• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight On PC Is Not Very Good [UP: WB suspends future sales until fix]

Who is responsible for this mess of a port?

Results are only viewable after voting.

galvatron

So, has anyone updated the Box art with all the bad reviews plastered all over it to match this one?

51J9mT71gDL._AC_UL320_SR260,320_.jpg

I expect we're not going to get many more PC versions of WB games next year.

They created this mess and are going to blame the audience for it.

Seeing how this kind of thing seems to be par for the course as far as games they publish go (on PC at least - Arkham Origins, Shadow of Mordor, Mortal Kombat X, now Arkham Knight), it's probably a good thing.

Seeing how this kind of thing seems to be par for the course as far as games they publish go (on PC at least - Arkham Origins, Shadow of Mordor, Mortal Kombat X, now Arkham Knight), it's probably a good thing.

No, it's not! The games should still be released but they need adequate development and dev testing even if it releases after launch.

Nzyme32

If WB are suspending sales, I'd like to think the the response and usage of Steam Refunds is having a powerful enough effect that they can't stand the current state of sales being retained on the PC along with the bad press associated to them. I hope this can have a happy ending where we actually get an excellent PC version, but I highly doubt that

If WB are suspending sales, I'd like to think the the response and usage of Steam Refunds is having a powerful enough effect that they can't stand the current state of sales being retained on the PC along with the bad press associated to them. I hope this can have a happy ending where we actually get an excellent PC version, but I highly doubt that

At this point I'd be happy to take a "sufficient PC version".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Steam is really quite awesome right now.

The ability to get a refund for a busted game combined with the fact that user reviews receive prominent placement on the product page and we finally have a situation where publishers really have to face the results of putting out shoddy products.

yami4ct

This is super surrprising. Guess Steam Refunds actually work. I also guess that this means there's no quick fix and we'll be waiting a while to get anything near playable.

I have a $25 dell GC expiring soon, so I guess I'll just pick up the PS4 version. I got the game free with my 970, so I'm SOL on any sort of refund or compensation. Don't want to give WB money, but I want to play the game. Hopefully PC players will get something once this is all fixed up that makes going back worth while.

I think this is a worse debacle than the Assassin's Creed Unity launch last year.

I wonder if they will give out season passes to pc owners or something. I have no interest in playing the game with the uneven performance and stutters now.Just playing witcher 3 instead and DMC special edition.

If I decide to wait it out and keep the game, they better. It's a travesty that it costs as much as a PC game typically does already. What a clusterfuck.

At this point I'd be happy to take a "sufficient PC version".

At this point I'd be fine with a straight one-to-one port of the PS4 version, without any added PC effects.

As long as it's playable, I don't care. I'm dying to play it, but I refuse to buy a PS4 version on top of the PC version sitting in my library.

Mechazawa

Optimistic me: The fact that they're halting sales means they're going to make radical changes to how the game runs and functions. Perhaps wholesale making people redownload the game.

Cynical me: They're going to push out one middling patch, pretend it's the greatest patch of all time and open the floodgates back up.

d1rtn4p

I suspect we'll get a "Super Hardened" Steam edition sometime in a few months as a re-release. Will probably come with a jacked price of a flood of DLC to make up for lost profits on this...Lawyers are probably already looking into it.

I can't believe they pulled it. That is AMAZING and I can't remember anything like this ever happening. If they're smart they'll give it back to Rocksteady instead and they'll spend 6 months cleaning up the mess of Iron Galaxy and re-release it. Best case scenario.

xylo

Neo Member
http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/145587678167685991

Dear Batman: Arkham Knight PC owners,

We want to apologize to those of you who are experiencing performance issues with Batman: Arkham Knight on PC. We take these issues very seriously and have therefore decided to suspend future game sales of the PC version while we work to address these issues to satisfy our quality standards. We greatly value our customers and know that while there are a significant amount of players who are enjoying the game on PC, we want to do whatever we can to make the experience better for PC players overall.

Fracas

#fuckonami
While I'm glad to see sales halted, I can't help but think that it means getting the game to work properly is going to take much more than a few days.

GavinUK86

While I'm glad to see sales halted, I can't help but think that it means getting the game to work properly is going to take much more than a few days.

Definately.

Halting sales means they are actually taking it seriously which can only mean good things.

But, like you said, I can see this taking a while.

