• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 - Worse IQ and Performance on PS4 Pro after newest Patch

The only time I've noticed worse IQ is the Victory screen at the end of a round. The res seems to drop really low there.

this is the only time i noticed it too. i used to look forward to that bit pre patch 1.04 so i could buzz of the sharpness and detail of the soldier and ground.

now it just blurs, maybe they have done that bit on purpose?

That's just the adaptive brightness/HDR (not the TV HDR, but lightning engine HDR, present in many other games). It's always been there.

Can you turn it off?

it's REALLY distracting

EDIT: Interesting... I see that the "brightness" is set to 50 percent on XB1, but it's 0 on PS4Pro

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Visuals and performance still fucked?

Just got this from Walmart for $27, but I have a PS4Pro.

Haven't popped it in yet so no idea what performance is like.

Fix incoming:

DICE said:
Hi all,

We found an issue that explains a lot of the issues mentioned in this thread, e.g. FPS drops and blurry textures. The issue relates to the dynamic resolution where the minimum was too high.

We have a fix for this for all platforms (except PC that does not use dynamic resolution) and it will be included in the next patch.

Nils

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-u...d-1-on-ps4-pro-edit-1-04-patch-downgrade/p106

Looks like fixing the minimum resolution in the previous patch caused this issue.

The Dude

Great to hear, the game just didn't feel right after that patch. Glad to hear they are admitting the problem and plan to fix. Thank you Dice

-griffy-

Banned
Wait, how would the minimum resolution being set too high result in blurrier textures? Do the textures change based on performance too or something? Also, it sounds like the fix will result in a lower resolution?

Wait, how would the minimum resolution being set too high result in blurrier textures? Do the textures change based on performance too or something? Also, it sounds like the fix will result in a lower resolution?

Definitely sounds like they are going to lower the minimum res.

PaNaMa

Banned
So... they found an issue that relates to the game's dynamic resolution "minumum" set "too high"

I'm inferring here, obviously, but I take his meaning to be the game wasn't downscaling resolution (to 900p for example) as often as it should in busy situations. That it was holding 1080p in situations where the dynamic resolution scaler should have reduced image quality.

In other words, the problem they found was the image quality was staying "too good" (thus impacting FPS). I thought the general complaint was that image quality got *worse* since the patch? Not that it had become "too crisp" due to maintaining higher resolution at the expense of frames.. I'm confused

The Dude

Yea good point, after re reading what they're saying I'm confused to.

The game looked and ran better, that first day with the pro it popped more graphically and it ran a hell of a lot smoother on pro, it's amazing how it has to get fucked. Because it was damn near perfect, as can be expected for a console and was definitely a step up from original ps4

DICE clarified:
DICE said:
Hi,

I need to clarify a few things. Before the patch (i.e. version 1.02) there was no minimum at all. In 1.04 we added a minimum but due to a bug that got calculated the wrong way and was set way too high. In the next patch we are going to have minimum but it will be properly set.

The quality of the textures are, since launch, untouched.

thelastword

Banned
So we weren't crazy after all :D
Gamers who actually play the game are always the best judges of these things, you know when IQ got worse, you know when framerate got worse. For people who don't play the game to say "oh it's the same"...it's all placebo etc...are just persons who are normally pro corporation and hate complaints about anything at all....

I remember there was a time this game had a resolution drop of 160 x 90p on the consoles, so something weird happens with their dynamic resolution sometimes. I'm glad they have nailed the root cause of all these discrepancies.

-hadouken

Fantastic news. With a dynamic game like BF1, this was not something that would necessarily be picked up by the likes of Digital Foundry, as like for like footage simply doesn't exist.

Hopefully performance is on par with 1.02, tho it could still be better in 64P modes. As for the IQ, I'd argue that the TAA added to all consoles with 1.04 makes the game look blurrier than necessary on PS4Pro (1080P displays). One size fits all is the problem here.

-griffy-

Banned
Gamers who actually play the game are always the best judges of these things, you know when IQ got worse, you know when framerate got worse. For people who don't play the game to say "oh it's the same"...it's all placebo etc...are just persons who are normally pro corporation and hate complaints about anything at all....
Yeah, that's exactly what happened, it wasn't that there was all kinds of contradictory information, screenshot comparisons, and video analyses from people playing the game coming out in the days after the patch, befuddling everything.

"way too high"

I don't know why I got a lulz out of that... I wonder how high it actually was.

The one problem with our previous patch was that it was almost too good.

More seriously, having a proper minimum set normally will be nice. Performance will be good but that strange shit from launch wont happen either. I thought it was very strange at launch that they actually allowed the game to run as low as it wanted, making the picture randomly twitch to the quality of a JPG from 1998.

black070

Yeah, that's exactly what happened, it wasn't that there was all kinds of contradictory information, screenshot comparisons, and video analyses from people playing the game coming out in the days after the patch, befuddling everything.

This - the "us real gamers" stance is dumbfounded. Especially so when Dice are reaffirming that the texture quality has remained untouched.

I remember there was a time this game had a resolution drop of 160 x 90p on the consoles, so something weird happens with their dynamic resolution sometimes. I'm glad they have nailed the root cause of all these discrepancies.
Idk I put atleast 20+ hours on bf1 on the pro. It doesn't look different to me. Overall I have 70ish hours on bf1 for PS4.

Top Bottom