• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight On PC Is Not Very Good [UP: WB suspends future sales until fix]

Who is responsible for this mess of a port?

Results are only viewable after voting.
CIUHAe2UAAEAedY.png

i got this far before a hard crash to desktop

You were lucky.

-Deimos

Alright, a couple hours in now and I've had nearly zero issues. Game runs and looks great on my 4GB 670 at near max settings and capped at 30. Yeah there's little stuff like missing textures but overall it's pretty good. I understand that it's a shit port by normal standards, but I'm not seeing the reason by this insane backlash. I must just be lucky or something.

Full specs:
i7-2600k @ 4.2
GTX 670 4GB
8GB RAM
Installed on HD
Windows 8.1

Fuz

Banned
Holy shit, suspended sales? It's this a first in history? Someone's head will roll...

Guess if they'll patch denuvo out with their fix.

Like my old 2gig 760 doesn't stutter at all, but people with 970's have reported stuttering.

Or it could be a coincidence.

My 2GB 670 stutters hard. So hard I'm honestly surprised when the game unfreezes and keeps going. Three seconds or more of a frozen screen before it returns to business as usual. I honestly don't think I actually get framerate drops; it's either thirty frames a second or three seconds a frame, and seemingly nothing in between.

I tried turning all the graphical settings down and it didn't help, but now I've turned them back up and it seems like the textures have stayed at 'Low'. So... that's great.

ISee

Holy shit, suspended sales? It's this a first in history? Someone's head will roll...

Guess if they'll patch denuvo out with their fix.

I think FF 14 - Online did something similar.

Also I do not think someone's head is going to roll.
They had to know how bad their game was on PC before release, they just locked the game to 30 and decided to go for it because the masses don't care/know...

But there were two flaws in their system: First more people care/know then publishers are willing to accept and second (even more important) steams new 'FU I can get my money back' system. And that forced them to suspend the game, because a large enough number of people started to return it. And that is great!

If just Sony and Microsoft could ebmrace such refund policys on their online platfroms we would have more reasonable releases for big AAA games.

But I highly doubt they care enough and in the end this is going to hurt the PC platform. Publishers will stop releasing stuff on PC because PC gamers are just evil, pirating idiots who can't tell a good port from a bad port and always ill-use the refund system. Or they all move on to Origin/UPlay... *sigh*

arkhamknightfallqjqcv.jpg

RulkezX

I tried to make it playable last night but after 10 minutes of my fps dropping as low as 5 and freezes I turned it off again.

Given the latest developments I think I'll just uninstall and get back to it if it every gets fixed (can't get a refund unfortunately)

Tweedy

I'm glad they pulled it, I wanted the game but was going to buy at the back end of next week (after pay day) in the hope that if I played it and it ran awful, they'd have the 14 days after I bought it to fix it before I'd refund it.

For what its worth, a colleague of mine who has pretty much the same PC as me has it and reports it runs fine for him, even with Gameworks on and unlocked FPS, yet I've seen some posts on here with the same specs and it doesn't... strange.

His specs are:

i7 4790k
GTX 970 G1
8gb Ram
Windows 8.1
Installed game on SSD and only has SSD's in his machine so page file is on SSD too.

I have exactly the same except I have an ASUS strix 970.

Glad they've taken the option for me to buy it away, I'll go back to the Witcher.

https://youtu.be/dsDZJZYguqw

Here's the performance I'm getting now. Folks who either haven't played yet or aren't that far in might want to mute the sound as there's a bit of a spoiler said over the radio.

This is similar what I was getting. Not really much stutter, and when using the car it was going down to 20 sometimes, but not those crazy stops other people are getting. I have it all as high as I could with all gameworks on (off didnt make adifference for me) and the game locked to 30.

i7 4970K at 4GHz with 970 (not overclocked), also didnt install it on the ssd (didnt have enough space becuase of the witcher). Windows 7 and 8gb. The whole PC is only a few weeks old, dont know if that makes any difference on performance.

Still fuck that type of performance and not having "no blur" options in game, and all those missing effects when I can run the witcher 3 at 80fps on ultra.
Going to wait for them to fix it before even getting near it.

EDIT:

Nearly exactly the same rig as the friend of the poster above, and works similar to him. mmmm...

Anteater

Guess I'm just lucky then with my 2gb card.

Nuts.

