• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 at 4K - $450 PC vs PS4 Pro - The Potato Masher Pro

But the only upgrade scenario that this scenario is actually useful for is if you own both a decent PC already, and an OG PS4 already and are trying to decide which of the two to upgrade. But I think if your PC is already fairly decent the answer is fairly simple in favor of the PC...don't need a video series for this.

If you only have an OG PS4, you'd have to buy an entire PC from scratch, so this upgraded "potato masher" is useless. If you only have a PC, you'd need to pay out of pocket for an entire new PS4 Pro, which is obviously worse bang for your buck than simply upgrading your GPU.

Still not understanding the value of these videos but as clickbait in the PC vs Console gamer war lol.

I don't think it's meant to say that you're guaranteed these components for this price.. like you are for the PS4 Pro. It's just meant as a way to compare a relatively close priced PC to the new console...

Everyone looking for all the little fees and costs associated are trying too hard to invalidate the videos... Just looking at the vids.. if you take the time to find some good deals.. you could build a good PC that compares favorably to the $400 PS4 Pro.

If PC gaming is something that might interest you.. it might be nice to know that you can get something that looks really close or better than that brand new PS4 Pro.. while also providing the luxuries/benefits that a PC gets you.

I think the videos are interesting just off the fact alone that someone out there is trying to prove that you don't need an extremely expensive PC to have a good gaming experience.. and is taking the time to test and give their opinion on games, and is going rather in-depth with the whole thing.

I don't think it's clickbait at all... he's not lying about anything. And I don't see how proving that you can build a similarly priced PC with similar gfx and performance to the console is really.. stoking the war...

It's just meant as a way to compare a relatively close priced PC to the new console...
Much easier and clearer to do this with a comparison of buying a $399 PS4 Pro vs a new $399 PC. Not some convoluted mess.

if you take the time to find some good deals.. you could build a good PC that compares favorably to the $400 PS4 Pro.
Then why didn't he just do this instead of some weird comparison with something that doesn't cost the same, uses donated parts, used parts, etc etc?

it might be nice to know that you can get something that looks really close or better than that brand new PS4 Pro
But that's not what he's doing here. He's using a decent computer / parts he had around already, and for the original, used parts with extremely volatile prices. Most people don't have that luxury, so it's useless to them.

I don't see how proving that you can build a similarly priced PC with similar gfx and performance to the console is really.. stoking the war..
But that's not what he did. He spent way more on the PC if you count the parts he had already or were donated, bought new parts, not including the GPU upgrade cost, etc etc. If you want to just show people you can spend relatively the same on a PC as a PS4 and get a better experience, just do that!

This post exactly proves my point. If any of these things you mentioned was the goal of his video series, he would've done an infinitely better job by simply buying a $399 computer and avoiding all of this mess that largely invalidates his comparison. That's not to say I don't strongly believe that you can build a $399 PC that provides a good gaming experience, I absolutely do. I just take issue with this methodology.

I think the videos are interesting just off the fact alone that someone out there is trying to prove that you don't need an extremely expensive PC to have a good gaming experience.. and is taking the time to test and give their opinion on games, and is going rather in-depth with the whole thing.

I don't think it's clickbait at all... he's not lying about anything. And I don't see how proving that you can build a similarly priced PC with similar gfx and performance to the console is really.. stoking the war...

Its not proving anything. Its misleading. He received free parts and IIRC "had an OS key lying around."

If someone wanted to do useful comparison they would actually build a PC for $400. Not "for just hundred or so more" BS but a hard cap at $400.

Everyone knows a more expensive PC will outperform the Pro.

The jaguar CPU is still a mobile chip low power chip, and the 1060 is still much stronger than the Pro's GPU, which is a downclocked version of the 480 which was already weaker than the 1060

Basically, these results are in line with expectations :p Consoles can only go up from here, atleast in terms of CPU power

Wait, wait, wait. It's TWO Jaguar chips, essentially stacked on top of each other. So twice the power. two low power chips= one mid range chip.

I have no idea what I'm talking about

Renekton

I understand this game is well regarded. Are people basing their system purchases on this game?
BF1 took over Crysis 3 as the #1 "how sick is my rig" benchmark.