For now, look at it as your preorder still stands and they've been nice enough to let us play through the beta version if we want.

/s

Yowza. I'm sure "Fall 2015" is a placeholder, but damn.

Anyone want my Super Break the Batman Collector's Edition PC with Arkham Knight (and also Hatoful Boyfriend)? To Ebay!

It's interesting, though - I wonder if the QA process was just really lackluster. I didn't have *any* of the stuttering issues that were so prevalent. I didn't mess with the framerate cap, so I was thinking that people were just upset with the 30fps limit...then I saw those videos. I see why people were mad! :) But I'm sure I'm not the only one who was having a reasonable time with it.

Like an idiot I caved and gifted the game + DLC to my daughter while it was 10% off. She tried it out a few minutes ago and said that it stuttered a lot. She's really, really tolerant of such things, way more than I am, so for her to point it out means it was bad. She put in less than an hour and I asked her to quit playing for now while we figure out the refund.

Can I get a refund for the game + DLC ($90)? Does the DLC part or the gifting part make me ineligible?

prophecy0

Like an idiot I caved and gifted the game + DLC to my daughter while it was 10% off. She tried it out a few minutes ago and said that it stuttered a lot. She's really, really tolerant of such things, way more than I am, so for her to point it out means it was bad. She put in less than an hour and I asked her to quit playing for now while we figure out the refund.

Can I get a refund for the game + DLC ($90)? Does the DLC part or the gifting part make me ineligible?

The DLC part shouldn't matter. I don't know about the gifting part, but it can't hurt to try.

Parsnip

∀ Narayan;169737392 said:
Pretty glad I got this for free with my GTX 970.

It's actually interesting that because of the way BAK is allocating/leaking VRAM, 970 with its gimped 0.5 is probably suffering more than other cards. Like my old 2gig 760 doesn't stutter at all, but people with 970's have reported stuttering.

Or it could be a coincidence.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
It's actually interesting that because of the way BAK is allocating/leaking VRAM, 970 with its gimped 0.5 is probably suffering more than other cards. Like my old 2gig 760 doesn't stutter at all, but people with 970's have reported stuttering.

I don't think so. Are you running High textures on your 760?

pahamrick

I've got a 970 with everything maxed but without gameworks fog + interactive debris and I have no stutter whatsoever, and minimal texture streaming issues since I made a couple INI tweaks.

Well, early access was fun. Hopefully Rocksteady takes our feedback and fixes issues we had with the beta.

I'll take my ray o' sunshine and see myself out.

50f5d175afa96f5e300000dd.gif

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

Nah, the drivers limit vram utlization to 3.5GB. It only uses more if the game absolutely needs it. This game uses all the memory it can, but not because it really needs it. It's just poorly optimized.

pahamrick

What INI tweaks? Curious.

Okay, hoping someone else can test this and see if it's just the game being funky or it it fixes it for them too. I tweaked some INI settings and haven't had any textures not loading in since up to the point I'm at, and that's with the 30fps lock disabled (running in Windowed Borderless without any FPS lock or vsync, for reference and MaxFPS=90.000000 in BmSystemSettings.ini)

I've got the game installed on an SSD, so just keep that in mind in case you try these and you're not on an SSD.

Open BMEngine.ini
Under [Texture Streaming] (Line 755 for those using Notepad++)
Make the following changes

Code:
PoolSize=2048
MemoryMargin=256
bAllowSwitchingStreamingSystem=True

I was getting really terrible issues with textures loading in (Like the poster on the side of Pauli's Diner in the very beginning wasn't loading in) but ever since making those changes I haven't seen any textures that haven't loaded close up, and that's going from the beginning all the way up to the part where you rip off the first panel to power up the antenna.

Some others have tested it and it didn't do anything for them.

Also, I want to point out I've since left the FPS lock alone in the INI file, and the only thing I changed was those three settings. So, I have those 3 ini changes, with gameworks fog & interactive debris disabled, gameworks rain + lightning enabled.

I've got a video now I'm uploading for a friend who didn't believe me because he's got a similar system and has crazy stutter, I'll post a link here when it's done processing and uploading.

I haven't had any major issues with the game, but knowing it's not running as well as it should and that it's missing graphical features the PS4 is doing has me shelving the game until it gets patched. I want to play this game the way it was meant to be played because I really love the gameplay of it, it's a great game mired in a really poor port job.

Top Bottom