Are you running normal textures? I get stuttering with normal (didn't mess with the ini), and low run smooth on my end because it would use less than 2gig vram, but running on normal will cause stuttering, just as they said on their forum about 3gig card being minimum or else it will run like shit.

Low texture really look like ass though but I can indeed play it until the performance degrade for no reason after 20minutes or whatever.

They are actually stopping sales? What a fuck up this has been. The fact that they allowed it to be sold in the first place is just telling. Tried to get away with it and hoping people wouldn't backlash too hard.

I hate how the consumer has to be outraged first before they actually fix any of the problems instead of them looking at the game before release and fixing them, it's becoming too common an occurrence.

synce

I don't think they would've suspended sales if not for Steam's new refund policy, so kudos to Valve here. I think in the future devs will think twice about releasing unfinished games

I don't think they would've suspended sales if not for Steam's new refund policy, so kudos to Valve here. I think in the future devs will think twice about releasing unfinished games

I do too, once the money started to leave them they leaped into action. It's the only explanation as to why decided to stop selling now instead of actually fixing the game before release. Case in point, Mortal Kombat X

nubbe

it will take months

I decided to ask for a refund and get it on a sale down the line

and play it on PS4 instead since that will probably be the best version no matter what happens

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
How does a GMG refund work if you have activated the game on steam, an independent system, and installed it? I havent played a second of the game, just wondering how they could prevent someone from activating/installing, asking for a refund and still having the game in their library?

M.Steiner

How does a GMG refund work if you have activated the game on steam, an independent system, and installed it? I havent played a second of the game, just wondering how they could prevent someone from activating/installing, asking for a refund and still having the game in their library?
I would assume they'll give Valve a list of keys to deactivate or something as I can't see them refunding AND letting people keep their copies. I could be wrong though.

[Edit] Confirmed

Your key will be deactivated after you get a refund. First comment on the GMG blog post:
Hi folks. Just to answer a couple of questions...

You'll be able to get a refund for Premium Edition and Season Pass too if you choose
We'll be sending a list of refunded keys to WBIE for deactivation – so if you've bought the game and ask for a refund, do be aware that your digital key will deactivated soon after.

In terms of timeframe and our previous update, we've not yet received an indication of timing from WBIE. It's likely that once BAK relaunches, our standard returns policy will come into effect, but the best bet is to stay tuned to all of our channels for more info and we'll confirm changes in policy for this title here.

Thanks again for everyone's patience and the support we've received. We'll keep you posted as more info comes in.
http://blog.playfire.com/2015/06/batman-arkham-knight-pc-pulled-from-sale-refunds.html

Brick

So, when they put this game back up for sale, will it have a new store page? I ask because it occurred to me that they might have stopped selling it as a way to wipe all of those negative reviews so that once they put up an actual working version, it won't be bogged down with a sub 30% rating. I'm sure that's not the only reason, but I guarantee that their marketing department is looking for any way they can to reset that score.

ShadowNate

So, when they put this game back up for sale, will it have a new store page? I ask because it occurred to me that they might have stopped selling it as a way to wipe all of those negative reviews so that once they put up an actual working version, it won't be bogged down with a sub 30% rating. I'm sure that's not the only reason, but I guarantee that their marketing department is looking for any way they can to reset that score.

They most likely won't.

They could do this, but no one will appreciate another dick move from them, and they are well aware of that by now. And if they did, they would probably be forced to auto-upgrade anyone that would still own the vanilla version to the new one, so if they screw that one up too, they'll have to deal with a similar situation, if not way more angry gamers.

For the record, afaik Steam allows users to revise their reviews of a game, so if they somehow manage to sort out the mess that the game is, there is some hope (for them) that a few gamers will go back and change their review scores.

Your key will be deactivated after you get a refund. First comment on the GMG blog post:

http://blog.playfire.com/2015/06/batman-arkham-knight-pc-pulled-from-sale-refunds.html

Just submitted my refund request for the premium edition. It's really sad that the game is In the state it's in. It's going to severely impact it's success on the PC for both the base game and DLC. AFAIK PC sales in the Arkham series have been extremely high, they accounted for nearly half of all AC sales right? The decisions WB made seem incredibly foolish.

heringer

They most likely won't.

They could do this, but no one will appreciate another dick move from them, and they are well aware of that by now. And if they did, they would probably be forced to auto-upgrade anyone that would still own the vanilla version to the new one, so if they screw that one up too, they'll have to deal with a similar situation, if not way more angry gamers.