Other 2016 contenders:
Watch Doge 2 (openworld + multithreading)
DOOM (linear FPS)
Overwatch (toaster-friendly esports)

Much easier and clearer to do this with a comparison of buying a $399 PS4 Pro vs a new $399 PC. Not some convoluted mess.

It's really not that convoluted...

Then why didn't he just do this instead of some weird comparison with something that doesn't cost the same, uses donated parts, used parts, etc etc?

He built the first system to compared with the PS4.. he replaced the gpu to compare with the PS4 Pro.. seems fair since the PS4 Pro is pretty much a gpu only upgrade to the PS4. It's not hard to subtract the price of the old gpu and add the price of the new gpu.. again as I said.. if he got those parts for those prices 2 years ago.. then surely they are the same or cheaper now.

But that's not what he's doing here. He's using a decent computer / parts he had around already, and for the original, used parts with extremely volatile prices. Most people don't have that luxury, so it's useless to them.

Yea.. he's also someone who can put his own PC together... most people aren't comfortable with that... When you buy a console.. you look for the best bundle/deal you can. You're making it to be a much bigger issue than it is. The main components are there and accounted for.

But that's not what he did. He spent way more on the PC if you count the parts he had already or were donated, bought new parts, not including the GPU upgrade cost, etc etc. If you want to just show people you can spend relatively the same on a PC as a PS4 and get a better experience, just do that!

see explanation above... To keep consistent you keep the same hardware and upgrade the gpu.. just as sony did with the PS4 Pro.

This post exactly proves my point. If any of these things you mentioned was the goal of his video series, he would've done an infinitely better job by simply buying a $399 computer and avoiding all of this mess that largely invalidates his comparison. That's not to say I don't strongly believe that you can build a $399 PC that provides a good gaming experience, I absolutely do. I just take issue with this methodology.

Not everybody pays the same price for a PS4.. not everyone pays the same price for PC components... it's a fun series and nothing more. Not a buying guide.. he's not guaranteeing anything. I understand that you might not find any worth to the videos.. but he's posting what HE was able to put together. Some of us could do even better than him ;)

Its not proving anything. Its misleading. He received free parts and IIRC "had an OS key lying around."

If someone wanted to do useful comparison they would actually build a PC for $400. Not "for just hundred or so more" BS but a hard cap at $400.

Everyone knows a more expensive PC will outperform the Pro.

They aren't equivalent though. A PC does far more than a console so what do we discount parts, software etc off then to make a more practical comparison? How do you do that?

That's the problem with the argument. Regardless it's also important to note 1800p checkerboard for instance isn't 4k. It's somewhere between 1080 and 1440p PC equivalent.

Screw it I'll just pull DeafMutes post from the Andromeda thread because it's important to note and relatable here.

Edit: Just saw your new post, but leaving this one anyway in case people wanted more details.

Because it's not 1800p, it's 1800p with checkerboard rendering.

When you double the dimensions of a resolution from 1080p to 2160p (also known as 4k), you increase the pixel count by 4. Checkerboard rendering at 2160p only renders half the true pixel count of the 4k resolution, essentially rendering the equivalent of 2x1080, instead of 4x1080 (which is full 4k).

Mass Effect Andromeda is not even rendering at this resolution. It's rendering at 1800p with checker-boarding. Meaning that instead of rendering at 2x1080p, it's rendering at 2x900p. Remember, true 1800p would be 4x the pixel count of 900p, while the PS4 pro is only rendering at half that, 2x900p.

A quick calculation yields that 2x900p is about 3/4 of the pixel count of a standard PC monitor's 2560x1440 resolution. This means that the PS4 pro is rendering the equivalent of a resolution that is higher than 1080p, but lower than 1440p. The difference in how demanding a 4k image is to render on PC vs a 1440p image is very large. 4k is significantly more demanding than 1440p, and the PS4 Pro is not even rendering at 1440p for this game.

To render at native 4k effectively, you would need a powerful, high bandwidth video card. Then, to render at 60fps, you again need a large increase in power, perhaps a 2x increase. The RX480 and GTX1060 are more powerful on paper than PS4 pro is. But they are not so much more powerful that it can run native 4k games where the PS4 pro is running checkerboard. Even if they were, you'd still need something roughly double the power to get double the framerate.

