" discussion, however, as a gamer, I fully expect PC ports to run better than console ports. I'm OK with that, since the hardware is constantly refreshed on one end, and on consoles, we just don't have that. It is what it is.

But this just reeks of shoddy port. Hopefully it gets fixed for you PC gamers.

trOOly

Neo Member
And I was so close to buying a new gaming notebook just because of this game... Well, I guess Twitch streams will make up for all the clusterfuck I've been missing.

Seems like those companies really want to kill PC gaming. What a bunch of dweebs.

Stitch

Gold Member
Also worth mentioning that NVIDIA's pre-release videos showcasing their tech were recorded at 60 fps and had proper AO, so what the hell went wrong?

They were uploaded in 60 FPS but there are some heavy slowdowns in the videos. Even NVIDIA didn't manage to get a stable framerate.

b0bbyJ03

Real question here, why is it that with game software there never seems to be any legal action taken when the developer doesn't deliver on their end of the bargain? I've never taken the time to look into this but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that might know. From my point of view, I paid for something and it turns out that it was falsely advertised and seemingly broken. How can that be OK? I've seen class action lawsuits for a lot less but I don't think I've seen it happen in gaming. I'd appreciate any insight.

Nzyme32

I don't know, the mass refunds might backfire if some ill informed WB execs see it and are like FUCK THESE GUYS and decide not to improve future ports.

That's their mistake to make. I won't buy there games till they put out good products; if they don't want to put out quaility products or any at all then I'll never play those games - their loss

cheesekao

Yeah I don't see why people get angry at this.

I think in most PC gamer's estimation, this is a bad port.

However, if this game would have been released like this on PS4, would any significant share of PS4 gaf give a shit?

When locked at 30 FPS, outside from batmobile enduced frame rate drops, the game runs pretty well. Hell, PS4 GAF has downplayed things like AO and better shaders on PC version of games since the gen started! Of course now, AO and better shaders are the best thing ever since sliced bread, who would have thunk it.
Unless you can prove that those who didn't give a shit about AO and better shaders previously are the ones who care about it now, your point is entirely moot.

PC:
UBmA8LS.jpg

PS4:
9GMeSLB.jpg

PC:
cm4r0qJ.jpg

PS4:
olpRlpx.jpg

This has been checked in the other thread. User said that the planto are there on the occasion version.
change due to ivy?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Holy fucking shit.

I am actually kind of concerned that they will NEVER get the PC version to remotely where it should be.I know its early to say that, but this is an absolute unfinished mess.

I got my copy free with one of my 970's, but if by the time I finish Wild Hunt, they haven't performed miracles on this game via patch, I am buying the PS4 version.

Be sure to buy it used or rent it in Redbox. No need to support the devs on this one if they can't turn it around.

I don't know, the mass refunds might backfire if some ill informed WB execs see it and are like FUCK THESE GUYS and decide not to improve future ports.

On the other hand, PC gamers suck it up, and they continue to use cheap-ass porting houses on future games.

Banned
In Batman Arkham Knight for PC, players take control of the capped crusader, to drop enemies like the game drops frames. Villains so vicious, they lack a conscious like the game lacks AO and textures. When you need to even the odds, summon the batmobile and studder about Gotham with its janky controls. Investigate the disappearance of wet textures, ambient occlusion and navigate Warner Bros. massive PR spin cycle!

Featuring exclusive nvidia features like game works which is sure to leave your PC crashing. Includes an innovative DRM application known to slow down performance of games for no reason, PC and Nvidia is the place to play and experience the definitive version of Batman Arkham Knight.

UrbanRats

wowowow.

How deep does this go?

EDIT: Oh it's just a story thing? Also, why are those petals painted on the ground? Looks so weird.

PC:
UBmA8LS.jpg

PS4:
9GMeSLB.jpg

PC:
cm4r0qJ.jpg

PS4:
olpRlpx.jpg

Jesus H Christ, this is the definition of a shoddy port. If I hadn't have got this game with my GPU I wouldn't even touch the PC version. Just gonna power through it out of spite, these aresholes aren't getting my money for another version.

Kinthalis

Banned
Unless you can prove that those who didn't give a shit about AO and better shaders previously are the ones who care about it now, your point is entirely moot.

I probably could, but I've got better things to do with my time.

I was speaking generally though. In general, things like AO and shader quality being better on PC is downplayed by console GAF. in GENERAL, these things are being lauded now as part of the definitive PS4 experience.

The latter is correct. The PS4 is the better graphical showpiece (frame rate is very important to me though so, for me, it's still a sub-par experience), the former is standard fanboy crap.

"The Recommended Spec is intended to deliver an experience on par with the current generation of gaming platforms."

Yup, fuck them

Ain't buying this anymore

Bought it already :(

At least they earned a spot on my permanent shit list of not buying games anymore. Right along EA and Ubisoft.

I was excited for Mad Max, i think Fury Road is the best movie thus far this year, and one of the best action movies period. But WB can shove that game up their cheap and incompetent ass.

Catdaddy

PC:
UBmA8LS.jpg

PS4:
9GMeSLB.jpg

PC:
cm4r0qJ.jpg

PS4:
olpRlpx.jpg

Holy mother of pearl!

d3vnull

It's more than clear that WB doesn't give a rats ass about pc gamers.

