• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 at 4K - $450 PC vs PS4 Pro - The Potato Masher Pro

Kevtones

Good thing is even if this dollar store PC loses the gaming battle it can still do all of the tasks pertaining to your actual life.

i5 750 overclocked to 3.7 ghz
Asus P7H55 LGA 1156 motherboard

That reeks of desperation to prove a point.

Those are 6 or 7 years old parts at this point of time and while cpu is still fine (if overclocked it can beat most of what Amd sells today) but with mainboard it's asking for troubles and finding replacement one is getting expensive.

jwhit28

Those are 6 or 7 years old parts at this point of time and while cpu is still fine (if overclocked it can beat most of what Amd sells today) but with mainboard it's asking for troubles and finding replacement one is getting expensive.

The series started when PS4 was released. 2500k wasn't $80 used like it is now. But yeah if you don't like to tinker it's best not to go that many sockets back.

RibMan

The greatest irony of the threads like these are that when it's a DF video showing how close a Pro can get to PC performance wise the thread is quite positive, people happy about their purchase "Pro is a beast" etc. Have the opposite and it's just constant posts about how yea, but it's impossible in Europe, it's still not as cheap etc. Entirely missing the point of the video and thread which is to help try and clear up misconceptions created around PC gaming. Yes it's not as cheap, or as simple, it's all about options, open platforms and modular design on PC and it certainly eclipses the competition in that regard. As someone who owns a PC and a Pro and loves them both I get so sick of this shit.

It's also important to note as I did above that resolutions and subsequent performance are very much different on console with checkerboarding than native resolution etc.

I respectfully disagree.

What people are arguing is that when you're building a PC using donated and used parts, you're not providing an accurate evaluation of the real-world costs involved in building a 4K capable PC. Comparison's are built on a principle of objectivity, and when the information provided is misleading, it undermines the very purpose of the comparison. For example, if I said "My $4.99 PS4 Pro beats a $9.99 PC", the responses would be "$4.99 PS4 Pro where?" and "What kind of PC costs $9.99.?" People would point out that the comparison I have made isn't reliable because it does not use the average cost of entry for those platforms. The majority of people are not going to be able to acquire a $4.99 PS4 Pro or a $9.99 PC.

The reason console-only gamers are positive when they learn that the Pro version comes close to the PC version is because they know that by buying the console version, they aren't buying into a noticeably inferior experience. Console versions will almost always be inferior to the PC version, so the hope is that the differences between the console and PC version do not make the console version a regrettable purchase. $60 is a lot of money for a game, so it makes sense that people would want the best bang for their buck. Personally, I think if people want the best value for their games then PC is the way to go. But I realize that a lot of people might not have the time, money, and capabilities to build a gaming PC.

Furthermore, I don't understand why people are dismissing the comments from European gamers. When people in Europe point out that it's next to impossible to build a gaming PC for $450 in their respective country, they're not trying to undermine the Potato Masher comparison by providing misleading information. They're simply pointing out that the cost(s) of building a PC outside of the US are, on average, higher than building the same PC in the US.

I don't think this needs mentioning, but when people say "PS4 is a beast", that shouldn't upset you: it's a long-running joke. I think the joke originated (correct me if I'm wrong) via the announcement of 8GB GDDR5 RAM in the console. I believe it was Shinobi who was the first to call it a beast.

Oni Jazar

Good thing is even if this dollar store PC loses the gaming battle it can still do all of the tasks pertaining to your actual life.

Hah no one uses desktops anymore but gamers. I hate these potato series because they are bad pcs and the pricing is misleading. Anyone who wants to get into pc gaming should not go so low. 2k is overpowered but you should expect to pay at least 600+ for anything worthwhile.

AmFreak

Though i agree that it's not a fair comparison, i did the same 2 years ago.
A new 4 core oc-able Intel cpu/mobo combo would have cost me triple the amount i paid and the AMD solution would have resulted in double amount with less power.

Zemm

Wow, this thread.

The party line is how PC gaming is all about spending thousands of dollars and constant upgrades. Video series like the Potato Masher showing budget PC gaming as not only viable but extremely competitive to low-cost consoles throws that idea out of the window. It must be upsetting to have proof shut down the fallacies people have been repeating for years, which explains the replies in this thread.

