• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 - Worse IQ and Performance on PS4 Pro after newest Patch

_machine

Yet, some people are pretending nothing has changed across the board........

There's no way PC is affected so much, so many console gamers are feeling and noticing a change in fluidity/visuals or otherwise, yet everything is just as it were prior to this patch, it does not make sense....
Because an actual test is so much better than what people "feel". If you want to talk about proof, you should then expect proof for the negative outcome as well, otherwise you are likely let your preconceptions cloud judgement.
Okay, I can captures pre patch and now I've done some post patch on PS4, and done FPS counts by duplicate frames. It's a nightmare to do as you have to aim for similar weather conditions, as some of them impact performance.

And: there's no performance hit. The forest level was a heavy hitter before and after patch, but I see no decline in performance.

IQ is slightly softer due to TAA change, but at 4K it's barely noticeable.

This was done on a PS4 Pro only, for reference.

Because an actual test is so much better than what people "feel". If you want to talk about proof, you should then expect proof for the negative outcome as well, otherwise you are likely let your preconceptions cloud judgement.
It's fairly clear that the tests he has done were from the SP campaign which had no issues outputting at a smooth framerate anyways. There is no way to do Proper Tests anymore, since all the servers run the newer version.
There wouldn't be this many people "feel"ing something if there was no change.

_machine

It's fairly clear that the tests he has done were from the SP campaign which had no issues outputting at a smooth framerate anyways. There is no way to do Proper Tests anymore, since all the servers run the newer version.
There would be this many people "feel"ing something if there was no change.
Ah, that slipped by me. That's a fair point though, but I imagine at least some outlets would have some material to refer to for a test.

However, on the second point. Oh boy, there definitely could be. Speaking as a developer, placebo effect is absolutely humongous in games; I can't really mention any details other than, every patch I've shipped on for example the current game (with a massive userbase) I am working on has gotten ridiculous amounts of tickets about things that absolutely did not change; from performance to weapon balance to crashes. Everything that is statistically not corect, will still always yield a ton of feedback that is only based on preconceptions and placebo.

CrazyHal

Do you guys think that maybe, Dice took out the pro fps boost in multiplayer to put every player on equal ground? Theres been talk that the fps boost give pro players an advantage.

Sony has stated that pro players would never have an advantage over OG ps4 players so perhaps they force Dice's hands?

Do you guys think that maybe, Dice took out the pro fps boost in multiplayer to put every player on equal ground? Theres been talk that the fps boost give pro players an advantage.

No, because not every map has issues.
Most maps still run way better than on original PS4.

thelastword

Banned
I have no problem with either outcome, but if you want to prove something, you need to have some evidence.

Ah, that slipped by me. That's a fair point though, but I imagine at least some outlets would have some material to refer to for a test.

However, on the second point. Oh boy, there definitely could be. Speaking as a developer, placebo effect is absolutely humongous in games; I can't really mention any details other than, every patch I've shipped on for example the current game (with a massive userbase) I am working on has gotten ridiculous amounts of tickets about things that absolutely did not change; from performance to weapon balance to crashes. Everything that is statistically not corect, will still always yield a ton of feedback that is only based on preconceptions and placebo.
Lets use a small example, certain members from DF said that BF1 had no changes on PRO's launch, when other persons who played everyday noticed better rez and smoother framerates on the PS4.PRO....It was later proven that these players were right.....

Apparently, even DF staff need the tools and framecounters to notice much higher rez and better framerates as well....I'm just saying, since they're in the business of doing analyses through tools and not through their own eagle eyes and "feel counters", that a more objective piece on this debate would be most welcome....I may be drawing straws here...Feel free to correct me if that is the case however.....^

So this has been debunked by DF?

We're gonna get people who don't know what they're talking about saying that every time a game has a patch on Pro aren't we?

A big drama over every pro patch on every game?

Surfinn

Performance seems to be worse across the board. It's far worse here on PC for me (other people commented on this in the game I was playing too).

d9b

Banned
So this has been debunked by DF?

We're gonna get people who don't know what they're talking about saying that every time a game has a patch on Pro aren't we?

A big drama over every pro patch on every game?

Yes.

"UPDATE 16/11/16 10:02am: We've seen reports and discussion of reduced performance on PlayStation 4 Pro since the introduction of patch 1.04 yesterday, leading to speculation that the Pro features are disabled in the new update. Temporal anti-aliasing has been been tweaked, but we can rule out the disabling of Pro enhancements as our data is taken from the game running the 1.04 update. We've also just re-ran a small section of campaign tests and see no obvious impact to performance."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...eld-1-smoother-and-more-responsive-on-ps4-pro

Okay, I can captures pre patch and now I've done some post patch on PS4, and done FPS counts by duplicate frames. It's a nightmare to do as you have to aim for similar weather conditions, as some of them impact performance.

And: there's no performance hit. The forest level was a heavy hitter before and after patch, but I see no decline in performance.

IQ is slightly softer due to TAA change, but at 4K it's barely noticeable.

This was done on a PS4 Pro only, for reference.

So it looking slightly softer to me on a 1080p screen isn't placebo?

Also, Argonne Forest still runs bad for me. Hope they revert whatever they did. :/

I'm not seeing the visual and performance issues some are having.

Ive been playing conquest all day.

They did fix the pitch black lighting inside buildings which is a huuuuuuge relief.

Yes.