While there have been cases of games that run great on equivalent PC hardware, like Alien Isolation, these are rare instances. Usually, the console games aren't heavily CPU bottle-necked to the point that you can crank way higher framerates on PC with only equivalently powerful GPUs. My best educated guess would be that you would need something like a Pascal Titan to get 4k 60 on Mass Effect Andromeda. If the port is well optimized, and the console game actually could run higher in many scenes than it does but is capped at 30, then you might see it pulled off on a 1080, or overclocked 1070. But I would consider this to be somewhat unlikely.

So much salt in here.

The point of the video is to say "Hey guys, if you're interested in PC gaming, you don't need to take out a second mortgage to get good performance. With a little legwork it can even cost as low as what youd pay for a console!"

Not "fuck you pc is the bestorz it destroy cawnsoul with 1337 money gpu" or some shit.

It's measuring against a PS4 Pro not to say its just inherently better, it's meausuring against a PS4 because a lot of people have the idea that to get a PC that can play games like a PS4 theyd have to drop $2000.
Jeez get over it.

So much salt in here.

The point of the video is to say "Hey guys, if you're interested in PC gaming, you don't need to take out a second mortgage to get good performance. With a little legwork it can even cost as low as what youd pay for a console!"

Not "fuck you pc is the bestorz it destroy cawnsoul with 1337 money gpu" or some shit.

It's measuring against a PS4 Pro not to say its just inherently better, it's meausuring against a PS4 because a lot of people have the idea that to get a PC that can play games like a PS4 theyd have to drop $2000.
Jeez get over it.

I honestly cannot believe the response to the posts in this thread. This is some of the worst backwards fanboy shit I've seen in a long time.

Seriously, this is just sad levels of salt. Count the amount of people babbling about gifted or free parts. There's no gifted or free parts in the Potato Masher or the Potato Masher Pro. Can't tell anybody that, nobody listens. They just want to slam the pro-PC video.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wait, wait, wait. It's TWO Jaguar chips, essentially stacked on top of each other. So twice the power. two low power chips= one mid range chip.

I have no idea what I'm talking about

:p At the time the jaguar CPU configuration only worked in quad core functionality, so this was simply doubling of cores. But the cores don't scale linearly, and to boot, for a long time only 6 were activated for games anyways.

At this point, supposedly 7 have been activated for each console.

If he wanted to use a used parts build he could have used a used price for the original ps4. Its not at all an unreasonable viewpoint. Christ

That being said, when going the upgrade route a pc is the bettter choice since you dont have to rely on developer patches. Ps4pro is good for first time buyers but id never buy one if i had a ps4

ZBR

My buddy is actually going to give me his old 920 along with EVGA mobo, WD 1tb hdd, and corsair 750W PSU. I believe we're going to overclock it to 3.8ghz. Only thing I want to do is buy a better GPU, more/faster RAM, and a different case. It's only until I get enough money saved up to build a really good PC later next year/early 2018. My current PC is a phenom II at 3.4GHz, 6 gigs of ram and SLI 470's.

wbEMX

Lol you can't build a PC that can run 4K with 450. Absurd. You're looking at closer to 1500

You also can't buy a console that can run NATIVE 4K with 400, let's be clear here. Sure, there are some exceptions like Shadow of Mordor, but most of it is upscaled.

Also, this.
So much salt in here.

Jeez get over it.

FYI, I still mostly play on base PS4. :p

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
People should not be so touchy about their particular gaming ecosystem of choice...

He isn't that far off.

Huh. Imagine that.

It's bizarre to me how obsessed some PC fanboys are with the PS4/PS4 Pro...like serial killer bizarre...like they rate the value of their lives on whether their way of playing games is better than someone else's way of playing games.

I have a workstation that's a more than effective gaming rig, but that shit is on a rung below my PS4/PS4 Pro for gaming simply because there's nothing game wise on PC that I actually want on PS4 that I can't get on PS4. For me in all cases the graphics difference doesn't outwiegh the convenience, the lack of trash games by the metric ton and the social element of being able to relax in my living room and game. The only advantage is mouse aim accuracy and I'm about to get a Xim4 to go with my PS nav controller to resolve that.