The Potato Masher Pro is a GOAT machine for more than just performance reasons

I respectfully disagree.

What people are arguing is that when you're building a PC using donated and used parts, you're not providing an accurate evaluation of the real-world costs involved in building a 4K capable PC. Comparison's are built on a principle of objectivity, and when the information provided is misleading, it undermines the very purpose of the comparison. For example, if I said "My $4.99 PS4 Pro beats a $9.99 PC", the responses would be "$4.99 PS4 Pro where?" and "What kind of PC costs $9.99.?" People would point out that the comparison I have made isn't reliable because it does not use the average cost of entry for those platforms. The majority of people are not going to able to acquire a $4.99 PS4 Pro or a $9.99 PC.

The reason console-only gamers are positive when they learn that the Pro version comes close to the PC version is because they know that by buying the console version, they aren't buying into a noticeably inferior experience. Console versions will almost always be inferior to the PC version, so the hope is that the differences between the console and PC version do not make the console version a regrettable purchase. $60 is a lot of money for a game, so it makes sense that people would want the best bang for their buck. Personally, I think if people want the best value for their games then PC is the way to go. But I realize that a lot of people might not have the time, money, and capabilities to build a gaming PC.

Furthermore, I don't understand why people are dismissing the comments from European gamers. When people in Europe point out that it's next to impossible to build a gaming PC for $450 in their respective country, they're not trying to undermine the Potato Masher comparison by providing misleading information. They're simply pointing out that the cost(s) of building a PC outside of the US are, on average, higher than building the same PC in the US.

I don't think this needs mentioning, but when people say "PS4 is a beast", that shouldn't upset you: it's a long-running joke. I think the joke originated (correct me if I'm wrong) via the announcement of 8GB GDDR5 RAM in the console. I believe it was Shinobi who was the first to call it a beast.

Well said!

Durante

A 5 year old Intel quadcore is honestly a much better choice for a very cheap gaming machine than anything AMD offers right now. This might change in 2017, but it's clearly the case right now.

As of 2016, I think people have laptops / tablets for basic productivity.
Really?
Seriously, I can't really imagine using a tablet for productive work -- I have a hard enough time with a laptop but at least in that case I can imagine it works for other professions.

viHuGi

Banned
A 5 year old Intel quadcore is honestly a much better choice for a very cheap gaming machine than anything AMD offers right now. This might change in 2017, but it's clearly the case right now.

Really?
Seriously, I can't really imagine using a tablet for productive work -- I have a hard enough time with a laptop but at least in that case I can imagine it works for other professions.

Most people use tablets and laptops, not desktops.

Ivan

How good is the original potato masher with newest games, he built it for the whole generation, right?

I'd like to see some results please.

How good is the original potato masher with newest games, he built it for the whole generation, right?

I'd like to see some results please.

He's still making the standard Potato Masher videos, there are comparisons for many recent games like Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2. Most of the time the Masher wins but there are exceptions, usually games where the port is bad.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Really?

I guess it depends on what kind of work you're talking about.

My father in law is a real-estate agent, buying/selling that kind of crap and he's always glued to his samsung tablet, even if at family gatherings or dinners etc.

KJRS_1993

It's not really a $450 PC though.

Can we not just be friends without having to twist facts and use a slightly liberal interpretation of the truth to prove a point that isn't particularly important anyway?

nded

I guess it depends on what kind of work you're talking about.

My father in law is a real-estate agent, buying/selling that kind of crap and he's always glued to his samsung tablet, even if at family gatherings or dinners etc.

I know I wouldn't want to work with Solidworks or Mastercam on a tablet or even a laptop any time soon.

Sometimes price to performance ratio and ease of repair trumps portability.

Darkroronoa

wow some of these posts :p

Its pretty great that you can build a cheap rig with a little time investing, its one of the reason i play on PC since i can upgrade it whenever i feel the need. Selling old parts and buying upgrades its fun for me.
Many of us have already decent PC's that only need a GPU upgrade, for the rest a little search for used parts with a mix of new and they can build a decent rig. The point is you dont need a big budget if you are willing to do a little shopping more. Going and buying the console is sure much easier but a PC can offer you more.

