• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight On PC Is Not Very Good [UP: WB suspends future sales until fix]

Who is responsible for this mess of a port?

Results are only viewable after voting.

pahamrick

I haven't had any major issues with the game, but knowing it's not running as well as it should and that it's missing graphical features the PS4 is doing has me shelving the game until it gets patched. I want to play this game the way it was meant to be played because I really love the gameplay of it, it's a great game mired in a really poor port job.

I was going to do the same, but then I realized I'd get really upset if I got spoiled. I mean, I've seen things so far that I would have been crushed if they got spoiled, and I'm not even that far in yet!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Like an idiot I caved and gifted the game + DLC to my daughter while it was 10% off. She tried it out a few minutes ago and said that it stuttered a lot. She's really, really tolerant of such things, way more than I am, so for her to point it out means it was bad. She put in less than an hour and I asked her to quit playing for now while we figure out the refund.

Can I get a refund for the game + DLC ($90)? Does the DLC part or the gifting part make me ineligible?

Generally speaking the refund policy would not apply:

Steam has made exceptions for certain games that have caused major issues in the past. So you can submit a claim to Valve's CS team and see if they grant a one time exemption.

Generally speaking the refund policy would not apply:

Steam has made exceptions for certain games that have caused major issues in the past. So you can submit a claim to Valve's CS team and see if they grant a one time exemption.

Thanks, I'll go that route in a few days if we don't see significant fixes to the game.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Like an idiot I caved and gifted the game + DLC to my daughter while it was 10% off. She tried it out a few minutes ago and said that it stuttered a lot. She's really, really tolerant of such things, way more than I am, so for her to point it out means it was bad. She put in less than an hour and I asked her to quit playing for now while we figure out the refund.

Can I get a refund for the game + DLC ($90)? Does the DLC part or the gifting part make me ineligible?

Considering the game is unplayable, you definitely have a case. Contact them.

Thanks, I'll go that route in a few days if we don't see significant fixes to the game.

I don't think you should wait for long. There isn't any timeframe on the release, and not asking for refund, when the topic is hot, might not be the best for you.

Considering the game is unplayable, you definitely have a case. Contact them.

I don't think you should wait for long. There isn't any timeframe on the release, and not asking for refund, when the topic is hot, might not be the best for you.

Great point. Yeah, I'll move on this now.

The sad part is that she feels terrible since she was going to go PS4 but then decided PC (she's going to college next year and won't have access to the PS4) for the first time in the series. I'm assuring her that going PC for her gaming is the right thing, but man, rough lesson to learn out the gate. I know better for my own purchases -- always, always wait for reviews and don't succumb to pre-order hype / exclusive pre-order DLC. But when it comes to the children it gets harder to be that strong. =)

Steamdb says something about a patch?

https://steamdb.info/app/208650/history/

patcho7rmo.png

But no idea what that means lol.

Parsnip

I don't think so. Are you running High textures on your 760?
There are no high textures.

Nah, the drivers limit vram utlization to 3.5GB. It only uses more if the game absolutely needs it. This game uses all the memory it can, but not because it really needs it. It's just poorly optimized.
That's my point. Because of the vram leakage, the 3.5 gets filled up and not properly freed again and then "the game absolutely needs it" and dips into the slow 0.5.

Anyways, I'm just saying that anecdotally it seems like 970 owners are reporting more stuttering than others.

That's my point. Because of the vram leakage, the 3.5 gets filled up and not properly freed again and then "the game absolutely needs it" and dips into the slow 0.5.

It doesn't matter. I just installed a 980 Ti yesterday which doesn't have vram issues and it still has issues like everyone else.

Parsnip

It doesn't matter. I just installed a 980 Ti yesterday which doesn't have vram issues and it still has issues like everyone else.
I'm specifically talking about stuttering.

Well, it doesn't really matter. It's so broken in other ways that even though I'm stutter free, I'm still waiting for a patch or two.

Anyways, I'm just saying that anecdotally it seems like 970 owners are reporting more stuttering than others.

Well according to the latest Steam Hardware Survey the 970 is the 2nd most common discrete GPU after the 760 and came bundle with a free copy of the game lately. So I would say that the most common card playing Arkham Knight is probably the 970, thus the most problems with it.

If 3.5 was a problem, then 3GB cards would be getting it even worse on average.

Jirotrom

It would be awesome if I could at least run the damn game... as soon as it comes on the screen flickers on and off, freezes over an over :/

CHC

Just imagine if this patch came out in the next few minutes and literally everything was fixed and the missing stuff was replaced lol. Would probably put it down to a missing day one patch that the consoles got.

It would also be a miracle.