I'm on team pessimist. Hope I'm wrong though.

Dario ff

Banned
This port will never be up to par with consoles. Mark my words.
This port maybe. Rocksteady could always re-do the port from another version like XB1 instead tho. I mean they certainly had a PC build mid-development at a certain point if Nvidia was adding fluff. (Kinda doubt Iron Galaxy has been working on this for that long)

We don't really know how screwed up this version actually is tho yet, but it's not uncommon for some of these to get to a point where you might as well restart. No matter how much experience a porting house could have they only care to get the game out, they don't know your codebase as well as the main studio does or how every quirk of the game is supposed to work.

mm04

I'm so glad my 970 came with Witcher 3 free instead. Had I bought the card a little later it would've been this game. Dodged a bullet there.

GeoGonzo

What a glorious disaster. Like everyone else I don't know yet who to blame for this, but... that won't stop me from giving it a try! Bwahaha!

1st place: WB, because I've disliked their anticonsumer practices for a while now and I've been itching to find a place of honour for them in my shit list. Well, this is it: you made it guys.

2nd place: Rocksteady. I don't even care if the "suits" of WB forced then to outsource the pc port: they fucked up. It is still their baby, their logo at the start of the game.

3rd place: Iron Galaxy. Kind of feeling bad for them, since they're the easiest target. Maybe they messed up, maybe they didn't... one thing for sure is that this port is the first thing that will come to my mind whenever I see their name/logo in the future.

cheesekao

I was speaking generally though. In general, things like AO and shader quality being better on PC is downplayed by console GAF. in GENERAL, these things are being lauded now as part of the definitive PS4 experience.

The latter is correct. The PS4 is the better graphical showpiece (frame rate is very important to me though so, for me, it's still a sub-par experience), the former is standard fanboy crap.
Well if you're not gonna back your statement up, you should refrain from making unfounded blanket statements or at least change how you convey your message to make them less 'definitive' and such. It may 'seem' like that but those two parties could very well be different people.

Here we go. Every time I see you you're fighting the good fight

b0bbyJ03

In Batman Arkham Knight for PC, players take control of the capped crusader, to drop enemies like the game drops frames. Villains so vicious, they lack a conscious like the game lacks AO and textures. When you need to even the odds, summon the batmobile and studder about Gotham with its janky controls. Investigate the disappearance of wet textures, ambient occlusion and navigate Warner Bros. massive PR spin cycle!

Featuring exclusive nvidia features like game works which is sure to leave your PC crashing. Includes an innovative DRM application known to slow down performance of games for no reason, PC and Nvidia is the place to play and experience the definitive version of Batman Arkham Knight.

I literally laughed out loud in my office reading this.

Kinthalis

Banned
Why is everyone saying this?

There seems to be a lot of issues, but you're right, they aren't insurmountable. It's just that most people right now thinking that either WB/Rocksteady won't be willing to put forth the effort to fix this and/or the porting house won't have the necessary expertise to fix all of the issues.

Basically, peple have lost faith. Can't blame them. But I'm hoping patch 1 will restore hope! ... for all our sakes.

In my mind the issues that need to be resolved:

- Texture/LOD Streaming (probably the cause of stutter as well)
- Performance issues in Batmobile - possibly a PhysX issue, possibly some unoptimized geometry or shader while running in the batmobile?)
- Shaders bugged or missing - and not just rain effects.
- AA sucks. Need better AA.
- AO is missing. Need HBAO+!
- Depth of field appears to be of lower quality.
- Improved performance on lower end hardware.
- GRAPHICS OPTIONS. God damn it, film grain is ugly. Blur is ugly. Need more optiosn to turn this stuff down/off.

It's a long list, but it's not AC:Unity long.

Vitor711

I'm so glad Steam refunds now exist. This is fucking ridiculous.

So does GMG, see below:

Hello Vitor711,
We know that you have experienced problems with Batman: Arkham Knight, which we know is frustrating. Rest assured that we are speaking with Warner Bros, who are working to resolve the problems. We ask you to be patient and wait for the update, which we hope will be released shortly. The link below is the official response from WB Interactive.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Supp...you/m-p/571341

We have also detailed a bunch of tweaks, which you can do to your machine, which may get you up and running sooner.

http://blog.playfire.com/2015/06/bat...uidelines.html

We want you to enjoy, your game, but if after the fix has been released, you still cannot play your game, we will process your request for a refund.

Regards,
Chiara

Green Man Gaming & Playfire
Customer Service

Kinthalis

Banned
Well if you're not gonna back your statement up, you should refrain from making unfounded blanket statements or at least change how you convey your message to make them less 'definitive' and such. It may 'seem' like that but those two parties could very well be different people.

Perhaps so.. but they would still be console GAF.

I take your point though, it doesn't necessarily mean hypocrisy is the end result. And although I implied that, it's not really my main point.

My main point is that some people are perfeclty happy with playing the copy of the game that ISN'T a graphical showpiece, and it's beyond childish (and pointless) to be mad at them for doing so - this applies to BOTH console gamers, and PC gamers.

Top Bottom