In my opinion even 100-150€ more than a pro is a money saver if you consider the money you save from games and online subscription. But i understand that looking at the initial cost PS4Pro look much cheaper. Consoles are great for people who play a few games per year, from my experience if you play lots of games and do online gaming a PC makes mroe sense.

viHuGi

Banned
Very light productivity maybe but if you work in tech, something with moderate data processing or anything that isn't very simplistic you need at least a laptop.

Most of the world doesn't care, that's why things like Surface and iPad exist, because pc is no longer dominant.

pelican

A new video from JERMGaming which provides an interesting look at how the Potato Masher Pro fares in Battlefield 1 with the PS4 Pro.

Am I the only one who finds the whole potato meme to be the work of immature, PC gaming children lacking in wit? The work of a child/manchild who feels owning a PC is a status symbol, making them superior over others who happen to own a console.

I say this as someone who owns a 6700K/1080 GTX & enjoys playing games on my PS4 Pro and XO.

Darkroronoa

Am I the only one who finds the whole potato meme to be the work of immature, PC gaming children lacking in wit? The work of a child/manchild who feels owning a PC is a status symbol, making them superior over others who happen to own a console.

I say this as someone who owns a 6700K/1080 GTX & enjoys playing games on my PS4 Pro and XO.

Its just a joke at this point, it always was a joke i think, more of a way to poke console players and "trigger" them. And probably attracts more views so many youtubers etc still use these phrases and "memes".

Renekton

I know I wouldn't want to work with Solidworks or Mastercam on a tablet or even a laptop any time soon.

Sometimes price to performance ratio and ease of repair trumps portability.
We're talking basic home productivity here though, I figured CAD/CAM work would be done on your employer's provided workstations.

For enterprise stuff like Oracle and SAP, definitely I prefer laptop. Bring to meetings, to datacenters, client's place, project room, VPN from home because I ain't lugging my gaming desktop to IT security office to get vetted for it.

RibMan

You are completely missing the point of these comparisons. You are treating them as buying advice when they are anything but.

I assume that when you put a dollar sign in front of an item, you're now dealing with a past, present, or future transaction. I could be wrong, but looking at the YouTube comments by the creator of the video, he's clearly offering buying advice by providing build recommendations and build options.

There's nothing wrong with offering buying advice via comparison videos. For example, let's say you've studied WW1 and you're interested in playing BF1. If you're searching for a platform to play the game at it's best -- in 4K with all of the bells and whistles -- and you come across the Potato Masher videos, the insight on the games performance on the Pro vs PC might be exactly what you're looking for.

I assume that when you put a dollar sign in front of an item, you're now dealing with a past, present, or future transaction. I could be wrong, but looking at the YouTube comments by the creator of the video, he's clearly offering buying advice by providing build recommendations and build options.

Dear God no, anyone who recommends this kind of build is not to be taken seriously. This is a fun experiment and it is useful for PC gamers thinking about upgrading an older system or console gamers still mistakenly believing that you need a $1500 PC at the bare minimum. Noone would recommend that you go and buy a Core i5 750 in this day and age.

These videos are great because they dispel the myth that consoles represent much better value than PC. It's useful information that PC hardware might be more expensive out the gate but much of it will survive multiple upgrades and still continue to offer great performance for many years.

Look at it this way. The original Potato Masher would have cost somewhere in the region of $700-800 if it was bought new back when its parts were still somewhat fresh in the market. It would have cost up to double the money of a new games console, maybe more. Anyone looking at just the upfront cost would reach the conclusion that the console is better value. That's not looking at the whole picture. Not only do you get significantly higher performance with a PC, many parts survive multiple upgrades and the PC saves you money over the long term. It's an investment that pays off over time and the Potato Masher proves it. An old PC provides better performance than the Pro with a $250 upgrade.

This is why taking the comparison at face value is missing the point by miles. If you are actually interested in dabbling in PC gaming these videos show you that your investment is worth it.

Blinck

I can't believe there are people on this thread defending this comparison. This really is absolutely shitty, unfair, and very misleading specially from the title.

I respectfully disagree.

What people are arguing is that when you're building a PC using donated and used parts, you're not providing an accurate evaluation of the real-world costs involved in building a 4K capable PC. Comparison's are built on a principle of objectivity, and when the information provided is misleading, it undermines the very purpose of the comparison. For example, if I said "My $4.99 PS4 Pro beats a $9.99 PC", the responses would be "$4.99 PS4 Pro where?" and "What kind of PC costs $9.99.?" People would point out that the comparison I have made isn't reliable because it does not use the average cost of entry for those platforms. The majority of people are not going to be able to acquire a $4.99 PS4 Pro or a $9.99 PC.