My suggestion to insecure PC Fanboys is to just worry about being better gamers so you can enjoy your platform more than you do now, or accept that you want the exclusive PS4 content that you have no access to and augment your gaming experience with a PS4.

The constant dick measuring makes you look incredibly weak...nobody wants to see your johnson...believe me.

Your post is fanboy garbage but if you desperately want to blame someone for inviting PC and PS4 Pro comparisons you should direct your rage towards Andrew House and Sony.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/9/12867004/ps4-pro-vs-pc-xbox-one-project-scorpio

madmackem

he built the original system from used and gifted parts upgraded the gpu to the 1060 for $270 or whatever
That's where all of this falls apart, if I was gifted used or old parts and spent the full budget on a gfx card I'd want way better than pro levels. What if I was gifted a pro do I win?.

Wow, this thread.

The party line is how PC gaming is all about spending thousands of dollars and constant upgrades. Video series like the Potato Masher showing budget PC gaming as not only viable but extremely competitive to low-cost consoles throws that idea out of the window. It must be upsetting to have proof shut down the fallacies people have been repeating for years, which explains the replies in this thread.

LordKano

The amount of console fanboys here is pathetic. The video is very interesting in point of how much a PC can be customized in order to suit your budget. There was no need to start a dumbass specs war with your console, nobody cares about it.

That's where all of this falls apart, if I was gifted used or old parts and spent the full budget on a gfx card I'd want way better than pro levels. What if I was gifted a pro do I win?.

Yeah. And if you have a friend you can borrow games from you dont even need to buy them. Lolz the consoles win againz!!

Altho the used parts only applies to the original build. The upgrade to the gpu was priced and compared properly to the ps4pro

I have a potato masher! Or more like a mashed potato since i have a gtx 670 2gb in it from 2012. My i5 750 is at 4 ghz with 12 gb ram and an ssd tho.

Nice to see this cuz it shows a verrrry similar pc to mine and how a potential 1060 upgrade would do for me.

Oh noes the OS!!!!!!!
You can get win10 for 10$ if thats what ruins this whole thing.

I did just that 2 years ago and after 12 months with the OS working I was told it wasn't genuine and had to basically scrap everything as I had to reinstall on a genuine brand-new OS.

So I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a cheap OEM OS as it's a complete gamble as to whether MS will deem it not genuine after any period of time. W10 from MS costs £90 iirc.

Caayn

Wow, this thread became a salt mine rather fast after my last visit.

Not everything needs to be 1:1 to be a fun comparison. Don't we all still enjoy PS4 (pro) vs XB1(s) comparisons despite the difference in power and the clear winner before we even start watching? Comparisons will never be 1:1 on all fronts and situations are different for everyone depending on region and personal environment. For example PC parts are slightly more expensive where I live, on the other side we also never had sub-200 deals for the PS4 Pro that I see some people in this thread talking about. Then there's PS+ subscription costs, etc.etc.

I personally find it fun to see how a middle of the line PC stacks up against the best consoles have to offer.

He isn't that far off.

i5 750 $40

Arctic Alpine 11 Cooler $10

Intel DZ68DB Motherboard $60

8GB AMD DDR3 Ram $20

Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
$240

EVGA 430W PSU $40

WD 320GB HDD
$20

Azza CSAZ Case $20

Windows $25

Total $475

To be fair you can get a PS4 Pro for $380

There are a few points that pull this apart:

1. These prices don't work in the UK. Or any other country for that matter aside from the US. Here the Pro can be had for £300. That PC would cost closer to £500.

2. Where is the mouse, keyboard and monitor cost for that rig? Everyone has a TV to plug their Pro into. But people dont just have monitors laying around. And obviously you get a controller with the Pro in the price.

3. The OS as $25 is a complete gamble. See my above post.

1. These prices don't work in the UK. Or any other country for that matter aside from the US. Here the Pro can be had for £300. That PC would cost closer to £500.