"UPDATE 16/11/16 10:02am: We've seen reports and discussion of reduced performance on PlayStation 4 Pro since the introduction of patch 1.04 yesterday, leading to speculation that the Pro features are disabled in the new update. Temporal anti-aliasing has been been tweaked, but we can rule out the disabling of Pro enhancements as our data is taken from the game running the 1.04 update. We've also just re-ran a small section of campaign tests and see no obvious impact to performance."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...eld-1-smoother-and-more-responsive-on-ps4-pro

DF has only tested the patched version. How exactly does this debunk an earlier version running better?

The amount of drive-by posts in this thread trying to make this a non-issue is weird.

Stillmatic

DF has only tested the patched version. How exactly does this debunk an earlier version running better?

The amount of drive-by posts in this thread trying to make this a non-issue is weird.

You just ignoring this?

I have briefly tested this 1.04 patch and it all seems to contain the same res, asset upgrade and fps gains I covered in my first video.
The forest stage is always one of the worse due to large sections of geometry. Overdraw and destruction so I think this did and will stand out till more patches are made.

Baseline is Pro version still looks and runs better than base PS4 by a sizable margin.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224634159&postcount=112

You also think pre-patch was better than this?
DF said:
Huge upgrade in performance
Image quality has improved with supersampling for 1080p owners
50% frame-rate increase in worst-case scenario (30fps on base - 45fps on Pro)
If base model is in the 40s, the Pro is usually locked at 60fps
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1315077&page=1

nomis

The amount of posts continually trying to reaffirm a barely appreciable downgrade instead of just having fun playing the game is weird. The pro framerate didn't suddenly become "bad".

I can see the game performing worse on my console. Noticeably jerkier than the smooth output pre-patch in Argonne Forest. I'd have to see a gameplay comparison on that map pre and post patch to believe that I'm seeing things that aren't there.
The amount of posts continually trying to reaffirm a barely appreciable downgrade instead of just having fun playing the game is weird. The pro framerate didn't suddenly become "bad".

You're not forced to read the thread if you don't notice the drop in performance and continue having fun with the game.

NXGamer

The only way to prove anything is to show screens and do framerate tests. DF or NX saying that there is no issue or no changes means nothing unless they prove it......

It's the same way DF said there was no changes/pro upgrades to battlefield-1 at the launch, and the fact-detector proved that was not so....So unless we get the proof, I'm inclined to believe persons who have the game and have been playing day in and day out....
Fair point, my test was just sp and 2 games from previous tests. I will be covering the game in more depth again this weekend so I will ensure I cover as in-depth and close as I can to see if we have any bigger changes.

There's no way Argonne Forest is the same pre and post patch.

I'm fairly confident in my ability to spot FPS differences but even if I wasn't, there is a marked degradation in FPS that wasn't there before.

Argonne Forest was one of my favorite maps pre patch. And it had FPS issues, especially when gas grenades would be funneled into tight corners into Rush. Or when the train would start firing as explosions are occurring.

But now there's framerate drops when I'm simply moving towards an area of combat, which weren't there before.

Fair point, my test was just sp and 2 games from previous tests. I will be covering the game in more depth again this weekend so I will ensure I cover as in-depth and close as I can to see if we have any bigger changes.

Hi NXGamer, would it be possible for you to test the argonne forest map on TDM and Domination. Those two modes were flawsless before patch 1.04.

-hadouken

Downgrade or not, all console platforms could benefit from a graphics mode that focusses on maximising performance. I never fully bond with games that suffer from an erratic framerate. A dedicated 1080P mode for Pro would be a godsend. Let us turn off that new blurry AA too!

Well we can rule out the possibility that all of us are not "seeing" things.

How long does it take for them to fix these kind of issues in general?

Lulu23

I hope they'll just revert to 1.03 TAA, it looked much sharper and with supersampling on the Pro I didn't notice any jaggies anyways.

Edit: I didn't mean "revert to 1.03", I meant that I hope they'll revert to the Anti-Aliasing method that the version before patch 1.04 ran. Just for clarification.

I hope they'll just revert to 1.03 TAA, it looked much sharper and with supersampling on the Pro I didn't notice any jaggies anyways.

I'm no developer, but that doesn't seem like a viable option with the hundreds(I think) of changes they introduced with this latest patch.

Lulu23

I'm no developer, but that doesn't seem like a viable option with the hundreds(I think) of changes they introduced with this latest patch.

They can't revert to another AA method because of all the other changes?

TAA = Temporal Anti-Aliasing, maybe I should have written that out.

kriskrosbbk

The guy that answered "we are looking into it" answered me but I am not sure we can trust him given the answers. He asked me twice the same thing :

pLYZxAJ.png

to this feed:

VBpLLJ3.png

kriskrosbbk

Interesting post from the PC forum.

HVA_HEADBUSTA wrote:
I think I know what the problem is.
I usually run the Render.DrawScreenInfo command in my user config file, and today I noticed something I've never seen before. Right after the DirectX version label and screen resolution, there is now (HDR_disabled), in parentheses just like that. I've never seen that before, in BF1 or any other Frostbite game.
Without HDR enabled (we're talking about HDR mechanics in game that render the subtle differences in the way light is reflected, not some monitor or tv technology) the image would look more flat or bland, almost like it has a grayish tinted filter, and other elements such as colors and textures wouldn't pop as much.
After seeing some of the comparison screen caps showing pre-patch vs post, it's pretty obvious the lighting is what had a downgrade. So I'm pretty sure this (HDR_disabled) thing is what's causing the perceived graphics downgrade.

Top Bottom