It matters not though, we've tried to have budget build threads discussing this with new parts, and linked US, EU, AU part picker lists etc. and people still naysayer unabashedly. I understand in the context of this specific thread/video what you are saying. I'm just saying people here have bought in so heavily to misconceptions around PC in general. Hell we still have threads full of people talking about how "Why would I play on PC when I can play on my couch with a controller." or "Yea but, I don't want to spend $1000+ to get a PS4 equivalent PC." things like that. It's absolutely rampant. I can provide builds for nearly anyone, and yes they are going to be more expensive, but as has been said many times it's not a 1:1 comparison. PC can do many many things a console cannot. Obviously I get the argument that people want to get a PC specifically for gaming so that's all it should be judged on, but I'm just sick of people going "You can't get a PS4 for $400 that is equivalent to the pro, therefore all discussion is moot"

There are still many many use cases where PC is a better value/buy for people. It's just a good option to have and has significantly more robust options than console both at purchase and long term. Why not even consider it? People have a irrational fear of gaming PC's.

I have a PC myself (i7 6700k, GTX 1070) and a Pro, so best of both worlds but I always find these comparisons a bit off, especially when people start adding up the costs of parts but always leave out stuff like the OS, mouse, keyboard and monitor, which will add more to the cost.

While you could use a TV for the PC, most will use a monitor, so that really shouldn't be left out and while you could argue you need a TV for a console, you don't normally buy a TV just to use with a console, as most people will already have a TV.

But for $399 / £349 the PS4 Pro is great value for what it offers.

I have a PC myself (i7 6700k, GTX 1070) and a Pro, so best of both worlds but I always find these comparisons a bit off, especially when people start adding up the costs of parts but always leave out stuff like the OS, mouse, keyboard and monitor, which will add more to the cost.

While you could use a TV for the PC, most will use a monitor, so that really shouldn't be left out and while you could argue you need a TV for a console, you don't normally buy a TV just to use with a console, as most people will already have a TV.

But for $399 / £349 the PS4 Pro is great value for what it offers.

So we should include a TV into a console purchase then by the same merit?

Anyway, here's the minimum I would personally recommend (Above the Pro by a margin obviously, but mainly it's for some future proofing. You could drop the price a bit in regards to RAM, case, HDD and GPU if you want (A 470 would be about Pro Equiv and is like ~$150) I included M/K wireless combo. Didn't include OS just because it's a debatable topic.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($82.99 @ Jet)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.78 @ OutletPC)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($18.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: XFX Radeon RS RX 480 DirectX 12 RX-480P836BM Video Card ($210.00)
Total: $610.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-31 18:41 EST-0500

UK at a quick look you could go for something like this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (£106.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£59.69 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£85.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.48 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card (£187.99 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Logitech K270 Wireless Standard Keyboard (£17.40 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £578.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-31 23:50 GMT+0000

Certainly more expensive, but still very reasonable considering what you're getting. I didn't really look into deals for either tbh. You could probably with some digging find some really great stuff on things like Slickdeals etc. and lower your price even more.

A little OT, but the prices of used Intel processors are ridiculous. $180 for a 2600K? I can get a 6600K for $210 if I shop around. This is likely due to the lack of adequate competition in the CPU space.

A little OT, but the prices of used Intel processors are ridiculous. $180 for a 2600K? I can get a 6600K for $210 if I shop around. This is likely due to the lack of adequate competition in the CPU space.

Or people overvalue their hardware excessively into territory it will never sell at. I know people who do this and always end up trying to get near paid value from their old parts, never sell them, and end up tossing them out later or donating them to family/friends.

My guess is they usually sell around $100-120.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...596929?hash=item1c78ab9c81:g:0cQAAOSwnHZYXxt0

Apath

Dear God no, anyone who recommends this kind of build is not to be taken seriously. This is a fun experiment and it is useful for PC gamers thinking about upgrading an older system or console gamers still mistakenly believing that you need a $1500 PC at the bare minimum. Noone would recommend that you go and buy a Core i5 750 in this day and age.