2. Where is the mouse, keyboard and monitor cost for that rig? Everyone has a TV to plug their Pro into. But people dont just have monitors laying around. And obviously you get a controller with the Pro in the price.

disagree about the monitor.. the problem with that list is the used parts. if you want to go down that route its fine, but you cant then compare it to brick an dmorter prices for a ps4. you have to use ebay ps4 used prices. no experience with those 10$ windows keys either so i have no idea how legit they are

Brofist

He is from the US, what is your point? And PCs plug into TVs just fine.

disagree about the monitor.. the problem with that list is the used parts. if you want to go down that route its fine, but you cant then compare it to brick an dmorter prices for a ps4. you have to use ebay ps4 used prices. no experience with those 10$ windows keys either so i have no idea how legit they are

Yeah it's very silly and almost pointless. Even if you take away the TV/monitor aspect.

I have a rig that's significantly more powerful than a Pro but it cost serious money and is not something you can enjoy for phantom prices.

Video title is inflammatory and using garbage PC master race rhetoric and people are surprised some are annoyed? Lmao.

Also yeah, the price is very disingenuous which is stupid on their part because you can easily build something that is equivalent without the bs.

The point of these comparisons isn't to show that any random user can put together a PC that costs the same as a mass-produced entertainment device and performs way better. If it makes platform warriors settle down it should be stated as clearly as possible: you can't build a new PC, including the operating system and mouse and keyboard, that costs the same and performs the same as the PS4 Pro or the PS4 for that matter. There, now that that's over with, let's discuss why that is and why these comparisons are still very useful in multiple ways.

RibMan

Personally, I think anyone looking into 4K gaming should build a PC over a Pro. PC is guaranteed to give you native 4K with the ability to crank everything to ultra. However, I don't think it's wise to build a 4K PC with used and outdated parts. If your goal is to build a 4K gaming PC, you should go for a build that would be future-proof and significantly more powerful than a console option. To me, that seems like a better use of your money and time.

The point of these comparisons isn't to show that any random user can put together a PC that costs the same as a mass-produced entertainment device and performs way better. If it makes platform warriors settle down it should be stated as clearly as possible: you can't build a new PC, including the operating system and mouse and keyboard, that costs the same and performs the same as the PS4 Pro or the PS4 for that matter. There, now that that's over with, let's discuss why that is and why these comparisons are still very useful in multiple ways.

except that is the very point of his potato masher videos

jwhit28

I couldn't find a used PS4 Pro in the country cheaper than $380. There were some sketchy looking $330 international listings. I think the point of videos is to highlight that PCs not being static systems can give you big advantages. That is something people who only see gaming PCs as the $2000 prebuilt systems that Alienware sells need to learn. The videos are also helpful for teaching about stuff like super sampling when you have extra GPU headroom on lower resolution displays and lower resolution scaling for when your GPU isn't quite cutting it. Some of the same tricks PS4 Pro is pulling off. Also 4k isn't some future tech you need a Titan X to partake in. Especially when it comes to remasters like Skyrim

I don't understand how all people can take from these videos is someone trying to incite platform wars. At the very least they are good for trying to see what PC settings are equivalent to how companies are tuning their PS4 Pro versions.

except that is the very point of his potato masher videos

If you are looking for ammunition for platform warfare, sure. If you are not then you can get some important information from these videos. A really old CPU can support a new graphics card decently. You don't need to spend a lot of money to match the console experience. If you already have a desktop PC then upgrading it might be a cheaper and better option than buying a new console. Games that are designed for 60 fps on consoles can hit that target on PC as well, even in older hardware. High-resolution gaming isn't the impossible task it seems at first if you are willing to make some sacrifices in levels of detail. More importantly, PC gaming is as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. None of the above is a knock against consoles.

The greatest irony of the threads like these are that when it's a DF video showing how close a Pro can get to PC performance wise the thread is quite positive, people happy about their purchase "Pro is a beast" etc. Have the opposite and it's just constant posts about how yea, but it's impossible in Europe, it's still not as cheap etc. Entirely missing the point of the video and thread which is to help try and clear up misconceptions created around PC gaming. Yes it's not as cheap, or as simple, it's all about options, open platforms and modular design on PC and it certainly eclipses the competition in that regard. As someone who owns a PC and a Pro and loves them both I get so sick of this shit.