For the record, afaik Steam allows users to revise their reviews of a game, so if they somehow manage to sort out the mess that the game is, there is some hope (for them) that a few gamers will go back and change their review scores.

If that's the case then they damaged the game beyond repair. Not a lot of people are going to bother to update their review.

Serves them right.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The game runs passable for me, but then I remember I have a GTX 980 and the last batman I had an AMD 6950 and I think it ran better.

sirap

Really sad that this game isn't getting the justice it deserves on PC. I'm having a blast playing it on the PS4, but I can't help but wonder how much better it can look on my beastly rig.

Banned
Batman Arkham Knight |OT| The Dark Knight Rehabilitates

Batman Arkham Knight |OT| The Dark Knight Suspended without pay till further notice

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still going to wait on the first patch before asking for a refund from GMG just to see how it goes. Will probably end up getting it on PS4 if it still plays like shite.

This is really irritating as it occurred to me that by the time I can actually play this game I'll probably be spoiled the Arkham Knight's identity and other story plot beats. This game is permanently fucking ruined :/.

In addition even if I do get a refund and decide to get the ps4 version I'll be paying full price and won't get preorder dlc. Fuck that. WB needs to do more.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So yeah, the "crash on evening the odds aka batmobile of boot to desktop" somehow resolved itself and I've been able to play more. I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, tweaked the cache limits, and unlocked 60fps cap. And basically I get 40 - 60 fps with little to no stuttering. Only certain events really tank the framerate, like detailed vistas pushing the draw distance, or burnouts rendering the GameWorks smoke effect. But I can more or less fly or drive around the city (very early in the game though before other parts open up) with fewer stuttering and data streaming issues than both City and Origins. Hell if I'm walking around the streets or casually driving I'm getting 50 - 60 fps.

That being said:
- As with everyone, no rain effect on surfaces
- And no ambient occlusions, which would be assisting performance in this case
- Texture quality streaming isn't terrible, but noticeable on some objects (UE3 is notorious for this though)
- Crash error every time I quit the game because...reasons?

So yeah, the "crash on evening the odds aka batmobile of boot to desktop" somehow resolved itself and I've been able to play more. I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, tweaked the cache limits, and unlocked 60fps cap. And basically I get 40 - 60 fps with little to no stuttering. Only certain events really tank the framerate, like detailed vistas pushing the draw distance, or burnouts rendering the GameWorks smoke effect. But I can more or less fly or drive around the city (very early in the game though before other parts open up) with fewer stuttering and data streaming issues than both City and Origins. Hell if I'm walking around the streets or casually driving I'm getting 50 - 60 fps.

That being said:
- Texture quality streaming isn't terrible, but noticeable on some objects (UE3 is notorious for this though)

The game clearly doesnt want you to quit lol

This is really irritating as it occurred to me that by the time I can actually play this game I'll probably be spoiled the Arkham Knight's identity and other story plot beats. This game is permanently fucking ruined :/.

In addition even if I do get a refund and decide to get the ps4 version I'll be paying full price and won't get preorder dlc. Fuck that. WB needs to do more.

The story can't possibly be the sole reason why you find enjoyment in these Arkham games, well maybe it is... I would feel terrible if that was the case for me.

Schnozberry

That being said:

I'm in the same boat, except mine seems to exit gracefully. One thing that is alarming though is that I have 16GB of RAM and after hours of play the game was taking up well over 7GB. I don't know about VRAM usage since I don't have any utilities installed at the moment, but I'm guessing on machines with 8GB of RAM or less the game is puking all over itself due to garbage collection issues or something causing a memory leak. The lack of Ambient Occusion is sort of bizarre, because all the UE3 engine flags to turn it on are present in the engine and game ini files, unless there is some kind of override in place somewhere else that I didn't notice. I have a 5820k and 980ti running at stock clocks, if anybody cares.

pahamrick

If anyone is having problems with frequent hard crashes and use Nvidia: Try disabling Gameworks Fog + Gameworks Interactive Debris.

I was getting frequent hard crashes, soon as I disabled both those features no more crashes and I played for 5+ hours straight.

If they're already disabled, well.. It was pulled for a reason.

Kyzer

Banned
wait wtf so GMG won't refund until after the patch which might turn it into a PS3-level game for all we know?

I feel so robbed.

Top Bottom