"Imagine if you opened your mailbox and it was stuffed with millions of 100 dollar bills."

Not gonna happen, sorry

jediyoshi

Just imagine if this patch came out in the next few minutes and literally everything was fixed and the missing stuff was replaced lol. Would probably put it down to a missing day one patch that the consoles got.

It would also be a miracle.

This is video games. We can't have nice things.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
wtf, iron galaxy made that patch in 12 minutes?!

No, the changes were done to the SteamDB/branches 12 minutes ago. It doesn't mean anything about the work, just when it was added to Steam's Database.

"Imagine if you opened your mailbox and it was stuffed with millions of 100 dollar bills."

Not gonna happen, sorry

Well thats where you're wrong!

Literally got an email yesterday saying i'm gonna receive $3.5 million, some prince or some shit. As simple as giving him my bank details.

Edit: Also, I literally said miracle in my post, so no need for people to say it's not gonna happen. I kinda know.

.Anema

Dude..
Holy shit.
I can't...
I just tried the game on PC, I think my setup is OK right? i7 4790k, 32gb RAM, GTX 970... Installed on my Samsung SSD 850 Pro and...
30-40 FPS?
I paid 60 bucks for 30-40 fps and poor performance? I mean WTF is wrong with this game!!!
I managed to play like two hours and I closed the game forever. FPS drops, textures load like hell, SIX crashes in two hours!! SIX!!!!!!!!!!!
Goddamn.
DAMN!

Dude..
Holy shit.
I can't...
I just tried the game on PC, I think my setup is OK right? i7 4790k, 32gb RAM, GTX 970... Installed on my Samsung SSD 850 Pro and...
30-40 FPS?
I paid 60 bucks for 30-40 fps and poor performance? I mean WTF is wrong with this game!!!
I managed to play like two hours and I closed the game forever. FPS drops, textures load like hell, SIX crashes in two hours!! SIX!!!!!!!!!!!
Goddamn.
DAMN!

Refund

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I know getting broken products sucks but I hope this doesn't negatively impact Rocksteady themselves as this game is extremely well made. This is likely to cause some issues for Iron Galaxy, I'd imagine, since it actually cuts into the WB bottom line. With High Volage products (which are shit) they at least haven't been recalled (though having another dev fix ZOE2 is surely up there).

I think this is a worse debacle than the Assassin's Creed Unity launch last year.
It's completely different. With ACU all versions were in bad shape. This time two of the versions are very polished while the PC version is completely broken. The different versions rest at different extremes.

The situation in PC is so bad that it does almost elevate the situation to ACU levels.

ShadowNate

Have we reached the point where they say they are working on DLC rather than patching the game like they did with Origins or not yet ?

yeah, this definitely is what I remember from the previous Batman title, along with the horrible game breaking bugs on launch. How the hell did people forget that? How can anyone go and buy their next game at the release day price, without at least waiting a few days to read reviews about the performance?

Maybe, I'm... good at holding grudges when a developer/ studio pulls something like that, but that saved me from buying this new pile of vile.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member

LMAO. I meant Normal. Holy shit.

Holy. Shit. I haven't played a PC game in ... recollectable memory that didn't have low, med/normal, and high. If not "very high" and then "ultra." I really am hoping that this halt on sales signals that they are taking the situation seriously.

Dear god this is gonna take awhile isn't it? :(

We might get some fixes soon, but if there was some cure-all amazing ultra patch that makes it go like greased lightning on every computer just around the corner, there would have been no reason to withdraw it from sales. They would have just come out and said that there was a patch coming soon, reassured Valve that it was coming soon yadda yadda.

I expect them to patch some low-hanging fruit within a couple of days, then get a more comprehensive solution on a scale of weeks or months.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
yeah, this definitely is what I remember from the previous Batman title, along with the horrible game breaking bugs on launch. How the hell did people forget that? How can anyone go and buy their next game at the release day price, without at least waiting a few days to read reviews about the performance?

Maybe, I'm... good at holding grudges when a developer/ studio pulls something like that, but that saved me from buying this new pile of vile.
Who's next game? WB? Iron Galaxy?

antitrop

So I guess the big question is who is going to get thrown under the bus for this: Warner Bros or Iron Galaxy?

At this point, I think the bus is already a mile down the road and both of them are lying in agony.

For IG, this obviously means insane crunch time in the short-term, and possible lost contracts in the long-term.

Braag

I didn't expect them to actually pull the game form Steam until they fix it.
I hope this means that they're serious about fixing all the issues but it probably also means that it's gonna take them a while.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CIUHAe2UAAEAedY.png

i got this far before a hard crash to desktop

Top Bottom