It's also important to note as I did above that resolutions and subsequent performance are very much different on console with checkerboarding than native resolution etc.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
There's a line when you talk system building and I think you can go too cheap.

$600 is about the line when you're talking a gaming system. I priced one out and came to $640, and you get:

Core V21 Case, EVGA 600W bronze PSU, ASUS AM3+ motherboard, AMD FX-6300 with free Deus Ex code, Hyper Evo 212 Heatsink/Fan, MSI Armor RX 480 4GB, 2x4GB DDR3-1866, WD Blue 1TB HDD, KB/M, Wireless 360 pad+dongle, Win10, ASUS BD drive.

This PC will be 35-40% more powerful than a PS4Pro, all games will benefit from the GPU power, not just a limited segment, and no online fees. Not much reason to have the BD Drive, could swap it for a jump to 8GB VRAM. EVO 212 isn't needed, but trust me you don't want to listen to a stock AMD fan while gaming unless you're looking for that authentic launch PS4 fan volume.

$600 is about the line when you're talking a gaming system. I priced one out and came to $640, and you get:

Core V21 Case, EVGA 600W bronze, ASUS AM3+ motherboard, AMD FX-6300 with free Deus Ex code, Hyper Evo 212 Heatsink/Fan, MSI Armor RX 480 4GB, 2x4GB DDR3-1866, WD Blue 1TB HDD, KB/M, Wireless 360 pad+dongle, Win10, ASUS BD drive.

This PC will be 35-40% more powerful than a PS4Pro, all games will benefit from the GPU power, not just a limited segment, and no online fees. Not much reason to have the BD Drive, could swap it for a jump to 8GB VRAM. EVO 212 isn't needed, but trust me you don't want to listen to a stock AMD fan while gaming.

I agree with you about the pricing range. Personally I'd go for the I3 6100 or whatever new one they release instead though. It's a significantly better CPU.

But a $600 build with more modern parts gives you a lot of future upgrade options as well.

He isn't that far off.

i5 750 $40

Arctic Alpine 11 Cooler $10

Intel DZ68DB Motherboard $60

8GB AMD DDR3 Ram $20

Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
$240

EVGA 430W PSU $40

WD 320GB HDD
$20

Azza CSAZ Case $20

Windows $25

Total $475

To be fair you can get a PS4 Pro for $380

Alright, here we go, this is a damn solid post!

Wow, this thread.

The party line is how PC gaming is all about spending thousands of dollars and constant upgrades. Video series like the Potato Masher showing budget PC gaming as not only viable but extremely competitive to low-cost consoles throws that idea out of the window. It must be upsetting to have proof shut down the fallacies people have been repeating for years, which explains the replies in this thread.

This on the other hand... the party line ey? Anyone who has any sense can see there are advantages and disadvantages to any platform choice. That's how it is, and how it's always been.

Core V21 Case, EVGA 600W bronze PSU, ASUS AM3+ motherboard, AMD FX-6300 with free Deus Ex code, Hyper Evo 212 Heatsink/Fan, MSI Armor RX 480 4GB, 2x4GB DDR3-1866, WD Blue 1TB HDD, KB/M, Wireless 360 pad+dongle, Win10, ASUS BD drive.

This PC will be 35-40% more powerful than a PS4Pro, all games will benefit from the GPU power, not just a limited segment, and no online fees. Not much reason to have the BD Drive, could swap it for a jump to 8GB VRAM. EVO 212 isn't needed, but trust me you don't want to listen to a stock AMD fan while gaming unless you're looking for that authentic launch PS4 fan volume.

never pair an amd gpu with an amd cpu if you care at all about 60 fps

mcz117chief

even $450 seems expensive to build a computer to match a ps4 pro. i just dumpster dive outside my nearest electronic store and built a rig that runs games at 4k 60 fps so i don't even know why anyone would waste money on a ps4 pro when you can get a pc out of the trash for free

Bloody hell is this real or is this some kind of prank? If it's true then that's pretty darn amazing.

Top Bottom