These videos are great because they dispel the myth that consoles represent much better value than PC. It's useful information that PC hardware might be more expensive out the gate but much of it will survive multiple upgrades and still continue to offer great performance for many years.

Look at it this way. The original Potato Masher would have cost somewhere in the region of $700-800 if it was bought new back when its parts were still somewhat fresh in the market. It would have cost up to double the money of a new games console, maybe more. Anyone looking at just the upfront cost would reach the conclusion that the console is better value. That's not looking at the whole picture. Not only do you get significantly higher performance with a PC, many parts survive multiple upgrades and the PC saves you money over the long term. It's an investment that pays off over time and the Potato Masher proves it. An old PC provides better performance than the Pro with a $250 upgrade.

This is why taking the comparison at face value is missing the point by miles. If you are actually interested in dabbling in PC gaming these videos show you that your investment is worth it.
Honestly, going off this thread, I feel it's doing the complete opposite. You pay $700-$800 for a system, then $250 more to upgrade it to outperform a $400 console?

What is even being shown in the OP's video if not comparing the performance of two "similiarly" priced systems?

Honestly, going off this thread, I feel it's doing the complete opposite. You pay $700-$800 for a system, then $250 more to upgrade it to outperform a $400 console?

In the case of the PS4 and PS4 Pro it is to significantly outperform two $400 consoles. The idea is that if you opted to build a good gaming PC instead of buying a PS4 at launch you can easily stay ahead of the upgraded PS4 Pro with a simple GPU upgrade. This is what the video shows you. The upfront cost of a PC might seem scary to consumers used to the razors-and-razorblades model of console gaming but over time it is actually as good if not better value for money.

The video creator even says so in his intro. The point of his videos is to show that PC gaming can offer as good or even better value for money than consoles, not to push any sort of PC master race narrative. There are a lot of people who are completely misinformed on the topic of PC gaming costs, there's nothing wrong with letting them know that PC gaming isn't just about monster rigs. PC gaming on a budget is absolutely possible when one overcomes the initial sticker shock.

Metfanant

The ONLY fair comparison is retail vs retail...You will always be able to find random crazy deals, loop holes, pricing errors, whatever...but the basis of the comparison HAS to be what the item is readily selling for on the market...Random flash sales, used/refurbished parts or Black Friday deals should not even be considered...

In the case of the PS4 and PS4 Pro it is to significantly outperform two $400 consoles. The idea is that if you opted to build a good gaming PC instead of buying a PS4 at launch you can easily stay ahead of the upgraded PS4 Pro with a simple GPU upgrade. This is what the video shows you. The upfront cost of a PC might seem scary to consumers used to the razors-and-razorblades model of console gaming but over time it is actually as good if not better value for money.

The video creator even says so in his intro. The point of his videos is to show that PC gaming can offer as good or even better value for money than consoles, not to push any sort of PC master race narrative. There are a lot of people who are completely misinformed on the topic of PC gaming costs, there's nothing wrong with letting them know that PC gaming isn't just about monster rigs. PC gaming on a budget is absolutely possible when one overcomes the initial sticker shock.

You're 100% correct, but in my opinion, it does more damage to the cause than good when you deliberately skew the argument by using used components, or eBay prices, or anything along those lines...

IF you approach it from the value standpoint that you describe, it makes sense, and you might be able to start to make people understand the value proposition of PC gaming, but being disingenuous by saying I gave the security guard at the Intel labs a $5 bill and he let me look through the trash and I found an i7 CPU someone accidentally threw out, so the CPU cost of my build is only $5 is only going to piss people off...

Pretty much.

The initial cost of a PC is higher but over time jumping from generations usually just requires a GPU upgrade which doesn't cost much especially if your target is to just beat out the console performance.

My PC cost about £350 to build new 8 years ago AMD 955 HD 4870, it was specifically built to play multi platform games higher than what the PS360 were capable of and it did it's job, last year all I did was spent £70 on a GTX 760 and £20 on a RAM upgrade and now I'm running games higher than the PS4. That's a total of around £450 over 8 years to beat console performance and my system should stay ahead of the PS4 for it's lifetime, talking at least 2-3 more years. The inital cost was about £150 more than the PS3 at the time but overtime it's defintely been worth it.

Top Bottom